Weight Map Symmetry is screwing up

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I'm rigging my figure. The geometry of the figure is perfectly symmetrical. The joints have all been mirrored. All the regions and face groups are symmetrical. When I weight map the left side and then apply symmetry to the right side, the weight map for lToe2 gets applied to rToe3 and lToe4 gets applied to rToe5 and rToe2 and rToe4 have no weights.

Any idea what's going on?

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited July 2014

These are the only joints that do this too by the way, the rest of the figure is fine. I've deleted and recreated the joints and the problem still happens. And I can manually fill 2 and 4 and it and then everything works fine.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited July 2014

Hmmm... It seems that sometime between the version of DS I used to make my Chibi figure and the current version a bug has been introduced into the symmetry weight map function.

Painting weights on the left side of a bone and then applying symmetry doesn't transfer those weights to the right, and now if I apply symmetry no matter what bone I'm working on it deletes the weight maps for toes 2 and 4 on both feet.

Oh wait. Is symmetry one of those things which don't show up until you save and reload the figure?

edited July 2014

Arrrgh!! Nope, even saving the figure doesn't apply the symmetry.

Here's a picture of what is happening. You can clearly see I have the symmetry on. I know for a fact my figure is 100% symmetrical, but painting weight maps only applies the paint to one half of the figure. This is frustrating me to tears.

I'm submitting a bug report because this is clearly borked.

wm_symm_no_go1.jpg
    818 x 558 - 71K
    edited December 1969

AH HA!!!!! I think I figured it out. Weight map symmetry is based on BONE symmetry and NOT GEOMETRY symmetry!!!

Somehow my spinal column got misaligned on the x axis by a few points. When I zeroed it the paint brush symmetry started working again.

However, I'm, still having the problem with lToe2 and lToe4 applying their weightmaps to rToe3 and rToe5 and deleting the weightmaps for rToe2 and rToe4.

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678
    edited December 1969

I have problem with this tool either :(
    I am working on G2F boots. I mirrored the right boot in Hexagon to make it a pair of boots. So it is symmetrical. I use G2F as source to make as asset. I used the included footwear template. So bones should symmetrical too. But never copy from right feet to left or from right toe to left :(

• OrionPax09OrionPax09 Posts: 419

I have problem with this tool either :(
    I am working on G2F boots. I mirrored the right boot in Hexagon to make it a pair of boots. So it is symmetrical. I use G2F as source to make as asset. I used the included footwear template. So bones should symmetrical too. But never copy from right feet to left or from right toe to left :(

This is exactly the same problem I'm having! Doesn't anybody have a solution?!

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

I'm bumping this thread because I'm having the exact same issue. When I use the mirror weight map function it copies a few weightmaps to the wrong bones.

Solution: rename the bones. Not the whole figure, just the problem bones.