Black Is Beautiful II

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798

Angelreaper- I love the sens of abandon. Simple fun loving ladies, at least in these current frames. The girl on the tale with the wine glasses reminds me of someone, maybe the woman from The Expanse? I forget her name but she's dating the lead guy, who's name I've also managed not to remember. Anyhow, nice work!

Timmins- Lovely image. You;re really quite good with all of this. I;m always impressed by what you do.

Karuki- PLEASE upload your images to the Daz3d galleries. A LOT of people observe the galleries here, and your work I suspect would generate a good deal of interest. Welcome aboard and best of luck.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Has anyone done anything with the Genesis 3DUniverse characters like Jasmine and Jason and Amy? I'm toying with some ideas with using them, but they all have just one skin, and I'd like to stick with the toon skin , rather than use like a Darious skin on them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Thank you, Rashad! I regard that as fine praise.

Here are another two, using the new Skin Builder 3. It's the same skin, but the first is just dial spinning, while the second is Monique 6 transferred to G3F via GenX2.

Among the reasons I like rendering people of color is that, first, there is something in me that can't abide following the trend. So I avoid the skinny white suspiciously young girls with big hooters thing that many people enjoy.

The other is that I like the challenge, because, again, a lot of the lighting and general workflow is skewed toward caucasians in various weird subtle ways.

Nala.png
    667 x 1080 - 679K
    Monique 67 Nala.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    Scavenger said:

Has anyone done anything with the Genesis 3DUniverse characters like Jasmine and Jason and Amy? I'm toying with some ideas with using them, but they all have just one skin, and I'd like to stick with the toon skin , rather than use like a Darious skin on them.

While I don't own the 3DUniverse figures, since these are Genesis 1 figures off the top of my head I would suggest either Virtual World's The Candy Factory or the original version of Skin Builder from Zev0. The latter is probably more useful due to the variance it can achieve.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    ZamuelNow said:
    Scavenger said:

While I don't own the 3DUniverse figures, since these are Genesis 1 figures off the top of my head I would suggest either Virtual World's The Candy Factory or the original version of Skin Builder from Zev0. The latter is probably more useful due to the variance it can achieve.

I've never really looked at Skin Builders...it builds off the original skin? (since I'd be wanting to keep with the toon-ness).  AND, I convert from genesis to Genesis 2 using Gen2X...so would I want the Genesis version, or the Gen2 version?

• thanks Rashad Carter I love that model in the last one from Saiyaness probably one of myfavorites all round actually she did a great job with her

edited April 2017

I've never really looked at Skin Builders...it builds off the original skin? (since I'd be wanting to keep with the toon-ness).  AND, I convert from genesis to Genesis 2 using Gen2X...so would I want the Genesis version, or the Gen2 version?

Skin Builder comes in the original Basic, the original Pro, and SB3. Skin Builder 3 requires Daz Studio 4.9.2.70 or higher to work and is meant for G3F so it won't work at all for what you're requesting. That would mean using the original which creates a V5 skin (Both Genesis and Genesis 2 can use the V5 UV).  Then it comes down to whether you would want the Basic or Pro version based on your needs.  Basic can create skin, brows, lashes, nails while Pro adds on tan lines, makeup, eyes, and genital hair.  Using a modified Hitomi here's a test I did a way back using Skin Builder:

From using it, the biggest weakness with Skin Builder is the loading time.  And once you've made a skin, that can be mitigated by copying the skin from the temp folder to a new location and using it directly instead of having it recalculate each time you load that character.

Post edited by ZamuelNow on

Yeah, I usually click on one of the skin maps to find the temp directory, and copy out one map of each zone from there.

If you use Anagenessis and like the results, it's even easier, since it only uses the diffuse color map.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

@Raschid Carter - I love your characters. They look really personable, make you want to get to know them.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I really appreciate the diversity I'm seeing in the 3d world. We all looks so different and we are all so beautiful, it's nice to see the new trends. I really wish I could support the new artists coming out, but the models and textures are so expensive now adays! Anyway, here is another V4 Marie

MarieRender.jpg
    1104 x 665 - 147K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    magnumdaz said:

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I really appreciate the diversity I'm seeing in the 3d world. We all looks so different and we are all so beautiful, it's nice to see the new trends. I really wish I could support the new artists coming out, but the models and textures are so expensive now adays! Anyway, here is another V4 Marie

Amazing as always!! You never stop striving for more excellence. She looks very natural in this light and her eyes are engaging. Could well be mistaken for a real phtograph. Great work.

Granville,

Nice to meet you and thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to seek to be more specific with expressions in future submissions.

Timmins,

Anagenesis seems to be a very clever solution to several vexing dilemmas all at once. Quite close to magic.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited May 2017
    Scavenger said:

Well if you have the Girl 7/Guy 7 Pro bundles Jax and Amaya are bordering on toon textures.

I was thinking of buying Star 2.0 for even more of a varied toon texture set for that reason.

Maybe 3DU will put out an set of texture and hair updates for 3DU TG2 and the rest? Or maybe as an add-on. He was very thorough with TG1.

Finally, if you buy Virtual World's Snowflake for Aiko 7, Aiko 7, and Kenji 7 and a couple of other toon characters in the Genesis 3 product line you can adjust the translucency color and the albedo/diffuse colors to create a rich pallete of many skin colors. Snowflake for Aiko 7 is the palest with the clearest skin so she takes those color changes best. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Here's my latest contribution. 

Genesis 1 with dial-spinning, rendered in 3DL with Reflective Radiance (figure only).  The remainder done in Photoshop - no postwork on the figure except some gleam highlights on the armor.

I'm rather proud of the fact that I got rid of the "boob armor" look.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2017

Lovely new girl over at Renderosity, 3DA Calixte by 3 DArena. Lovely dark skinned lady with beatiful makeup options both modern and tribal.

Calixte 1.png
    717 x 921 - 565K
    Calixte 3.png
    717 x 921 - 682K
    Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • duane_moodyduane_moody Posts: 130
    edited May 2017
    ZamuelNow said:

Skin Builder comes in the original Basic, the original Pro, and SB3. Skin Builder 3 requires Daz Studio 4.9.2.70 or higher to work and is meant for G3F so it won't work at all for what you're requesting. That would mean using the original which creates a V5 skin (Both Genesis and Genesis 2 can use the V5 UV).  Then it comes down to whether you would want the Basic or Pro version based on your needs.  Basic can create skin, brows, lashes, nails while Pro adds on tan lines, makeup, eyes, and genital hair.  Using a modified Hitomi here's a test I did a way back using Skin Builder:

Texture nitpick time: Stratum Lucidum. This is that layer of skin unique to palms and soles that protects the skin from constant wear and tear. It's thick and made of tightly-packed dead, oily cells. 

Normally melanocytes in the dermis manufacture little packets of melanin and send them happily traveling upward eventually coming to rest in front of the nucleus of the epidermis to protect the RNA from mutagenic solar UV rays by diffusing them into less harmful wavelengths of light. However the stratum lucidum is a physical barrier the melanosomes can't pass through, which is why palms and soles are never as dark as the topsides of hands and feet. It's not of uniform thickness, and is often thinner at the most frequently creased parts (e.g. the major lines of the palm) so you'll sometimes see darker skin coloration in those creases where the melanosomes got closer to the epidermis.

The other irony here is that dark skin makes for poor SSS shaders precisely because the corresponding real skin tone's pigmentation is literally scattering the wavelengths of light, except that it doesn't reflect back out the way it does for lighter-skinned people (providing that vaguely waxy light scattering). 

I should probably make corrective hand/foot shaders for textures like this that fade back the coloration to a pinker color but are translucent for the palm/sole lines.

Post edited by duane_moody on
  • JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661
    edited June 2017

This is my first Iray Portrait. Meet Roxanne.

Roxanne

Post edited by Chohole on

While I'm not surprised that the Victoria Pro Bundle lacks a black female again, I am surprised we actually did get a day one G8F black woman.  I guess that's a step forward.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2017
    ZamuelNow said:

While I'm not surprised that the Victoria Pro Bundle lacks a black female again, I am surprised we actually did get a day one G8F black woman.  I guess that's a step forward.

Well, it took two months last time before Kelly for V7 came out here, so that's progress of a sort. Adrienne G3F came out at Renderosity in between Victoria and Kelly. (And to be fair(ish), Michael 7 had not one but TWO day-of-release black men, with Dash in the pro bundle and Darren a PA product.)

By the by, Joana G8F has no makeup options. She's got a few lipstick options, but nothing more than that. Odd.

And, now, just for the heck of it, a bunch of people sitting around in a park. Featuring from left to right: B-Jay G2M (GenX to G3M), Miss-B G2F (to G3F), M3D Coen/Jalen shapes for G3M, Imari G3F, Adama G3M. It didn't actually turn out quite like I wanted, but it's not actively terrible, so.

Click here for a larger image at dA.

Friends

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited June 2017
    ZamuelNow said:

Well, it took two months last time before Kelly for V7 came out here, so that's progress of a sort. Adrienne G3F came out at Renderosity in between Victoria and Kelly. (And to be fair(ish), Michael 7 had not one but TWO day-of-release black men, with Dash in the pro bundle and Darren a PA product.)

Michael's sort of always been different. M5 also had a black man in the Pro bundle. I do feel this is important with the Vicky/Mike bundles because those are considered the main/default bundles to get.

Post edited by ZamuelNow on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    vwrangler said:
    ZamuelNow said:

By the by, Joana G8F has no makeup options. She's got a few lipstick options, but nothing more than that. Odd.

And, now, just for the heck of it, a bunch of people sitting around in a park. Featuring from left to right: B-Jay G2M (GenX to G3M), Miss-B G2F (to G3F), M3D Coen/Jalen shapes for G3M, Imari G3F, Adama G3M. It didn't actually turn out quite like I wanted, but it's not actively terrible, so.

Click here for a larger image at dA.

Friends

There's something about the composition of that image that makes me think of The Last Supper, for some reason!

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,453

This is my first Iray Portrait. Meet Roxanne.

Roxanne

Nice work!

G8F (Monique 6 -> G3F -> G8F, G3F nose morphs -> G8F), SB3 skin, Alfred eyebrows, Zahara hair, 'alley' environment, and some NIK filters.

One thing I love about Skin Builder (Pro or 3) is the ability to capture various ethnic looks without getting loads of figures.

Nala Waits.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 328K
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

I just started getting into Iray, but I'm still using V4, lol. I converted the Marie texture set to Iray manually using the Iray presets for another character as a base. This is really just a way for me to experiment with Iray without getting lost in the weeds!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/182831/using-v4-elite-skins-in-iray#latest

Marie-V4-BB-Iray-test005-XL-sm.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 973K
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited July 2017

Violet:Romance.  A portrait study. (image links to the larger version in my gallery)

Violet:Romance Iray2017

Post edited by AlexLO on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    AlexLO said:

Violet:Romance.  A portrait study. (image links to the larger version in my gallery)

Violet:Romance Iray2017

Fantastic render!

Michael 8 in there somewhere with a lot of sliders. Texture from Tyler M6, sent through map transfer to G2M, and then another program from elsewhere to get it to G3/G8 Base Male.

Click here to see larger and in more detail, along with explanation.

Jerome Tyler

Riza by Reciecup on both G8F and with Monique 7 on G3F. (Yes, that last one is supposed to say G3F, and not G37. I only just noticed that, weeks later. Eesh.)

Click here for (very slightly) larger image and detail of how it came to be, on dA.

Riza Riza

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Custom dialed Mike 8, Kimo 7 skin, darkened slightly.

Laurie

Michael-8-Custom.jpg
    1091 x 1200 - 348K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,647
    vwrangler said:

Michael 8 in there somewhere with a lot of sliders. Texture from Tyler M6, sent through map transfer to G2M, and then another program from elsewhere to get it to G3/G8 Base Male.

Click here to see larger and in more detail, along with explanation.

Jerome Tyler

WOW Great job with this charactor @vwrangler nice touch addng in M8

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,647
    vwrangler said:

Riza by Reciecup on both G8F and with Monique 7 on G3F. (Yes, that last one is supposed to say G3F, and not G37. I only just noticed that, weeks later. Eesh.)

Click here for (very slightly) larger image and detail of how it came to be, on dA.

Riza Riza

Nice exotic beauties there @vwrangler