Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

My first attempt with the new Skinbuilder for G3F.  I used Sim Teneros Randomizer for the character and the skin builder for the skin.  I can't say enough good things about this product (actually, both products).  It exceeded my expectations and they were already high given my experience with the version for Genesis and Gen2F.  Sadly, I did not read the manual before making this skin so didn't save it.  I did save the character so hopefully the skin is intact.

Wosers! Very nice indeed! Great lighting too.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks!  Great tools certainly help lol

Okay, so its working much better on my laptop now that I've sorted which folders in my somewhat convoluted external drive everything needed to go into lol.  Simulates fine, drapes fine, imports the drape onto the figure fine and then when I exit, Studio crashes lol.  I am going to try not exiting and rendering it out and saving before I exit.

edited May 2017

Quick simple hair drape with the vwd Cloth and Hair Plug in.  I'm totally sold. I'm sure I've got a lot to learn and it doesn't work on some things (if the item hogs too much memory it will error out with an insufficient memory error, although I am sure there are ways to bring that down, I just haven't had time to explore ). Dont mind the graininess I didn't let it finish.

Look at the way the hair strand drapes around her cheek!  This is a total game changer.

VWD TEST HAIR.png
    1236 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Looks interesting, I have exactly one item that is supposed to work dynamic which I have tried around with a lot befor it went halfways where I wanted it, when I later tried to replicate I started out with zero again. got me frustrated enought to not get anything  dynamic for a while. Half of the time the stupid thing just fell through the objects it was supposed to land on, the other half it hit one or two items and then nothing else or it went all the wrogn way.

Linwelly said:

Looks interesting, I have exactly one item that is supposed to work dynamic which I have tried around with a lot befor it went halfways where I wanted it, when I later tried to replicate I started out with zero again. got me frustrated enought to not get anything  dynamic for a while. Half of the time the stupid thing just fell through the objects it was supposed to land on, the other half it hit one or two items and then nothing else or it went all the wrogn way.

This one looks like it will take a bit of learning but straight out of the box, its doing pretty well.  The potential is very high that this is going to be an integral part of my work flow.  I do need to learn what all the buttons do and how to do the more complicated stuff but for simple draping right now, with no fiddling, its pretty impressive already.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Looks pretty good for a first effort.  I haven't tried doing a hair yet.  I just finished posting my render with the dress I draped.  I'm fairly happy with it.  You're right, though, it will take a little bit of experimentation to use it really well.

It was a super simple hair as I nailed most of it down lol.  But its those little things that really add to the realism.

• My first attempt with the new Skinbuilder for G3F.  I used Sim Teneros Randomizer for the character and the skin builder for the skin.  I can't say enough good things about this product (actually, both products).  It exceeded my expectations and they were already high given my experience with the version for Genesis and Gen2F.  Sadly, I did not read the manual before making this skin so didn't save it.  I did save the character so hopefully the skin is intact.

Very nice. So how do you get lighting like this? I've tried to do it but it seems like no matter what I do to the lights, I can't seem to dimish the lights. Maybe the other day when I tried, it was because I started with a light set that I thought would give me what I was looking for. The icon looked like it was what I wanted, but it came out too light. So then I deleted the light and added a spot light of my own. But nothing I did to the light seemed to dimish the light. I'm wondering if the light set maybe changed some other render settings that I wasn't aware of and maybe that's why the changes to the spot light weren't having any effect.

KevinH said:

My first attempt with the new Skinbuilder for G3F.  I used Sim Teneros Randomizer for the character and the skin builder for the skin.  I can't say enough good things about this product (actually, both products).  It exceeded my expectations and they were already high given my experience with the version for Genesis and Gen2F.  Sadly, I did not read the manual before making this skin so didn't save it.  I did save the character so hopefully the skin is intact.

Very nice. So how do you get lighting like this? I've tried to do it but it seems like no matter what I do to the lights, I can't seem to dimish the lights. Maybe the other day when I tried, it was because I started with a light set that I thought would give me what I was looking for. The icon looked like it was what I wanted, but it came out too light. So then I deleted the light and added a spot light of my own. But nothing I did to the light seemed to dimish the light. I'm wondering if the light set maybe changed some other render settings that I wasn't aware of and maybe that's why the changes to the spot light weren't having any effect.

@KevinH I used the BOSS Portrait light set from PA_ThePhilosopher (I think it was the bold full body preset) and whatever light is coming from KindredArts Space HDRI.  Double check and make sure that your headlamp for the camera is off.  It took me like a year to remember to check that lol.  I finally set up a scene with a default camera with the headlamp off and saved it as the scene Studio opens when I first fire it up.  Then I dont have to remember. 

I suck at lighting my own scenes, and I don't particularly LIKE to mess with lighting so I have a lot of light sets.  I use almost all of them but my go to's at the moment are the BOSS Portrait light set (Iray) Kindred Arts Ghost Light Set (Iray)  Marshians Reflective Radiance (3delight) Painter Lights (these work in both) and a set of Fantasy Lights I got somewhere else.  I also really like Hi-Key studio by Colm Jackson for really bright white portraits. 

edited May 2017

Another VWD test, using the Josephine dress by Jan19.  As you can see, the cloth is draping much more naturally.  I can say that my only regret in purchasing this product is that I didn't do it sooner. Don't mind the graininess, I only let it go to 11%

vwd Test long dress.png
    1236 x 2000 - 5M
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

I've had VWD on my wishlist for a while....I may have to break down and get it.

Me too and this is the best price i've seen in a year of waiting lol.

I need a save all to wishlist button.  Those new dinosaurs look awesome!  No money in the budget for those at the moment though.  But I really really want them lol.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

some really outstanding renders there Sonja wow!!

I really like the new skins that you are using makes the charactor realloy pop out of the image!!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I missed this one - been busy.

I absolutely LOVE the lighting.  I'm such a sucker for dramatic lighting. Nice blue and orange complementary colors too.

Another VWD test, using the Josephine dress by Jan19.  As you can see, the cloth is draping much more naturally.  I can say that my only regret in purchasing this product is that I didn't do it sooner. Don't mind the graininess, I only let it go to 11%

I'll probably kick myself for not getting it, but I don't have the funds right now.

Thank you Saphirewild!  And thank you Dracorn, I can't really take that much credit for the lighting as its the BOSS portrait lights and whatever light is coming from KindredArts Space HDRI.  The only reason I squeezed out the funds from my budget on that plug in is because I have been waiting for close to a year for it do drop to something I could pay.  It means passing on those gorgeous dinosaurs and the poke through items today.  So, I will be wishlisting a lot in the coming days lol.

It means passing on those gorgeous dinosaurs and the poke through items today.  So, I will be wishlisting a lot in the coming days lol.

Yep, tell me about it.  I would love to try the VWD, but no funds at this time.  I have a couple of bucks, though, and have been eyeing the Hivewire Colt, but we'll see.

edited May 2017

Just playing a bit.  Still working on my Genesis to Genesis 2 Female clothing conversions and had a quick play with the Costume Jewelry shaders.  Which are really pretty amazing. Totally changed the look and really helped to update the metals etc on the jewelry part of this set.  I also used the scene optimizer (hint for those of you who haven't read the directions,  run the script, save the scene, close out studio and restart it, load the saved scene.  It works much better when you do it right lol).  Cut the render time in half and allowed me to watch videos while I was waiting.  I've never been able to do that on my laptop.

ROYAL ELF OUTFIT TEST.png
    1236 x 2000 - 5M
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

I also used the scene optimizer (hint for those of you who haven't read the directions,  run the script, save the scene, close out studio and restart it, load the saved scene.  It works much better when you do it right lol).  Cut the render time in half and allowed me to watch videos while I was waiting.  I've never been able to do that on my laptop.

Now your just adding things to my wish list laugh

I also used the scene optimizer (hint for those of you who haven't read the directions,  run the script, save the scene, close out studio and restart it, load the saved scene.  It works much better when you do it right lol).  Cut the render time in half and allowed me to watch videos while I was waiting.  I've never been able to do that on my laptop.

Now your just adding things to my wish list laugh

Happy to help lolol!

edited May 2017

The Marsh Ruins. a quick test to see what it looks like in Iray.

Kabaka Centaur with DestinysGarden Iray mats for the centaur part.  And the Muelsfell Atlantis Armor which is phenomenal. It has a lot of morphs which make it a real pleasure to work with.

Very cool indeed!  Wonder what he's thinking?

Just noticed the reptile critter at the bottom left - he blends in so well it's hard to see him.

Ya its a conundrum, a lot of animals have good camouflage which is realistic, and then there is the whole, you can't really see them thing lol.  I should go in and lighten him up a bit.  Might do it in post at some point.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

Or maybe you could find some way to draw the eye to him.  As it is the centaur is looking away from him more toward the dragonflys.

Really frustrated right now.  I loaded the beta build on my laptop because it says it will run side by side.  Was working fine, although I'm not sure if it was supposed to pick up everything from my 4.8 version that's on the laptop.  All of a sudden as of yesterday, most of the links to my custom categories don't work.  It looks like its still linked, the words turn white indicating its linked but there isn't aything there.  Even redoing the links, it doesn't stick.  I have no idea why all of a sudden this would happen. Things are missing in both builds but when I put them back in 4.8 they stick, and when I do it in the beta build, they do not.  Its totally useless to me to run the beta if I can't use my categories, its far too time consuming to try and find my content without them.  There is just too much of it.  I'm just....pissed.  There is no reason for them to just stop working, I haven't done anything new.

• Thanks for the information about my earlier question @ice dragon art. I have the BOSS lights. I tried a portrait today and I chose one of the dramatic lights, but it didn't come out as dramatic as I had hoped. But maybe I just didn't chose the right ones. I'll have to try some of the others.

If you used one of the full body ones, did you then crop your image to just have the upper body? Or did you zoom the camera in? And you didn't adjust the light settings at all? Just one of the presets gave you that dramatic light?

@KevinH

Here is what I did. - I built the character, skin, dress hair etc first (that just happens to be my usual workflow),  The character was not moved from where it loads natively which is dead center in Daz world lol.  I then dropped the HDRI Space Alien Planet Blue into the scene.  I didn't do anything to it, no rotation, no fiddling at all.  After that I loaded step one in the Boss Light Set and closed the eye on everything I didn't need which is all of the props basically.  Then I went to Step 2 on the Boss lights and chose the full body preset

BOSS PLS 5-FL-DT-D.DSA which is the second to last one in the list - full length LT dramatic.  Make sure your headlamp on the camera is turned off!  And that's it.

This discussion has been closed.