Hidden Treasures- Fun with Older Sets

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,020
    edited June 2017

Used Palace of Leaves for the background here (with it's original texture, except for the leaves)!

Used Throne of the Death King by @DryJack which is free! Needless to say, this set is AMAZING! I did use Bone and Fantasy Scale Iray Shaders to reshade the props, but I kept most of the original textures.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you Lisa A'dairthat is good to know.

Giselle3000 your welcome and wow beautiful renders!

I had to go and count how many of DM's sets I actually have.  Seems like I really like his sets as I have 42 of them....

I really love using the older sets too.  And one of my favorite things aobut DM's sets aside from the fact that they are super cool is all of the poses and props that come with them.  And if you have the pose converters you know have a tone of poses for each generation as well.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Lisa? Who's Lisa? wink

-Anita
     aka L'Adair

P.S. You're welcome. smiley

L'Adair said:

Lisa? Who's Lisa? wink

-Anita
     aka L'Adair

Ugh stupid auto correct!  That will teach me to use my phone to resond lol.  So sorry!

L'Adair said:

Lisa? Who's Lisa? wink

-Anita
     aka L'Adair

Ugh stupid auto correct!  That will teach me to use my phone to resond lol.  So sorry!

LOL... That's what I thought. Notice I winked... But... Life is too serious to not inject a bit of levity when the opportunity arises.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569

...wow, this is a lot of fun seeing new life being breathed into old sets and other content.  Some very lovely pics here.

Here's one more, using The Alchemy Chasm with it's original textures.

Here's one more, using The Alchemy Chasm with it's original textures.

One of the very first sets I ever used lol.  Looks great!

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Lisa? Who's Lisa? wink

-Anita
     aka L'Adair

LOL... That's what I thought. Notice I winked... But... Life is too serious to not inject a bit of levity when the opportunity arises.

Yes, this is true lol.

You guys probably already know this, but I only clicked the drop-down last night, while looking for an old set to render... DS will sort products on a number of different things, like A-Z or Z-A, (just like DIM.) So I set the sort filter to the product ID, lowest first and then clicked on Environments in the left column. Voila, sets listed from the oldest to the newest! I'm playing with "The Courtyard" now... Hard to imagine, but the textures are a whopping 1500 pixels square!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,320

It is great how a physically based render breathes new life into these.  I think I 'm going to dust off the Trinity Atrium and the Cloister by Jack Tomalin and see how they render.  Always liked the look of those two sets. 

edited June 2017

I should probably stop looking at my old renders... lol... Anyway, here's one I did last September using Apartment 39. I did apply one of JGreenlees carpet shaders on the floor, but the rest of the apartment is, I believve, just Iray Uber conversion. The scene out the window is from Apartment 39, but I plugged the image into the emissive parameter and added enough lumens for it to look "real." (The image was to showcase the tablecloth, which was made using my Filter Forge Lavish Lace filter.)

"Expecting Friends"

Expecting Friends, by L'Adair

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

oh you can do it with 3delight as well, this is one where you can see a bit of the structure ist from the castillo del diablolo https://www.daz3d.com/castillo-del-diablo without the stone in the back

this one is in Iray the cheyenne Camp https://www.daz3d.com/native-cheyenne-village

And last one for today, as well in Iray the Park side tube station https://www.daz3d.com/parkside-tube-station

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

Oh my gosh, these are great! So many different sets showcased too! I'll update the index asap. Loving seeing all these sets spruced up for Iray, and all the creative things people are doing with them. So cool! 

And I have to laugh, I went to look up some of these older sets and FORGOT I ALREADY OWN THEM! laugh

@L'Adair Love the tablecloth! The whole image is great, but that tablecloth looks outstanding. I really need to dig in to Filter Forge. I picked it up on sale a while back and haven't- had a chance to use it much yet. Story of my life! LOL

@Linwelly - the fire effect is incredible in your Cheyenne image! Wow, I need to learn how to do that. Love the DOF on it too.

@giselle3000 - One more tip on the Stardome: no matter what I tried, the dome still renders a bit low res even though the actual image for it is very high res. I worked around that by rendering it very large, then taking it into Photoshop and running the "Glamour Glow" preset in the Nik Collection (under Color Efex.) It really does a nice job of hiding the imperfections and making that stardome look beautiful.

FYI to anyone who doesn't have the Nik Collection- Google is giving it away for free (it used to sell for hundreds of dollars.) So if you Google it, you can't miss it. Great tools for Photoshop.

Post edited by Llynara on
    L'Adair said:

You guys probably already know this, but I only clicked the drop-down last night, while looking for an old set to render... DS will sort products on a number of different things, like A-Z or Z-A, (just like DIM.) So I set the sort filter to the product ID, lowest first and then clicked on Environments in the left column. Voila, sets listed from the oldest to the newest! I'm playing with "The Courtyard" now... Hard to imagine, but the textures are a whopping 1500 pixels square!

Oh, nice trick! Didn't even think to set the list from oldest to newest! This will make things easier to find stuff, I think! Thanks for the tip @L'Adair! Also that render using Apartment 39 looks amazing! I've seen the set go on sale often, for very cheap. But I've always been on the fence. However, that looks really good with Iray, so I'll pick it up next time! Do you have the add-on with all the props/furniture (think I remember seeing it)? And if so, have you tried rendering those?

@Linwelly, awesome renders! I've got two out of the three sets you showcased! I'm surprised at how well Cheyenne Camp looks! Didn't expect that when I picked it up, to be honest!

@Llynara, thanks for the tips! I think I picked up the Nik Collection at some point, but never actually put it to use. Will play around with it during the weekend :).

Courage Realm by DM

L'Adair said:

I did not know this thank you!

L'Adair said:

I did not know this thank you!

edited June 2017

Oh, nice trick! Didn't even think to set the list from oldest to newest! This will make things easier to find stuff, I think! Thanks for the tip @L'Adair! Also that render using Apartment 39 looks amazing! I've seen the set go on sale often, for very cheap. But I've always been on the fence. However, that looks really good with Iray, so I'll pick it up next time! Do you have the add-on with all the props/furniture (think I remember seeing it)? And if so, have you tried rendering those?

No, I don't. I thought about it last weekend when it was 60¢, but decided I had plenty of furniture to go around. I'm big on kit-bashing, anyway, so I'm good.

And thank all of you for the nice words about the Apartment 39 render and the tablecloth.

@Llynara, I don't spend a lot of time using Filter Forge. Just when I need something specific, or when I'm creating a filter to share. I created three fairly quickly when I first started playing with it, then a fourth one last summer, the Lavish Lace, (after getting a couple of emails about two filters gaining High rank!)

L'Adair said:

Do you have the add-on with all the props/furniture (think I remember seeing it)? And if so, have you tried rendering those?

No, I don't. I thought about it last weekend when it was 60¢, but decided I had plenty of furniture to go around. I'm big on kit-bashing, anyway, so I'm good.

@L'Adair, yeah, I'm the same. I had thought about picking them up since they were cheap, but am not sure about the quality.

edited June 2017

So I remember picking up F3D_Ruins Elven Portal by freedome3design (it's a free set over at rendo, btw). It does require some tweaking for it to look good in Iray, but not a lot. Here's the general process:

This is what the set looks like out of the box (not adding anything except the lights & HDRI sky). It looks pretty good, but the detail gets lost when you go in close and it lacks contrast.

This is what the set looks like reshaded with NGS & Nature Shader leaves minus the dragon, egg & magic:

1st version converted to Iray via Uberbase followed by N.G.S. Anagenessis for Genesis 3's free manual script. You can see the grass and leaves turned out weird. 

2nd version re-shaded the grass and leaves with Nature Shaders.

Final version with Photoshop Post-Work:

F3D_RuinsElvenPortal-OutoftheBox.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    F3D_RuinsElvenPortal-PrePhotoshop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    F3D_RuinsElvenPortal-OutOfBox.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    F3D_RuinsElvenPortal-NGS.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Linwelly said:

oh you can do it with 3delight as well, this is one where you can see a bit of the structure ist from the castillo del diablolo https://www.daz3d.com/castillo-del-diablo without the stone in the back

...really ice, love the god rays.  Reminds me of the film Maleficent.

Thanks a lot kyoto kid!

Here ios another one made new with 3delight means, the set is DMR Lynettes dark rites https://www.daz3d.com/dmr-lynettes-dark-rites

The details of what I changed you can find in my thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2497276/#Comment_2497276

edited June 2017

Tangien Courtyard
    Tangien Portico
    Tangien Corner

I really like this set and it renders well in Iray "out-of-the-box." While they are three separate products, Tangien Courtyard combines all but the grounds of Tangien Portico and Tangien Corner into a large courtyard with a corner on either side of the portico. I bought the courtyard first, then later got the portico on sale for the textures. Not exactly sure when I got the corner, but I did because the buildings of the courtyard are one object. I wanted to be able to use just the corner. Anyway...

First up, the "right corner," featuring the green Ivy with flowers, the terracotta vase, tarnished bronze metal (Mec4d PBR Shaders V2) and my own treatment on the glass of the lanterns. Also, I made the candle flame emissive, enough to show up in the render. Except for the metal, the lantern glass and the candle flame, this is just 3Delight converted using Iray Uber Base.

One corner of Tangien Courtyard, by L'Adair

Next is the "left corner," featuring the brown, (autumn,) ivy, and cream vase. Only the metal of the gates and the wall insets have the Iray shader used on the other corner, (the metal on both sides uses the same material zones.) The rest of this building, and the lanterns and the metal of the vase stands are 3Delight converted using the Iray Uber Base.

The other corner of Tangien Courtyard, by L'Adair

And finally, the portico. No metal or other embellishments on the portico. This is straight 3Delight converted using the Iray Uber Base.

The middle section, portico, of the Tangien Courtyard, by L'Adair

The only issue I see is the courtyard ground. Depending on the angle of your camera, the pattern can be very busy. Additionally, close up has the same problem as a lot of the older sets. Instead of tiling, it uses one large texture for the whole thing, but "large" isn't large enough for Iray.

I placed Tangien Courtyard in the TerraDome 3, using both land zones and an HDRI. I rotated zone B as necessary to keep something behind the buildings.

I used the Tangien Portico in "The Weaker Sex?" an Iray render done back in July of 2015. Still learning Iray, I applied the Iray marble shader that comes with DS to the building and the ground. If I were doing that render today, I'd use one of the 3DL materials and convert it. Much more interesting than all the marble!

Tangien Courtyard 01.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
    Tangien Courtyard 02.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M
    Tangien Courtyard 03.png
    2000 x 1600 - 5M

...that looks really good.  I have that somewhere rattling about in my runtimes.

If you "recently" purchased one of the DM sets when the discounts were really deep, you may notice that banner which must not be named across the top of the page... I've got 5 DM sets in my cart right now, at 89% off, (being a PC+ member and they all being DOs...) Cart total is $10.68. (I already picked up almost $5 of PC+ stuff at 30¢ each.) Don't see the banner which must not be named? Check "Exclusive Offers" in your Messages Inbox...

L'Adair said:

If you "recently" purchased one of the DM sets when the discounts were really deep, you may notice that banner which must not be named across the top of the page... I've got 5 DM sets in my cart right now, at 89% off, (being a PC+ member and they all being DOs...) Cart total is $10.68. (I already picked up almost $5 of PC+ stuff at 30¢ each.) Don't see the banner which must not be named? Check "Exclusive Offers" in your Messages Inbox...

I got a different banner which must not be named haha, pertaining to V4/M4 (I bought SO many items for those figures, that it might've triggered the banner). Also, nice renders! I've got two of those three products in my runtime but I haven't had a chance to render them. Too bad about that floor. It does look busy. Almost like the tiling got weird...

edited June 2017

I rendered "The Study" yesterday (since I picked it up during the last sale) and I'm happy with the N.G.S. conversion.

So, here's the render with only an uberbase thrown in, except for the fire (which I converted to emission). The entire thing is pretty much lighted by the fire and an HDRI map from the iRadiance collection.

The tweaked version:

• surfaces converted to Iray via Uberbase and then I applied N.G.S.'s freebie script. Applied it even to the dog :D
    • Except for the "clockface" of the clock prop. When I used the N.G.S. script on it, it went white, so I simply left that one alone.
    • For the metals parts I used Mec4d PBS Shaders vol.1.
    • For the windows Iray Glass Shaders

PS: Ignore the fact that the chair is going through that dog... D:

TheStudy_OutofBox.png
    1000 x 618 - 1M
    TheStudy_NGS.png
    1000 x 618 - 1M