Realistic Renders...NOT!! 11 "Hello Rogerbee!"

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Rareth said:
    I found a scene in the Poser Runtimes, I'm working on adapting to DAZ Studio, first step was remove all the Poser lights.

right now the scene is only lit with UE2 area light, with medium high quality, I still need to go through and check all the shaders for the objects to make sure there is no funny business from the poser shaders, and then go through and light the scene with the lighting I want, instead of trying to rely on UE to do the work.

If you wan to reduce the noise you need to cut down distance to 100 from 500 & crank up the occlusion samples to 250 or more and set UE to max quality

understood, this was just a test, and UE was the fastest way to just light the scene, and give me an idea of where I need to take this,

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Artini said:

Thanks, Rogerbee. There was a preset "Raytracing Off" for the hair and I have used it in my scene. I have to try rendering this scene
    with "raytracing on" for the hair, but since I like how the hair looked on my render, probably I will not do it soon.

That is about the only thing from Poser that I miss, you could turn off raytracing no matter what. UberSurface is pretty neat when you get the hang of it. I have Vanilla Sky presets that use it and I'll have to check them out.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    Just workign on some character designs for my comic... hope you like. :)

... and a few more.

Very nice,

When I'm not fiddling with other things, dial-spinning heads is one of my fortes too. I just got all the Creature Creator stuff for M4, once I GenX that lot I'll have a whole heap of fun!

CHEERS!

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    jerriecan said:
    Just workign on some character designs for my comic... hope you like. :)

... and a few more.

Very nice,

When I'm not fiddling with other things, dial-spinning heads is one of my fortes too. I just got all the Creature Creator stuff for M4, once I GenX that lot I'll have a whole heap of fun!

CHEERS!

I'm fast learning the joys of combining morphs. Love the creature creator morphs, next up is probably a turtle-man. Love how the head looks. :)

Now I just need to learn how to texture properly... :(

edited December 1969

I liked the horns you got with the M4 add-on's, they are separate from the head with their own textures, I don't think you got that with the Genesis ones. I so want to do a devil. I just wish someone did a Genesis version of Darkness from Legend.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

More Summer now,

This is as close as I could get to how she appeared in an episode of The Unit.

CHEERS!

S5_Summer_Unit_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 167K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...OK a comparison:

Leela's best friend Tracey.

First with UE lights

Second with the "Bonnie" studio light set with a Linear Point Light helper (also fixed the BME border, seems I inadvertently deleted it in the first pic).

teen_5_tracey_B_lights.jpg
    600 x 848 - 314K
    teen5_tracey.jpg
    600 x 848 - 353K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK a comparison:

First with UE lights

Second with the "Bonnie" studio light set with a Linear Point Light helper (also fixed the BME border, seems I inadvertently deleted it in the first pic).
    Definitely an improvement with the studio light set. The UE alone makes it look a little washed out.

More Summer now,

This is as close as I could get to how she appeared in an episode of The Unit.

CHEERS!

Looking pretty good. Are you using velvet effects on the skin?

This image took a while to render (Over 6 hours!). I used dual normal maps on her body but I think they somewhat overpowered the water specular map that was applied (from the Wet Body pack). The end result was still pretty striking, though not quite as intended. I'll probably go back and tweak this at some point to improve upon it. This uses UE2 for ambient lighting and four spotlights. Forgot to disable raytracing on two of them, which probably contributed heavily to the lengthy render time, and is also why she appears to have three shadows.

The water effect uses dual normal mappings with UberSurface2 as well as bump maps, and I'm rather pleased with the effect. There are also single normal maps on the ground around the pool. Dual would have been overboard there.

Ultimately, a fun experiment if not entirely fruitful.

Pool.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 899K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

A Picture from a project over at DreamSlayerArtworks where people pick a day and A theme to try and do a picture every week.

Here's mine "femme fatale Wednesday"

Since I like Girls with guns i figured this was a great excuse to do a bunch of picture with that theme in mind.

A_dangerous_angel_dsa_small_jpg.jpg
    1080 x 1057 - 373K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK a comparison:

First with UE lights

The one with the Bonnie lights looks the best, I believe that was an early work by Godin.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Looking pretty good. Are you using velvet effects on the skin?

This image took a while to render (Over 6 hours!). I used dual normal maps on her body but I think they somewhat overpowered the water specular map that was applied (from the Wet Body pack). The end result was still pretty striking, though not quite as intended. I'll probably go back and tweak this at some point to improve upon it. This uses UE2 for ambient lighting and four spotlights. Forgot to disable raytracing on two of them, which probably contributed heavily to the lengthy render time, and is also why she appears to have three shadows.

The water effect uses dual normal mappings with UberSurface2 as well as bump maps, and I'm rather pleased with the effect. There are also single normal maps on the ground around the pool. Dual would have been overboard there.

Ultimately, a fun experiment if not entirely fruitful.

Looks great, the water effects are really cool. Yes, I do use velvet on the skin, more of Summer in a minute.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

A Picture from a project over at DreamSlayerArtworks where people pick a day and A theme to try and do a picture every week.

Here's mine "femme fatale Wednesday"

Since I like Girls with guns i figured this was a great excuse to do a bunch of picture with that theme in mind.

Nice one DB!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

It had to happen,

I watched an episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles and just had to have another go at Summer. Somebody mentioned that she had a Polynesian jawline, it just so happened that some of the morphs in V4 Ethnic Faces were Polynesian, so I incorporated them and a few of my original settings to Sun and I’m pleased with what came out.

I’ll add hair and clothes later, right now I just want to concentrate on the face

CHEERS!

S5_Summer_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 171K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited December 1969

Further experiments with LantiosLights, preset "Lights06-NDS".
    http://www.daz3d.com/lantios-lights
    This time Hiroko morph from "Character Morphs for Genesis HIROism for H5"
    http://www.daz3d.com/character-morphs-for-genesis-hiroism-for-h5
    Caribbean Queen Hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/caribbean-queen-hair
    Fog camera from "Atmospheric Effects Cameras for DAZ Studio"
    http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio
    with added DoF
    Rendered in Daz Studio Pro 4.5 and I like the rendering time: 14 minutes 39.74 seconds

Hiroko10pic01.jpg
    900 x 1000 - 219K
    edited December 1969

Very nice!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

ok not a person this time.. just playing around with getting a frost effect in Bryce

Frosted-Pipe1.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 256K
  • Thadeus72Thadeus72 Posts: 408
    edited December 1969

very nice renders artini and rareth !

edited February 2013

Nice work,

Further refinements to Summer, that nose is a tough one to crack, but, I've run out of morphs and it's as close as I'll ever get. I set the subdivision to 2 and I like that.

Is there anything else I could do!?

CHEERS!

S5_Summer_02.jpg
    576 x 745 - 160K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • madisonx_c5746f56a5madisonx_c5746f56a5 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

She looks good, but as always Celebs are really hard. It will never be perfect, so don't stress that too much. Her cheeks seem a bit more....hollow, maybe?...than in most pics that I saw during a quick search.

I guess you just need to pick a base look, and go with that. Hard since her look has varied so much based on the personality of the character. River obviously is going to look very different from Cameron, simply because of the differences between a distrubed genius and a robot. And those characters will obviously differ from her 'real' look in non-character images, with things like smiles (gasp!).

Are you going for a particular look for her, or some kind of composite of her characters?

edited December 1969

It should only really be the hair that defines Summer as either character. Base pics aren't hard to come by, a set of pics where she looks the same in each one would be nice, but it has proved impossible. I just ran an animated gif I had from the episode I watched last night and the clip finished with a profile shot. That profile looked nothing like what I already had, so I've been making more refinements and will post them shortly.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

it's coming along great Rogerbee, really outstanding work..

now something different.. someone asked how to make a glow around a character in a different thread, I've tossed my two cents in there, but wanted to show the results of a little brain sweat and ingenuity here..

zapped2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 138K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Rogerbee and thadeus72.
    Great images, everyone.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK a comparison:

First with UE lights

The one with the Bonnie lights looks the best, I believe that was an early work by Godin.

CHEERS!
    ...m feelings as well. Besides looking a bit washed out, you can't see her teeth in the UE version which kind of creeps me out a bit. Had the same issue with Leela when I used the Teens5 UE lights. Probably could be worked out using HSS, but for now that is territory I won't venture into while still working in 32 bit.

Been using these lights for portraits and character pics since I first discovered them. I believe the Bonnie character was originally created for Vicky 4.1. The character is nice as well, I've worked with her before.

I really, really want LDP (and MoodMaster) for 4.5. It may not be photo real, but I have always loved the almost oil painting quality it gave to my work (I used to work in oils). If I want a photo, I'll drop a roll of high speed Ektacrhome in my old Ricoh SLR.

One of the 2D apps I've been wanting for a long time (even before my introduction into 3D) is Corel Painter.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Just thought it would be fun to post the test pic of the girl i used in my last picture. (wearing different dress, the one in the B&W wasn't meant to look good in colour )

Nothing fancy just basic stock D|S lights. spot/distance/ point. didn't feel like bothering with UE this time. Did use Ubersurface though. plus various tweaking here and there in the surface tab.

My thinking for my process is it doesn't have to look good, just good enough lol since i wont have much of the original left anyway.

wendy_x_jpg.jpg
    1256 x 1434 - 601K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...m feelings as well. Besides looking a bit washed out, you can't see her teeth in the UE version which kind of creeps me out a bit. Had the same issue with Leela when I used the Teens5 UE lights. Probably could be worked out using HSS, but for now that is territory I won't venture into while still working in 32 bit.

Been using these lights for portraits and character pics since I first discovered them. I believe the Bonnie character was originally created for Vicky 4.1. The character is nice as well, I've worked with her before.

I really, really want LDP (and MoodMaster) for 4.5. It may not be photo real, but I have always loved the almost oil painting quality it gave to my work (I used to work in oils). If I want a photo, I'll drop a roll of high speed Ektacrhome in my old Ricoh SLR.

One of the 2D apps I've been wanting for a long time (even before my introduction into 3D) is Corel Painter.

You so need to get into 64bit!

The HSS has been a revelation for me. For me, I used the Bonnie texture a lot but never actually dialled the character. LDP does intrigue me and hopefully Val will get round to it at some point.

I want Bryce, but, I will wait for a 64bit version that will make the most of what I've got.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    it's coming along great Rogerbee, really outstanding work..

now something different.. someone asked how to make a glow around a character in a different thread, I've tossed my two cents in there, but wanted to show the results of a little brain sweat and ingenuity here..

That's really cool, reminds me of the force lightning in Jedi.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Right,

I pulled an all-nighter and was awake early this morning tweaking Summer (not the girl herself, I'd get arrested) and I think I'm done now. I threw the kitchen sink at her (not literally of course), there's Genesis morphs, Morphs++ and V4 Ethnic faces in there and I think I'm there.

I'll add hair and clothes later

CHEERS!

Summer_S5_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Just thought it would be fun to post the test pic of the girl i used in my last picture. (wearing different dress, the one in the B&W wasn't meant to look good in colour )

Nothing fancy just basic stock D|S lights. spot/distance/ point. didn't feel like bothering with UE this time. Did use Ubersurface though. plus various tweaking here and there in the surface tab.

My thinking for my process is it doesn't have to look good, just good enough lol since i wont have much of the original left anyway.

Nice job!

CHEERS!

edited February 2013

Yikes!

That last Summer was awful!! As some of you well know, me saying I’m done with Summer is like George Lucas when he said he was done with the original Star Wars trilogy!

This time, I think I’m there. The trick to it was to keep all the modifications within the confines of the original face. Having done that I was on a roll.

Now she will get some clothes and hair!

CHEERS!

PS (A good thing to remember is to set edge interpolation to soft curves.)

Summer_S5_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 150K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969
    8473932896_14f67b22fc_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 236K
This discussion has been closed.