Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    head wax said:
    The lighting is from caustic bouncing off the walls and floor (which have lots of reflection)  (but rendered with no reflection.)

How did you render with no reflection... just simply turn off Reflection at top in main settings?

BTW: Very good? looking effect and render.  yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited April 2017

head wax said:

well it's heart warming to see so much good stuff :)

I started Peter Pan the other day (listening to it)

So here's Peter and Wendy. Peter visited the Darling children at first only at night. " 'While she slept she had a dream. She dreamt that the Neverland had come too near and that a strange boy had broken through from it.'"

The lighting is from caustic bouncing off the walls and floor (which have lots of reflection)  (but rendered with no reflection.)

Peter is Fresnelled in his glow channel and the scene is rendered with aura to make his fresnel glow. No post work except the sig.

Another awesome image, love the textures.  Maybe too much light in the Peter character?

Something familiar about that background picture...:)

thanks :) Yes I over fresnelled him :) he is glowing through his clothed before the aura - not sure why as the fresnels is only applied to the Genesis 

Post edited by Headwax on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Here are some of the light settings for my northern lights scene. I used my own home brewed light dome with replicated distance lights. I used a moonlight, and I used a series of spotlights on the northern lights, with light cones. The main part of the lights are the fire primitive. To add some more randomness to the effect, I had two master fire primitives. As I discussed in a previous post, I replicated them on a curvy vertex object with no depth, just width and length. I then hid the object so only the fire and lights are visible.

The terrain is my own, and I used heavily modified Carrara trees, with my own bark texture. Most of the textures are procedural with the exception of the tree bark color and bump maps, and some for a grass texture, whose placement and blending is dictated by procedural functions like elevation and slope.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 9.03.20 PM.png
    2010 x 1394 - 201K
    Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 8.59.35 PM.png
    4026 x 1940 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 9.00.00 PM.png
    4016 x 1780 - 2M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

I'm not sure if I will have time to finish a second entry, but below is what I have so far.  Trying to model a relatively low-poly ninja so I can make a horde. I was inspired by someone's signature on another forum I frequent: "We forget today just how bad ninja related crime was back in the 1980's." laugh

I chopped the hands and face/eyes off of a figure made with Manuel Bastioni LAB for Blender, but everything else is made by me so far.

Ninja.jpg
    1000 x 1167 - 58K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    wgdjohn said:
    head wax said:

How did you render with no reflection... just simply turn off Reflection at top in main settings?

BTW: Very good? looking effect and render.  yes

Sorry, just saw this!  Yes you have it in one. It works very well for weird lighting . Just put lots of reflection on walls and ceiling etc, then render with caustics but no reflection. 

Ep thanks for the explanation,  nice  ninja Mark! 

Thanks Andrew,  You got me started on Caustics but I'd never tried it with Relections uncheck... gotta try that looks great.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

Wonderful work all around.  On the road with intermittant internet so little time to comment.  Here is my final poster for "Swinging in Starlight."  Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. 

I rendered an NPR image of the vertex modeled "swinging star" text, the 3duniverse toon dancers, singers, and musician, and the replicated stars with white outlines and black background (no diffuse or anything else).  I started a new scene of same dimensions and rendered a Toon III Pro with a gray vertex grid stretched where I wanted the highlight for the Starlight text.  I then started a new scene, inserted a plane.  The shader for the plane combines the NPR image and the toon highlight image.  I then inserted text with a fancy font for the date/location type stuff.  I rendered this third using the toon III pro filter.

tt01 swinging starlight assemble room.JPG
    1517 x 1023 - 179K
    tt02 texture room to get gray.JPG
    1690 x 844 - 138K
    entry swinging in starlight.jpg
    1305 x 1740 - 181K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2017

And here is an update of my fierce gunman.

rr01 gun try assemble room.JPG
    1474 x 975 - 167K
    Entry gun try 10 book cover.jpg
    1350 x 1800 - 230K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Diomede, they look great!  Good changes to the Starlight poster, and I love pulp covers. yes

BTW - we got a little messed up in the entry thread.  Can you change your entry numbers to 7 and 8?

Thanks!

Sorry - numbers changed.  blush

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Diomede said:

It was actually my mess-up - I numbered mine the same as evilproducer (in my defense, his was not showing up for me when I put mine in), so I had to change mine, which propagated down to you. blush

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    Varsel said:

Some changes .....

Dialed down the reflection on the UFO, and then added a faint glow with the help of Anything Goos and Fake Fresnel from DCG

And some tuning on the lightcones.

I'm glad you removed the tree... I was worried what would of happened to the abductee on her way up!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

@Diomede

Love the dance poster but what does 1st and J, SE mean?

totally lost frown 

MDO2010 said:
    Diomede said:

It was actually my mess-up - I numbered mine the same as evilproducer (in my defense, his was not showing up for me when I put mine in), so I had to change mine, which propagated down to you. blush

There is a reason my moniker is evilproducer! Bwahahahaa!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

And the all importent setup picture.

Thanks for all the nice words. It kept me warm this weekend, when I was working. You know our calender tells us that it is supposed to be spring, but someone (you know who you are..) has not checked that, so it has been snowing and freesing all weekend, making the roads an interesting place to be, when most people here in Norway has changed their tyres to summer-conditions.

I did some trials and adjustments to the light-cones, but I cant find any way to stop them from going past the girl. In my first picture they were just dim, and when I strenghten them for visibility, the problem got more visible.

setup01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

The setup for my Owls

The tree is a Carrara plant. Converted into a Vertex object and trimmed down, so I could place the owls in it.

Trying to get a Black and white picure wich had been coloured.

setup02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 873K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    Varsel said:

And the all importent setup picture.

Thanks for all the nice words. It kept me warm this weekend, when I was working. You know our calender tells us that it is supposed to be spring, but someone (you know who you are..) has not checked that, so it has been snowing and freesing all weekend, making the roads an interesting place to be, when most people here in Norway has changed their tyres to summer-conditions.

I did some trials and adjustments to the light-cones, but I cant find any way to stop them from going past the girl. In my first picture they were just dim, and when I strenghten them for visibility, the problem got more visible.

Did you enable shadows for the light cone?

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited April 2017

Updated my Darkside of the Earth entry based on comments.  Loving all the other entries!

Darksideofthe earth 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 79K
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

This is Jekyll.

The key light is a sphere with anything glows. No fill light. The purpose is to get a light to dark transition.

WIP_Jekyll1.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 243K
    WIP_Jekyll2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 357K

The background is a scene in the daytime.

The same scene at night too.

The purpose is to composite them latter.

WIP_day.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 248K
    WIP_night.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 278K

The scenes day and night were rendered separately.

To composite, I used a vertex object as a backdrop. The shader is a layer list where the opacity mask is a 2D Gradient (Veloute tools).

WIPfondo.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 230K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Vyusur said:

UnifiedBrain, I didn't drape this pants at all, I simply bought them. Among my recent entries the only thing that I modeled is Gothic Arch Gallery. The process of modeling is here:

That looks gorgeous - I love the look of fan vaulted ceilings like that.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Phil, thank you very much for the comment and for the right term that I didn't know.

edited April 2017
    pnewhook said:

Updated my Darkside of the Earth entry based on comments.  Loving all the other entries!

Not just a city's lights, but the whole Earth.  Awesome, pnewhook! 

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Alberto said:

This is Jekyll.

The key light is a sphere with anything glows. No fill light. The purpose is to get a light to dark transition.

Jekyll and Hyde!  A familiar "only comes out at night" that I completely overlooked.  Well done, Alberto!  I'm goimg to have to study your screen shots to see how you did the 50-50.

Alberto said:

This is Jekyll.

Jekyll and Hyde!  A familiar "only comes out at night" that I completely overlooked.  Well done, Alberto!  I'm goimg to have to study your screen shots to see how you did the 50-50.

Thank you, UnifiedBrain!

I did the same to Jekyll's skin. In the rendered image the effect is subtle, barely noticeable, except in the eyes.

WIP_Jekyllface1.png
    1440 x 900 - 467K
    WIP_Jekyllface3.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 272K
    WIP_Jekyllface2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 264K
    edited April 2017

@Stezza - thanks for the comment.  "1st and J, SE" is an address.  Except, it isn't.  The city is laid out in a standard grid of number streets and letter streets.  However, the letter streets skip J.  The blocks go ..., H, I, K, L,....  So, "1st and J" is fictional.  SE is a quadrant of the city (Southeast), because there are four intersections of 1st and J.  Well, there would be if the Js were not skipped.  Then again, the correct name of the city would be Washington, District of Columbia (DC), not Washington, District of Jay.  Hope that clears everything up.  wink

EDIT: similarly, to my knowledge, there is no organization with the website www.districtofjay.org.

Stezza said:

@Diomede

Love the dance poster but what does 1st and J, SE mean?

totally lost frown 

I am still in Texas with only occasional internet.  Following folks as best I can.  Keep up the great work, everyone. 

Can play with Carrara a little offline in the mornings.  I trashed my PR image and started over.  Same basic idea, but I created a new terrain, new road, etc.  I will be putting together a spooky building to put up on the hill.  I have done some screen shots of how I put the landscape together. I will post some when I get more internet time this weekend or early next week.

As always, suggestions welcome.

dark and stormy night test mob.jpg
    1740 x 1129 - 212K
    edited April 2017

@Alvin that's very creative and effective - good to see someone demsonstrating plugins in 'real' life

@Diomed - that looks spectacular! The haze and the glow in particular (how'd you do that?)

My c and c - those first two trees right foreground need something to anchore them to the ground  - like a ring of grass around them - also a shadow would help to miic the moonlight direction - i guess they could have a rim light too, at least on the trunks?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited April 2017

A little more detail to the nighttime campfire scene.  Added a little bit of sun glow from clouds on the horizon, and some trees.  Still need to fix the tent lighting and add some people silhouettes in there

Campfire at night 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by pnewhook on
    edited April 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Question:  The sometimes the Production Frame can be resized while too often it can't... why is this... something I did?  I tried with both lock aspect on and off with no change.

John, can't answer, as sometimes the same thing has happened to me.  My workaround has been to change the production frame size from the render room output tab.

Take a look at my question in main Carrara discussion.... Production Frame Locked - Can't resize it  I got quite a few good suggestions... Dartanbeck provided the answer that worked for me yesterday... it was as simple as checking "Show in 3D View" for the camera used to render.  Thought I'd let you know.

Post edited by wgdjohn on