Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited May 2017

Okay I seriously started laughing when I ran across this.  This is like the second render I ever did, about 10 days after I joined.  Oh my gosh is it bad!!!   I just have to say thank you to everyone who has helped along the way to get to where I am now.  I still have a long way to go but its a fun reminder of how far I've come as well.  Sometimes, its really hard to see any progress in the day to day of things.  I think I might have made a wee bit of progress since then.

Pirate Girl on Beach with Dragon Companion Postwork.jpg
    548 x 388 - 195K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Goodness, I am glad I peeked through your thread, you have  lot of talent! I am simply blown away by your works.

Goodness, I am glad I peeked through your thread, you have  lot of talent! I am simply blown away by your works.

Thank you very much!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Yeah, that's a good one, Sonja!  You have certainly come a long way!

dracorn said:

Yeah, that's a good one, Sonja!  You have certainly come a long way!

Thankfully!  I really did (and still do) get so much help and support from all you guys, its really made a difference in what I've been able to accomplish in the last 18 months.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Very brave of you showing that off!  You have definitely improved.  You've come such a long way since that first render.  :)

Very brave of you showing that off!  You have definitely improved.  You've come such a long way since that first render.  :)

I almost didn't but I figured if anyone new comes along they can see what a difference just a little bit of time can make when learning this program.  And I literally start giggling when I look at it, its just....soooo bad.

I'm not sure if I'm that brave.  My first image was SO much worse than that!  :)

I'm not sure if I'm that brave.  My first image was SO much worse than that!  :)

In all fairness this was my third, not my first lol.  Pretty sure the first two have been destroyed, they were worse than this one too lol.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

My first images had a plain colored background, because they were done on a poor old computer with 4 GB Ram and a 500 MB something video card.  I remember one image I did of a face, and she litterally had nothing else on outside the view of the camera because if I added one more thing it would crash! 

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

You could use a vignette to make him stand out more from his background. Nik color has a setting, I think it's called darken/lighten center that works well. In portrait photography we vignette about 90% of our images. :) 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,647

You sure have come a long way as have I cause we started right around the same I think Sonja.

I think I am gonna try to find one of my first renders and post it on my thread for compairison might be fun to see just how far I have come over the past couple of years.

You could use a vignette to make him stand out more from his background. Nik color has a setting, I think it's called darken/lighten center that works well. In portrait photography we vignette about 90% of our images. :) 

I think the Nik filters allow you to apply it to just a specific part of the piece as well if I remember correctly.  Going to have to give that a try thanks!

You sure have come a long way as have I cause we started right around the same I think Sonja.

I think I am gonna try to find one of my first renders and post it on my thread for compairison might be fun to see just how far I have come over the past couple of years.

I think you are right, I started in September of 2015 so just 4 months shy of 2 years.  I would love to see the comparison as well.  I think its fun and I think it can encourage people who are just starting, that it really is possible to learn this program and do some stuff with it.  If I can learn it anyone can lol.

edited May 2017

Somebody had asked how Xurge3d clothing for v3 and v4 converted to the higher generations.

This is V3 Dragon Princess auto fitted to genesis (pink hair) saved as a Figure/Prop asset then moved to Gen2F.  The transfer utility did not work as well moving the top to G2F but it autofitted beautifully.  The pants were done with the transfer utility.

V3 CLOTHING CONVERSION DRAGON PRINCESS.png
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    edited May 2017

Lazy Afternoon -  Wanted to try out the VWD Cloth plug in again.  Check out the hair and dress.  Looks way better once I used the plug in.  I still have a ton of stuff to learn about this, but I can tell its going to be a very large part of my workflow from now on. I also used @KindredArts GhostLight set to light this.  I have it on good authority that an expansion is coming very very soon.  You can check out the thread HERE.  Its got some super cool stuff in it, the multi colored cave render I did a couple pages back was lit entirely by the expansion pack.

LAZY AFTERNOON.png
    2400 x 1920 - 7M
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

Lazy Afternoon -  Wanted to try out the VWD Cloth plug in again.  Check out the hair and dress.  Looks way better once I used the plug in.  I still have a ton of stuff to learn about this, but I can tell its going to be a very large part of my workflow from now on. I also used @KindredArts GhostLight set to light this.  I have it on good authority that an expansion is coming very very soon.  You can check out the thread HERE.  Its got some super cool stuff in it, the multi colored cave render I did a couple pages back was lit entirely by the expansion pack.

This is really cool lighting. I like using the Ghost Lights. But, have added different types of lights for different things. And, they are very easy and

cool to use. 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I almost didn't but I figured if anyone new comes along they can see what a difference just a little bit of time can make when learning this program.  And I literally start giggling when I look at it, its just....soooo bad.

Tme learning any program can make a huge difference... not so for the occasional user.  While I kind of chuckled... I could also see your stamp on the scene. :)  BTW:  I've designed some art in PSP and other apps... also rendered many which I didn't even bother to save... still I probably have some kicking around thinking they were ok.

Looks good.  The drape of the dress is very realistic.   I especially like how the bottom of the dress looks.

cismic said:

This is really cool lighting. I like using the Ghost Lights. But, have added different types of lights for different things. And, they are very easy and

cool to use. 

Thank you!  I use all kinds of stuff as well but the Ghost Lights are high on my go to list.  All I did was add two of the ghost lights, hit the colors and intensity I wanted and I was done.  No other lighting inside the tent except for some very week light from the candles.  If I would have thought of it I would have made them a bit more emmissive as well just to brighten them up a bit.

wgdjohn said:

Tme learning any program can make a huge difference... not so for the occasional user.  While I kind of chuckled... I could also see your stamp on the scene. :)  BTW:  I've designed some art in PSP and other apps... also rendered many which I didn't even bother to save... still I probably have some kicking around thinking they were ok.

You should post them.  I love looking back and seeing what people were doing at the beginning and then seeing where they are now.  Its always amazing to me to see the progression.

And I don't mind your chuckling, I laugh every time I look at it lol.  And thank you its nice to know some of me can be seen in my work, I think that's something we all strive for.

I've found that the stuff that I learn in Daz, transfers over to some stuff in Carrara and Bryce as well as the other direction, learning one program is helping me to better understand and get a grasp a bit quicker on other programs.  For instance, what I've learned in Bryce has carried over to the terrain editor in Carrara, in the sense that the controls, and how it works is very similar, so I had less to wrestle with (by just a little bit lol) when I started Carrara.  Figuring out modelling in Carrara, which is far more intuitive to me than Blender ever was, nonetheless made Blender easier to use because, it still follows the same principles.  And learning how the shaders work in Carrara has also helped me figure out the shader bricks not only in Daz Studio but in Filter Forge as well.  I could go on but, I think you get the picture lol.

Looks good.  The drape of the dress is very realistic.   I especially like how the bottom of the dress looks.

Thank you!  Still LOTS to learn on this one but wow, its a pretty powerful thing to be able to drape items like this.

dracorn said:

My first images had a plain colored background, because they were done on a poor old computer with 4 GB Ram and a 500 MB something video card.  I remember one image I did of a face, and she litterally had nothing else on outside the view of the camera because if I added one more thing it would crash! 

My first Amiga, a 500, had 512k Ram and internal graphics via a graphic chip on motherboard.  You were much luckier than I... but that's been awhile ago.

Lazy Afternoon -  Wanted to try out the VWD Cloth plug in again.  Check out the hair and dress.  Looks way better once I used the plug in.  I still have a ton of stuff to learn about this, but I can tell its going to be a very large part of my workflow from now on.  [cut]

Even though Carrara users can design Dynamic Hair and there are many of those available from PhilW and others... They are excited about VWD also since it will let them use their conforming clothes and hair content purchased.  The plug-ins for Studio and Carrara also show promise in animation.

BTW:  Just remembered my first ever image, done with my Amiga 500,... I created an image of Rosebud General Store and Restaurant, my father owned.  Even though a few drawing tools were used I ended up creating too much of it pixel by pixel... the image size was around 400x320.  Later I graduated to faster larger Amiga computers maxed out a 10mb ram with graphics card supporting 24bit colors and excellent graphics programs. I still have a few close by today since I can do things with Amiga programs which PSP will not do.

wgdjohn said:

Lazy Afternoon -  Wanted to try out the VWD Cloth plug in again.  Check out the hair and dress.  Looks way better once I used the plug in.  I still have a ton of stuff to learn about this, but I can tell its going to be a very large part of my workflow from now on.  [cut]

Even though Carrara users can design Dynamic Hair and there are many of those available from PhilW and others... They are excited about VWD also since it will let them use their conforming clothes and hair content purchased.  The plug-ins for Studio and Carrara also show promise in animation.

BTW:  Just remembered my first ever image, done with my Amiga 500,... I created an image of Rosebud General Store and Restaurant, my father owned.  Even though a few drawing tools were used I ended up creating too much of it pixel by pixel... the image size was around 400x320.  Later I graduated to faster larger Amiga computers maxed out a 10mb ram with graphics card supporting 24bit colors and excellent graphics programs. I still have a few close by today since I can do things with Amiga programs which PSP will not

I'm still excited about learning the Dynamic Hair in Carrara. The more in house I can do the better lol.

I'm not sure I have even heard of Amiga computers lol.  I had no idea 3dart existed until I found Daz Studio.

edited May 2017

Ahmad by @DarwinsMishap and Harry the Hivewire as a Unicorn. I think they look good together!  I may run this one through some filters just for fun. Click for full size

TRUE LOVE.png
    1186 x 1186 - 2M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038

That would work with a pastel or chalk filter.

Fishtales said:

That would work with a pastel or chalk filter.

That's a great idea, I will give that a try thanks!

I'm off to go get ready for my daughter's graduation.  I'm so incredibly proud of her, she has overcome some major obstacles to get here.  So I'll be out until later this afternoon.

edited May 2017
    wgdjohn said:

BTW:  Just remembered my first ever image, done with my Amiga 500,... I created an image of Rosebud General Store and Restaurant, my father owned.  Even though a few drawing tools were used I ended up creating too much of it pixel by pixel... the image size was around 400x320.  Later I graduated to faster larger Amiga computers maxed out a 10mb ram with graphics card supporting 24bit colors and excellent graphics programs. I still have a few close by today since I can do things with Amiga programs which PSP will not

I'm still excited about learning the Dynamic Hair in Carrara. The more in house I can do the better lol.

I'm not sure I have even heard of Amiga computers lol.  I had no idea 3dart existed until I found Daz Studio.

I misspoke above - "They are excited about VWD also since it will let them use their conforming clothes and hair content purchased" ... "it will them use" should read "it will allow them to drape and animate"... I buy and use DAZ content in Carrara

Check out these links for Amiga and my first 3D program.  I didn't yet find a video which was "no nonsense" and not long.

• History of the Amiga - from Wilipedia...  skip down to 2nd section "Commodore"... Amiga 500 pic is shown in 2nd pic below... most notable is the Amiga supported True Multitasking, Not software based, as well as 4096 colors for images... in my tiny little machine.  Note that PhilW, GKDantas and other CarrarArtists used and an Amiga... as well as Dick Van Dyke and... the list goes on and on. lol
    • 1994 Impulse Imagine 3D Animation Siggraph Demo - a video of the capabilities for my 1st 3D program... this also had "bones" to animate and pose a character.

I like the image of the horse and man... except for the skin... what look are you going for... alien?

BTW:  The link for DarwinsMishaps goes no where.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

The unicorn render would make a great fantasy poster. Love the silvery white/purple colors. If I didn't know Ahmad has purplish skin I might have thought his coloring is due to the evening light. Great render. 

"I like the image of the horse and man... except for the skin... what look are you going for... alien?

BTW:  The link for DarwinsMishaps goes no where."

Ya he is a Djinn or Genie, not human.

The link just tags him so he knows I am talking about him lol.  He will get a message saying someone posted

Ahmad by @DarwinsMishaps and Harry the Hivewire as a Unicorn. I think they look good together!  I may run this one through some filters just for fun. Click for full size

Nice image.  I love unicorns and djins seem to go with them very well.  Uh, you acidentally added an 's' on the end of DM's name which is why @wdgjohn said it goes nowhere.  There is no user by that name and goes to an oops! page.  You just need to drop the 's' from the end of his name in your post.

This discussion has been closed.