Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• So...should I use the clones or the transfer utility? I'm just trying to Move characters that I have bought or gotten for free. I'm not really sure how to use the clones. A tutorial would be nice.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

So...should I use the clones or the transfer utility? I'm just trying to Move characters that I have bought or gotten for free. I'm not really sure how to use the clones. A tutorial would be nice.

I can write up a tutorial for the clones tomorrow. It does seem to be more reliable, if slower than the transfer utility. 

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

No, it's not that. I've never used those settings for this. See what I said on page three. 

I'm not sure what it is, TBH. I need to experiement, because it's not breaking now.

Which opens up new options, if I can figure out why it was broken to begin with. I think I know, but I'm going to need more testing.

I'm still not sure the method is a good one. The cloning methods they're using wouldn't line up the figure's arms and legs, and testing that has borne out. I did a forearm morph from g2, and with near verts dialed to 1000, the morph didn't do anything at all. Without setting it, it just distorted the hands.

Anyway, I tranfered a custom head from G3 to test the settings and it worked, oddly enough. But I used my transfer clones to do it. Like I said, following the instructions just created what was basically an empty morph for the arms.

N6.png
    768 x 768 - 588K
    Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2017

While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Basically You copy the dsf files from G3, with their folder structure intact (you don't need to go higer than the vendor folder, but you need the rest or it gets that much more dificult).

You then use mass file editing to replace all references to Genesis 3 with Genesis 8 (Genesis3 becomes Genesis8 and Genesis%203 becomes Genesis%208). I use a program called FAR (Find And Replace, iirc) to do this. This requires renaming all the dsf files as txt because FAR won't edit anything it isn't sure is an ASCII file. For compressed dsfs this means uncompressing them first. Of course, they have to re-renamed to dsf once the edits are done.

Now copy those folders into Genesis 8's folder.

At this point, you proceed as above, but when you get to bit about transfering morphs, make sure "overwite existing" is checked. Also (and this important) at no point should you touch the sliders of the copied morph beofre doing the transfer. Bad things may happen. Until you do the transfer, the morph values are pointed at the wrong vetex order and in the wrong direction.

When TU overwites an existing morph, it does not change that morph's ERC links.

Things then proceed as they would above except if you choose the export and then import via morph loader method, you need to name the export file with the internal name of the morph, and then, when you morph load it, make sure Overwrite Existing is changed from Make Unique to Deltas Only.

This will overwrite the bad vertex ordered morph with the correct order.

Told you it was beardy.

Wow this sounds scary.  Is ths method instead of the "Redz method" or an addition to it?  If additional, where does this fit into the "Redz method".  Also, does this help fix the crazy hands that happens with some transfers?  I have converted about 30 characters and I'm finding some hit and misses with the hands screwing up. BTW thanks for all the work everyone.

The renaming etc in the files is rediculously easy, but I must be missing a step as it keeps failing for me.

I'd love a step-by-step guide.

If you've got a lot of files to change the extension on, use bulk-rename utility; it's years old my copy, so not sure if still available, but something should be.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017
    nicstt said:

While I'm breaking my arm (to quote noted pilospher James Tiberius Kirk) patting myself on the back for my ingeniuity, I actually have figured out, and tested, a method for bring over morphs with ERC intact, but it is (to borrow a term from the world of Games Workshop) beardy.

As in super beard.

Basically You copy the dsf files from G3, with their folder structure intact (you don't need to go higer than the vendor folder, but you need the rest or it gets that much more dificult).

You then use mass file editing to replace all references to Genesis 3 with Genesis 8 (Genesis3 becomes Genesis8 and Genesis%203 becomes Genesis%208). I use a program called FAR (Find And Replace, iirc) to do this. This requires renaming all the dsf files as txt because FAR won't edit anything it isn't sure is an ASCII file. For compressed dsfs this means uncompressing them first. Of course, they have to re-renamed to dsf once the edits are done.

At this point, you proceed as above, but when you get to bit about transfering morphs, make sure "overwite existing" is checked. Also (and this important) at no point should you touch the sliders of the copied morph beofre doing the transfer. Bad things may happen. Until you do the transfer, the morph values are pointed at the wrong vetex order and in the wrong direction.

Things then proceed as they would above except if you choose the export and then import via morph loader method, you need to name the export file with the internal name of the morph, and then, when you morph load it, make sure Overwrite Existing is changed from Make Unique to Deltas Only.

Told you it was beardy.

Wow this sounds scary.  Is ths method instead of the "Redz method" or an addition to it?  If additional, where does this fit into the "Redz method".  Also, does this help fix the crazy hands that happens with some transfers?  I have converted about 30 characters and I'm finding some hit and misses with the hands screwing up. BTW thanks for all the work everyone.

The renaming etc in the files is rediculously easy, but I must be missing a step as it keeps failing for me.

If you've got a lot of files to change the extension on, use bulk-rename utility; it's years old my copy, so not sure if still available, but something should be.

Well the first step there is to get the files loaded in G8. Is that what's failing? 

To be clear, you don't want them working. In fact, you don't want to move any of the sliders at all. You don't want to confuse Studio. After the first step you've got morphs made for G3 loaded in G8, but they won't actually work right because math and stuff.

As for renaming, I do that old school. 

ren *.dsf *.txt

It's the bit where you replace the text inside the files that get's messy.

Once you've done that correctly, you'll know because the morphs will show on G8 when you load her. Let me know if you get (or have already gotten) that far, because trouble shooting these things is difficult over the internet, and if I just wrote a tutorial it would be as clear as what I already wrote. I need to understand what parts of what I said aren't getting across and it seems like you're volunteering to play victi- er, test subject. Yeah, test subject. That's the ticket. Test subject.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    edited June 2017

Ugh, so frustrated today! A couple of days ago I made a character I liked using Sickleyield's method and everything worked perfectly. Then today, the whole dial morph was gone! I opened a scene with the character and tried to re-save it as a dial morph and it would not save. This is a custom character I created for G3 so I took the obj I had created, that didn't work. I tried to save the G3 version as a shape and that didn't work. I also saved it as a character and that seemed to work in Redz method, but then the hands went all wonky. I still have the G8 version of the character saved in a scene, how can I make a dial morph out of it? Digidot's online method did not work, wouldn't let me save it. What happened to the dial I created with Sickleyield's method? It disappeared. Also all the Facegen characters I created for G3 are no longer there, since I updated DS. Where did they go???  Help!

Edited to add that when I open the scene with the character I created before, the slider is there! But if I open a new scene, the slider is gone! How do I get the slider to appear in new scenes? Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    I would love to test as well. Both Redz and Singular blues have been most helpful
  • Yo want to try testing preserving ERC? Just to be clear.

I think I failed to underline how crazy this is. Not that I won't try to clean up my directions, but I expected people to not want to do it after I described it. 

And no one seemed interested until now.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

I think someone should be amused... I did this via tutorial (and also GenX2 to get things over to G3F, plus some Normal generation to capture HD details and Map Transfer to get a G3M skin on G8F)

I love the skin.  What did you use?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

For what, the Normals? I used Substance Painter 2. They have a thing to bake a map from high to low definition, so I exported a SubD4 version of the Exile, a Base version, and then exported the resulting normal on the skin.

It's not PERFECT, but you have to be like inches away to tell.

Yo want to try testing preserving ERC? Just to be clear.

I think I failed to underline how crazy this is. Not that I won't try to clean up my directions, but I expected people to not want to do it after I described it. 

And no one seemed interested until now.

I'm not sure of all that it would entail but I can follow directions pretty well. So far I have been able to transfer the G3 morphs except for the occasional hand distortion and bizarre results when posing. So anything that can help perfect this process is a win for us all
  • All, right. I'm jammed up until tomorrow, probably late. But I'll think it through. I can see the necessary steps, but I'm going to need to sanity check and stress test it and be really, really sure because this one of those things that, if you mess it up, you probably have to re-install G8. I am perfectly capable of making a mistake (see above) and I want to be sure about how to do this.

Also, I'll probably need to make some support files.

Take your time. This will probably be a weekend thing to do anyway
  • Ugh, so frustrated today! A couple of days ago I made a character I liked using Sickleyield's method and everything worked perfectly. Then today, the whole dial morph was gone! I opened a scene with the character and tried to re-save it as a dial morph and it would not save. This is a custom character I created for G3 so I took the obj I had created, that didn't work. I tried to save the G3 version as a shape and that didn't work. I also saved it as a character and that seemed to work in Redz method, but then the hands went all wonky. I still have the G8 version of the character saved in a scene, how can I make a dial morph out of it? Digidot's online method did not work, wouldn't let me save it. What happened to the dial I created with Sickleyield's method? It disappeared. Also all the Facegen characters I created for G3 are no longer there, since I updated DS. Where did they go???  Help!

Edited to add that when I open the scene with the character I created before, the slider is there! But if I open a new scene, the slider is gone! How do I get the slider to appear in new scenes? Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

I have experienced this as well...but with other Morph Loader morphs.  I haven't discovered the reason.  I load and save a bunch of morphs assets, only to find them gone in a new scene.

My failsafe is to save a scene after the morphs are loaded.  Then if the sliders are missing. When I start a new scene, I can still pull up the morph and try to save it as an asset again

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited June 2017

Ugh, so frustrated today! A couple of days ago I made a character I liked using Sickleyield's method and everything worked perfectly. Then today, the whole dial morph was gone! I opened a scene with the character and tried to re-save it as a dial morph and it would not save. This is a custom character I created for G3 so I took the obj I had created, that didn't work. I tried to save the G3 version as a shape and that didn't work. I also saved it as a character and that seemed to work in Redz method, but then the hands went all wonky. I still have the G8 version of the character saved in a scene, how can I make a dial morph out of it? Digidot's online method did not work, wouldn't let me save it. What happened to the dial I created with Sickleyield's method? It disappeared. Also all the Facegen characters I created for G3 are no longer there, since I updated DS. Where did they go???  Help!

Save the morph(s) with File - Save As - Support Asset - Morph Asset(s)... When Morph Asset(s) Save Options window opens, type in vendor mane, product name, find morphs you wish to save under G8F, "check" them (click in the box in front of morph name) and click Accept. After saving is done load another (new) G8F into the scene and check if that new one haves the morphs you just saved.

Post edited by ben98120000 on

Okay as promised the tutorial for making clones and using them to transfer morphs from Genesis/Genesis 2/Genesis 3

Yes it's pretty long, yes you may say what's the point and yes extreme eye and teeth morphs may get borked, but it's the most reliable way I've found so far.

It will also let you autofit G8F wardrobe to older generations and has poses to put the older Genesis figures into G8's approximate A pose.

You need to copy the people folder to your Daz3D Library

For those obsessional or crazy enough to try 

DOWNLOAD CLONES AND MORPHS TUTORIAL HERE

Render shows three of RawArt's Genesis characters on G8F posed and dressed. Have fun ;)

Clones.png
    1000 x 562 - 290K
  • michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219

Thanks Redz for the tutorial, really appreciate your efforts and the hard work you and others have put into this for the rest of us. Especially for those like myself who find it hard enough to find matching socks in the mornings, let alone nut out all this stuff by themselves. ( :

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 140

Redz thank you for going above and beyond with these tutorials. Very appreciated

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

The Frankenstein character looks so cute!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    nicstt said:

As in super beard.

Told you it was beardy.

Well the first step there is to get the files loaded in G8. Is that what's failing? 

To be clear, you don't want them working. In fact, you don't want to move any of the sliders at all. You don't want to confuse Studio. After the first step you've got morphs made for G3 loaded in G8, but they won't actually work right because math and stuff.

As for renaming, I do that old school. 

ren *.dsf *.txt

It's the bit where you replace the text inside the files that get's messy.

Once you've done that correctly, you'll know because the morphs will show on G8 when you load her. Let me know if you get (or have already gotten) that far, because trouble shooting these things is difficult over the internet, and if I just wrote a tutorial it would be as clear as what I already wrote. I need to understand what parts of what I said aren't getting across and it seems like you're volunteering to play victi- er, test subject. Yeah, test subject. That's the ticket. Test subject.

I'm going to do some further testing. I know the file modifications are correct from the checks I did, and Ive used FAR previously. It's the other parts i'm not that confident on.

Is the method to use in conjunction with your, Sickleyields?

• So it seems like transferring morphs from G3 to G8 works pretty well, but does it work for transferring from G8 to G3?

edited June 2017

Finally bit the bullet and got V8 before my discount expired.  Not as crazy over her as some folks are.  I added some of my created mophs from Redz first tutorial, a little of this a little of that.  Still had to fix the fingers, not sure why this DM pose for G3 has the least distortions. Can't wait to try the updated tutorial and hope it fixes the hand problems.

moriana-g8.png
    730 x 685 - 590K
    Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited June 2017

I THINK I finally got the "Redz version" with Singular Blues morph worked out. I transferred Monique 7 and Karen 7. The only issue that jumps out to me is that the eye textures from the Genesis 3 materials don't seem to fit right some times. When that happened, I just used Genesis 8 eye materials.

I also found Genesis 8 Female fits for Redz Short Cropped Hair and Business hair over on Renderosity freebies. Thanks, Redz! heart

G8F Monique 7 Karissa Hair.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G8F Karen 7 Short Cropped Hair BoHo.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    G8F Karen 7 Short Cropped Hair Close.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

So it seems like transferring morphs from G3 to G8 works pretty well, but does it work for transferring from G8 to G3

Yes the process is easily enough reversed. In the clones tutorial I posted here today, you can substitute one character for another, and make clones so older generations can wear G8 clothes.

Finally bit the bullet and got V8 before my discount expired.  Not as crazy over her as some folks are.  I added some of my created mophs from Redz first tutorial, a little of this a little of that.  Still had to fix the fingers, not sure why this DM pose for G3 has the least distortions. Can't wait to try the updated tutorial and hope it fixes the hand problems.

She's lovely. The revised tutorial fixes the fingers, but if you have the patience and a little time to follow the clones tutorial I posted today, that's the best method so far and also works for older generations

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Oh, I have the Redz cropped hair, thanks for the heads up.

edited June 2017
    Redz said:

Okay as promised the tutorial for making clones and using them to transfer morphs from Genesis/Genesis 2/Genesis 3

Yes it's pretty long, yes you may say what's the point and yes extreme eye and teeth morphs may get borked, but it's the most reliable way I've found so far.

It will also let you autofit G8F wardrobe to older generations and has poses to put the older Genesis figures into G8's approximate A pose.

Render shows three of RawArt's Genesis characters on G8F posed and dressed. Have fun ;)

Oh dear! I thought I just mastered the last one and here we have a new one. laugh Thanks for evolving the technique. heart I'll try this new one now.

barbult said:
    Redz said:

Oh dear! I thought I just mastered the last one and here we have a new one. laugh Thanks for evolving the technique. heart I'll try this new one now.

LOL sorry about that. It's actually very similar, so all of that practice hasn't gone to waste, plus this opens up direct transfers from G2 and Genesis.

barbult said:

I THINK I finally got the "Redz version" with Singular Blues morph worked out. I transferred Monique 7 and Karen 7. The only issue that jumps out to me is that the eye textures from the Genesis 3 materials don't seem to fit right some times. When that happened, I just used Genesis 8 eye materials.

I also found Genesis 8 Female fits for Redz Short Cropped Hair and Business hair over on Renderosity freebies. Thanks, Redz! heart

Fantastic results. Yes, the eye geometry has changed so some G3F eye textures no longer work. 

Yeah autofit was doing a terrible job on some of my hairs, (I think because I used cross-figure) so I thought I'd update them. There's one for Oh My Lashes in the works too. 

edited June 2017
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

Fantastic results. Yes, the eye geometry has changed so some G3F eye textures no longer work. 

Yeah autofit was doing a terrible job on some of my hairs, (I think because I used cross-figure) so I thought I'd update them. There's one for Oh My Lashes in the works too. 

Redz said:
    barbult said:

Great! I hope for Real Curly, too. Will that one be coming eventually?

Oh, and Oh My Brows?

I guess body hair will wait for G8M.