The They Stuck Gears on my Convoy Whinging Complaint Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

total boredom.  is like losing the will to live  lol

only 11:30am  oscar meyer gulf

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited June 2017

My aunt had five kids.  They went through the phase where they would try to whine "I'm bored".  To which she replied: "Being bored is your own fault.  I can fix that for you but you won't like it." They got over the phase real quick.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

bored is throwing old equipment manuals in the cardboard recycle bin, having to remove the plastic spiral binder thingees first, snaps at fingers, ouchie. havent started on the wire bound manuals.   to quote Theodin king, 'how did it come to this'

edited June 2017
    Mistara said:

bored is throwing old equipment manuals in the cardboard recycle bin, having to remove the plastic spiral binder thingees first, snaps at fingers, ouchie. havent started on the wire bound manuals.   to quote Theodin king, 'how did it come to this'

I sort of enjoy that type of work now and then.  It's what I call mindless work, like ironing or dusting, vacuuming, or doing dishes.  Something that doesn't require deep thought and one just does it because it has to be done.   And it's especially convenient if you're getting paid to do it.  One of my favorite things to do at work was updating manuals (back when computers came with manuals and they sent you a set of revised pages every month that had to be substituted for the obsoleted pages).  The benefit of doing it is that you were the one who knew what had changed and you could be the guru.  Regardless, it had to be done!  If you didn't do it, your manuals no longer were accurate and you could shoot yourself in the foot by following old information.  Now days, manuals (if any) come to you inaccurate and just get moreso as time progresses.   Foot shooting isn't even covered by insurance, even if you have insurance. frown

edited June 2017

the stockroom is hot and stuffy - complaint/whinge

iso nitpicky, green tags, red tags, don't mix red tagged and green tagged on same shelf.
    reference manual index has to be a certain way, manuals has to be stamped. rev#s

bin of old old oscillator crystals, from before my time here, means is over 15 years. i think they degrade over time?  

almost bus time. i'se really in the mood for fish n chips dinner, no store on my way home makes fish n chips. 

retirement 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited June 2017

Complaint: (sort of) I bit the bullet and bought a new video card today.  Not for my main machine, but for a "spare" that's been band-aided since its WindowsVista days.  The original network chip was fried by lightning 5 years ago and I inserted a scavenged network card.  Then a couple years ago the on-board video chip died and I replaced it with a GeForce GT520 video card.  Somewhere along the line, the original power supply died and was replaced with a 500w supply.   Now for almost a year the GT520 has been causing crashes and screen weirdness so I'd not used the computer for the last 6 months.

Then today I had a scare because my main machine wierded out.  frown  So, I pressed and held the power button to force it into a power down, but then it wouldn't power up again. crying  Realize that my main machine is practically grown into the space under my desk.  Cobwebs, cables, dust and limited working room make it a royal pain to get it out.  But since I was forced into the situation I dragged the vacuum over to the computer and lowered my oversized body into the not quite big enough space under my desk and sucked up the detritus, unhooked my main computer and pulled it out to begin the job of trying to figure out why it wouldn't power back up again.  indecision

During this process to fix my main machine, I wanted to use my "spare" machine to get back on the Internet while working on my main computer but remembered that my "spare" had a bad graphics card so I disassembled it too.  I looked at all the particulars, and browsed NewEgg.com and found a refurbished GeForce GT730 for $49.  I figured that was about as much as I was willing to spend on the next "band-aid" in that old machine.  Heck it is dual-core, does have 8GB RAM and 1.5TB storage, and runs Win10, so it's not completely obsolete. angel

Sooo..., to make a long story short,.. too late!  After using a third machine (my old laptop) to get on the Internet and order the replacement video card for the "spare" machine, I then turned my attention back to my "main" machine.  Hooked it up to power, a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and tested it again and it just worked as normal! surprise  I don't know what had been wrong, but I tested the output of my UPS battery, and all the other simple possibles, but everything is OK.  Go Figure! frown

So, now after 5 hours of futzing around I have my new video card ordered, and my main computer is back on line, but during this shakeup I decided to relocate it to a better, more accessible spot which meant rerouting wires and I have many many of them attached.  My philosopy about electronic equipment is:  "If there's a socket, I must find something to plug into it."  devil

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited June 2017

..well one more day (supposedly) until "E-Day" here (when the eviction notice is to be issued) .  Granted, this does not mean "get out right now" as there usually is a time line for having to vacate that can be up to 30 days or as short as 72 hours.   The original owners still have a lot of stuff here (including some items I cannot see them just abandoning like a fairly new dishwasher and a really nice bike) and haven't come back all week to retrieve it in spite of the apparent urgency of the situation when I spoke with them last Friday.

In the meantime dealing with having to download and install items I purchased the old way as my workstation does not have wireless capability.  So I first download the zips to my notebook after which I transfer them to a USB stick and then move them to the workstation to where I move them to the DIM install folder so I don't have to do it all manually.  Yeah a little more involved but better than nothing. 

Also been working more with Skin Builder Pro 3 and loving it.  Wow, Leela with freckles and fair skin like most gingers have (in the story her mother is from Scotland). Also reworked her hair colour using Slosh's UHT-2 shaders to make her more of a true ginger as I intended (most "red" hair shades provided with hair content tend to range from auburn to "carrot" and sometimes strawberry blonde, but not actual ginger).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

My computer does not see internet but it connected to same WiFi as this tablet.

no cheese left to smear on crackers.  snackless on a thor's day night 

I could watch a Thor movie but first I need to check on laundry.

edited June 2017

he's in snow white and the huntsman

feelin nostalgia, munsters, addam's family ... "you rang"

dont want to watch vikings anymore, went a lil to over the top for me.
    think i'd rather watch a ferris wheel

is game o thrones back yet?

havent seen it since the 'dogs' who hadnt been fed in 7 days.  he was like 'sit' lol

Thor is not in my laundry room.

I need to download something from my email but email will not load.

remember when Hulk punched Thor sideways?  teee heeee  

remember the scene Clouseau was tryin to cross the moat?
    he was saying room but it came out sounding like rim.
    and the bird, bwaahh the bird

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2017

My cheap $9 camera tripod broke.  The plastic part broke from too much stress.  I only had the tripod for a few months.

Post edited by starionwolf on

...duct tape, the universal repair kit.  It helped keep the Apollo 11 astronauts alive

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    kyoto kid said:

...duct tape, the universal repair kit.  It helped keep the Apollo 11 astronauts alive

It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together . . .

I want to go back to bed.

edited June 2017

My cheap $9 camera tripod broke.  The plastic part broke from too much stress.  I only had the tripod for a few months.

Happens to metal too. sad I had a decent 60x childs telescope when I was about 12.  Used it to go out in the backyard and look at the Moon and I could even see the rings of Saturn. cool  And I would lug it up the hill behind our house and spy on the streets of the town below. devil (Despite the image being upside down).  Back in 1960 things were still made out of glass and metal.   The cradle of the telescope was a simple cast aluminum "U" with a thumbscrew to tighten it against the barrel of the telescope.  The legs were short (10") but I made longer legs for it with lengths of old Yagi style TV antenna rods (try to find one of those these days!)  Unfortunately the knob against the barrel got smoother with use and eventually it kept sliping and wouldn't hold it's position so one day it was tightened too tight and the "U" cradle broke in half at the bottom of the "U".crying  My father pieced it together with a metal plate and screws but it was never the same.  Nice 'scope though!  Much higher quality than the type you get for kids these days.  It's around here somewhere still.  I now have a fortune in photography  tripods and I could probably properly fix that 'scope mount now but telescopes haven't interested me since the Hubble started posting pictures on the Internet. indecision

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

My whiny complaint of the morning:  Why is it, whenever I order something online and it says 'Please allow 2-6 weeks for delivery', why don't I ever get it after 2 weeks, or even 4 weeks?  Why does mine always take the full 6 weeks, or even 8??  Why can't I ever get my package before I start to worry that it may have been lost and I'm out what I paid??  It's been 4 weeks since I orodered a book.  It shouldn't take 4 weeks to come across the border into Canada.  It's just a book.  What, do the Customs guys need to sit there and read it first??

Booooooooooo....

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Stryder87 said:

My whiny complaint of the morning:  Why is it, whenever I order something online and it says 'Please allow 2-6 weeks for delivery', why don't I ever get it after 2 weeks, or even 4 weeks?  Why does mine always take the full 6 weeks, or even 8??  Why can't I ever get my package before I start to worry that it may have been lost and I'm out what I paid??  It's been 4 weeks since I orodered a book.  It shouldn't take 4 weeks to come across the border into Canada.  It's just a book.  What, do the Customs guys need to sit there and read it first??

Booooooooooo....

I think it's related to Murphy's law.   Like when I have a grocery delivery coming.  I am given a one hour slot.  So at 5 minutes to the beginning of the hour I start trying to herd my 2 indoor cats to the back of the house and the utility area to be shut in. Normally I have to bribe them with dreamies (temptations).  A dozen dreamies doesn't last them long before they start wanting out again.  So why does the grocery delivery not turn up till 5 or 10 minutes before the end of the allocated hour slot, except of course on thos times when I forget to cage the cats before the hour starts.  On those days the groceries turn up at 1 minute after the hour starts.

edited June 2017

the mechanics of space, law, and time, and fickle cat luck ?

why do they make me put something in cart to see the price?
    what purpose does that serve?
    when i search the internet for krups coffeemakers, why does it give me links to stores with no krups?

i've had the same krups coffee maker since the 90's.  i feel like i still want a new one, even though it still works. 1 with an auto timer shut off would be nice.  

i want to replace a few other things from the 90's, my teac stereo receiver is 80's, it has no idea what a mp3 file is.

whoooo

my dreams they aren't as empty as my conshuss
    tee hee
    my farts aren't as empty as ... 

dreaming about tomatoes and camera dollies.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    New computer ordered. Wait wait wait... Zzz zzz....

At pool and do not feel like putting on sun tan stuff on my body.   I probably need to go back in the pool.   I just got here but I cannot stay long.

Mistara said:

whoooo

my dreams they aren't as empty as my conshuss
    tee hee
    my farts aren't as empty as ... 

dreaming about tomatoes and camera dollies.

Stop breathing the paint fumes. surprise

edited June 2017
    Stryder87 said:

Booooooooooo....

...no where near as bad as the waitlists for a low income apartment where I live. Here you are talking an average of 3 to 5 years.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on

they stuck gears on it call it steampunk

saw baby luna at rmp, creature head morphs lol

This discussion has been closed.