The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

I am sitting here watching each square render o_O. why do I do that..
    after the 50th render i think I got it the way I want it.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    My first try
    Used Enchanted Forest 2 I replaced the water with a Bryce water mat.

Rendered in Bryce 7 Pro with true ambience enabled, and a photofilter applied in postwork

Nicely done ma'am!! :-)
    edited December 1969

VANDIAS Base of operations

3D Programs Used: Daz Studio 4.5 for scene setup and Blender Cycles 2.6 for Rendering

Items Used: Urban Future 3, Quiet Streets, Sky Rider, and Sci-Fi Console

I have only started to learn Blender in the last month. This Contest gave me a great excuse to Learn it more.

StonemasonContestFinal.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2013

Render Title: Prepare the Time Probe

Cable Probe (Stonemason freebie)
    Daleks (Share CG freebie)
    Render: Bryce 7.1 Pro (Daz freebie)

Some people call me low maintenance, others call me cheap. :lol:

Time-Probe1Crop.jpg
    799 x 534 - 369K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • RNR_DV8RNR_DV8 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sunsets
    DS 4.5, Maya, PSE
    Treehouse

My first entry, rather simple but I thought it looked cool all by itself, as if it were long forgotten.

Great contest, lots of fantastic entries!

Treehouse.jpg
    1680 x 945 - 981K
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited February 2013

Title: evacuation order

Used:
    Planet Lava
    Mil Sub Dragon
    Carrara
    photoshop

ncamp

Lava_world_Dragon_3.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 435K
    Post edited by ncamp on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Feed-Live.... is that a dietary instruction?

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Not sure if it matters. I think it will eat anything.

ncamp

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

Render Title: Prepare the Time Probe

Cable Probe (Stonemason freebie)
    Daleks (Share CG freebie)
    Render: Bryce 7.1 Pro (Daz freebie)

Some people call me low maintenance, others call me cheap. :lol:

...nicely done.
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2013

Are non-entries welcome? This doesn't qualify because it's my latest PlatClub Inspirations entry, but I think it's clear what Stonemason's City Ruins Building 04 does for it. DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Princess, Warrior, Target.
    or: She Brought a Magic Sword to a Gun Fight

MagicSwordtoaGunFightB-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

First Entry

Title: Wee Hours (Fisheye).
    Stonemason Product: Urban Future 4.
    Other Products used:
    - 2 Viktoria 3 by DAZ 3D,
    - Euro 5 train from Google Warehouse,
    - Fisheye Lens for Bryce Camera (product is WIP).
    Software used: Bryce 7.1 Pro.
    Postwork: modest contrast adjustment in Photoshop.

Second image: NOT an entry - shows the place a few hours later on the upper floor.

ShuttleLines.jpg
    600 x 401 - 57K
    WeeHoursFE.jpg
    1083 x 1500 - 367K
  • SaikoMMSaikoMM Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

The Frontline
    Set up in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro. Rendered with Reality 2.5/Luxrender 1.0
    Post work in Photoshop CS5
    Stonemason products Used:
    City Ruins : Vehicles
    City Ruins Buildings 02
    M.E.C.H. Enforcer

Other iproducts: Skies of Economy, Genesis, Victoria 5, Elena converted with Genesis Generation X, Stalker Girl Pants, Boots and Guns, shirt from Tre, Jacket from Hardcore, Rifle from Complicated Eve, Googles from AMP C-Suit, Hovertank

Full sized image: http://saikomm.deviantart.com/#/d5svus8

guys just a quick reminder ...

“All entries must be new images—not previously available for public viewing—or will be disqualified. Public posting includes display on blogs, forum posts or any web page without restricted access. Entries may be posted publicly after the winner of the contest has been announced. “

that means, if i understand correctly that we cant post our images in deviantart or related sites….

im mentioning it cause i was about to make the same mistake
    Withdrawn, I misinterpreted the rule

Post edited by SaikoMM on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,086
    edited December 1969

I can't seem to stay subscribed to this thread. Or, rather, I'm not getting notifications.

On another issue, is there a way to open the forum images at full size with scrolling enabled? I'm using Firefox, and when I click on reduced size images, they open in another window. I can "plus" the images to actual size, but the window is frozen in place, no scrolling enabled, so I can't see the whole image unless I reduce it to screen size.

edited January 2013

when you open it full size use the up and down arrows to scroll

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

wwes said:
    I can't seem to stay subscribed to this thread. Or, rather, I'm not getting notifications.

On another issue, is there a way to open the forum images at full size with scrolling enabled? I'm using Firefox, and when I click on reduced size images, they open in another window. I can "plus" the images to actual size, but the window is frozen in place, no scrolling enabled, so I can't see the whole image unless I reduce it to screen size.

Image scroll bars, in Firefox:

Type about:config in the address bar.
    Click I’ll be careful
    Type dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars in the search bar (or as much as you need to show the option)
    right-click on it and select Toggle.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    wwes said:

Image scroll bars, in Firefox:

Type about:config in the address bar.
    Click I’ll be careful
    Type dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars in the search bar (or as much as you need to show the option)
    right-click on it and select Toggle.

Thanks. I'd forgotten how to get the configuration setting up & scrollbar tip works.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited January 2013

Just wanted to say "fantastic renders" everyone. Hopefully I'll have my first entry done today.

EDIT to add: Stephan will definitely have a hard time picking a winner.

:-)

Post edited by Muon Quark on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited January 2013

MotoTsume said:

a little girl in a ragged dress holding a beat up "beloved" stuffed animal amongst the city ruins scene

damn I wish I had thought of that :)

Feel free to use it if you would like, that was merely an example to illustrate the point I was trying to make. I'm doubtful I'll be entering as my computer's motherboard died on me after a day of heavy rendering. I'm only able to get online because my wife has allowed me to share her computer. I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford to fix mine? Likely not in time for this contest. Even if I did enter I doubt I'll do a city ruins scene. Besides I think I already own most of Stonemason's catalog already? :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

"All entries must be new images—not previously available for public viewing—or will be disqualified. Public posting includes display on blogs, forum posts or any web page without restricted access. Entries may be posted publicly after the winner of the contest has been announced. "

that means, if i understand correctly that we cant post our images in deviantart or related sites....

im mentioning it cause i was about to make the same mistake ;)

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited January 2013

All the entries look so fantastic! Thank-you Stonemason for holding this very generous contest:)

Title: Harsh Light
    Software: Daz 4.5 and GIMP 2
    Stonemason Product: City Ruins Bundle

Crystal_Ball.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 187K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

"All entries must be new images—not previously available for public viewing—or will be disqualified. Public posting includes display on blogs, forum posts or any web page without restricted access. Entries may be posted publicly after the winner of the contest has been announced. "

that means, if i understand correctly that we cant post our images in deviantart or related sites....

im mentioning it cause i was about to make the same mistake ;)

i never post my entries outside of a contest while the contest is going on, i consider it bad luck :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited February 2013

First entry
    17th Airborne division liberating Essen, April 1945

Stonemason:
    City Ruins 1, City Ruins 2, City Ruins 3, City Ruins 4 Rubble

Other:
    WarZone, BAT RMP, MORE Textures for German uniforms, R75 German Helmet, RawArt Good as Dead Poses and Skins, Genesis + adh3d, German Soldier for M3, Skies of Economy, Vogel Einz

Render: DS 4.5P
    Postwork: FilterForge

essen-1500-pw.jpg
    1500 x 938 - 228K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • dowddowd Posts: 9
    edited January 2013

Flower Power

Urban Future 4
    Mech 2012
    Genesis
    Daz studio 4.5

2nd entry

Thought I would go with this knowing it is similar to Stonemason's promo image
    Still getting my head around Daz Studio 4.5 but a lot of fun.

Looks like the judges will have their hands full

flowerpowersm.jpg
    791 x 1024 - 138K
    Post edited by dowd on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

First Entry

Title: The Obvious in an Obscure Light.
    Stonemason product: The ministry. http://www.daz3d.com/the-ministry
    Other Products used: - Fisheye Lens for Bryce Camera (product is WIP).
    Software Used: Bryce 7.1 Pro, Wings3D (for modelling the cones).
    Postwork: Paint Show Pro 8. Firefly removal and frame and text.

Obvious_obscure1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 879K
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited January 2013

oops, sorry, wrong thread :red:

Post edited by IanTP on
  • hal1hal1 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Thank you stefan for such a generous contest ! I'm glad to participate :)

Here is my first entry :

Title : It's mine ! Gollum !

Stonemason product
    Enchanted forest

Others Products used :
    Genesis
    Mr Hyde
    Troll loin

Rendered in DS4.5

Postwork in Gimp

mine.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 370K
    Post edited by hal1 on
    edited December 1969

I like the fact that a lot of you are using Bryce! I haven't used Bryce for ages

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited January 2013

...non entry as this was for another challenge a while back. (link to save space as this is fairly large). Still feel it's one of my best using Stefan's lovely sets.

---Stonemason content used: City Ruins Building 01

Other content:
    V4 with Thorne's Tommi, Jamminwolf's Tindra Thompson, and Kozaburo's Messy Hair.
    Toonimal Lamb - Daz3D
    Flyer Jacket - Daz3D
    Teen Ashely (Cargo Pants and sneakers) - 3DUniverse
    The Armoury (Heavy Auto Pistol) - DZ Fire
    The Firearm Pack (308 AR) - Daz3D
    Infantry Combat Equipment (Helmet) - Daz3D
    Videophone Booth (C-4 Brick & Timer) - RazorRider.
    Trash Stash ("MIlka" Carton) - Predatron3DA

Lights: Daz lights - 5 source + point light to add a bit of fill light for her face.

Realisd in Daz Studio 3Advanced.

Postwork: Toon Effect in Gimp.

Child of War

(click twice for full size 1,800 x 1,200)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

In two minds whether to enter or not! On the one hand the prizes are fantastic and a very generous offer, but on the other hand I'm not all that great at the art and I suspect my competition will beat me with a dirty stick!

On the issue of whether the DAZ owned items are allowed in the contest, I would say they probably are, since they are included in the prizes.

I wanted to offer what will hopefully be words of encouragement. A big part of what makes the pictures you're refering to, look so good, is the high degree of quality to Stonemason's work. This is especially true of his latest works, like Utopia Labs, Planets Alpine and Lava, The Enchanted Forest, just to name a few. Not that his older stuff was inferior but he's definately getting better every year. When using one of his scenes you're working with a very complete, detailed, and convincing environment. As long as you put something in it that fits the environment it'll look good. Like the city ruins pictures, all you need throw in there is something to suggest to the viewer how the city got in ruins, such as a rampaging mech and boom you got a pretty good looking scene. What's really going to take the prize here in my opinion is outside the box thinking to put in something that nomally doesn't fit but you do it in a way that people "get it" and admire your creativity. Anyone can put in a couple of mechs rampaging but how many could add say a little girl in a ragged dress holding a beat up "beloved" stuffed animal amongst the city ruins scene in a way that fits and is understood by the viewers?

So subject, pose, expression, a few well placed supporting props is the key, beyond that it's just a matter of good lighting and high quality render settings. If that is where you feel you are lacking there are tutorials galore that can be found here it daz and all over the internet. Also there are alot of helpful people in various forums that can help you make the most of your renders whether you use, Poser, Studio, Bryce or Cararra.

Rather then fearing you can't match or beat what's been shown already and letting that hold you back, let the possibility that you can figure out how to match or beat it be the source of motivation to expand your potential. If you do, even if you lose, ultimately you'll still be a winner.

Just want to add to that and say composition is key,composition is what holds an image together and grabs my attention more than anything else.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

and great entries so far guys!...keep them coming?