Having problems with the AM Squirrel

WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
edited April 2017 in The Commons

I'm having several problems with the AM Squirrel

1. I can't find a dial to open its mouth

2. The fur doesn't render in Iray

3. It won't render at all in 3Delight and got this weird message, then it closed.

Also there doesn't seem to be an easy pose for the tail, you have to move each node individually. There is a plain right/left preset but no up/down/curl or dial sthat I can find...

Post edited by Wonderland on

Comments

• Well, I know the fur requires Look At My Hair, which works best in 3dl, and the only way to get it to work in Iray is to export the hair as an object or fiberhair. I'm not really sure how it works since I don't have it, but the LAMH thread is here

As for your other issues you'd probably get a quicker/better answer if you ask in the commercial thread here.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Drill down to the head in the scene tab, and there is "jaw". In the parameters there is "bend" which opens the mouth. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

I'm having problems with it too, it's trying to get into my cart...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Taozen said:

Resistance is futile...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I bent down to pat my dog...and when I looked up, not only was it IN the cart, it had already checked out.  

L'Adair said:
    Taozen said:

Resistance is futile...

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited April 2017

Make sure you have the LAMH Free Player installed: https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair-free-player

For Fiber Hair, you need the full Plugin: https://www.daz3d.com/look-at-my-hair

Having the Full PlugIn and the Free Player installed is not recommended. Uninstall the free player if you have both products installed.

For 3Delight, go to Knittingmommys Laboratory and follow this tutorial:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1130381/#Comment_1130381

For Iray, if you have only the free player do the .obj-export:

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • bought but haven't had a chance to play yeah I had the mouth problem on some other animals too took awhile to work it out think I actually asked AM but I like his stuff so wasn't unhappy and his made some of my local wildlife which I love from Tasmania anyway he has a thread on Daz PA Commercial Products section https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/159521/rodents-by-am-polymorph-squirrels-of-eastern-hemisphere-props-and-poses-commercial#latest    I have a few planned renders for this and there is a charcter wanted todo can now do AM also did a new video on converting Squiral to iray slightly different to previous way little hard to see on my main screen had to project on my big tv fair few steps to it 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Taozen said:

you mean you you press that shopping cart buy button and not working yeah that has been happening to me too and really annoying only way it's working to actually get anything into your cart is clicking on the product then the creators name which takes you to their store and the shopping cart icon works there

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    Taozen said:

LOL

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I have the full version of LAMH and it looked like the hair was already attached as a separate object. I thought that since there was an Iray material for it, it would just be click and render and I wouldn't have to manually do anything... Seems too complicated for what it is. And I thought it would at least have an easy mouth open/close dial and an EZ pose tail. May be my first return.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    Taozen said:

you mean you you press that shopping cart buy button and not working yeah that has been happening to me too and really annoying only way it's working to actually get anything into your cart is clicking on the product then the creators name which takes you to their store and the shopping cart icon works there

You can also (this probably takes longer) go to the url and type 'https://'; in front of it. Clears it right up. For that page.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

I have the full version of LAMH and it looked like the hair was already attached as a separate object. I thought that since there was an Iray material for it, it would just be click and render and I wouldn't have to manually do anything... Seems too complicated for what it is. And I thought it would at least have an easy mouth open/close dial and an EZ pose tail. May be my first return.

I also thought that since it said it had Iray presets that it would load and go. There in nothing on the product page (that I saw anyway) to indicate what a complicated and time consuming process it is to use it in Iray. If a customer doesn't use the forums and doesn't happen across AM's video tutorial, how on earth would they use this? It seems like the video tutorial should at least be linked on the product page.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

There is no open mouth morph as such but the pucker and upper lip morphs will do much the same thing.

Cheers,

Alex.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited April 2017

I'm having some scaling issues with the squirrel. If I try to scale the animal up to 400% by entering the number numerically, the hair does not update in the view. If I scale the the animal using the slider, the hair does update in the view. Likewise, undo the scaling thast was just done via slider, and the hair does not update in the view. The workaround for this is to use the incremental +/- buttons to scale a little up, and then scale down the opposite amount after numerically scaling, or undoing. This triggers the hair to update in the view. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Also, regardless of the updating view issue, when scaling the animal up, the position of each hair will update, but the length does not scale. The larger squirrel will have a relatively speaking shorter hair, if you catch my drift. Anybody know if this is the intended behavior? Thanks.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

we really shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a new daz studio product to render in iray at this point.  seriously?  that's just disappointing.  when you see 'iray material presets' on a product page, you expect surface settings that apply with one click.  that's standard studio operating procedure these days.

that said, i'd be all in favor of a paid update to Look At My Hair, if that's what it'd take to make iray development of the product seem worthwhile to AM.

j

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

There is no open mouth morph as such but the pucker and upper lip morphs will do much the same thing.

Cheers,

Alex.

I tried that but it just puckers the lips. @Jakiblue 's suggestion to use the jaw node and use bend will probably work but not sure if I'll be keeping this...  I will try it again in 3Delght and make my final decision... Just weird that it doesn't have basic morphs like mouth open/close and and an easier way to adjust the tail or even body parts without having to go into all the bones. I wish there were hind legs crouch and some other dials for movement as well. The product seems very basic especially for having to purchase two products just for it to work...

jardine said:

we really shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a new daz studio product to render in iray at this point.  seriously?  that's just disappointing.  when you see 'iray material presets' on a product page, you expect surface settings that apply with one click.  that's standard studio operating procedure these days.

that said, i'd be all in favor of a paid update to Look At My Hair, if that's what it'd take to make iray development of the product seem worthwhile to AM.

j

My understanding is that an update is in the works, and at least partially dependent on Iray supporting hair natively, so it's out of their control. Not sure whether the update will be paid or not.

- Greg

• I'm having some scaling issues with the squirrel. If I try to scale the animal up to 400% by entering the number numerically, the hair does not update in the view. If I scale the the animal using the slider, the hair does update in the view. Likewise, undo the scaling that was just done via slider, and the hair does not update in the view. The workaround for this is to use the incremental +/- buttons to scale a little up, and then scale down the opposite amount after numerically scaling, or undoing. This triggers the hair to update in the view. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Also, regardless of the updating view issue, when scaling the animal up, the position of each hair will update, but the length does not scale. The larger squirrel will have a relatively speaking shorter hair, if you catch my drift. Anybody know if this is the intended behavior? Thanks.

- Greg

Regarding the problem with the fur length, yes, that is actually how LAMH behaves. The way to solve it is by going into the LAMH tab and using the slider for the hair length, which I don't believe is available on the free product. Annoying, and potentially unfeasible, but it is what it is. Also, the need to nudge values has been a known issue for quite some time, same thing happens sometimes when moving the figure around and suddenly seeing the green hair get left behind. On the other hand, if you decide on a pose and do the fiberhair export, it should work as a a parented hair prop regarding both positioning and scaling, though that is also not ideal for several reasons (memory issues, immutability).

Uthgard said:

I'm having some scaling issues with the squirrel. If I try to scale the animal up to 400% by entering the number numerically, the hair does not update in the view. If I scale the the animal using the slider, the hair does update in the view. Likewise, undo the scaling that was just done via slider, and the hair does not update in the view. The workaround for this is to use the incremental +/- buttons to scale a little up, and then scale down the opposite amount after numerically scaling, or undoing. This triggers the hair to update in the view. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

- Greg

Regarding the problem with the fur length, yes, that is actually how LAMH behaves. The way to solve it is by going into the LAMH tab and using the slider for the hair length, which I don't believe is available on the free product. Annoying, and potentially unfeasible, but it is what it is. Also, the need to nudge values has been a known issue for quite some time, same thing happens sometimes when moving the figure around and suddenly seeing the green hair get left behind. On the other hand, if you decide on a pose and do the fiberhair export, it should work as a a parented hair prop regarding both positioning and scaling, though that is also not ideal for several reasons (memory issues, immutability).

Thanks for replying, Uthgard. I already own the full LAMH plugin, but was just looking for a way to avoid having to open up the editor. Thanks for confirming both behaviors.

- Greg

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Except it vanishes once you close the file...

Yes, even if I save the file with the exported fiberhair, when I reopen the file, the fiberhair is not there. I have asked about this twice in the commercial thread and cannot get an answer to whether this is how it is intended to work or not. Very frustrating.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

it took me all night in wireframe mode my RAM running flatout but I rigged the 7 LAMH obj exports to my Squirrel with the transfer utility using near vertices as low as it goes and saved each as support assets.

Opened a new scene and fit them all and I am rendering an animation in iray punishing my poor PC in the process, it is rendering though and the conforming fur is following the critter.

edited April 2017
    th3Digit said:

it took me all night in wireframe mode my RAM running flatout but I rigged the 7 LAMH obj exports to my Squirrel with the transfer utility using near vertices as low as it goes and saved each as support assets.

Opened a new scene and fit them all and I am rendering an animation in iray punishing my poor PC in the process, it is rendering though and the conforming fur is following the critter.

Awesome work. If the forum had a bow down emoji, I'd use it. smiley

Post edited by barbult on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

LAMH is kind of like Optitex Dynamics: you really, really, REALLY need to have the character's pose and positioning 100% decided and nailed down before you bring dynamic clothes or strand based hair into the picture, and neither of them are a one-click solution.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

My understanding is that an update is in the works, and at least partially dependent on Iray supporting hair natively, so it's out of their control. Not sure whether the update will be paid or not.

- Greg

thanks!  that's pretty good news. 

:)

j

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    barbult said:
    th3Digit said:

well this is the video

not that awesome there is polygon pulling and after rendering D|S showed me my desktop with this message

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "E:\programs\Daz\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000D37CFF9C, DzScene::selectAllNodes()+124 byte(s)

th3Digit said:
    barbult said:
    th3Digit said:

well this is the video

not that awesome there is polygon pulling and after rendering D|S showed me my desktop with this message

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "E:\programs\Daz\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000D37CFF9C, DzScene::selectAllNodes()+124 byte(s)

It is still pretty impressive. I never would have noticed the polygon if you hadn't mentioned it, and I'm still not even sure if what I saw is what you meant. I love his last pose, too. I assume you can also use that rigged fur in still images to repose your squirrel without exporting to OBJ all over again.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Skunk gave me the same problems. Still haven't sussed it properly.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    Taozen said:

Thanks, I think you misread my my post though, it was just a joke... smiley

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited April 2017
    barbult said:

Yes, even if I save the file with the exported fiberhair, when I reopen the file, the fiberhair is not there. I have asked about this twice in the commercial thread and cannot get an answer to whether this is how it is intended to work or not. Very frustrating.

Once a fiberhair it is up to DS. To make sure the FiberHair loads on next attempt, pull the FiberHair OUT of the LAMH group. Since the exported FiberHair is separate from LAMH it does not have to be in the LAMH Group and can manipulated like any other DS object.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on