Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Great conversion, love the pose too & the way the skirt flares a bit, like she just spun around and went into a fighting stance  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Thank you! I was particularly pleased with the skirt flair as well. I will most likely take this one into photoshop and work on it a bit more.
    edited June 2017

Treasure Hunter

Jack of Hearts converted to G2F - One of DM's sets Courage Realm - Nightfever Hair - Dial spun face

The first one is the base render

The second one is postworked

TREASURE HUNTER.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    TREASURE HUNTER POST.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Treasure Hunter looks good!!! I like both versions.

Thank you!  I didn't do a huge amount just tried to brighten and darken some spots to make it pop a little more.

edited May 2017

In progress character.  Not sure about the hair, mostly the color right now.  Too late to mess with it anymore tonight.  Sim Tenero's randomizer and the skin builder 3.

NILUCK.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Treasure Hunter is awesome, I like both of them too. Perfect background and pose also. 

The new character is coming our interesting although I agree a different hair color might be better. It might just be me but I think mid tone to darker range of hair colors comes out more realistic looking then the lighter colored hair colors.....

Ya I'm torn between a red, a black/brown or a darker or lighter green.  Although green feels kind of like overkill on that color.  Sometimes the white works really well for a striking contrast but the more I look at it the more I think I need to change it.

And thank you!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I like treasure hunter a lot, both versions.  I do wonder what it might look like if you layered the darker one over the lighter one, and dropped the upper one's opacity some (to 75% or so?).

The character you created using sim tenero looks very interesting.  It makes me want to know her backstory.

I like treasure hunter a lot, both versions.  I do wonder what it might look like if you layered the darker one over the lighter one, and dropped the upper one's opacity some (to 75% or so?).

The character you created using sim tenero looks very interesting.  It makes me want to know her backstory.

Thanks!  She actually will have a back story, and a future story lol.  I like her enough that I am adding her to the characters in my world building project.  I can't call it a book yet but eventually lol!

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited May 2017

Treasure Hunter

Jack of Hearts converted to G2F - One of DM's sets - Nightfever Hair - Dial spun face

If I could add my tuppence worth, joining in at this stage in your thread - Treasure Hunter a very nice portrait, the pose is crafted well with the character and composition. However, I find her expression a bit blank and rigid. I think you could improve it a lot by giving her a more subtle expression, especially in the eyes. I don't know enough about the figure you're using to render, but I'm assuming it is possible to change. She appears to be gazing at something in the distance, but not with much interest.

Sorry if that assumption is wrong, I've been experimenting mainly with the Gen 3 figure, which has a lot of morphs available for expressions and subtle adjustments for the face. Haven't really tried much with the Gen 2 figure. I find that even just adding a slight squint, a slightly droopy eyelid on one side, lifting one eyebrow slightly, moving the eyes off-centre, or even a tiny head tilt reduces the symmetry of the figure's default expression and helps convey personality and emotion. The changes only need to be subtle, even imperceptible, for the overall effect to work.

Post edited by Shortcut on
    edited May 2017
    Shortcut said:

Treasure Hunter

Jack of Hearts converted to G2F - One of DM's sets - Nightfever Hair - Dial spun face

If I could add my tuppence worth, joining in at this stage in your thread - Treasure Hunter a very nice portrait, the pose is crafted well with the character and composition. However, I find her expression a bit blank and rigid. I think you could improve it a lot by giving her a more subtle expression, especially in the eyes. I don't know enough about the figure you're using to render, but I'm assuming it is possible to change. She appears to be gazing at something in the distance, but not with much interest.

Sorry if that assumption is wrong, I've been experimenting mainly with the Gen 3 figure, which has a lot of morphs available for expressions and subtle adjustments for the face. Haven't really tried much with the Gen 2 figure. I find that even just adding a slight squint, a slightly droopy eyelid on one side, lifting one eyebrow slightly, moving the eyes off-centre, or even a tiny head tilt reduces the assymtery of the figure's default expression and helps convey personality and emotion. The changes only need to be subtle, even imperceptible, for the overall effect to work.

I always appreciate feedback. Don 't ever hesitate to give it.  Its one of the reasons I have this thread.  I had tried various expression and honestly, the smile looked gruesome on her for some reason. I did narrow the eyes a bit but her eyes are larger than normal so maybe it didn't translate as it should have.  Might go back and revisit it and give her a bit of a head tilt.

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited May 2017
    Shortcut said:

Treasure Hunter

Sorry if that assumption is wrong, I've been experimenting mainly with the Gen 3 figure, which has a lot of morphs available for expressions and subtle adjustments for the face. Haven't really tried much with the Gen 2 figure. I find that even just adding a slight squint, a slightly droopy eyelid on one side, lifting one eyebrow slightly, moving the eyes off-centre, or even a tiny head tilt reduces the assymtery of the figure's default expression and helps convey personality and emotion. The changes only need to be subtle, even imperceptible, for the overall effect to work.

I always appreciate feedback. Don 't ever hesitate to give it.  Its one of the reasons I have this thread.  I had tried various expression and honestly, the smile looked gruesome on her for some reason. I did narrow the eyes a bit but her eyes are larger than normal so maybe it didn't translate as it should have.  Might go back and revisit it and give her a bit of a head tilt.

That should have read reduces the 'symmetry' - it's asymmetry that you want. The expression morphs tend to generally be over the top I find, but by dialing them in very low you can change the expression just enough to remove the robotic look the figure's have on their faces by default. Smiles are not easy to convey convincingly! I can't recall, but the human face uses an incredible number of different muscles just to smile, and not all smiles are the same! A google search for portraits brings up plenty of faces to study for the sheer variety of emotions the human face can convey. Head tilt, forward or back or to the side, even just slightly and combined with a change in position of the eyes can create a completely different mood.

Post edited by Shortcut on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Nice work on the treasure hunter, found that today in the gallery, I like the postworked version better as it has the character is having a bit more attention there. Giving expression is difficult as the presets often look strange to me and I tend to be overcautious with dialing them in by myself. The thing is that in reals life people rarely run around with really clear expressions btu it seems that for the transportation in the different mediums it must be stronger to be seen by most people. I also found that people have diffrérences in perceiving expression, probably similar to one person hearing really good and another less.

I like your take on the skin so far, it looks interesting but not overdone, waiting for the final render there!

A little bit more work on this character. Well apparently I am not loading any renders tonight.  Too late to stay up and keep trying.

edited May 2017

zzzzzz......Oh there we go lol. File size may have been a wee bit big at 4000.  If you want to see it at the full 4000 its at my Deviant Art account in my signature.

NILUK GREEN resized.png
    2040 x 2040 - 7M

Need to work on her hair, either smoothing or photoshop the last 4 inches in the front, and I may change the antlers to a more woody look.  But so far, I like her.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Just popping in.  I'm finally getting all caught up with my favorite people.  I loved the treasure hunter, too.  Some of these models just look horrible with expressions.  It is kind of disheartening to work on a pose and scene and everything is just perfect, but you wish you could work on that expression.  Been there, done that which is why a lot of my characters look depressed!  Even with the expression you had, it was still a really great piece.  I love what you've been doing lately.

Thank you KM!

ARGHHHH!  I'me trying to get the VWD Dynamic Cloth Plug In working.  I'm guessing part of my problem is that I have all of my content on an external drive and the main program files on the C drive as from what I have heard, the plug ins and utilities should stay on the main drive.  I can get it up and running, but the second I hit the button for it to drape it crashes and says its missing something.  So I'm trying to figure out which program files need to go where in my particular case.  Shouldn't be that darn hard honestly but I can tell,even without it working quite right that this is going to be freaking fantastic. I followed the directions on installing it from SY's tutorial (and watched several videos) but I'm getting an import object box pulling up when I go to load the dress as cloth.  Which doesn't show in any of the videos...

Yeah, I'm getting that box, too.  I just clicked accept both times and everything seemed to work fine.  The script was apparently updated back in February and some things changed.  That was probably one of them.

So its crashing and saying its not connected anymore.  then is says can't find variable vwd pluginsupportlib.  And then it pops up a file HiLoDress object does not exist.

The script for VWD needs to go in the Runtime folder.  Just put the Python folder from the zipfile in the Runtime.  For the bridge, the plugin for whichever version of windows you are using needs to go in the Program file where the DAZ folder is in the plugins folder.  Then, the scripts folder in the Bridge zipfile needs to go in the scripts folder in the My DAZ Library folder with your other scripts.

When the popups come up about the .obj not being there, just hit accept for each window that pops up.

Well, I'm making progress. It works now but I cannot for the life of me get the top straps nailed down so the dress doesn't blow away. I highlight the straps in red, click on nail vertices.  I get a pop up box that says vertices on the collision object should be selected as well.  But it won't let me select them, only the dress.  I can see this is going to take some work lol.

Hmm, strange. I didn't have that popup.  Did you select the figure first and set that as the collision before working on the dress?

Yes.  I kind of got it to work, it held at the straps until it was almost ready then all of a sudden it flew off into the unknown. Its getting late here though, I have to work all day tomorrow so I am going to give it one more go then will have to let it go until tomorrow.

Good luck.  I just read that you should be able to use this with Poser dynamic clothing inside DAZ studio.  I might give that a try tomorrow if my render finishes because I have a few pieces that I got as a freebie in the RDNA stuff that merged over.  

That would be cool I have a couple as well.

Well, I got it to work but now I'm getting a message saying it won't save the scene in Demo version. I didn't buy the demo version I bought the full version.  (and yes, I checked).  I am going to have to work on this tomorrow, I am too tired and too frustrated right now.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Before hitting "post comment," I read my post and realized I really only have one point.  Biscuit has a free set of tutorials at another site.  Although officially for Poser, the tutorials will apply equally to users of Studio and Carrara. 

Sorry you are frustratd but I hope you persevere.  IMHO, the program enhances the value of all the clothing-related and figure morph content sold in the Daz store.  I know that it has enabled me to buy items designed for shapes/figures that I don't own.  Its tools will give you many more options (or ease of exection) for your art.

I'm no expert on VWD but I use it often and I think the following is true.  It should work "natively" with Poser, meaning without an additional plugin.  The plugins for Daz Studio and Carrara pass the meshes to the program and then pass the result back - they don't have much impact on the drape within VWD..  So, the actual manipulation of parameters within VWD should be the same no matter which program you are using.  There is a set of free tutorials by Biscuit at that other site.  The Biscuit tutorials should still apply for someone using Studio.  I have been hesitant to do a screenshot tutorial in my "no one asked me" thread for fear of the deletion monster. 

Once you get VWD working, it may radically improve the ease of using clothing designed for one figure on another - at least it does in Carrara with its built-in modeling tools.  The bridge to Hexagon would hopefully do the same for Studio.  I predict that you will love it when you get it up and running.

Thank you @Diomede.  I am much to stubborn to give up lol.  It was late last night and migraine was coming back pretty good so I figured it was time to walk away.  I'm thinking what may have happened is the free demo at the other place has similar files and I'm wondering if maybe its confusing the two.  I didn't realize the demo was an actual working sim just not the full product.  So when I get home tonight I will uninstall all of the files related to both and then do a clean re install of the full version. Hopefully I can get it working on the laptop on my breaks at work.

This discussion has been closed.