Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited February 2013

I think those "preset only" people would never have considered LAMH anyway, and just stuck with standard hair props. So I don't think it represents a huge loss in market opportunity, unless some of them would have been willing to purchase LAMH just to use presets other folks had created.

Making the 'player' free means that you might also have people purchase LAMH solely for the purposes of using it as a content creation tool to create hair presets to sell or make available as freebies. By removing the barrier to entry with the player, content creators have less risk creating something as they know they have a larger potential market. (Hence why there are almost no skin sets that target V5's UVs and all the other custom character UV sets (Hitomi, M5, etc) have had zero releases after the initial figure launch and everyone just sticks to the V4 UV maps -- they don't want to limit their potential market in what is already a pretty small/niche market segment to begin.)

Post edited by cwichura on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Here is todays hair creation.

I am going to be updating a few of my sets with real fur..real soon :)

The "Man Wolf" for Genesis

Rawn

wolffur3.jpg
    864 x 768 - 147K
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

If you want my 2 cents. I didn't buy the original product because I have yet to see many human hair styles I liked for the LAMH, though I have liked the animal presets. I will try the free version to see how well the presets render for me, and to see what other human hair styles evolve. THEN, if I like the direction things go well enough, I wil likely move up to the full version.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Raw art that is awesome!!! I love it!!!!

You are so cool :D

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    If you want my 2 cents. I didn't buy the original product because I have yet to see many human hair styles I liked for the LAMH, though I have liked the animal presets. I will try the free version to see how well the presets render for me, and to see what other human hair styles evolve. THEN, if I like the direction things go well enough, I wil likely move up to the full version.

I agree...I am wanting to see more human hairstyles as well.
    Maybe people are waiting for the new tools in version 1.1, where it would make that kind of thing alot easier.

Raw art that is awesome!!! I love it!!!!

You are so cool :D

Yes...it's true..........I am cool LOL :)

Rawn

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Here is todays hair creation.

I am going to be updating a few of my sets with real fur..real soon :)

The "Man Wolf" for Genesis

DAWWW! So cute! I just want to cuddle and hug that pooch!

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited February 2013

Hi Michael, first of all thanks for sharing your opinion and supporting our product.

We've decided to produce a free player to give all Studio users a chance to play with it, loading pre-made presets, pose, render, and get an idea of how it works. We do know that for some users that will just do (and we are fine with that), but we believe also that others might be interested in editing the presets, add more styling, play with the deformers, effects, all the features that it currently has (considering also that the price, IMO, is very affordable) and the many new ones that will come in 1.1 which, BTW, shouldn't be too far now.
    After all, the fun is all there... we all wanted to play the barber at least once, isn't? :)

BTW, 1.1 will ship with a new set of FREE tutorials as well, which will focus on the "art of styling" and help you guys to master all the current and upcoming tools and options.

RawArt said:

FREE to ALL Studio users :)

Don't you think that will hurt your sales? Most in this community are plug and play users, so if they can just d/l presets then they will be happy with that and never purchase the program like I did.

No...more than likely it will open up the market more.
    The player will allow the rendering of the preset, but not much more....when people want the added functionality of the full set, then the sales will come.

I think its a great idea.

I have to disagree and think just the opposite as there is a learning curve for the program and from what I have seen in this community, many don't want to deal with it and settle for what end result they can get, hence just the preset part. I think many will bypass the program and just wait for any presets the few owners of the program release. I would love to be proven wrong as I think it is a great program and want you guys to do very well with it.

I am looking forward to the 1.1 version, been playing with it more lately and love what I feel i can achieve with it once I get a better grasp on it.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • commorancycommorancy Posts: 39
    edited February 2013

Here's Will (another short guy style)

Will.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 721K
    Post edited by commorancy on
  • commorancycommorancy Posts: 39
    edited February 2013

I have to disagree and think just the opposite as there is a learning curve for the program and from what I have seen in this community, many don't want to deal with it and settle for what end result they can get, hence just the preset part. I think many will bypass the program and just wait for any presets the few owners of the program release. I would love to be proven wrong as I think it is a great program and want you guys to do very well with it.

I am looking forward to the 1.1 version, been playing with it more lately and love what I feel i can achieve with it once I get a better grasp on it.

Actually, with anything that requires a degree of creative skill to produce a quality end result, the usage will break out into two camps. Those who create their own designs (either for their own use, for sale or for sharing) and those who prefer to use or purchase shared presets. LAMH falls into being a content creation tool just like a 3D modeler is. Some people like creating their own models, others choose to use already existing models. Same for LAMH.

So, while there's a learning curve to every creative software application including even Daz Studio, some people will overcome the learning hurdle to use the product. Others will choose to obtain and use presets (which presets is what Daz primarily provides for sale).

One thing I will say about LAMH is that it is, hands-down, the easiest hair styling and hair creation app I've ever used. I've tried creating hair presets in both Carrara and Poser. While I learned a lot about creating hair models in both of these applications, I could never really get anything great out of them without days of work. LAMH easily beats both of these hair tools by miles and lets me create styles in only a few hours. With that said, I won't say that this software is completely easy to use right from the go. It does take time to understand how to create and style the hair using the existing tools. Since I had already had previous experience with both Poser's and Carrara's hair tools, it was easy for me to move into LAMH. Basically, not only do you have to learn the software tools, you have to also understand and apply real-world hair styling techniques.

Of course, there are also some issues that I'm fairly certain will be addressed within 1.1 that currently make hair styling a bit tricky in 1.0 in places. So, I definitely look forward to the feature enhancements coming up in 1.1 to make hair styling even easier.

Post edited by commorancy on
    edited December 1969

Hi commorancy, thanks for sharing both your render and also your take on the player! :)

edited December 1969

And here we've got the first movie part showcasing the...

LAMH FREE Player 1.0

More juice to come very soon! :)

• edited December 1969

Oh this makes me happy! I have already purchased LAMH but have yet to find time to play with it much. The playing I did do didn't work out so well but that isn't the fault of the program....:) I look forward to working with it more!

So the player will make it possible for me to create a fur-trimmed garment and so long as the LAMH preset is included in the file and LAMH Player is installed on users computer they will be able to pose, morph etc. and render the fur in Daz?

If so then look out world.........one very cool fur coat, cape or SOMETHING is gonna hit "My Library" soon!

I do really hope this doesn't hurt sales of the full-version product though! Such hard work to develop and such a reasonable price deserves to be rewarded.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Oh this makes me happy! I have already purchased LAMH but have yet to find time to play with it much. The playing I did do didn't work out so well but that isn't the fault of the program....:) I look forward to working with it more!

So the player will make it possible for me to create a fur-trimmed garment and so long as the LAMH preset is included in the file and LAMH Player is installed on users computer they will be able to pose, morph etc. and render the fur in Daz?

If so then look out world.........one very cool fur coat, cape or SOMETHING is gonna hit "My Library" soon!

I do really hope this doesn't hurt sales of the full-version product though! Such hard work to develop and such a reasonable price deserves to be rewarded.

The user can apply the fur as you created it to the item. In order to make any changes beyond color they will need the full plugin.

Kendall

• edited February 2013

Mouse

mousehouse_(Medium).jpg
    1229 x 768 - 308K
    Post edited by deskridge_b7b24c778a on
  • edited December 1969

Tiger Dream

tigerlake_(Medium).jpg
    1229 x 768 - 294K
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

deskridge said:
    Mouse

Tiger Dream

Wow! Amazing images. Where are you setup the scene and which is the render engine?

• edited December 1969

I use Vue to put the scene together and do the rendering. One of the reasons I like LAMH so much is that it is one of the few hair systems that can work with Vue.

• BerdacheBearBerdacheBear Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

*[quietly intruding] I can see a fascinated interest from the Pro, even the Amateur (with interests of becoming Pro)—using LAMH as one would a palette knife; Hobbiests (like me) for the most part, aren’t as interested in the “tweaking/twisting” as they are something usable “right out of the box.”; and Newbies—would depend on varying factors, like DS User “status” (level of proficiency), or “intent” of eventual usage of DS. There are exceptions and a multitude of variations, of course. As a Hobbiest (and an exception to the “out of the box” wish), I have a real interest in the possibilities of LAMH. [quietly withdrawing] Did Big Brother see me?

Hi Michael, first of all thanks for sharing your opinion and supporting our product.

We've decided to produce a free player to give all Studio users a chance to play with it, loading pre-made presets, pose, render, and get an idea of how it works. We do know that for some users that will just do (and we are fine with that), but we believe also that others might be interested in editing the presets, add more styling, play with the deformers, effects, all the features that it currently has (considering also that the price, IMO, is very affordable) and the many new ones that will come in 1.1 which, BTW, shouldn't be too far now.
    After all, the fun is all there... we all wanted to play the barber at least once, isn't? :)

BTW, 1.1 will ship with a new set of FREE tutorials as well, which will focus on the "art of styling" and help you guys to master all the current and upcoming tools and options.

RawArt said:

Don't you think that will hurt your sales? Most in this community are plug and play users, so if they can just d/l presets then they will be happy with that and never purchase the program like I did.

The player will allow the rendering of the preset, but not much more....when people want the added functionality of the full set, then the sales will come.

edited December 1969

Hey look who's here... finally it was so long since we got you back on the forums. I certainly missed you... :)
    Marc, I'll be thrilled to see what you can achieve with LAMH and even if you will tell me that you are busy, I know how to draw your attention soon... (oops did I say bear cub? Did I?)

*[quietly intruding] I can see a fascinated interest from the Pro, even the Amateur (with interests of becoming Pro)—using LAMH as one would a palette knife; Hobbiests (like me) for the most part, aren’t as interested in the “tweaking/twisting” as they are something usable “right out of the box.”; and Newbies—would depend on varying factors, like DS User “status” (level of proficiency), or “intent” of eventual usage of DS. There are exceptions and a multitude of variations, of course. As a Hobbiest (and an exception to the “out of the box” wish), I have a real interest in the possibilities of LAMH. [quietly withdrawing] Did Big Brother see me?

RawArt said:

edited December 1969

Hi Daniel, besides the pleasure to see you using LAMH for your creations, those compositions are truly awesome: excellent lighting and creative juice you got there! :)

edited December 1969

Ameesa said:

Hi Ameesa you will be pleased to know that the player will feature a "human hair shader" (which is missing in current 1.0) that will allow multiple light scattering and add higher realism to human hair styles.

edited December 1969

Thanks for your kind words. We believe, and hope, that the FREE LAMH player will actually make our humble plugin even more popular and well known to the community.

edited December 1969

Another artist that doesn't post here at DAZ but is indeed using Look at my Hair:

"Pascal has always been one of my favourite Vue artists. He has an impressive collection or renders and compositions that I truly admire, take a look yourself: http://www.cornucopia3d.com/portfolio/pascalm

Today he sent me his first render with Look at my Hair, and what a render… four furred dinosaurs fighting on a dramatic landscape!

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome work of yours, we’ll be delighted to see what’s coming next!"

Tarbosaurus-diner-50pct.jpg
    2000 x 715 - 1M
  • BerdacheBearBerdacheBear Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

YES, you did! You are such a TEASE! Not fair. I call "Moooooom, he's teasing me." (Don't get used to my being here -- I hate having to look over my shoulder to be sure I haven't somehow offended the Powers That Be.)

Hey look who's here... finally it was so long since we got you back on the forums. I certainly missed you... :)
    Marc, I'll be thrilled to see what you can achieve with LAMH and even if you will tell me that you are busy, I know how to draw your attention soon... (oops did I say bear cub? Did I?)

RawArt said:

• edited December 1969

Thanks for great work!
    Now playing with obj export and LuxRender. Best material settings for now: roughglass, 0.0500 (500 in Reality)- 0.030 uroughness. Export settings 30 root, 5 tips or even 15 root 3 tips, number 120000-150000. Studio can consume up to 7Gb, far less in bounding box mode - always switch to it before export! Lux can take up to 2-3Gb. Hybrid rendering and SLG modes crashes even in FrankenLux on 2-2.5 mil faces scenes, but speed of CPU-only mode reasonable (up to 300kC/s on sum of 8 cores).

113_13.jpg
    600 x 800 - 34K
  • edited December 1969

Coffee with a Cougar

coffeewithacougar_(Medium).jpg
    1229 x 768 - 214K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 1969

Hi Ameesa you will be pleased to know that the player will feature a "human hair shader" (which is missing in current 1.0) that will allow multiple light scattering and add higher realism to human hair styles.

That is really a great news, Alessandro. Will the player be released before or after the 1.1 version of the LAMH?
    I have already bought the LAMH, but have not installed it yet on my new computer, because I am still changing its configuration
    and I am afraid to lock LAMH to the computer at this stage.
    The free player will be perfect for testing purposes of my new computer.
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Well I hope this will be one of the first DAZ products to come out with the LAMH preset as I'm sick of fiberMesh LAMH gives way better results.

WB-Alpha02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 388K
    WB-Alpha01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 456K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

OMG ADORABLE!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Deskridge that is AWESOME!!
    Midnight stories, what IS it???

and now for one of my own, another anime hair style, with a preset as well!! :D The hair tail will load straight down and will need to be pulled to either side to pose it. It's so simple to do though!
    This hair style took me about 20-30 minutes. :D

Do you like it?

Kuruhair.jpg
    714 x 873 - 628K