Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Breaking news-  son is out of surgery, they did have to do a pleurectomy (removing the outer pleural of the lung, roughing up the inner so it would stick to the chest wall)  and they removed tissue, stapled the hole shut. He will be in intensive care a day or two minimum, then a day regular room, then home in about three days. Signing off to get some sleep and a bad thunderstorm (not predicted at all, gotta love it) just rolled in. A lot of lightning. Thanks for the support, son is doing fine in recovery.  

I have no idea if the pleurectomy is standard or not for this surgery, but sounds like they were hoping they wouldn't have to do it. Still, surgery is done and your son is on the road to recovery. Home in three days? Medicine sure has come a long way in the past few decades. I can remember when surgery like that would have kept a person in the hospital for a week or more.

I'm a little bit glad the weather is pushing you off the computer and back to bed. I can't imagine you've gotten enough sleep in the past few days. Take care of yourself. Hugs.

Novica said:

Okay I am getting offine now. Horrendous thunderstorm so I wanted to be sure we didn't lose power (the alarm would start beeping and I'd be back up anyway.) FYI- regarding poses- Zev0 is doing a Genesis 3 (male and female) pose converter so they work on Genesis 8, will have a thread started soon. All other products are also "being redone." (Growing up, etc I assume.) 

No Dental Plan for G3, then. I wonder how good SF-Design's Easy Teeth products are...? I was holding out for Zev0's... And now we know why he's been swamped, and unable to judge and announce the winners for his SB3 render competition!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

It might be backwards compatible, He said on another thread that his pose converter will be. There may be other products that are as well.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    Novica said:

Breaking news-  son is out of surgery, they did have to do a pleurectomy (removing the outer pleural of the lung, roughing up the inner so it would stick to the chest wall)  and they removed tissue, stapled the hole shut. He will be in intensive care a day or two minimum, then a day regular room, then home in about three days. Signing off to get some sleep and a bad thunderstorm (not predicted at all, gotta love it) just rolled in. A lot of lightning. Thanks for the support, son is doing fine in recovery.  

Glad your son is doing well post surgery! I totally get the sudden thunderstorm "thing" we have that happen in my area frequently as well, get some sleep. 

Trish

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Novica said:

Didn't have a good morning this morning. Part of my son's right lung collapsed this morning, (about 50%) and he was hospitalized of course, and will probably have surgery this next week.Last time this happened was 4 years ago, it was the other lung and thank goodness, that one is staying attached to the chest wall. If you have tall, thin, caucasian boys, this is a condition that apparently affects some of them.  Don't ignore "achy" chests by thinking you just slept wrong. Lung collapses aren't necessarily sharp, stabbing pains in the beginning. I wanted to mention this in case it helps someone down the line. (And if you know a parent of a tall, thin, white teen, please tell them about this. It's pneumothorax. It's usually teens through twenties, but can happen later too.) 

I'm just getting caught up in the thread and read this.  Sorry to hear that this happened.  I never heard of lungs collapsing without injuries before.  I guess there are some advantages to having boys who aren't tall and skinny.  I'm really glad he seems to be doing better.  Hugs!

Valandar said:

DAZ does not give PA's any sort of list of who bought our products, so that's one thing you can relax on. wink

On the other hand, and this is a debate that was active back before I closed my Rendo store in 2006 or so, a list of customers is pretty much useless for the purposes they claim. Why? Because some people have multiple accounts - one for their purchases, and one for their renders, just as an example. It gives them an extra layer of privacy. There was one merchant on a certain other site that actually had a very public meltdown about pirates there, and at least one person they "named and shamed" proved they did, in fact, own the product legally through another name... which led to a massive debate about multiple accounts.

As BOTH a merchant and a customer, I don't like the idea of being given a list of customers. As a merchant, it is pretty much useless to me (especially at DAZ, where THEY handle any form of DMCA or the like), and as a customer I'm not sure I like other merchants knowing exactly what I did and did not buy. "Hey, Val, you bought Supertechno Longjohns," they might say, "but why didn't you also buy Cyber TightyWhiteys?" Now, no merchant I know would do something like that, but there are people who do think like that.

Meanwhile, let's see more lists! I don't make it onto them, but it's interesting to see what you guys enjoy!

Well, you are on my list, I own 94 of your products lol.  I also probably have another 3/4 of your shop wishlisited. Your items are those things that are used all the time and are essential to a lot of scenes but don't get mentioned for exactly those reasons, because we don't tend to think of poses or weapons or any of the other hundreds of things that make a scene pull together.  We just use them. 

I love Valandar products and have 195 myself and even more wishlisted.  Not sure if this means I win or if I spend too much money.  ;)  Hopefully, someone will post that they have more Valendar products than I do.  I agree that sometimes it's those little things that really make the scene that tends to be forgotten when we go to give credit.  This is especially true of utilities, poses, and essential props.  I've found myself having to add things like that weeks later to my gallery images when I remember that I used something but forgot to list it.

L'Adair said:
    Novica said:
    If you want to post your images in a thread and not have them clunkily attached below your post, here's where you can post them!! (Note one problem with that- you won't be able to get the name of your original image by clicking on it, it's mumblymuck code. But you can always download it and rename it.)

I've been wanting to experiment with the Private setting for a gallery for a long time. Today I tried it. All the images in this post in the Hidden Treasure thread are in my new Post Attachments sub-gallery. But with it set to private, you can't find it if you go to my root gallery. However, I can use the various size images from those pages in my posts. And my filenames retain their original names. Just thought you guys might want to know.

Yeah, I set one up awhile back.  It's nice having a place to put images you don't want to upload to the general forum but want to still be able to use in a post.  This is especially true for PMs where you can't upload an attachment and might not want to use the thread for attachments.  Having a private gallery is a good place to upload those images.  

RGcincy said:

I know today will be filled with Victoria 8 postings, but I wanted to point out something in Fast Grab today for less than $4: Ecomantics - Efficient Ecosystems. I bought this set 4 years ago and it works well in 3DL. These are billboards of grass, bushes, and trees you can assemble yourself or use the presets that combines them in a linear or circular scene. Today I tested it in Iray just letting the system do the conversion and it looks good. Note the individual blades of grass you see, much better than the usual flat textures you see for Iray. This Iray render is of one of the linear scene presets. It took 6 minutes to render. I did adjust the cement texture tiling in the X direction as it loaded stretched out (simply made tiling 7).

Oh, that looks nice.  I have that but have not tried it in Iray.  I think I'm going to have to load it up.  Thanks for showing it.  :)

I can't believe this thread already has 9 pages!  You guys just spin on by.  I'll have to see what renders I have with Khory products.  I know I have a few of her things in my library and I've used quite a few of them in renders.  I missed giving my top picks for May.  I did not actually render all that much last month.

Good to hear you son is out of surgery and doing better, Novica.  

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Okay I caved and bought her. I like her expressions and nope I don't want to talk about how much I spent this month nope.

• +1

L'Adair said:

I'm a little bit glad the weather is pushing you off the computer and back to bed. I can't imagine you've gotten enough sleep in the past few days. Take care of yourself. Hugs.

edited June 2017

Okay I caved and bought her. I like her expressions and nope I don't want to talk about how much I spent this month nope.

laugh

To be honest, she looks beautiful, (I don't know how some folks look at her and think she looks masculine!)

But the treasury is all but empty, and the peasants are refusing to pay any more taxes... I just hope those of you who get V8 don't make those of us who didn't too jealous...
    angel

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Maybe owning her will give you a discount on M8 when he arrives.

edited June 2017
    L'Adair said:

Okay I caTo be honest, she looks beautiful, (I don't know how some folks look at her and think she looks masculine!)

I don't think she looks masculine at all. I do notice she looks a bit red in the face and her jaw is firmer . I think skin transparency is up and lots of light is coming through the skin of her face in some of the promos...but I haven't played with her at all yet. I bought the figure and morphs and expressions. I intend to use G3 skins with her so probably won't be buying new female characters.

Maybe owning her will give you a discount on M8 when he arrives.

That would be cool. smiley

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Novica so glad that your son is doing well!

RGcincy said:

I know today will be filled with Victoria 8 postings, but I wanted to point out something in Fast Grab today for less than $4: Ecomantics - Efficient Ecosystems. I bought this set 4 years ago and it works well in 3DL. These are billboards of grass, bushes, and trees you can assemble yourself or use the presets that combines them in a linear or circular scene. Today I tested it in Iray just letting the system do the conversion and it looks good. Note the individual blades of grass you see, much better than the usual flat textures you see for Iray. This Iray render is of one of the linear scene presets. It took 6 minutes to render. I did adjust the cement texture tiling in the X direction as it loaded stretched out (simply made tiling 7).

I can second this its a beautiful resource and has fall colors too.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Still working in Daz 4.6 (because my senile old coffee grinder has enough trouble runnign that), but I must say Genesis 8 seems to work fine in there. Never did a thing with 3, but I may adopt 8 :)

LOL, neither do I! 

To be honest, she looks beautiful, (I don't know how some folks look at her and think she looks masculine!)

But the treasury is all but empty, and the peasants are refusing to pay any more taxes... I just hope those of you who get V8 don't make those of us who didn't too jealous...

L'Adair - Try playing with the free Gen 8 base, There's a lot that can be done with it. Morphs can be transferred over, poses adjusted, skins used. Autofit is working on most things. I posted a render earlier of Anneka's skin on G8F, looked pretty good and the expressions come out well. I'm tweaking one now with Ceridwen's skin and some morph dialing.  We're only on Day 1 of Gen 8. I'm sure we'll see a lot of tips, tricks and tools to get our existing content over as well as do new things we haven't even thought of yet. I'm excited! 

mori_mann said:

Still working in Daz 4.6 (because my senile old coffee grinder has enough trouble runnign that), but I must say Genesis 8 seems to work fine in there. Never did a thing with 3, but I may adopt 8 :)

That's good to know it works well with the older versions. I'm on the latest version but my computer is 5 years old and pretty much upgraded as high as it will go. It keeps chugging along.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Does anyone know whether the orange banner thing works more than once? I ask because I'm on the fence about V8 Bundle as I'm running short of Store Credit and my pre-load dollars cc expired and new one not yet arrived, but I'd like to pick up some of the (cheaper) Gen8 add-ons. The banner said "expires June 22" but not whether it works more than once.

@Novica - glad to hear you mother is doing well, I hope your son has a speedy recovery too.

It appears to still add additional discounts for me. Even though the discount copy says  everything must be in cart at time of purchase I bought her already and put a texture set in the cart and see an additional discount in effect . 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

It appears to still add additional discounts for me. Even though the discount copy says  everything must be in cart at time of purchase I bought her already and put a texture set in the cart and see an additional discount in effect .

Thank you for checking - I may wait till tomorrow in case the cc arrives but nice to know I could pick up the morphs, for example, then come back to V8 in a few days.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2017

I'm guessing that once you buy V8, the store "knows" and the banner remains in play. Since it states it works through the 22nd, that makes sense. And with this new release, they will be releasing quite a few more things. 

@fishtales   That map is really interesting! Thanks for letting us know about it. I bookmarked it.
    @serenenight  It makes sense for M8 that V8 people will get a discount, so just hold on to that thought for rationalization. Remember, I said I wasn't doing it either unless I got a big discount, and they diabolically said, "Okay. Gotcha! Resist this!" 

So, trying to keep up with all the threads from this morning (I just got back online. Yes, thank you, I slept very well. My son is snoozing and can control his own pain meds up to a point. BTW, there's less than 3% chance of complications. We're happy campers so far. He'll sleep most of tonight.) 

Anyway, question- do shoes from G3 work on G8?  Most clothes?

Post edited by Novica on

The shoes don't I hear. G8 has different feet. Haven't tried it personally though.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lots of people have said clothing and skins both work very well on G8.  The base UV map and V7 anyway, some of the specialty characters like Teen Josie show seams when using that skin.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

oh i LOVE the look of VYK Raine! she's on my wishlist for purchase in the next week or so. The really good thing is that she ONLY requires the head and body morphs - I took me a bit to realize you DON'T need Victoria 8 for her - just the head/body morphs. 

I'm not planning on getting V8, but I do want to pick up the head morphs at least - body morphs later on when I have more spare change.  

Novica said:

@jakiblue  Normally I reduce the bust some, but I left her at the default so her chest is larger than what I normally render. The shirt is a bit clingy but some of that may be the leaning forward.

LOL, Llynara's Elizabeth also shows you her large chest. (Those wings look good!) 

Here's VYK Raine For Genesis 8 Female  with Perrin Hair for Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s)  and Sci-Fi Samurai for Genesis 8 Female(s)

I think Raine is going to be one of my favorites. A lot of unique makeups (such as zippers pulling down the cheeks) and a neat skin color. Very classic profile too, sleek nose. She's elegant, but can look deadly too.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Also that Perrin hair looks wonderful! is that just default or did you do something extra special to it?

Just so you know, this thread is still going to be chocked full of G3's. That's going to continue to be my main focus. :)  Speaking of which, let's see if I can entice you spend some money on that.... (evil cackle)

Okay, not sure what is triggering what, but I do have a new V8 thing in the cart (although this section says "A new release" so PC+ may trigger-

Shavonne Hair is 72% off for Gen3F and was an April 10th release (I KNEW there was a reason I didn't have it, it came off new status after 60 days.)  So take a peek at that one.
    Here's a cartoonish gallery one.

Wezor Hair goes 72% off also to  $6.14     Gallery  I have al lot of long hair, this one is simple and I rather like that. EJ's always have excellent morphs though and with 97, you can get SUCH a different look (look at the list) that it's not just a simple long hair. Worth a second look.

VYK Poppy- goes 60%  $7.58   Wanted to point out the second thumbnail, the makeup is quite different. Remember, you can use on other gals! 

VYK Lexie  goes 60% to $7.18   I don't care for the smaller, squinty type eyes, but love the materials. The brows are thicker, and longer across the face. You can morph the eyes to get them larger (or leave as is, if you like them) and change the lids. It's nice to have variety. And she makes quite a good bad gal.

Gigalien from RawArt goes 60% to 8.78. I don't know what the material zones are, but it looks like it would be easy to separate sections and make some really cool effects. Picture this as a metal creature.

While more expensive, look at the headpiece, which is quite unique. And those boot covers can be taken off so you have normal ones. Calyphlox Codex is 60% off and $13.98  With a bodysuit and kitbashing, this will be stunning. There are TWENTY SIX gallery entries with this, that says it all.  Here   Here and note this- how it can be used simply, just the undergarment type approach.

Currently in the process of assigning numbers for the drawing for Top 3-5. You folks need to remind me about that, I got distracted (this time understandabe, but DO tell me anytime a day goes by after the deadline. Just PM me.) So I will be contacting you with your number via PM, sometime this evening, and asking SereneNight later tonight to do the drawing. Good luck!

edited June 2017
    jakiblue said:

Also that Perrin hair looks wonderful! is that just default or did you do something extra special to it?

Just default. And one thing I absolutely adore is it's easy to click on the braid out in the viewport and use the Universal Tool to simply pull it forward or back, away from the clothes. That's whitish light btw, (Pro-Studio HDR as usual)  her skin really is close to that color, perhaps less green though. Very unique.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2017

Dang it @RGcincy   You keep pointing out things I already own and haven't tried. I'm going to have to start a "Do Rich's" list.  (DRL)  I did try the link in the product page which goes to a forum thread. Mods- that should be taken out of there, it's a 404 Error. Probably old forums?

Post edited by Novica on
    mori_mann said:

@morimann   Always enjoy your characters!
    BTW, I posted it but not sure where- I did install the new version of studio- and it did NOT mess up any custom categories. I've surfed quite a few threads and not found any instances of people having problems with that aspect. (If anyone has, please let us know.) 

Okay, I emailed SereneNight with the numbers, she'll post when she draws the number. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

Dang it @RGcincy   You keep pointing out things I already own and haven't tried. I'm going to have to start a "Do Rich's" list.  (DRL) 

I have a lot I haven't rendered, so decided it's time I did. Do you have Sun Temple? An oldie from 2008. I combined it with Ecomantics for an iray render. I replaced the temple's grass with a shader from Nature Shaders as it looked too flat.  Other than that, these are all 3DL textures auto-converted to Iray.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649

Here's a render of G8F default skin and Toulouse hair. I had fun with Power Pose morphing her face and giving her a smirky smile. 

I've been resisting Victoria 8 all day but after another look I'm weakening. She is so beautiful and has fibermesh eyebrows!

RGcincy, I love the Economatics renders you have bee doing. I bought it when it first came out and haven't used it much. Great background trees and awesome grass!

g8f.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 951K

Okay two things I don't really care for. I'm not fond of the hair included in the pro bundle. I thought I was going to get the long blonde hair displayed on the model. One hair, the Godltassel hair is really thin in the hairline.

I'm also not really keen that when I apply makeup options to the skin I can't see them on Vicky in preview. I used to be able to do that. But when Iapply her skin options now I hardly realized I'd done it.

This discussion has been closed.