The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited February 2013

Here is one with a better view of the background

Catwoman of Asia

Both Streets of Asia superimposed one on top of the eachother Kunoichi from ElorOnceDark V4 Catwoman Mask Original from Ken1171

asian_catwoman_4.jpg
    1386 x 979 - 485K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    I want to try... but don't have much Stonemason stuff yet. :( I'll have to see what I can find...

All you need is ONE Stonemason item, a great idea, and a little time to put it into an image and you could have ALL his stuff. :)

OMG, can you imagine...ALL ALL ALL all aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......of his stuff?

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    I want to try... but don't have much Stonemason stuff yet. :( I'll have to see what I can find...

All you need is ONE Stonemason item, a great idea, and a little time to put it into an image and you could have ALL his stuff. :)

OMG, can you imagine...ALL ALL ALL all aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......of his stuff?

Okay, stop it, I'm drooling already. ;)

I've got some of his freebies - seeing his work many years ago is what got me interested in 3D models in the first place. Just never had the ability to try it myself until recently.

• edited December 1969

Here is my entry:
    Title: Connections
    I used Stonemasons's Regenerator and Level 19.
    Composed and rendered within Daz 4.5
    Postwork in Photoshop.

Connections.jpg
    1080 x 864 - 246K
    edited February 2013

Serene Streets Of Asia

Stone Mason Streets of Asia 1 and 2 and Lotus_Pavillion

asian_catwoman_5.jpg
    1386 x 831 - 512K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited December 1969

First entry
    Tarzan, Lord of the Apes

SM's Enchanted Forest
    Genesis x4
    3DSMax
    DS4.5
    Reality to Luxrender
    Photoshop

tarzanlotapost.jpg
    1178 x 903 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Fantastic tarzan render

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Tracking

Rendered in DS4 pro (post-work in CS2)
    Using "Return To The Enchanted Forest"

Tracking2.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 627K
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited January 2013

NOT AN ENTRY - Just a post for fun :)

HazMaint

rendered in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro with postwork done in Photoshop CS5, 3 Stonemason products used: Dark Places 2009 - Industrial, Floaterbot Freebie, Sci-fi Console 2

maint-sml.jpg
    1500 x 855 - 128K
    Post edited by MotoTsume on
    edited December 1969

hope no one minds - but I am gonna post 4 more render I did a year or more ago - featuring stonemason products quite heavily - again none are entries to contest :)

edited December 1969

a mech render I did a while ago :)

house_davion_vulture_by_mototsume.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 238K
    edited December 1969

first in a post apocalyptic series i did in 2010 and yes all 3 of these are similar to my first entry to contest, as i love that subject

aftermath_2053_a_by_mototsume.jpg
    1240 x 750 - 177K
    edited January 2013

number 2 in the series

aftermath_2053_b_by_mototsume.jpg
    1240 x 750 - 183K
    Post edited by MotoTsume on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 1969

Here is my entry:
    Postwork in Photoshop.

Nice image! You just encouraged me to buy this prop!

edited December 1969

last in that series - Note this one i am really proud of as I got a comment from a Iraq war veteran that it really touched him as he has seen scenes just like that in iraq

aftermath_2054_by_mototsume.jpg
    1240 x 750 - 167K
    edited December 1969

ok back to the regularly scheduled program :P

• edited December 1969

Here is my entry:
    Postwork in Photoshop.

Nice image! You just encouraged me to buy this prop!

Thank you! I guess I should also mention it uses the new bot for genesis, timeless male hair for genesis, genesis beard and supersuit for genesis.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...OK this makes it imperative that I get the new workstation up and running.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

TItle: Encounter
    Software: DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro / Photoshop
    Stonemason products: Urban Future 4 and Mech 2012

2013-01-24_Encounter_web.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 299K
  • FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Ok, I don't think I have the skill to compare to some of the entries so far, but I'm going to give it a shot since I'd love to get more Stonemason products. :)

Title: Bad Time to Shoot a Gun
    Stonemason Product: Dark Places: Back Alley 2k9
    Sofware used: Daz Studio 4.5, Photoshop Elements 10

Flag-Final.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 300K
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

it says

Post image entries to this thread,keep in mind there will be a lot of images so please dont post images that are too large(I recommend no larger than 1500 pixels)

we can go a little larger yes? I tend to do my images 1920 x 1080

edited December 1969

...no issue from me, I rarely go beyond the normal "wallpaper" size of 768 x 1024.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited January 2013

In two minds whether to enter or not! On the one hand the prizes are fantastic and a very generous offer, but on the other hand I'm not all that great at the art and I suspect my competition will beat me with a dirty stick!

On the issue of whether the DAZ owned items are allowed in the contest, I would say they probably are, since they are included in the prizes.

I wanted to offer what will hopefully be words of encouragement. A big part of what makes the pictures you're refering to, look so good, is the high degree of quality to Stonemason's work. This is especially true of his latest works, like Utopia Labs, Planets Alpine and Lava, The Enchanted Forest, just to name a few. Not that his older stuff was inferior but he's definately getting better every year. When using one of his scenes you're working with a very complete, detailed, and convincing environment. As long as you put something in it that fits the environment it'll look good. Like the city ruins pictures, all you need throw in there is something to suggest to the viewer how the city got in ruins, such as a rampaging mech and boom you got a pretty good looking scene. What's really going to take the prize here in my opinion is outside the box thinking to put in something that nomally doesn't fit but you do it in a way that people "get it" and admire your creativity. Anyone can put in a couple of mechs rampaging but how many could add say a little girl in a ragged dress holding a beat up "beloved" stuffed animal amongst the city ruins scene in a way that fits and is understood by the viewers?

So subject, pose, expression, a few well placed supporting props is the key, beyond that it's just a matter of good lighting and high quality render settings. If that is where you feel you are lacking there are tutorials galore that can be found here it daz and all over the internet. Also there are alot of helpful people in various forums that can help you make the most of your renders whether you use, Poser, Studio, Bryce or Cararra.

Rather then fearing you can't match or beat what's been shown already and letting that hold you back, let the possibility that you can figure out how to match or beat it be the source of motivation to expand your potential. If you do, even if you lose, ultimately you'll still be a winner.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

I've always been of the opinion, we learn by doing. Contest are a great way to challenge ourselves to the next level of proficiency. It's the journey that counts.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

got to be in it to win it

I find i learn more from entering contests than i ever have from tutorials, there is some strange magical thing that comes out of competition, some how you just magically know how to do new things, i really can't explain it, but it happens to me all the time

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I've always been of the opinion, we learn by doing. Contest are a great way to challenge ourselves to the next level of proficiency. It's the journey that counts.
    Totally agree there...can't say much more. :)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

My first try

Sunlit Forest

Used Enchanted Forest 2 I replaced the water with a Bryce water mat.

Rendered in Bryce 7 Pro with true ambience enabled, and a photofilter applied in postwork

Enchanted_Forest_postworked.jpg
    1601 x 900 - 559K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:
    Ok, I don't think I have the skill to compare to some of the entries so far, but I'm going to give it a shot since I'd love to get more Stonemason products. :)

Title: Bad Time to Shoot a Gun
    Stonemason Product: Dark Places: Back Alley 2k9
    Sofware used: Daz Studio 4.5, Photoshop Elements 10

very nice - like that you can see whats going on
    have fun - don't worry about the other entries

edited December 1969

a little girl in a ragged dress holding a beat up "beloved" stuffed animal amongst the city ruins scene

damn I wish I had thought of that :)

edited December 1969

...I entered a Stonemason challenge a number of years ago when I was still very new to this. At the time I was learning Carrara (6) so I that is the app I did my submission in since Studio (at the time 1.8 I believe) didn't have much going for it in the way of outdoor scenery content.

Felt fairly outclassed by some of the other entries I saw which used apps like Vue, Bryce and 3DS (with postwork in Photoshop).

No doubt will be competing against works done with those apps again (though I do now have the latest version of Bryce).

Will that stop me? No.

About the only thing that could get in the way is having to still iron out some nagging system configuration/set up issues as well as getting everything installed on the new rig and working properly.

...this is the kick in the bum I need to get that done.