Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited May 2017

I've added my text file to aid in voting to the Voting thread this time instead of the WIP thread... since I got it finished before any votes were placed.  You can find it HERE in Carrara Challenge #32 The Only Come Out At Night - Entries Closed, VOTING NOW OPEN.  I do hope that UB doesn't mind.

I'm going to relax a bit and then look again at all the great entries.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249

I wasn't able to submit anything... but last night's Rock N' Roll party was a real blast!

This month my Daughter #2 (of 3) is getting married, so next one might be rough to try and get in as well. One of these times....

Anyway, I'd just like to congratulate everyone for the great entires! Rock on and may the Force be With You!

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200

Thanks all for the kind words, after a long talk with UB I got missing Carrara a lot... maybe with initiatives like this one we can touch DAZ3D team to tell us about the future of Carrara, even an old piece it still brilliant in many ways. Thanks all for the support those years, and good luck to all

yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Wondeful stuff, Dart.  All my best to you and yours.

This month my Daughter #2 (of 3) is getting married,...

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835
    wgdjohn said:
    Stezza said:

Boulder Dash!

cool

You have certainly confused me.  I am a big Amiga Geek. laugh

you never played it on the Amiga!... wow
    I had an Amstrad cool

edited May 2017

That explains it then... only played a handful or two of games... they were too addictive... had to learn something that might be took up less of my time so got into Art, CAD, DTP, DBase, 3D, Video, HTML, program scripts... when many of the script programs support disappeared replaced them by learning ARexx script programming then dabbling in C/C++.

[eit]  My loss... should have learned to abait my fun gaming habit and only play occasioally.

edited May 2017

Uncle Humerus Tells Us A Bedtime Story

The inspiration for this was Creepy magazine from back in the late 60's and early 70's.  Done in a magazine format (to get around the Comics Code Authority), it was illustrated in black and white, and featured a who's-who of artists from that era - Steve Ditko (Spiderman), Frank Frazetta, Alex Toth, and Neal Adams (Batman) to name a few.

I used Anything Glows and Aura for the light globes.  Carrara fire for the candle light. The scene was composited on a plane, with the UH character posed in the foreground.  The wicker chair is a Carrara object.

No postwork.

This is the photorealistic version.  I'll post an NPR version later.

Important note:  No skeletons were harmed in the making of this image!

Just following the link from the Entry post, to this WIP, the included Car scene screenshot doesn't show how the reader in the circle was separated out without the use of post work. The entry post does say No Postwork, but the WIP doesn't explain or show it. Just saying. 

In a "No Postwork" challenge situation, compositing over a backdrop of a render is, or is not considered postwork? 

Anyway, with the addition of the skeleton reader somehow composited into the image, I'd prefer (as someone voting) to see this clarified better in the WIP links provided in the entry because, to me, that looks like postwork.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Wow. There are some KILLER renders in this! Gonna take some time to pick the final four for the vote!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2017

Just following the link from the Entry post, to this WIP, the included Car scene screenshot doesn't show how the reader in the circle was separated out without the use of post work. The entry post does say No Postwork, but the WIP doesn't explain or show it. Just saying. 

Sorry Dart.  I probably shouldn't have used the word "composited."  It was all done inside Carrara.  I rendered the background scene in Carrara, and loaded it on to a plane.  I then posed the UH character, chair, etc., in front of the plane, and rendered it again.  The cool thing is, at that stage it is a very low impact scene, and renders very quickly, even with the most extreme high end render settings.

I would post a pic right now of the plane and the UH character sitting in front of it, but my computer power supply died this morning, and I am working from a backup.  But I will post it this week if there are still questions.

In the NPR render I did, it actually was heavily composited, but in the Carrara shader room.

Hope that was clearer!  I really do appreciate you voicing your concerns.

to me, that looks like postwork.

I'll take that as a compliment! smiley  The "ring" around the character which makes it look inset is just two spheres, one red (outer) and one black (inner), and the black one has Carrara natural functions>fire applied in the texture room.

One last note (I promise).  I could have loaded everything into one scene, but I already had 21 skeletons, 4 other critters and the architecture to deal with.  The system was slowing down, so I split it up.  Splitting it also gave me more freedom to tweak the UH character under a light load.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Diomede said:
    I rendered an NPR image of the vertex modeled "swinging star" text  [edit WGD] I then inserted text with a fancy font for the date/location type stuff.  I rendered this third using the toon III pro filter.
    Stezza said:
    TITLE - Going Nuts

Ted and Dave,   How did you two get the text to look so good?  I notice in Swinging Star that when magnified there are lines within each text character.  I see they look very solid in Going Nuts.  Quite effective and yet confusinig in both images that were entered.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

UnifiedBrain  Thank you for working with Marcelo to compile all the info on Page 11  !!   And thank you for all your fresh and on-the-spot enthusiasm that goes along with mining and finding stuff I need to know... it's great.  Am snowed under this month, but have some things I am working on. Keep on keeping on!!!  angel

That goes for all you veteran, or not so veteran-Carrarians... I love coming here just to read the uplifting posts even if I am not working on anything!  The ideas and suggestions do not go un-noticed! laugh

yesheart Silene

@wgdjohn - the main text for my dance poster image was done in the vertex modeler ("Swining in...").  For each letter, I used the polyline tool (curved) to write in a cursive style.  I had to make a few adjustments, for example if the line crossed itself as in "g."  I then duplicated the polyline and lofted to get the letter in two dimensions, and added thickness to get the third dimension.  Most of the other text started as simple text objects from the top menu, not vertex objects.  In some cases I converted to the vertex modeler for further editing.  Convert from text object to vertex object using the EDIT menu in the Assemble room.  Thanks for the kind words.

ff01 swining text modeler.JPG
    1791 x 944 - 156K

Kewl, Thanks for the explanation. I just came up with something quick but using Path Sweep with a very tiny circle and a hand drawn S, using Curve. Not too bad... needs tinier circle.  Can't remember how Loft works at the moment... will have to go to my Modeling Thread where I'm likely to find it... there is always The Manual, YouTube and past Carrara Challenges...  I really should have left a 3rd additional empty page at the start to create a Table of Contents... ahh just realized I can create the index anywhere and have a BACK button to return to index... silly me. :)

edited May 2017

First, it is good to remember that this sort of thing can often be done more easily in the spline modeler. 

But I did the vertex polyline in case I wanted to edit changes to the letters later.  Here is a W.  Within the vertex modeler, click to use the TOP camera view.  C;lick the polyline tool and choose the curve from the drop down menu.  Click the end points for a W.  (Sorry, hard to see the screenshot on the forum).  Hit enter to accept.  Click the camera view and change to Directors camera view.   Select the polyline and duplicate.  Move the duplicate up (z axis). Select both polylines and use CONSTRUCT : LOFT.  The polygons will fill in.  I then add thickness with a very very low number and adjust the result as desired.  Add smoothing if desired and apply a texture. 

kk01 draw a W in top camera view.JPG
    1879 x 970 - 132K
    kk20 duplicate and move vertical in director camera.JPG
    1780 x 823 - 127K
    kk30 select both and construct loft.JPG
    1134 x 825 - 75K
    kk40 add thickness small number.JPG
    1081 x 818 - 72K
    kk50 apply smoothing and texture.JPG
    1526 x 899 - 126K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    SileneUK said:

UnifiedBrain  Thank you for working with Marcelo to compile all the info on Page 11  !!   And thank you for all your fresh and on-the-spot enthusiasm that goes along with mining and finding stuff I need to know... it's great.  Am snowed under this month, but have some things I am working on. Keep on keeping on!!!  angel

Thank you, Silene!  You are very kind, as usual.  For me, this has been a great learning experience - as much about meeting established Carrara artists and learning the history of the Challenge, as it has been about learning new techniques in Carrara.

SileneUK said:

That goes for all you veteran, or not so veteran-Carrarians... I love coming here just to read the uplifting posts even if I am not working on anything!  The ideas and suggestions do not go un-noticed! laugh

yesheart Silene

yesyes

Thanks again Ted,  I just did it then found that I'd been using Ruled surface before so compared the two... except for the latter leaving the paths behind the result appears to be the same.  I'll have to link this discussion to my Modeling thread.  Yes... spline editor would be a lot easier... however I'm now wondering if I could instead use TypeTool3 which has perhaps easier, for me, handles... never tried an open ended single line font before but I could just design it to be very thin.  Uuuuu....  I can import .ai or.eps into Spline modeler... cool.

edited May 2017
    wgdjohn said:
    Diomede said:
    I rendered an NPR image of the vertex modeled "swinging star" text  [edit WGD] I then inserted text with a fancy font for the date/location type stuff.  I rendered this third using the toon III pro filter.
    Stezza said:
    TITLE - Going Nuts

Ted and Dave,   How did you two get the text to look so good?  I notice in Swinging Star that when magnified there are lines within each text character.  I see they look very solid in Going Nuts.  Quite effective and yet confusinig in both images that were entered.

@wgdjohn that is my handwriting done pre-work in PSE then in the shader room a glow channel is added to boost it.

You can also get pretty good text in Carrara by converting the text to a vertex model and crank up the smoothing on it

The text below is pretty much flattened and then duplicated and one is pushed back a bit and moved to the left or right in the modelling room and new textures applied.

Post edited by Stezza on

Thanks, your handwriting is very nice... flamboyant like your humor. :) 

thanks, the missus makes me write out all the birthday & Christmas cards each year as well... it has its down side lol

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I wasn't able to submit anything... but last night's Rock N' Roll party was a real blast!

This month my Daughter #2 (of 3) is getting married, so next one might be rough to try and get in as well. One of these times....

Anyway, I'd just like to congratulate everyone for the great entires! Rock on and may the Force be With You!

Congratulations - I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time!

edited May 2017

I missed out entering in March when my son got married...

here is a short snippet of his wedding day.. and my new DiL angel

Good luck @dartanbeck

Post edited by Stezza on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2017

Thanks Antara. I have been contemplating this for a couple years, but never got around to trying it until now. I have been considering seeing how it would animate...

I also must have posted the larger size render in the wrong thread. This is what rendered last night. I coud add morphs to the vertex object to move it, but actually a rig may be more flexible... Also, there are no shaders because it uses the fire primitive and some spot lights. The trick to animating the borealis is not only the movement of the wave ribbon, but also the movement of the fire primitive. I think that given time, it could work.

Sorry I am only on page 4 of the WIPs... is your northern lights rig available to download by any chance, as Antara asked... please pretty please?  It's stunning!!!  yesangelheart Silene

Stezza.... great looking family! Congrats.  heartYou changed your name, too (Misty as well) I get confused easily.  devil Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

I missed out entering in March when my son got married...

here is a short snippet of his wedding day.. and my new DiL angel

Good luck @dartanbeck

Thanks!

Wow! They're both adorable! Your son has a very good Australian accent - he could even pass as an Australian! ;)

Oh Cool... That was you I just saw dancing wasn't it?!!! Awesome! 

PhilW said:

Congratulations - I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time!

Thanks! You know how these things are... the wedding is next week, yet it feels like it's been going on for months already! LOL yes Much fun though!

I want an Australian Accent. Where do I get one of those?

edited May 2017

We kid because we love.

Aussie of the day.

I want an Australian Accent. Where do I get one of those?

Post edited by Diomede on

And we Americans need more explanation

LOL!!!

edited May 2017

Study ... Practice... Get ya learn on mate!  Or you could go on vacation. Hmm would't that be a walkabout??

It's coming

SOON!