Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2017

Okay, I'm going to change my opinion on the sales approach- just for today though. I've said I don't like the 30% a new release, no matter how many you buy, with a 10% (usually) added discount on the stores. Well, if you're not shopping today, you're missing some of the lowest prices the store items have been in awhile. 60% to 88% off! 

Here's what you do- 
    1. Buy a new release. I went with a set of course. Palm Road for 15.37   Congrats, you will now get an extra 20% the stores.

2. Buy 3 things from the stores. Bamm! Prices drop ANOTHER 20%.  Capsces poses are dirt cheap, they go down 88% in some cases, to $1.81, grab three and you're good to go.

I'll show you some typical prices- and with the one new release, my cart was STILL 61% off overall. Good deal! 

And I also used my $6 off of vendors ($18 purchases required, easy to do with this sale- on average, the items are 62% off) and the cart went to 62% But I am showing you the prices without that applied.

Note you may have an orange banner for the new 3DUniverse bundle. (and only that one.) Also note you can get the Mega Bundle for Megan and Matt for $19.18, that's 62% off. The new one is 44% if you got the banner. (I got it, I'm supporting a vendor who is giving additional discounts. I look at it this way, would I do a character AND hair AND clothing for that price? 

So here's some typical prices for you with the new release, three products from the stores.

TIP: Note if you want the Markus zombie but didn't want to pay for the bundles, the zombie is 9.11 (69% off, can't get much better than almost 70%)  the hair 6.28 and 69%, and Capses Living Dead Poses are 2.85 and 88% off- for a total of 18.24  Now, Survivor Outfit is on sale at 66%  and 6.98, it's a DO so if you want to use your code, you'd have the outfit too, for .98 more. That's 19.22 for character, outfit, hair, and pose, compared to  34.63 for the bundle.  Just saying.   And LOL- that difference, the bundle vs the way I did it is 34.63 - 19.22 = 15.41. OH LOOKEE, PALM ROAD, THE NEW RELEASE, IS $15.37. I came out 4 cents ahead, and got items at 62-88% off. 

ALso, if you bought IH Kang the past few days, put in a support ticket, each item will be at least $2 difference.

So think about getting a new release and see what you can do. Understand, I am not seeing the majority of what is in the stores, only what I don't already own. So I am sure there's a lot more great combinations out there. Look at 3DUniverse's bundles. There's another thing, but I'm not pointing it out. If you read this post, you'll be covered. (Trust me.) 

I'll attach screenshots of things I tested. Getting a lot of it. I think Victoria 8 is due for release this summer, but I'm not sure I'm diving in to that much. So stocking up on Genesis 3 items.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

orderJune1.jpg
    968 x 699 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    Novica said:
    Fishtales said:

I thought Jericho looked a bit smooth and waxy so I was going to make a Normal map to get some bump on the skin. In the process I found all the maps in the folder that Iray Uber Base didn't load bump, dispalcement and specular maps  so had a quick (and nasty) mess about with them. I haven't spent much time on these so they aren't great.

Sandy, I'm not technical so bear with me- does UberBase never load those? Or was this a unique kind of thing?

It isn't the first time I have noticed that some maps don't get imported when using Iray Uber Base, but it never sticks long enough in my brain to go and check every time :) It is only if I want to browse to the texture folder of the item for some reason that I discover the missing maps, like this time.

Oh goodness, we've breezed through 97 pages (x 30 posts is 2,910 posts!) since January. Almost ready for thread NINE. I'm having fun, I hope you are, too. Thanks for helping to feature GypsyAngel, I noticed she posted in her commercial thread about her heart surgery (two trips to the hospital ICU) so I can mention that here too. When her store comes up on sale, please consider supporting this very talented artist, hospital bills are never welcome.  I still can't believe Brahm got past me! 

I'm going to render some IH Kang for you since that store has got good discounts today. Just doing quickie renders, nothing fancy. So now, any IH Kang's you have, would love to see them!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I am always eagerly awaiting GypsyAngels sales.  I'm hoping to eventually own most of what she has available lol.

BTW, take a second look at Captain Charisma by 3DUniverse, look at what you can do with his morphs!  (Please comment on gallery images, artists don't get the recognition noted very often.) 

edited June 2017

Amber Character and Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)  (sale)      Equestrian Uniform for Genesis 3 Female(s)   (on sale) 

Fantasy Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)  (sale)   Fairy Poses Mika 7  (Some really normal poses.)  

She renders quickly, 18 minutes with that hair (I just bought it) 

amberHorsebackoutfit2.jpg
    680 x 900 - 405K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017
    Novica said:

Okay, I'm going to change my opinion on the sales approach- just for today though. I've said I don't like the 30% a new release, no matter how many you buy, with a 10% (usually) added discount on the stores. Well, if you're not shopping today, you're missing some of the lowest prices the store items have been in awhile. 60% to 88% off! 

Here's what you do- 
    1. Buy a new release. I went with a set of course. Palm Road for 15.37   Congrats, you will now get an extra 20% the stores.

2. Buy 3 things from the stores. Bamm! Prices drop ANOTHER 20%.  Capsces poses are dirt cheap, they go down 88% in some cases, to $1.81, grab three and you're good to go.

I'll show you some typical prices- and with the one new release, my cart was STILL 61% off overall. Good deal! 

And I also used my $6 off of vendors ($18 purchases required, easy to do with this sale- on average, the items are 62% off) and the cart went to 62% But I am showing you the prices without that applied.

Note you may have an orange banner for the new 3DUniverse bundle. (and only that one.) Also note you can get the Mega Bundle for Megan and Matt for $19.18, that's 62% off. The new one is 44% if you got the banner. (I got it, I'm supporting a vendor who is giving additional discounts. I look at it this way, would I do a character AND hair AND clothing for that price? 

So here's some typical prices for you with the new release, three products from the stores.

TIP: Note if you want the Markus zombie but didn't want to pay for the bundles, the zombie is 9.11 (69% off, can't get much better than almost 70%)  the hair 6.28 and 69%, and Capses Living Dead Poses are 2.85 and 88% off- for a total of 18.24  Now, Survivor Outfit is on sale at 66%  and 6.98, it's a DO so if you want to use your code, you'd have the outfit too, for .98 more. That's 19.22 for character, outfit, hair, and pose, compared to  34.63 for the bundle.  Just saying.   And LOL- that difference, the bundle vs the way I did it is 34.63 - 19.22 = 15.41. OH LOOKEE, PALM ROAD, THE NEW RELEASE, IS $15.37. I came out 4 cents ahead, and got items at 62-88% off. 

ALso, if you bought IH Kang the past few days, put in a support ticket, each item will be at least $2 difference.

So think about getting a new release and see what you can do. Understand, I am not seeing the majority of what is in the stores, only what I don't already own. So I am sure there's a lot more great combinations out there. Look at 3DUniverse's bundles. There's another thing, but I'm not pointing it out. If you read this post, you'll be covered. (Trust me.)

As I mentioned elsewhere, resistance in futile. I did pick up some really good deals, though. Thanks for the heads up on the 20% stacking on 20%... I didn't catch that from the adcopy, though it's obvious since you pointed it out. Here's my most recent cart... almost a third of my budget for June! lol... at least I was able to use my coupon.

My shopping cart, June 6, 2017

Cart_2017-06-01_13.43.56.png
    1146 x 1287 - 284K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited June 2017

Glad to be of help. (Spending your money is ALWAYS fun.)  devil

Seriously, glad you got the Toon Generations at such a good price, I already had them so no love there. And yeah, it took me a bit to wonder why I was getting cheaper prices, so I thought I'd go back and read the terms again. That's when I realized the 20% wasn't the same 20%, that they were indeed two different stacking 20's.  Yippee!  I take back every nasty thing I said about getting only 30% off a new release, no matter how many I buy- but JUST FOR TODAY. This is only going to work for me if they do what they did today with TWO different stacking discounts. 

Hope people are noticing that Fantasy Hair, it hasn't been off New status very long. I had it wishlisted. Here's the backside. Just a quickie, didn't even adjust lighting to show it in the best manner. I also added a full length to the Equestrian Outfit render a couple posts back.

amberHorsebackoutfit3.png
    317 x 462 - 191K
    Post edited by Novica on

Interesting- I paid $7.31 for the Fantasy Hair, you paid $7.  Ripoff LOL!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Interesting- I paid $7.31 for the Fantasy Hair, you paid $7.  Ripoff LOL!

The PA coupon is responsible for that. It was $7.66 before I applied the coupon...

edited June 2017

Ah, I had a lot in the cart, so mine got applied over many things. Thanks for explaining!

Here's Amber Character and Hair again, and IH Kang's H & C Short Casual A for Genesis 3 Females

Amber's Hair is the Choppy Bob Hair with California Highlights. 

Let's talk poses, because those poor content creators often get overlooked in the kudos department. These are the Capses Poses for Aiko 7 and are 3.35, or about $2 or less if you buy a new release and 3 things from the stores (including these cheap poses. Several available!) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Here is a render with an IH Kang's outfit (the tie is not from from that outfit) : https://www.daz3d.com/h-c-business-suit-a-for-genesis-3-male-s

edited June 2017

Thank you @xmasrose   I love the color you changed it to!

Here's Survivor Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s) as mentioned in my post about getting Markus, the hair, clothing, and poses for a good price.

Markus Zombie for Genesis 3 Male(s)     Markus Hair for Genesis 3 Male(s)

I darkened Markus' base a little bit so it wasn't so glaring, did a light blue/gray. Also increased the bump slightly.

That's all from me, been at the computer all day so headed out to run errands, go see mom. She's doing physical therapy but still can't put a lot of weight on the foot. Will be weeks. She's in specialized care at the assisted living home, and has a family of four turtles on her porch. It's so cute, they put hot neon tape on the shells so the yard crews know where they are when they mow!  

markus.png
    582 x 800 - 717K
    Post edited by Novica on

For those of you who have been waiting, Creech is finally here as well.  Super surprised that they did not do a bundle on this one, it just screams bundle.  But you can do the discounts the same way with those items as well.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Thank you @novica for explaining how the sale works. I wasn't buying anything until you did.  Now I got the Megan and Matt bundle and quite a bit of other stuff. Daz should hire you as their "sales interpreter."  Lol

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I'm waiting to see more renders of Creech by users of the product . The promos look a touch like wood or are indistinct and I'm having trouble seeing the figure

Thank you @novica for explaining how the sale works. I wasn't buying anything until you did.  Now I got the Megan and Matt bundle and quite a bit of other stuff. Daz should hire you as their "sales interpreter."  Lol

Happy to help. 

I'm waiting to see more renders of Creech by users of the product . The promos look a touch like wood or are indistinct and I'm having trouble seeing the figure

I'm going to be doing some tomorrow, I ran out of time tonight.  Will post when they are done.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited June 2017

I had a chance to try out Single Homes Bundle One from Dreamland Models which contains three houses. I'll be reviewing them on my big city thread but thought I'd show an Iray night render of the first house. These new products were designed for Daz Studio and Iray, so for some they may be easier to use than the Poser products Dreamland originally released here at Daz. Based on my initial render, I'm impressed with the quality. The products also contain a lot of nice features (Iray materials, props, and presets to turn design features on/off).

I'll also note the van in the driveway is a Poser model from Vanishing Point that was recently introduced in the store.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2017

So... I evidently have a lot of 3D Universe characters, as I ended up with an organge banner for the bundle that I haven't seen mentioned - but I bet a lot of us aren't talking about it even though we got it. 

​The thing is, even with the banner, with the discount applied, this new character, in the promo, I thought it was Tamara... both have a promo shot with the hair almost gray and nearly the same expression on their face. I bought Tamara because I got the entire bundle really cheap. With Amber... I just don't see enough difference to justify the extra expense, although it looks like Amber has a larger closet of clothes in her bundle. 

​I do like the Dreamland homes currently on sale - and I think as a bonus they fit either East Coast Victorian *or* Pacific Northwest Victorian neighborhood scene setting, which makes them more region-flexible than most of the "neighborhood building" props available for DAZ.

​The render above makes them even more attractive. I just wish the were a little more pedestrian and less affluent... What we really need is Western Suburban Master Planned Stucco Subdivision homes, yards and streets. Something that could be anywhere from Northern California to the Phoenix valley.  

TamaraAndAmber.jpg
    1212 x 912 - 167K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I mean, it isn't just me, is it? Tamara and Amber aren't sisters... they're the same girl a few years apart in age? 

They sure look a lot alike, that's for sure. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,252
    edited June 2017

I wanted to mention my fondness for the new Fred Winkler elf guy Galan (I remember fondly getting FW Darc)... I used the eyebrow from the Fred Winkler egyptian guy, Tchanun....

Galan1.jpeg
    1484 x 1255 - 773K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    nemesis10 said:

I wanted to mention my fondness for the new Fred Winkler elf guy Galan (I remember fondly getting FW Darc)... I used the eyebrow from the Fred Winkler egyptian guy, Tchanun....

That's nice!!!!

edited June 2017

Quick and dirty render of the female Creech using the green skin.  There are a ton of options with both the male and the female, you can use the fins, and all of the morphs independantly, so if you just want fins or to change the hands or whatever, you can do that and have the rest of the character be normal.

CREECH FEMALE.png
    1236 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I bought Fantasy Castle Keep 2 and loaded the full set up to have a look. WOW! It's the first object ever to max out my 16 GB of ram with nothing else in the scene and made the laptop completely unusable. I deleted it from the scene and, when I checked the ram, it was still showing 10 GB used. I loaded a small item and checked the images and every image file for the castle was still loaded. I had to load a New blank scene to release the memory. I will still use it but at a bit at a time as it is modular :)

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

I mean, it isn't just me, is it? Tamara and Amber aren't sisters... they're the same girl a few years apart in age? 

I'd say they look enough alike to be sisters, but they definitely don't look identical. There are several, albeit subtle, differences in the shapes of their faces, particularly the eyes,noses, and jaw lines that can't really be chalked up to a difference in age. 

Fishtales said:

I bought Fantasy Castle Keep 2 and loaded the full set up to have a look. WOW! It's the first object ever to max out my 16 GB of ram with nothing else in the scene and made the laptop completely unusable.

Good to know!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited June 2017

Here's another Iray render of Single Home 01 showing some of the presets in use. You can use the presets to show/hide bands (horizontal trim between floors), corner trim, turret trim, dental blocks (square decorations at roof level), house lamps, power lines from house to poles, antennas, and smoke. There are 30 roof colors and 50 base colors to choose from. You can change the walls from various types of siding (4, 6, or 8 inch clapboard, asbestos tile, fish scale tile, and 8 inch shakes) to brick (new, old, painted) or plaster. There's 3 types of fences (wood privacy, wood lattice, and concrete pillars with metal posts). The presets have a large pop-up image in the Content Library so you can easily see what the preset is going to do. There are many, many options to modify the design. This is a great product for the price in my opinion.

As donovancolbert said, these are large homes for wealthy people. Some of Dreamland City Blocks (at Rendo) have smaller Victorian homes. Here's an Iray render of two smaller houses from City Block 14 using the native Poser materials that came with that set:

With some work, you can apply the Iray shaders that come with the Single Homes to replace the Poser materials. Here's the same two houses with Iray shaders/materials copied from the Single Home set: 

(click on images for larger versions)

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118

Those look great.

This discussion has been closed.