The They Stuck Gears on my Convoy Whinging Complaint Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

letzzzzz  rock this town, rockit inside out  scream and sh-owww-t 
    rock ... rock  arwoooo

wuh ohs poor billy  lonely is the night lonely lonely lonely sinking dowwww owwwn

edited June 2017

wuh woes page 95

only 5 more pages for steampunk gears!!  on some 1980s junk

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Wheee..., my new video card is installed into my secondary machine and hasn't crashed the system (yet).  Finger's Crossed.  [Knock on Wood too.]

However, if it DOES crash, then at least I know the problem probably lies with the computer and it may be time to euthanize it.  In which case I now have a new(ish), more powerful video card than in is my main machine and I could swap up until I'm ready to invest in a new main machine with an IRAY capable card. 

The trouble with being computer savvy but on a low budget is that I can keep my machines running long past their DBD (die-by-date) and I end up with several machines with long grey beards. frown

You could always do the swap right now...put the new, better, card in the main computer and put the one in there into the older computer.  You may not have to euthanize it, then.

Dana

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,683

Please tell me that is not my taxi.

Forgot what I was going to say complaint thread

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited June 2017
    DanaTA said:

Wheee..., my new video card is installed into my secondary machine and hasn't crashed the system (yet).  Finger's Crossed.  [Knock on Wood too.]

However, if it DOES crash, then at least I know the problem probably lies with the computer and it may be time to euthanize it.  In which case I now have a new(ish), more powerful video card than in is my main machine and I could swap up until I'm ready to invest in a new main machine with an IRAY capable card. 

The trouble with being computer savvy but on a low budget is that I can keep my machines running long past their DBD (die-by-date) and I end up with several machines with long grey beards. frown

You could always do the swap right now...put the new, better, card in the main computer and put the one in there into the older computer.  You may not have to euthanize it, then.

Dana

I could, but through painful experiences I've come to appreciate the policy of not fixing things that aren't broken. enlightened  For the moment I have two machines that, all things considered, are similar and fully functional. cool

I especially don't want to muck with my primary machine.  It's got way too many "improvements" already.  I keep decent backups of the software and will "fix" the machine when it needs it, but I wouldn't be surprised that if I tried to make a change that shouldn't affect anything, I'd violate one of Murphy's Laws and let the blue smoke out of some component. crying

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

It seems hard to drink my lemonade when I left it in the kitchen when I went to my room to change my outfit.   Guess I need to get up and get my lemonade.  My fish are too lazy to get it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006

Please tell me that is not my taxi.

Forgot what I was going to say complaint thread

(waves hand) This is not the taxi you're looking for.

used to like watching taxi, still a fun marathon to watch taxi

remember ghost and mrs muir?   please dont eat the daisies?

marlo thomas 'that girl' not to be confused with batgirl.

DanaTA said:

Dana

I could, but through painful experiences I've come to appreciate the policy of not fixing things that aren't broken. enlightened  For the moment I have two machines that, all things considered, are similar and fully functional. cool

I especially don't want to muck with my primary machine.  It's got way too many "improvements" already.  I keep decent backups of the software and will "fix" the machine when it needs it, but I wouldn't be surprised that if I tried to make a change that shouldn't affect anything, I'd violate one of Murphy's Laws and let the blue smoke out of some component. crying

I actually hate doing hardware work.  I have a FireWire card that needs to be installed so that I can offload lots and lots of miniDV tapes onto the computer.  I've had it for several years.  I tried it once, but the recepticle was positioned oddly and the nice cable I have has a thick plug...which won't fit into the space.  I have to either file the case where the plug goes, or cut some of the plastic off the plug.  I've decided that if I'm careful, shaving a bit of the plug is the better route.  Don't want metal filings floating around inside the case!   surprise  This decision was made nearly a year ago.  The card is still in the box.  frown 

Dana

Mistara said:

remember ghost and mrs muir?   please dont eat the daisies?

marlo thomas 'that girl' not to be confused with batgirl.

Yes.  Yes.  And yes!

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...long beards? You must have a serious case of dust contamination there.
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2017

I don't like doing hardware work after I had surgery.  I might buy an external USB drive instead of installing an internal SATA drive.  I don't feel like taking off both side panels of the case any more.  I need to take one panel off to place the drive into the metal bay.  The drive slides perpendicular to the front.  In my old computer, I can slide the drive in from the front instead of the side.  I need to plug in the power and SATA cable from the other side.  OK, I'm going to bed now.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited June 2017
    kyoto kid said:

laugh (*chuckle*) No, I keep the dust in my machines under control.  But when working on customer's computers loaded with dust I've taken photos that would curl your hair.  Dry dust isn't bad, just a quick blow with some compressed air and it's gone, but gooey, black, tarry, cigarette smoke saturated dust is ugly.  It's like trying to wipe up mollasses. no  (Do kids these days even know what mollasses is?) frown

I had my first introduction to electronics dust when I was about 15.  I used to tinker around in old televisions before transistors, back in the dinosaur age when TVs had about 7 to 10 or more electron tubes that heated up.  The big cabinets were like a heat box that acted as a chimney and sucked in room air and it all contained cigarette smoke.  Now, back in the '60s everybody smoked cigarettes.  I grew up with houses and cars and restaurants and places of business  full of cigarette smoke and never noticed the godawful smell or black sticky stain on the walls until after I quit smoking. 

But, back to TVs... Those old TVs got quite hot and sucked through a lot of air.  When I opened up the back of an old TV I was always confronted with this greasy, slimy, sticky, smeary, gooey dust on the exposed parts.  At the time I never connected it with cigarette smoke, I just figured it was part of the physics of hot electronics. indecision  It never really bothered me and the idle thought in the back of my head was that somehow, electricity running through a resistor or capacitor produced  gooey dust.  surprise  It wasn't until I was working at the Kennedy Space Center during the '70s in my smoke free building and smoke free computer lab where the computer interiors might get a bit dusty but were always ungooey, that I had the epiphany that the gooey dust had always been smoke.  Well, DUH!!!  Not long after that I successfully quit smoking (for the first time.frown)

was up late watching my own gameplay thrus  angel

i sound tired, doh, and then i went from tired to over tired, was giggly tired by the end. 

ate a mars bar last nite, can almost hear the sugar kicking in

I feel like I ate Mars.

tomorrow is last day for Outlook at dayjob.

no wants google mail woesss

Complaint: not even caught up in the slightest with Genesis 3...and today they announce Genesis 8.  8???  Is it that much better than 3?

Dana

Molasses? Isn't that what you see if you look under a WhackAMole game?
    Tjohn said:

laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

Tjohn said:

That is not the mole on so and so's face, is it?  Wish I could whack someone and get away with it by saying I am playing whack a mole.

I decided to whack Facebook from my tablet instead.

Tjohn said:

Could be.  If so, it was probably the last thing that went through their head.

Tjohn said:

That is not the mole on so and so's face, is it?  Wish I could whack someone and get away with it by saying I am playing whack a mole.

That's sinister!  devil  You would most likely be whacked right back!

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited June 2017
    kyoto kid said:

laugh (*chuckle*) No, I keep the dust in my machines under control.  But when working on customer's computers loaded with dust I've taken photos that would curl your hair.  Dry dust isn't bad, just a quick blow with some compressed air and it's gone, but gooey, black, tarry, cigarette smoke saturated dust is ugly.  It's like trying to wipe up mollasses. no  (Do kids these days even know what mollasses is?) frown

I had my first introduction to electronics dust when I was about 15.  I used to tinker around in old televisions before transistors, back in the dinosaur age when TVs had about 7 to 10 or more electron tubes that heated up.  The big cabinets were like a heat box that acted as a chimney and sucked in room air and it all contained cigarette smoke.  Now, back in the '60s everybody smoked cigarettes.  I grew up with houses and cars and restaurants and places of business  full of cigarette smoke and never noticed the godawful smell or black sticky stain on the walls until after I quit smoking. 

But, back to TVs... Those old TVs got quite hot and sucked through a lot of air.  When I opened up the back of an old TV I was always confronted with this greasy, slimy, sticky, smeary, gooey dust on the exposed parts.  At the time I never connected it with cigarette smoke, I just figured it was part of the physics of hot electronics. indecision  It never really bothered me and the idle thought in the back of my head was that somehow, electricity running through a resistor or capacitor produced  gooey dust.  surprise  It wasn't until I was working at the Kennedy Space Center during the '70s in my smoke free building and smoke free computer lab where the computer interiors might get a bit dusty but were always ungooey, that I had the epiphany that the gooey dust had always been smoke.  Well, DUH!!!  Not long after that I successfully quit smoking (for the first time.frown)

...yeah I remember those days.  People could smoke on Greyhound buses, trains, and airliners.  My mum was a heavy smoker and it wasn't unusual to see clouds of smoke wafting through the living room.  Sadly, in the end the habit claimed her life at too young an age.

I smoked, had pretty much to when I was in Germany as just about everyone in secondary school there did it back then.  Returning to the States and buying a pack of American cigarettes is what broke me of the habit.  Now while overseas, I was smoking mostly French imports as I lived near the French border in Baden Württenburg (between Karlsruhe and Rastatt), as well as occasionally Russian cigarettes (for some reason popular at the time there, and they were strong).  Well, when I lit up and took the first few puffs (don't remember the brand), I almost gagged. They were harsh and tasted like rubbish rolled in paper compared to the ones I had in Europe. Never finished the pack and just quit (think I tossed about it out about half full, fortunately it only cost me about 35¢).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 2017

Complaint:  End of financial month blues.  I've got $4 to last five more days.  And I'm already overdrawn on my budget for next month. sad Yeah, yeah, I know.  It's not a biggie in the complaint department but I've been raiding the penny jar (literally) for a week and hibernating in the house just to stay solvent.   I've been a baaaad boy and spent money on DAZ dolls and computer parts and too many nutritional meals during the first two weeks of the month (I blame the good weather).  Although, I do still have a little gas in the car so I can go somewhere close, but do you how depressing it is to go somewhere and not spend money? frown 

There's a small village fair in the town south of me this weekend.  I think I'll go and park outside the pay parking area, and wander through the fair smelling the popcorn, cotton candy, caramel apples, crowd sweat and attraction ride grease to get a free high. indecision

caffienate me!  kerthunk face on keyboard

why is the radio silent?  

ohh ohh ohh listen to the music

which doobie yoo bee 

luv the one your with

invisible airways crackle with life, bristles with the energy  

Blah...one of those days. Nothing is real. And nothing to get hung about.

I want free coffee!

I think the sugar in my coffee is well shakened by now.  Probably should drink it.  We are stopping now at Durham I think.  We are heading to Charlotte.   Well I am to see family.

Wish I could use my laptop right now.

edited June 2017
    Tjohn said:
    Blah...one of those days. Nothing is real. And nothing to get hung about.

"Strawberries Field Forever"  by the Be Atles

Also if you're worried about what is reality, here's something else to curl your hair.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ztlIAYTCU

This discussion has been closed.