Realistic Renders...NOT!! 11 "Hello Rogerbee!"

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited February 2013

You do portraits as you know I do full blown scenes which sometimes can draw more noise as far as the white painted spots in Lux as i mentioned if I see a hint of this I will change my lighting...

Reason I can produce so many renders is I can do it @ work..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Fair enough,

I do want to get to scenes eventually. If I get bored of characters I'll put them into scenes.

CHEERS!

• madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Exactly. I don't have that kind of flexibility. I'm glad that you do, but I have to work under much more limited conditions. I only have a few hours a week, at home, that I can work on renders. Thus my need to balance between quality and quantity. I know that I need a large quantity of renders, with a very limited amount of time. The only question is how to queeze the maximum amount of quality out of the limited time I have to work with. I'm realistic in my expectations - I know my renders will be low on the overall quality scale. I also think that I can likely improve my work and still keep my render times fast.

If anyone has anything specific to recommend regarding the portrait I posted, I would love to have some specific constructive criticism.

Thanks!

edited February 2013

Ok, specific to that render,

The skin and hair look a bit flat. If you have any textures that have presets for the HSS make a note of them and use them as a base to work from. I started with the Elite textures and ones by MaleM3dia.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited February 2013

MadisonXF said:
    Bobvan said:

Exactly. I don't have that kind of flexibility. I'm glad that you do, but I have to work under much more limited conditions. I only have a few hours a week, at home, that I can work on renders. Thus my need to balance between quality and quantity. I know that I need a large quantity of renders, with a very limited amount of time. The only question is how to queeze the maximum amount of quality out of the limited time I have to work with. I'm realistic in my expectations - I know my renders will be low on the overall quality scale. I also think that I can likely improve my work and still keep my render times fast.

If anyone has anything specific to recommend regarding the portrait I posted, I would love to have some specific constructive criticism.

Thanks!

You can use the basic lighting as per examples I posted a few frames above

OT that Cyclops is one of the best 10 bucks I spent on content. Little bugger is generating me hundreds of dollars in commish revenue...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Title: Pocket Zeus

This is Genesis in Poser, the Basic Child morph combined with Freak 5 and some African Male for the face, using the Rob Elite texture with SSS applied using EZSkin2.

Pocket-Zeus-illustration001.jpg
    1600 x 960 - 128K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I don't really do superhero type pictures but i thought I'd give it a shot. probably be the last too lol.

cassie_nova_cs_small_jpg.jpg
    976 x 1080 - 486K
    edited December 1969

Title: Pocket Zeus

This is Genesis in Poser, the Basic Child morph combined with Freak 5 and some African Male for the face, using the Rob Elite texture with SSS applied using EZSkin2.

Nicely done!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I don't really do superhero type pictures but i thought I'd give it a shot. probably be the last too lol.

There's some really nice effects going on there and the water round her feet and the splashes made by them look really nice.

Well done!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Hey, Bob,

This could be right up your street:

http://www.daz3d.com/giantology

CHEERS!

edited February 2013

Rogerbee said:

Hey, Bob,

CHEERS!

LOL indeed but those are beastly ogres its not really what I do perhaps for commish projects like the Cyclops...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Not exactly a realistic render, but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway. A fair amount of postwork was used to bring out the details, as well as give texture to the overall image. The actual effect was done using multiple renders and applying each previous render as a texture to the picture to get the hall of mirror effect.

Infinity_web.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 684K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Not exactly a realistic render, but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway. A fair amount of postwork was used to bring out the details, as well as give texture to the overall image. The actual effect was done using multiple renders and applying each previous render as a texture to the picture to get the hall of mirror effect.

so this is the looking at a painting thats looking at a painting, thats looking at a painting effect?

edited February 2013

Rogerbee said:
    Ok, specific to that render,

The skin and hair look a bit flat. If you have any textures that have presets for the HSS make a note of them and use them as a base to work from. I started with the Elite textures and ones by MaleM3dia.

CHEERS!

Thanks for the tip. I have been using one of the HSS tutorials and using those settings for skin. I'll dig into some of the texture sets I already have and see if they have more effective settings that I can use as a base.

For the hair, you mentioned using UberSurface for it...are you talking about the included, basic Ubersurface shaders in DS4.5, or are you using some of the add-on products such as UberSurface 2, Uberhair, etc.

Thanks.

You can use the basic lighting as per examples I posted a few frames above

OT that Cyclops is one of the best 10 bucks I spent on content. Little bugger is generating me hundreds of dollars in commish revenue...

As long as I turn off raytracing, my render times with Lantios lights are really fast (10 minutes or less). As soon as I throw on RT (especially with hair) it balloons right up.

I've had my eye on that Cyclops figure for awhile. I'm going to grab a few more monster sets today for the current sale. Wish the Cyclops was part of it.

Post edited by madisonx_c5746f56a5 on
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

There's some really nice effects going on there and the water round her feet and the splashes made by them look really nice.

Well done!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

You inspired me, I had to do a Hall of Mirrors in DS..

Hall_of_Mirrors.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 404K
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Rogerbee said:

Hey, Bob,

CHEERS!

LOL indeed but those are beastly ogres its not really what I do perhaps for commish projects like the Cyclops...

Well, I was thinking more of the scaling, you can use whatever heads you please.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Nice,

They don't have to be too realistic, if you like it, post it!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Love that,

You'll have to clue us in on how you did that.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

MadisonXF said:

Thanks for the tip. I have been using one of the HSS tutorials and using those settings for skin. I'll dig into some of the texture sets I already have and see if they have more effective settings that I can use as a base.

For the hair, you mentioned using UberSurface for it...are you talking about the included, basic Ubersurface shaders in DS4.5, or are you using some of the add-on products such as UberSurface 2, Uberhair, etc.

Thanks.

I mean the shader presets, Reby Sky hair has them built in and I used those settings as a base. This is worth a read:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Rareth said:

Love that,

CHEERS!

its just Vicky inside a cube. with plane primatives keeping the floor and ceiling from being relfective.

cube shader settings
    Daz Default Shader

Diffuse Black
    Diffuse Strength 0

Specular color black
    Specular Strength 100
    Glossiness 100

Relfection strength 100
    Reflection color white

Ambient strength 0

edited December 1969

Cool,

Thanks for that.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Cool,

Thanks for that.

CHEERS!

and some lights, don't forget the lights

edited December 1969

A few from my series. The cyclops guy was so happy he bought $70.00 worth more from me therefore used 10 of it by the giant set only grows them to 179% I grow them the nearly a thousand for my needs. A few nice ogres in the set from Rawn who also created the cyclops. I also "double" the sets and rather enlarge a second set vs shrinking the characters due the textures often getting messed up in Lux. inside the box

8497072100_d8cbb8bf18_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 93K
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 109K
    edited December 1969
    800 x 426 - 193K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Rareth said:

Love that,

CHEERS!

its just Vicky inside a cube. with plane primatives keeping the floor and ceiling from being relfective.

cube shader settings
    Daz Default Shader

Diffuse Black
    Diffuse Strength 0

Specular color black
    Specular Strength 100
    Glossiness 100

Relfection strength 100
    Reflection color white

Ambient strength 0
    You must have had fairly high raytrace bounces to get that many reflections though. What were your render settings out of interest?

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Rareth said:

Love that,

CHEERS!

cube shader settings
    Daz Default Shader

Diffuse Black
    Diffuse Strength 0

Specular color black
    Specular Strength 100
    Glossiness 100

Relfection strength 100
    Reflection color white

Ambient strength 0
    You must have had fairly high raytrace bounces to get that many reflections though. What were your render settings out of interest?

the only ones worth note are the shading rate which I set to 0.1 and Max Ray Trace Depth which is at 16 (max the slider will go)

edited December 1969

Here is a new version of the portrait I posted a page or two back. I changed the skin to Bree so that I can have a no-eyebrow option (wish that was standard with all skins!), upgraded to Interjection skin and eye shaders, copied the hair settings from Reby Elite hair, and pushed raytracing from 0 to 1,

Certainly an improvement, but I went from 10 minutes to 3 hours! Worth it? What do you think?

Player_Portrait_Female_Long_Brown.jpg
    550 x 400 - 145K
    edited February 2013

Yes much better! Few new ones pov

8500604639_bdd208fb29_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 178K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
This discussion has been closed.