JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I agree. Off to look up Scientific American. :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

LOL, I've actually used that explanation (in effect) in talks with nephews and niece trying to explain why time goes by at different rates as you age - I used 1 year at age 10 (being 10% of your entire life) against 1 year at age 50 (being 2%) as examples.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

Ah, that explains it!

Add into that a few bottles of whiskey and it explains it even more! ;)

edited December 1969

For those not on FB.. posted the a little teaser of the new set.. ;)

601293_493211100722612_1569112613_n.jpg
    861 x 321 - 69K
    edited December 1969

ooo you tease you....you can go off people you know! :)

Looks really nice so far...is that water? Looks good.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited January 2013

Ah, more of the Middle-Eastern world. Nice!

Post edited by JOdel on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I can't quite see what's being reflected in the water. Probably something that'll jump right into my "must buy" list, I just know it... :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Well, try not to jump to any conclusions.. I guess the problem with teasers is that can happen and maybe hype things up a bit much and ultimately cause disappointment when it's actually released.

But hey, I like it.., so hopefully others will too!

edited December 1969

I am sure we will Jack. :P

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I am sure we will Jack. :P

I take nothing for granted.. lol... :)

edited December 1969

Nope nor do I but the chances are we will. Just hope it is not another grave yard. LOL :P

edited December 1969

lol.. don't you like my graveyards? ;)

Hmm, now.. do I try and model in a graveyard just to cheer Szark up! .. :lol:

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

scared to think what outfits you have been modeling in graveyards that cheer up Szark

edited December 1969

...lol!

edited December 1969

Hmm, now.. do I try and model in a graveyard just to cheer Szark up! .. :lol:Snigger......No I just have an aversion to graveyards full stop..and zombies and Spam and Snow. :)

lol.. don't you like my graveyards? ;) Hmm, now.. do I try and model in a graveyard just to cheer Szark up! .. :lol:

scared to think what outfits you have been modeling in graveyards that cheer up SzarkSorry due to this being a family orientated forum I cannot divulge anymore information regarding any rumours about what Jack models in the graveyard. I have seen his outfit and it is not a pretty site I can tell you. ;)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Snigger......No I just have an aversion to graveyards full stop..and zombies and Spam and Snow. :)

Time to render some spam-eating Zombies on a snowy graveyard then....

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Oh god no! A zombie with a can of spam? Those tins are lethal weapons once they're opened! There will be no stopping the zombie apocalypse! Mankind is doomed!

edited December 1969

ROFLOL Ok I laughed out loud, but rolling on the floor...naaa

Yeah I forgot about the tins too........run away...run away... where's a holy hand grenade when you need one. ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013
    holyhandgrenade.jpg
    750 x 600 - 51K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

This thread cracks me up at times :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

For those not on FB.. posted the a little teaser of the new set.. ;)

Hmmmm, I see someone already guessed that's water, but I'm wondering if it's water or just highly polished/reflecteive ceramic tiles.

In either case, you've already got my interest. :-)

• edited December 1969

Hope you like it.
    I really like Jacks models, they have so much detail in them.

Jack01.jpg
    900 x 1000 - 370K
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    In either case, you've already got my interest. :-)

Glad to hear it ;)

edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Hope you like it.
    I really like Jacks models, they have so much detail in them.

Love it! really nice work there.. :)

Your name seems unfamiliar too.. so, welcome to the JAS :)

edited January 2013

Soo, as part of my attempted retraining to get the most out of Lux, I wanted something somewhat gloomy. Naturally the first thing that came to mind is Parkside. So I put Parkside Station to good use with the rundown carriage, put the LIE to work adding some details and came up with the following. Not sure if I've got the whole Reality light thing nailed down quite yet though, and I still have a hard time getting materials to behave, but it makes for an interesting experiment.

Parkside_web.jpg
    800 x 800 - 256K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Oooh, looks nice!

The only suggestion I would make is to knock the red down, if you're going for blood it's actually quite dark (though you did mention materials so if it's the blood you were referring too I apologise) ;)

edited December 1969

Yeah, the blood was one of the materials which I had problems with. You'll notice some of them darkened up quite nicely (the dust effects on the kid, for example), but I had troubles getting it to behave under Reality. It either came out black, or too bright, as shown. I'll probably have another play around with it though.

Reality continues to be one of the more difficult render engines I've worked with. Despite all the tips about "lighting it as I would a real world scene", the reality of it is that that doesn't always work very well, and anything with multiple light sources (such as a mobile phone screen or other glowing surfaces seems to result in a patchy mess which doesn't clear up even aftter 400+ samples. I've had some decent results with it before, but only ever with very simple scenes, and rarely ever using softboxes, which is ironically what was most recommended.

I've read countless tips on how to get various effects, but for some reason whenever I attempt something similar, it comes out odd. Softboxes especially seem very dark, and I have to really amp up the gain to get any results, but sadly the wrong kind of results. Still, no one ever said breaking out of my comfort zone would be easy.

I'll make some tweaks and see if I can improve it though. For my own sanity, if not for art's sake.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Regardless of the crimson blood, it's still a lovely render, as is bluemoon's above.

Always a pleasure to see such good imagery being created :)

edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:
    Regardless of the crimson blood, it's still a lovely render, as is bluemoon's above.

Always a pleasure to see such good imagery being created :)

Yes, I agree! :)

Re: the blood, nothing which we can't sort in Photoshop either!

edited December 1969

I have to admit. I did try to reduce it in Photoshop but due to the level of the saturation and how well integrated it is into the scene, I found it difficult to adjust without it looking ill-fitting with the rest of the image. I don't think my shop skills are quite up to the challenge at this point.

This discussion has been closed.