Keep Calm : There's always another Sale (Daily Sale Talk)

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I thought the same when I saw it. I still don't understand the Twilight hair being split into 2 main products (not to mention the additional hair colours, which all come with a NORMAL PA/DO hair) 

lx said:

Here's a perfect example to my complaint about the PC+ falls hair:

http://www.daz3d.com/dolly-changeable-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

Same artist, more features, MUCH more useful product description, cheaper price.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    jakiblue said:

I thought the same when I saw it. I still don't understand the Twilight hair being split into 2 main products (not to mention the additional hair colours, which all come with a NORMAL PA/DO hair) 

lx said:

Same artist, more features, MUCH more useful product description, cheaper price.

Me too - if I'd bought the Twilight hair, I'd be returning it and buying the other one.

• Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

lx said:

Me too - if I'd bought the Twilight hair, I'd be returning it and buying the other one.

Ha...yeah, I had the Twilight hair in my cart and dumped it when I saw the Dolly Changeable hair....For one thing it is just better renders selling it.  Second, there appear to be a lot more styling morphs and you get the "fall" as part of the deal.  If you aren't buying anything else, it's worth it to buy both hair models...simply because it barely changes the total price when you figure in the 50 instead of 40 percent discount on both.

But, if you want some other newly or still mad item, I'd say go with the Dolly.

• Anyone else wonder what's up with the "featured textures and morphs?"  Many of them are listed at full price.  So, the discount is less than what I can usually buy them for during any other sale.  I had to laugh when I saw the Melody 2 texture bundle priced at $60...especially since I passed on it when it was featured in the Melody sale a couple of weeks ago for $10.

Maybe they just haven't finished updating the prices, yet.  

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    edited April 2017

Yeah, I was wondering, too: 30% off daily prices if I buy a new release? That's the worst 'Mad' sale all Madness. Especially since it seems to be replacing 'Related Products' which are usually the 40/50% off.

Post edited by dreamfarmer on

Just sent request for refund. hopefully they'll do it before new releases tomorrow so i can buy the new Dolly one. Much better deal.  

Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

lx said:

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

Twilight hair (all three) cost me $7.53 total

Dolly hair is in my cart, now for $8.98

no, not returning it. You guys had my panicking for a second.

I'm returning the halo vehicle. I'd like to support, but I know my gut will never let me use it.

Even that WALKER figure- I out him back in the cart and said 'maybe I'll morph him with someone els" but then saw that he's Genesis. Ouch.

Deleted from cart.

Have you got something else in cart to get the $8.98 price? 

avxp said:

Twilight hair (all three) cost me $7.53 total

Dolly hair is in my cart, now for $8.98

no, not returning it. You guys had my panicking for a second.

I'm returning the halo vehicle. I'd like to support, but I know my gut will never let me use it.

Even that WALKER figure- I out him back in the cart and said 'maybe I'll morph him with someone els" but then saw that he's Genesis. Ouch.

Deleted from cart.

edited April 2017

My cart is loaded so it's probably that 40% off for 50% for two thing kicking in.

and getting some NEWLY releases...so it's all combining.

Mind you, I can't AFFORD this cart...

These are my fantasy configurations and then I dump in order of least needed and wanted until I have something manageable. lol

My-Cart-04-06-2017.jpg
    437 x 741 - 34K
    Post edited by Griffin Avid on
    edited April 2017

Top looks hard to see, here's a better shot of the top.

Cart topper.jpg
    1377 x 857 - 395K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2017

lx said:
    lx said:

Twilight Hair...

The hair costs ($19.95) $3.49. Perfectly fine. Only 3 hair colours, but sure.

If you'd like more than 3 hair colours (9 more!) Pay an extra  ($12.95) $3.49.

Now if you want some more bones with 4 more morphs, pay an extra ($16.95) $2.79.

That's a base price of $49 for a hair with 12 colours and some morphs (~$10 at PC+ pricing.)

I agree...doesn't seem like much of a PC discount if it ends up costing the same as a PA new release.  The color thing is normal.  Besides, I have lots of hair color packs that will work.  That didn't really bug me.  But, I thought having to buy extra bones was really a bit much.  On top of that, PC+ hairs usually don't have many good renders to see what the extra styles are.  As far as I can tell, all the addon bones do is let the back hair be drawn together to a point.  Is there more to it?

It's not extra bones, it's an additional hairpiece that can be added to the basic hair (that, apparently, is what a fall is).

I thought it was an additional hairpiece initially (as you're saying it is) but the description literally says it is extra bones for the main hair item. I feel like product descriptions not explaining what is actually included in said product is not too uncommon an issue, which is a shame when they often lose sales by selling themselves short. There have been a number of times for me alone that I was going to pass on a product until I noticed someone posting about it on the forums and realising there was more to the product than they bothered to explain.

I still think charging an extra 75% to add another ponytail to one hairstyle is ridiculous (hopefully you can use it across other hairs too but that isn't what it's being sold as.)

+1

Post edited by nicstt on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Is 'fall' the American word for 'hairpiece' then, or do Americans not know what it meant either? I thought 'fall' just meant 'autumn' in America. Over here it only means to drop, as in 'I participated in March Madness throughout the month and watched my bank balance fall' :) I'm glad it's not just me who looked closely at the photos of the two products more than once and couldn't see what difference the autumnal dropping hairpiece made to the product. It felt a bit like doing a 'spot the ball' competition, only without the possibility of a prize. I looked at the descriptions as well, and couldn't really tell whether the original style relied on the autumnal dropping hairdo for some of it's functionality, or whether it gained additional functions when paired with it (while still not managing to look any different!).

Inability to glean details from product listings is down to lack of chocolate (a well-known fact with scads of research to support it. Somewhere), so I just abandoned interest in both products and went and ate a Mars Bar :)

edited April 2017

I can't argue against that. I opened up two windows and couldn't see much difference between the two (or three)  products.

So I did what has led me to be burned several times and that's....

Trust the vendor that they had a good reason for splitting up their products like that. lol

I would be very upset if I thought I was getting one of the regular expansions/ad-ons and it seemingly did little.

Funny how I made this thread in January and now Bones-in-Hair is a bigger thing

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/144306/hair-and-wind-and-dynamic-hair-and-and#latest

The products with lack of details is killing me. I get so tired of 20% of my purchases being a risk.

I don't even see why the full explanation of HOW TO USE IT - isn't in the product info.

Long as we're complaining - Vendor's please stop with the colorful text that has NOTHING to do with your product. Or keep it, but just don't have that for your product description.

What? This:

"It's cold, she's ready. Enemies all around. Take your render to the next level with this avenging spirit."

No list of props. No category. Only a mention of a .DUF file.

No required items, no compatible software.

Luckily, one promo image is something like mesh view  and shows it was shorts and a top and boots. Forget the crazy sword and gun- forget the hair and face and facemask and pose. lol

Cart emptied.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

The one directly from the vendor is fantastic.

The vendor's one that was bought by Daz and priced and sold by them with barely any info is the one that's jacked up to around double the price total.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    avxp said:
    [...]

Long as we're complaining - Vendor's please stop with the colorful text that has NOTHING to do with your product. Or keep it, but just don't have that for your product description.

What? This:

"It's cold, she's ready. Enemies all around. Take your render to the next level with this avenging spirit."

No list of props. No category. Only a mention of a .DUF file.

No required items, no compatible software.

Luckily, one promo image is something like mesh view  and shows it was shorts and a top and boots. Forget the crazy sword and gun- forget the hair and face and facemask and pose. lol

Cart emptied.

Well, maybe if she'd been wearing proper trousers, she'd not have been cold...

But yeah, it can take a lot of looking at things to work out what an item is - and I've overlooked things because of it, that with some luck I'll notice because someone renders it a year later, and I realise is something I can use.

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 725
    edited April 2017
    Brugan said:

Am I the only one who's on the fence about the Warthog, sorry I mean Spartech Jumper in today's sale?

I love the Halo universe, and I have been taking the time to update some old M4 sci-fi armors to Iray. It's an awesome vehicle but I feel like it's SO close to the Warthog that I couldn't use it for anything other than Halo fan art.

Anyone have it already? Does it have modifications to make it less "warthoggy"?

Opinions?

Honestly, I think it could be argued that the bulk of the sci-fi armor-y items in the store lately are way too similar to both Halo and Mass Effect. They're pretty much this generation's Star Wars and Star Trek (hell, that upcoming 'Valerian' movie looks like a bootleg lovechild of the two, and that comic inspired Star Wars' visuals back in the day), so I'd probably just mentally brace yourself for even more items "inspired" by those two series over the next few years, lmao. 

ETA: Also, I feel about the same when it comes to the sci-fi items over at another store, only sub 'Halo' for 'Star Trek'. If nothing else, I'm glad Halo and ME are inspiring people to make sci-fi items that aren't lifted from Star Trek (which I never was a fan of), ahaha.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on

Very keen insight on Valerian. And spot on. I played the first couple of Mass Effects. One of them put me on a  rail and I bailed on the series after that.

My newsfeed is CRAMMED with Mass Effect ads...and the one with a girl hunting dino-bots.

I played an old, old version Halo but never owned it myself, but come to think of it- that is the sources.

Now, now Stonemason is BLADE RUNNER all day. That's my favorite movie of all time. I say so here....and explain why

https://dynamicsplus.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/blade-runner-1982-movie-review/

But that I don't mind. I hope he does more...makes dolls....garbage trucks to punch through...rooftops to leap across...

I get all the Tomb Raider/Indy - spelunker love.

But I think that one was too close- specially since there was enough skill to go to the next level...

Sadly, I have a ticket out for a return...

Don't watch Halo enough..to catch that but now that I look....

some robots are clearly Armored Core or District 9 or Chappe or Automatta etc....

I like inspired by- I think a  big part of the Daz engine SHOULD be similar products....

You combine Mad Max and walking dead and you have 80% of the store content. lol

- Just...kid....ding..

I do want a sleeker team-together type vehicle...

The hunt continues...

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

Is 'fall' the American word for 'hairpiece' then, or do Americans not know what it meant either? I thought 'fall' just meant 'autumn' in America. Over here it only means to drop, as in 'I participated in March Madness throughout the month and watched my bank balance fall' :)

I thought someone had mispelled 'false' as 'falls'...

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

Is 'fall' the American word for 'hairpiece' then, or do Americans not know what it meant either? I thought 'fall' just meant 'autumn' in America. Over here it only means to drop, as in 'I participated in March Madness throughout the month and watched my bank balance fall' :)

Merriam-Webster's definition of fall (once you get past the meanings of 'fall' as a verb and scroll all the way down to the nouns) includes: 

• h :  a usually long straight portion of hair that is attached to a person's own hair

Mind you, it also includes:

• g :  long hair overhanging the face of dogs of some breeds

No word from DAZ whether this product can also be used for that purpose. You'd think they'd have put that in the product description.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I've been assuming the useful or at least unique product descriptions are something we only get from English-speaking vendors. The super-generic useless stuff comes from marketing who (I assume) steps in for in-house, buyouts and non-English speakers. 

It did take me a few months to just start ignoring the descriptions and relying on the promo photos and the list of Includes.  

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017

They used a lot of falls, hair pieces and hair extensions in the 1960s. Big hair was a thing, and they made it bigger with those. I remember my mom talking about "falls" and having to ask her what those were (way before my time!) It's a term that's been around for quite a while.

Post edited by Llynara on

My hair alternates between being short, or a shaved head (almost bald). Hairstyles and things like "fall" simply just aren't in my vocabulary LOL, or even knowledge.  

Llynara said:

They used a lot of falls, hair pieces and hair extensions in the 1960s. Big hair was a thing, and they made it bigger with those. I remember my mom talking about "falls" and having to ask her what those were (way before my time!) It's a term that's been around for quite a while.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,458

Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    jakiblue said:

My hair alternates between being short, or a shaved head (almost bald). Hairstyles and things like "fall" simply just aren't in my vocabulary LOL, or even knowledge.  

Llynara said:

Mine alternates between 'hedge' and 'explosion in a wool factory'. I don't predict either of these styles rocking up in the Daz store any time soon :)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    jakiblue said:

Llynara said:

Mine alternates between 'hedge' and 'explosion in a wool factory'. I don't predict either of these styles rocking up in the Daz store any time soon :)

That's what the Product Suggestions forum is for. :-)

I think I'd probably buy those. I'm a sucker for hair that looks like something normal people -- as opposed to fashion models -- might have. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I think I'd probably buy those. I'm a sucker for hair that looks like something normal people -- as opposed to fashion models -- might have.

Agreed. Every medieval knight or maiden, space exploring astronaut, retiree and grandchild, police officer, doctor, fast food worker - rendered in DAZ - inevitably has a hairstyle more at home at a European Fashion runway. Clothes are a similar problem. And they all drive exotic Italian sports cars. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

I can't get particularly excited about today's Mad Offer -- An 'extra' 30 % off either tutorials or shapes & morphs with purchase of newly mad or still mad item.. Most of them are at full price so the mad offer only results in 30% off their regular price.

I may be saving a few pennies today.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Just FYI there is an OutOfTouch 65% Sale on the other site

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Agreed. Every medieval knight or maiden, space exploring astronaut, retiree and grandchild, police officer, doctor, fast food worker - rendered in DAZ - inevitably has a hairstyle more at home at a European Fashion runway. Clothes are a similar problem. And they all drive exotic Italian sports cars. 

Well, for perspective, this is also true in movies and television; at least in DAZ Studio there are anough morphs to get more unusual-looking 'actors' than you see in the professional studios.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Well, for perspective, this is also true in movies and television; at least in DAZ Studio there are anough morphs to get more unusual-looking 'actors' than you see in the professional studios.

My favorite example of all time of that was "Stands With Fist" from Dances With Wolves. 

Seriously, she gets kidnapped and raised somewhere on the great plains by native Americans but she still has perfectly feathered hair throughout the entire movie as she falls in love with Kevin Costner - like, white people just wake up with our hair fashionably styled. 

This discussion has been closed.