Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thanks for the updates, Redz. I have quite a few of your products. Great to have those fits. 

I have not had a chance to revisit the tutorials yet (pesky offline stuff interfering with online stuff, LOL) but will just go with the most recent. Thank you so much for putting those together!

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

I THINK I finally got the "Redz version" with Singular Blues morph worked out. I transferred Monique 7 and Karen 7. The only issue that jumps out to me is that the eye textures from the Genesis 3 materials don't seem to fit right some times. When that happened, I just used Genesis 8 eye materials.

I also found Genesis 8 Female fits for Redz Short Cropped Hair and Business hair over on Renderosity freebies. Thanks, Redz! heart

Fantastic results. Yes, the eye geometry has changed so some G3F eye textures no longer work. 

Yeah autofit was doing a terrible job on some of my hairs, (I think because I used cross-figure) so I thought I'd update them. There's one for Oh My Lashes in the works too. 

Redz said:
    barbult said:

I THINK I finally got the "Redz version" with Singular Blues morph worked out. I transferred Monique 7 and Karen 7. The only issue that jumps out to me is that the eye textures from the Genesis 3 materials don't seem to fit right some times. When that happened, I just used Genesis 8 eye materials.

I also found Genesis 8 Female fits for Redz Short Cropped Hair and Business hair over on Renderosity freebies. Thanks, Redz! heart

Fantastic results. Yes, the eye geometry has changed so some G3F eye textures no longer work. 

Yeah autofit was doing a terrible job on some of my hairs, (I think because I used cross-figure) so I thought I'd update them. There's one for Oh My Lashes in the works too. 

Great! I hope for Real Curly, too. Will that one be coming eventually?

Oh, and Oh My Brows?

I guess body hair will wait for G8M.

Real curly, the brows and the body hair (if you're making a male G8F) autofit just fine, so I left those til last. I suppose it's be no harm to update them too though, so they appear in the Genesis 8 folder. 

Llynara said:

Thanks for the updates, Redz. I have quite a few of your products. Great to have those fits. 

I have not had a chance to revisit the tutorials yet (pesky offline stuff interfering with online stuff, LOL) but will just go with the most recent. Thank you so much for putting those together!

No rush LOL I find these things are best not rushed. :)

• nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Basically You copy the dsf files from G3, with their folder structure intact (you don't need to go higer than the vendor folder, but you need the rest or it gets that much more dificult).

You then use mass file editing to replace all references to Genesis 3 with Genesis 8 (Genesis3 becomes Genesis8 and Genesis%203 becomes Genesis%208). I use a program called FAR (Find And Replace, iirc) to do this. This requires renaming all the dsf files as txt because FAR won't edit anything it isn't sure is an ASCII file. For compressed dsfs this means uncompressing them first. Of course, they have to re-renamed to dsf once the edits are done.

Now copy those folders into Genesis 8's folder.

At this point, you proceed as above, but when you get to bit about transfering morphs, make sure "overwite existing" is checked. Also (and this important) at no point should you touch the sliders of the copied morph beofre doing the transfer. Bad things may happen. Until you do the transfer, the morph values are pointed at the wrong vetex order and in the wrong direction.

When TU overwites an existing morph, it does not change that morph's ERC links.

Things then proceed as they would above except if you choose the export and then import via morph loader method, you need to name the export file with the internal name of the morph, and then, when you morph load it, make sure Overwrite Existing is changed from Make Unique to Deltas Only.

This will overwrite the bad vertex ordered morph with the correct order.

Told you it was beardy.

Wow this sounds scary.  Is ths method instead of the "Redz method" or an addition to it?  If additional, where does this fit into the "Redz method".  Also, does this help fix the crazy hands that happens with some transfers?  I have converted about 30 characters and I'm finding some hit and misses with the hands screwing up. BTW thanks for all the work everyone.

The renaming etc in the files is rediculously easy, but I must be missing a step as it keeps failing for me.

I'd love a step-by-step guide.

If you've got a lot of files to change the extension on, use bulk-rename utility; it's years old my copy, so not sure if still available, but something should be.

Well the first step there is to get the files loaded in G8. Is that what's failing? 

To be clear, you don't want them working. In fact, you don't want to move any of the sliders at all. You don't want to confuse Studio. After the first step you've got morphs made for G3 loaded in G8, but they won't actually work right because math and stuff.

As for renaming, I do that old school. 

ren *.dsf *.txt

It's the bit where you replace the text inside the files that get's messy.

Once you've done that correctly, you'll know because the morphs will show on G8 when you load her. Let me know if you get (or have already gotten) that far, because trouble shooting these things is difficult over the internet, and if I just wrote a tutorial it would be as clear as what I already wrote. I need to understand what parts of what I said aren't getting across and it seems like you're volunteering to play victi- er, test subject. Yeah, test subject. That's the ticket. Test subject.

I'm going to do some further testing. I know the file modifications are correct from the checks I did, and Ive used FAR previously. It's the other parts i'm not that confident on.

Is the method to use in conjunction with your, Sickleyields?

I tested it on my own method. Creating a clone and doing a direct transfer. Technically, it doesn't matter which method you use. I'm going to write up an actual tutorial on how to do this as time permits. It will take a few days, because I'm worn out and there's a tropical storm on, which is less dangerous and just kinda depressing.

Anyway. The main point, point is getting the sliders to populate on G8. At that point, my method is faster, and  the Kattey, SY, Redz methods are safer. Primarily because those don't load directly into G8 so there's no risk of anything getting overwritten, but they do require you to populate morphloader manually, and change the sentting so they overwrite the deltas on the copied dsfs. Direct loading se transfer utility to automatically overwrite, but if there's a morph with the same name, already on G* it will be overwritten by the G3 version.

That's why I'm working on a tut. I believe I know how to avoid the danger. Also, I figure if I give detailed steps, someone with DazScript skills might figure out how to automate the whole thing.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Thank you Redz!

I would like to let all you know that the box in the top left hand corner (with four horizontal lines and an arrow) is called: Pane (Tab) Option Menu

Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials comes with Genesis 8 Female Dev Load.duf, which is an untextured, unleashed, and zeroed figure ready to be used.

You know, God and Devil are in the details. ;-)

MBusch said:

Thank you Redz!

I would like to let all you know that the box in the top left hand corner (with four horizontal lines and an arrow) is called: Pane (Tab) Option Menu

Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials comes with Genesis 8 Female Dev Load.duf, which is an untextured, unleashed, and zeroed figure ready to be used.

Thank you! I am always happy to be educated. :) I tried to write the tutorials for all levels of experience. I know starting out that I appreciated simple descriptions. And I'm so used to not having the developer rig that I forgot it was there. Still, if adapting the tutorial to different generations, I think it's no harm and good practice to get in the habit of zeroing the figure. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited June 2017
    Redz said:
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

Redz said:
    barbult said:

Oh, and Oh My Brows?

Real curly, the brows and the body hair (if you're making a male G8F) autofit just fine, so I left those til last. I suppose it's be no harm to update them too though, so they appear in the Genesis 8 folder. 

Real Curly does fit just fine!

Here I mixed my converted Karen 7 with Victoria 8. The skin is Karen's, but I modified the settings. The earrings, necklace, and dress are all autofit from G3F. The eye materials are from one of the G8F characters, maybe Duffy; I forgot which one i used. The dress texture is from PD Iray Shader Kit 2. The lighting and background are from a free HDRI from textures.com. I recolored the Real Curly hair, too, to coordinate with her brows. I haven't tried the Oh My Brows on G8F yet. Oh, and I used the G8F Great Lashes, too. There's always more to try and more to learn.

G8F Karen 7 V8 Real Curly Hair Close Columns HDRI PS.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

At page 2 where is write: 19. Delete Genesis 2 Female and MyG8Clone_G2F from the scene. It should be: 19. Delete Genesis 8 Female and MyG8Clone_G2F from the scene. Right?

barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

Here I mixed my converted Karen 7 with Victoria 8. The skin is Karen's, but I modified the settings. The earrings, necklace, and dress are all autofit from G3F. The eye materials are from one of the G8F characters, maybe Duffy; I forgot which one i used. The dress texture is from PD Iray Shader Kit 2. The lighting and background are from a free HDRI from textures.com. I recolored the Real Curly hair, too, to coordinate with her brows. I haven't tried the Oh My Brows on G8F yet. Oh, and I used the G8F Great Lashes, too. There's always more to try and more to learn.

Very nice Barbuit! Really stuning. smiley

• SethMSethM Posts: 65

FWIW, I had a problem for a few days, but have solved it: I transfered my morph dial from G3F to G8F just fine, but when I saved it as a morph asset it didn't load into new G8F figures in that or any other scene.

I spent time re-checking all the steps and browsing my content directories to find the morph asset (I never did) and finally solved the problem by changing which the content base I saved the G8F morph asset to. It had defaulted to my Daz Connect library and that didn't work. I changed it to My Library and now it loads just fine.

I assume this is because I installed G8 using DIM, since it didn't appear in the Install list in studio, but maybe I'm off-base here.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

I also installed using DIM. I've never had issue with the system attempting to send files to Daz Connect. Possibly because I have it "disabled."

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

I haven't tried the Oh My Brows on G8F yet. Oh, and I used the G8F Great Lashes, too. There's always more to try and more to learn.

I have and they work perfectly, (autofollow facial changes,) provided you set the "Type" to Short Hair. I've tested "Shoulder Length Hair" and the brows do not follow the changes to facial expressions.

edited June 2017
    marble said:
    abe01 said:
    I haven't tried the Oh My Brows on G8F yet. Oh, and I used the G8F Great Lashes, too. There's always more to try and more to learn.
    L'Adair said:

I have and they work perfectly, (autofollow facial changes,) provided you set the "Type" to Short Hair. I've tested "Shoulder Length Hair" and the brows do not follow the changes to facial expressions.

When autofitting any facial/body hair I suggest you leave it at 'none'. Always works best for me. 

Post edited by Redz on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

Redz said:
    barbult said:

Oh, and Oh My Brows?

Barbult, that's fabulous!

Did somebody say G8F looked too masculine?

This is Freak 5 (Genesis) on G8F with some HD expressions. The Mouth Realism HD has distorted the teeth a little. They actually look better without.

freakyone.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M

barbult said:

Wow!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    Redz said:

This is Freak 5 (Genesis) on G8F with some HD expressions. The Mouth Realism HD has distorted the teeth a little. They actually look better without.

You may of not wanted it but the slight crookedness to the teeth make them look original and more realistic.

MBusch said:

At page 2 where is write: 19. Delete Genesis 2 Female and MyG8Clone_G2F from the scene. It should be: 19. Delete Genesis 8 Female and MyG8Clone_G2F from the scene. Right?

Oops yes. I will correct that tomorrow. Tank you.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587

Redz this is great thanks for your hard work.

Redz said:

NOW she looks masculine!

I like the way she looks. She is not just another big-eyed dolly. I'm sure we'll get plenty of those morphs in the coming days, for those who prefer that look. Something for everyone.

MBusch said:

Thank you Redz!

The Genesis 8 Female Dev Load still loads as High Resoluton subD 1, Render subD 2. I still don't understand what it means to be a "dev load". How would it be used? Im curious.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    barbult said:
    MBusch said:

Thank you Redz!

The Genesis 8 Female Dev Load still loads as High Resoluton subD 1, Render subD 2. I still don't understand what it means to be a "dev load". How would it be used? Im curious.

I read in the forums, said by either Frankie or Chrissie I think, told the questioner that was simply to load the G8F without any textures.

edited June 2017
    SethM said:

FWIW, I had a problem for a few days, but have solved it: I transfered my morph dial from G3F to G8F just fine, but when I saved it as a morph asset it didn't load into new G8F figures in that or any other scene.

I spent time re-checking all the steps and browsing my content directories to find the morph asset (I never did) and finally solved the problem by changing which the content base I saved the G8F morph asset to. It had defaulted to my Daz Connect library and that didn't work. I changed it to My Library and now it loads just fine.

I assume this is because I installed G8 using DIM, since it didn't appear in the Install list in studio, but maybe I'm off-base here.

@SethM You cannot save morphs (or anything else as far as me experience goes) to your Daz Connect Data location. Daz Studio will not recognize that it is there. Always save to your DIM content library (or another content library that you create). That will work fine, even if your Genesis 8 characters are installed with Daz Connect. I'm glad you got it working.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    MBusch said:

Thank you Redz!

I read in the forums, said by either Frankie or Chrissie I think, told the questioner that was simply to load the G8F without any textures.

...and without the eyelashes attached. while you need the figure at Base resolution to export, will want to test and refine your created morphs on the High Resolution clean figure. When working with shapes, is better work untextured. After all, to export the figure at Base resolution, you have in the Developer Kit folder a script to do that.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    Redz said:
    Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

Tutorial and helper scene/morphs included

DOWNLOAD HERE

I'm attempting this right now. First thing I got was this error message:

The following files can not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/morphs/3d universe/toongenerations2/base/ctrl3dutoongenerations2_adjustage.dsf

Is that a file I need to be able to do it? Or will it be ok without it?

I think you can ignore that. For some reason it's not set to zero by default, but I don't think it affects G3F unless the toon generations morph is applied. 

OH MY GOODNESS! This came out so good! I just transfered Callie 6 to G8F!

AMAZING! You're my hero, Redz! heart

Dang! I might have to Callie 6. She's adorable! Nice work, Diva.

MBusch said:
    barbult said:
    MBusch said:

Thank you Redz!

...and without the eyelashes attached. while you need the figure at Base resolution to export, will want to test and refine your created morphs on the High Resolution clean figure. When working with shapes, is better work untextured. After all, to export the figure at Base resolution, you have in the Developer Kit folder a script to do that.

Thanks for the explanation.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Yeah. You need a 3d modeling program.

Sorry, but you do. EIther you manually fix the morph or litterally rip the eyes out of both the source and the target and take the eyes apart, making sure they line up between figures.

I thought about making couple of morphs to do it. but that would complicate things even further.

Also, G8's eyes are smaller than G3's due to the magic of sub division. The difference is hard to see as normal scale, but when you get toon eyes, it becomes apparent. Try scaling the eyeballs up to hide the worst of the distortion to the lid. It may be that they are just too small

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't know how to morph that part w/o messing up the eye. I guess I'll have to avoid larger eyed characters for now. 

Ugh, so frustrated today! A couple of days ago I made a character I liked using Sickleyield's method and everything worked perfectly. Then today, the whole dial morph was gone! I opened a scene with the character and tried to re-save it as a dial morph and it would not save. This is a custom character I created for G3 so I took the obj I had created, that didn't work. I tried to save the G3 version as a shape and that didn't work. I also saved it as a character and that seemed to work in Redz method, but then the hands went all wonky. I still have the G8 version of the character saved in a scene, how can I make a dial morph out of it? Digidot's online method did not work, wouldn't let me save it. What happened to the dial I created with Sickleyield's method? It disappeared. Also all the Facegen characters I created for G3 are no longer there, since I updated DS. Where did they go???  Help!

Edited to add that when I open the scene with the character I created before, the slider is there! But if I open a new scene, the slider is gone! How do I get the slider to appear in new scenes? Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Did you save it as a Support Asset >> Morph Asset?

edited June 2017
    Redz said:
    Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

Tutorial and helper scene/morphs included

DOWNLOAD HERE

I'm attempting this right now. First thing I got was this error message:

The following files can not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/morphs/3d universe/toongenerations2/base/ctrl3dutoongenerations2_adjustage.dsf

Is that a file I need to be able to do it? Or will it be ok without it?

I think you can ignore that. For some reason it's not set to zero by default, but I don't think it affects G3F unless the toon generations morph is applied. 

OH MY GOODNESS! This came out so good! I just transfered Callie 6 to G8F!

AMAZING! You're my hero, Redz! heart

Dang! I might have to Callie 6. She's adorable! Nice work, Diva.

Thank you! The GenX2 products are great - helps me move G2F to G3F, then Redz tutorial helps me move them to G8F. :D But seeing as Callie 6 is a toon type character, it really wasn't necessary to transfer really, imo. I just wanted to see if I could do it. lol Toon type characters seem to do just fine on the older gen figures as you don't really need much of the realism improvements that come with the newer figures.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited June 2017

Transferred over my favorite character - Lilith 6.  Here's a close-up and full body.  I'll work on a comparison in a day or two.  I had one already started with G3F and G2F, both morphed to Lilith 6, so I'll incorporate G8F and make them triplets.

G8F Lilith 6 Standing.png
    950 x 1200 - 721K
    G8F Lilith 6 Close-up-2.png
    950 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by sandmanmax on