Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I said similar...because it was the only one I could think of that may have some recognition...it is a Marschner based one, too...highly modified.

Just had a look at the Stuart Little hair shader (haven't had a look at it for a long time). It seems to be basically the old Kajiya-kay hair model with a few changes, which are as far as I can see are… It uses two specular highlights, each highlight overlap at the same places and can have the widths (roughness) and intensity independently altered. Also there some functionality to isolated where alone the hair the specular highlight can illuminate.

A simpler example of the Kajiya-kay model can be found in the PRMan App notes I seem to remember.

So the Marschner model's primary illumination comes from three components, two reflecting highlights and a backlighting. Unlike the two specular highlights the Stuart little shader these highlights can be in addition moved up and down the hair for a more realistic result but also more importantly have more complex and accurate reflectance model which differs in each highlight. The Marschner also offer the ability to add 'sparkly' bits in the highlight for increased realism.

So the Marschner model is what you would get in most professional off the shelf hair software. But they have been various improvements but mostly using the Marschner as a base or starting point in high end production.

Anyway in the scale of things the Garibaldi Shader is a good professional production quality for long and short hair.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2013

Spyro said:
    May I ask what hair width you used for the roots and tips? Your hair seems to blend really well with the character's surface. Also, what hair count did you use?
    Main Hair layer = 240, Base Width = 0.007, Tip Width = 0.002, Opacity = 0.65, Shadow Opacity = 0.65
    Fiuff Hair layer 1 = 10, Base Width = 0.007, Tip Width = 0.007, Opacity = 0.65, Shadow Opacity = 0.65
    Fiuff Hair layer 2 = 15, Base Width = 0.007, Tip Width = 0.002, Opacity = 0.65, Shadow Opacity = 0.65
    At the back of head (under the covered area) the hair density is mostly masked out black.
    Lighting is nothing but a few simple spot lights with deep shadows.

Spyro said:
    ... the reset button under the re-sample slider seems to only reset some curves not all. Not sure why. (I think I altered the distribution map and then tried to reset curves)

So the reset button should only affect the selected curves (or every curve if nothing is selected)?

I cant get a crash log... But I'm getting lots of freezing when creating and using curve selections. It's done so six times in a row, each time I've had to restart daz :(

Is this the same selection issue you were having before (selecting curves without 'Mask Hidden by Surface' turned on)?

Thanks so much for the tips on the hair, thats very interesting, I havent lowered the hair width so much like that. I shall give it a go next :cheese:

With the freezing issue I've had, No I havent been using 'Mask Hidden by Surface' unchecked. I was working on a long hairstyle, and altered the distribution map, then when creating curve selections to style the newly added curves, it kept freezing on me. All I could do was close GH&Daz;, in which it wouldn't give me a crash log.

It's similar to the freezing I had when I tried to use 'Mask Hidden by Surface' unchecked in GH10.

EDIT: I think it may have something to do with "Show all meshes" checked. Because it's long hair, show all meshes was ideal.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Hey everyone, awesome renders and styles! My ancient laptop is getting more and more compatible with each new version of Garibaldi, (yeah!), but I'm having trouble achieving the textures that Futrebiscuit and Spyro get in their renders. What am I missing? Even when I use one of Futurebiscuit's presets, as soon as I change the style and modify in the clump and tweak sections, in the render, the hair looks painted on. Sadly, I don't have Uber Surface Hair shaders, but, if there's anything else I can use, I'd mucho appreciate the input.....

Hi Stevie, I'm a little confused with what textures your referring to... Do you mean distribution maps? Basically I painted it up in the paint tab, then exported the texture to a unique folder I made for it, then modified the textures in Photoshop. For example, I made myself a Male hair distribution map, which I import for my M5 males (In paint tab) then work from that imported texture instead of having to completely re-paint it all over again. Both Import and Export are options in the paint tab.

By the looks of FB's recent render, I'd say he's using colour maps. Same thing there, import a diffuse texture or make your coloured texture then import it to the paint tab. Except, when importing change gray scale to colour (It's a drop down in the import window.)

When organizing your GH textures, do not rename the textures, it must be named the same as your export. ie, "1_SkinFace.png" It MUST also be in PNG format. As such, due to the naming constraint, each texture set must also have its own unique folder.

Hope that helps :)

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    StevieC said:
    Hey everyone, awesome renders and styles! My ancient laptop is getting more and more compatible with each new version of Garibaldi, (yeah!), but I'm having trouble achieving the textures that Futrebiscuit and Spyro get in their renders. What am I missing? Even when I use one of Futurebiscuit's presets, as soon as I change the style and modify in the clump and tweak sections, in the render, the hair looks painted on. Sadly, I don't have Uber Surface Hair shaders, but, if there's anything else I can use, I'd mucho appreciate the input.....

Hi Stevie, I'm a little confused with what textures your referring to... Do you mean distribution maps? Basically I painted it up in the paint tab, then exported the texture to a unique folder I made for it, then modified the textures in Photoshop. For example, I made myself a Male hair distribution map, which I import for my M5 males (In paint tab) then work from that imported texture instead of having to completely re-paint it all over again. Both Import and Export are options in the paint tab.

By the looks of FB's recent render, I'd say he's using colour maps. Same thing there, import a diffuse texture or make your coloured texture then import it to the paint tab. Except, when importing change gray scale to colour (It's a drop down in the import window.)

When organizing your GH textures, do not rename the textures, it must be named the same as your export. ie, "1_SkinFace.png" It MUST also be in PNG format. As such, due to the naming constraint, each texture set must also have its own unique folder.

Hope that helps :)

I think I understand....Thank you very much!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, some progress on the 'explosion' problem...yes, it's a WINE only bug (but not really bug, so much as I'm in serious need of an update)...and it's got everything to do with a little used OpenGL feature, that in order to get WINE to include, when building on my machine would require a full update of X...so, as long as I can work with hair and get it to render correctly, I can live with it, until the system core upgrade, I'm doing this spring, which will include the most recent kernel and X updates.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Moved thread to new commercial forum.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

where's that at ?

edited December 1969

Thank you so much Richard! :) Theres so much learning and discussion in here. I'm so glad it was possible to bring it back. Thanks :)

• edited December 1969

Spyro said:

Thank you so much Richard! :) Theres so much learning and discussion in here. I'm so glad it was possible to bring it back. Thanks :)

Ditto. Thanks Richard.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Hair today, gone tomorrow? Or rather gone yesterday, hair today ;)
    Nice to see the thread back

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Thank goodness they put this back. What a mess. I'm going to copy the thread to my computer in case they change their minds. Finally got a chance to play a bit - here's my latest try

garabaldi_test13a.jpg
    958 x 838 - 252K
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So...what does this program do?

Is it something to help you make your own hair for the Gen model?

Any limits to it? Could I tie a style in a knot (yes, I have a character that ties his hair back in a knot, not hair tie)? Bang? Sideburns?

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

The Garibaldi home page has some videos that illustrate what it does.

But the short answer to all of your questions is yes :) I think it's still in open beta so you can try it for free.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    The Garibaldi home page has some videos that illustrate what it does.

But the short answer to all of your questions is yes :) I think it's still in open beta so you can try it for free.

Sadly, my tower can't handle daz...I'm just looking around to make my life easier with characters and animation in the future.
    edited December 1969

This thing also make eyebrows?

That would be helpful

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

this looks amazing!

edited December 1969

I've been busy most of the day but I've been monitoring the situation and have been in contact with Daz 3D.
    I don't think there is anything to worry about. Hopefully things are going to move forward in a posstive way for everyone.

Just a quick update:
    The main focus of the Garibaldi Express Project will soon be shifting to documenting functionality and updating the website to better reflect the current status of Garibaldi. The goal being to make sure everyone can get the full potential of Garibaldi Express.

Here is sneak peak of the largely requested support for older Intel Integrated graphics in the next beta, I managed to get performance to a quite usable extent in the end….

untitled3.jpg
    978 x 830 - 468K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Hooray - it is back!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

This thing also make eyebrows?

That would be helpful

It makes hair where you want hair to be.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I am pleased to see this thread come back as it has some great info that I really must harvest in case it is removed again without notice.... and also because I wont be spending much time in these forums in future.

It is good to hear that the plug-in is moving into that critical stage just before release and I am looking forward to its arrival.

@Vata Raven, This Daz Studio plug-in is easy to use and allows you to create very realistic hair in ways that until recently have not been possible in Daz Studio. I love using it and I am sure once you start you will be finding it handles a lot of your hair and fur requirements. (even eyebrows - knots may be tricky but I am sure with some work and ingenuity they could be achieved.)

I would encourage you to view the videos as has been suggested and to browse through the entirety of this thread to see some of the work people have posted and also to get a gauge for how quickly and easily people have been producing very realistic and very usable results.

Good luck to all my fellow GH Beta testers... I hope to see evidence of your GH creations in art all over the net soon :D

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

It's very nice to see this thread restored!

edited December 1969

Download links of the new Garibaldi Express Beta 14 has been emailed to testers.

I've included a tweaked version on the old simple blonde hair example as a simple wearable DAZ asset.
    Here is a example render of it:

blondTextured22Comp01.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 384K
    edited December 1969

Download links of the new Garibaldi Express Beta 14 has been emailed to testers.

I've included a tweaked version on the old simple blonde hair example as a simple wearable DAZ asset.
    Here is a example render of it:

Excellent! Can't wait to get home and try it! One question....can wearable assets be exported back into Garibaldi and re-edited? If so, then they can also can be exported as an .obj, I assume...?

edited December 1969

StevieC said:

Excellent! Can't wait to get home and try it! One question....can wearable assets be exported back into Garibaldi and re-edited? If so, then they can also can be exported as an .obj, I assume...?

Yes.
    Think it's been mentioned here before somewhere... If you create a wearable directly from your Garibaldi Nodes then when loaded they're copied into your scene (what I've done here). Alternatively you can can create a props of your Garibaldi nodes and make a wearable of them which will cause the Garibaldi Nodes to be referenced when added to your scene which means any changes to the Garibaldi nodes style settings will not be saved but keeps file sizes down.
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:

Yes.
    Think it's been mentioned here before somewhere... If you create a wearable directly from your Garibaldi Nodes then when loaded they're copied into your scene (what I've done here). Alternatively you can can create a props of your Garibaldi nodes and make a wearable of them which will cause the Garibaldi Nodes to be referenced when added to your scene which means any changes to the Garibaldi nodes style settings will not be saved but keeps file sizes down.

Thank you very much for that! Will try after I get home and get a few hours sleep after my shift!

• flyashyflyashy Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

Hi,
    Thanks for this brilliant plugin.
    I'm just trying it out and seems to be great.
    I was wondering how do we report bugs?
    I couldn't find any link on gribaldiexpress site.

EDIT: oh don't bother. I found the link for bugs. Cheers!
    thanks.
    flyashy

Post edited by flyashy on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited December 1969

I've installed the beta, watched the video and played with the sample hair. Wow - this is excellent stuff.

Apologies if the question has been asked before, but how do I get the hair to render in Reality / Lux?

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    I've installed the beta, watched the video and played with the sample hair. Wow - this is excellent stuff.

Apologies if the question has been asked before, but how do I get the hair to render in Reality / Lux?

This hair uses Renderman curves and can't be rendered directly in Lux as it requires the Renderman engine. There is an option to export the hair to an obj which can be used in Lux but you will have to set up your own shaders for the hair.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited February 2013

Ok, thanks Gone. I'll look for the export option.

EDIT: Nope, somebody's going to have to explain to me how to do this. I couldn't find any "export" option in the Garibaldi UI, and exporting to OBJ from Studio (with the Garibaldi hair selected), the reimporting, merely imported a null.

Is there any documentation describing how to export OBJ?

Thanks

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    EDIT: Nope, somebody's going to have to explain to me how to do this. I couldn't find any "export" option in the Garibaldi UI, and exporting to OBJ from Studio (with the Garibaldi hair selected), the reimporting, merely imported a null.

It's in the file menu of the Garibaldi Editor window.
    It will export the hair currently visible in the Garibaldi editor window. So it is recommended you switch to the tweak workspace during export.
    To quickly edit the export hair amount you can use the preview amount percentage.
    I would warn people who want to use this feature that it may create very large files and handling these files may be slow and use large amounts of Memory.

It's not something I've personally experimented with to any great extent. This feature was only added due to popular demand.

This discussion has been closed.