Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2017

Oh yes, postwork is fun and perfectly fine to post. You won't see me doing much of it as I try to show "out of the box" so you see what you're getting. 

I'm sure everyone knows there's Flash Sales right now, and they will probably be rotating out if they do it like a few days ago. And I can't believe that with the good deals on poses (in the $3ish to 4ish range, in the banner if you're a bonus buyer it's an additional 60% off) I still couldn't buy them as I am whizzing through my gift card and it's only the 3rd of the month. I picked up a few, but in the Flash Sales, I got 

Urban Survivors (Gen3F/M)   The morphs/wrinkles at the bottom of those pants look quite a bit like the Nomad jeans, if you look at them.

D4M Faith Hair (Hi Res)

TerraLUNA 3

and I did pick up Willow Creek. I checked Fern Lake and it is different enough that it's worth the purchase. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

1.    Home on Leave    Render   -  Alien Metals - Iray shaders by @Eva1      I re did the armour (coming soon by Greybro) in the metal shaders.  Very cool product!

2.    Aran Render  - Aran For Genesis 3 Female - by @Marcius - This is really a beautiful character, very different and alien yet beautiful.  The armour is also Disciples of Creech (used in #1)

3. Green Fairy  Render - Jepes Body Jewels 3 for Genesis 2 Female - by @Jepe - These actually also work on m4 and v4 through Genesis 2 male and female.  Very very cool products.

4. Rapture V4 Skin on Base G2F - Render  - V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female(s) - LOVE this.  I have converted most of my V4 Skins to Gen2F and it works fabulously!  Can't wait to try out Genx and bring the characters up as well.

5. Render - Sickleyields Dress Rig  - @Sickleyield -  Another awesome conversion utility.  This brings the Genesis clothing up to Genesis 2 Female - Don't let the name fool you, it works on darn near everything.  There are one or two things that don't convert well but its item specific.  The biggest one is shoes but that's totally expected.  I have converted earrings, necklaces, tiaras, corsets, pants, shirts, skirts, dresses, stockings etc.   It also work rather well on a lot of v4 clothing.  Not everything but enough to be worth the effort of trying it on each outfit.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Did anyone get the squirrel? I'm having problems with it as posted here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/159711/having-problems-with-the-am-squirrel#latest

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited April 2017

You have to export the fur to render it in iray. Check the commercial thread linked - it has a video that explains how to export for iray rendering. I haven't loaded him up yet so can't help with opening the mouth as yet.  

edit: answered you over there, but in case others were curious, go down to the head in the scene tab, go to 'jaw' and in the parameters there is bend, side to side, and twist. Bend opens the mouth. 

Did anyone get the squirrel? I'm having problems with it as posted here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/159711/having-problems-with-the-am-squirrel#latest

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

I'm having a bunch of issues with it. Read the commercial thread and watch the video that jakiblue linked.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2017

I'm on strike against buying animals until I get a 3d dog. I swear we'll see a duck billed platypus before I ever see a mil cat or dog. wink

Im not a fan of complicated lamh presets. I want to just click and have it work.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I'm on strike against buying animals until I get a 3d dog. I swear we'll see a duck billed platypus before I ever see a mil cat or dog. wink

Im not a fan of complicated lamh presets. I want to just click and have it work.

+1   I think the fur should already be on the animal, who wants a bald-ish or unrealistic short hair version? 
    BTW, platypus are adorable. And yes, I already own it! 

When I saw that the product page said the Squirrel had Iray Presets, I assumed all that hocus pocus to get the fur to render in Iray had been solved. NOT SO! It is as much of a hassle as all the previous furry critters. Now I discovered that after waiting minutes for the scene to save, when I reopen the scene later, the fur is gone. This could be a bug or maybe I am doing something wrong. The jury is still out on that one. This may have to be returned.

Ya know, that got me to thinkin', which is always dangerous. Kathryn Loch was nice enough to share her fur brushes, I googled but can't find the link. Anyone have it handy? I'll also put it in my References (2nd post of this thread) as I already checked and I don't have it. I wonder how hard it would be to use those and furrify something. (Did I just make up a word?) 

Found the Fur Brushes  and this video.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    barbult said:

When I saw that the product page said the Squirrel had Iray Presets, I assumed all that hocus pocus to get the fur to render in Iray had been solved. NOT SO! It is as much of a hassle as all the previous furry critters. Now I discovered that after waiting minutes for the scene to save, when I reopen the scene later, the fur is gone. This could be a bug or maybe I am doing something wrong. The jury is still out on that one. This may have to be returned.

I think the fur has to be loaded again as a separate object.

I really, really wish LAMH was less buggy. Everytime I try to use it, even with presets, I end up wanting to adjust something and everything crashes including the results of a long export to fiberwhatever/.

barbult said:

Loaded how? Do you mean it has to be exported all over again? If so, why is the saved file so HUGE?

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I only have experience with one LAMH product, the Eastern Dragon, but I wound up returning it due to crashing. I've been really wanting to get the White Tiger LAMH for DAZ Big Cat 2, to give LAMH another chance, but now you're making me reconsider. There will never be a reason for DAZ to release a new dog, or any new animal until they can remedy the fur problem. And the only game in town is a buggy LAMH system, from what I gather. So what is the solution. Why can't there be an animal with fur parented, like a set of traditional hair peices? Is it due to dealing with bends? Is it a hardware issue, with having to deal with so much geometry? Or a problem with both?

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2017

I've always had issues with saving LAMH scenes. For some reason, it always crashes. I can usually load the preset, then render, but I have to save without the fibermesh on.

Blaming my beloved old coffee ginder for that though. Stil don't dare to upgrade from 4.6, so I have no idea about combining LAMH with iray.

Post edited by mori_mann on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

https://www.daz3d.com/cs-platypus

I haven't tried LAMH presets in iray in a while, but I do remember I didn't have any real problems...other than loooong render times. I havne't tried it since I got more RAM, so don't know if that will fix it tho. 

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

More RAM helped for me. When I still only had 4 GB, any attempt at LAMH crashed. Doubling it helped, although I still don't really dare to do big redners with it.

I went from 8gb to 16gb. My vid card is only a  GeForce GTX 960 so I'll give the squirrel a go tonight and see what happens. I need a tree......

mori_mann said:

More RAM helped for me. When I still only had 4 GB, any attempt at LAMH crashed. Doubling it helped, although I still don't really dare to do big redners with it.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    jakiblue said:

I went from 8gb to 16gb. My vid card is only a  GeForce GTX 960 so I'll give the squirrel a go tonight and see what happens. I need a tree......

mori_mann said:

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Plants

edited April 2017

Hmmm, interesting. In February 2013 I bought the Garibaldi Hair Express System here at Daz. I remember I liked it. It's no longer in the store. The website is garibaldiexpress(dot com) and there's an email. For those of us who own it, there's also free items, not sure exactly what those are- if it's the actual hair, lion's mane, or what. Anyone know or can tell by looking at it? (Go to the free page.)  Now I'm wondering if I should try Garibaldi, it's been so long. I am not seeing where it is sold anywhere else, the link to purchase goes back to Daz. So what't the current status of this outside of Daz?

Edit- well, weird. I bought it in 2013 and the ReadMe says it was released in 2015. Was it a different version or update? (Another edit- Nope. Version 1.0. So don't know why it's got the wrong date on the ReadMe)

Post edited by Novica on

Here is a video to show you the Garibaldi hair system. Anyone else have experience/remember using it? I can remember it was rather fun but I only twiddled with it for a few minutes, years ago.

edited April 2017

I bought the Garibaldi hair system in November 2015 I think. I tried it and liked it as well but just wasn't competant enough in Studio to really understand what I was doing lol. Its on my list of things to try again as well as LAMH.  Its odd that its not available anymore.  There is a dedicated forum thread floating around somewhere let me see if I can find it. 

Here it is.  Maybe someone there has an answer

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited April 2017

I bought the Garibaldi hair system in November 2015 I think. I tried it and liked it as well but just wasn't competant enough in Studio to really understand what I was doing lol. Its on my list of things to try again as well as LAMH.  Its odd that its not available anymore.  There is a dedicated forum thread floating around somewhere let me see if I can find it.

We might want to revitalize the efforts. I know that was my problem too- being new and totally "DUH." And I still am! (Notice I've never gone back to it, LOL.) I do have to focus on the weight mapping/rigging project I'm doing and not get sidetracked, but if I get a free half hour or so, I'll go back and start watching the video/ getting a feel of it. 

And another discussion, for hair with the Genesis 3 Females and how to tweak.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

I bought it on December 30. 2016 but haven't looked at it yet.. According to DAZ_Steve it has been temporarily removed from the store because they ran out of product keys :O 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2218736/#Comment_2218736

edited April 2017

Oh my, @Gone is apparently the hair expert. This is what he/she posted in the forums a couple years ago- look at that hair!!!  It's so soft- I WANT TO PET IT!!!! laugh

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

We might want to revitalize the efforts. I know that was my problem too- being new and totally "DUH." And I still am! (Notice I've never gone back to it, LOL.) I do have to focus on the weight mapping/rigging project I'm doing and not get sidetracked, but if I get a free half hour or so, I'll go back and start watching the video/ getting a feel of it. 

And another discussion, for hair with the Genesis 3 Females and how to tweak.

I still feel new too lol.  I am in the process of teaching myself to model so I know exactly what you mean.  Not enough time in the day, ever.  And I want to learn to texture on a uv map. I actually think I have a fair handle on the basics I just need to find time to DO it.

edited April 2017

I bought it on December 30. 2016 but haven't looked at it yet.. According to DAZ_Steve it has been temporarily removed from the store because they ran out of product keys :O 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2218736/#Comment_2218736

LOL, so of COURSE I stir up new interest in it. (Slaps forehead with palm of hand)  How funny the discussion is a couple weeks ago- fairly recent. I didn't see it. I gave up surfing a lot of threads, I won't get anything done.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

*snickers* Yep of course you do. 

I should follow your example and stop reading all kinds of threads too. Takes too much time lol 

Seriously though. I kind of got it for free . 8 items including Garibaldi, 4 were bundles and I only paid a total of 30$ :D 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017
    barbult said:

I really, really wish LAMH was less buggy. Everytime I try to use it, even with presets, I end up wanting to adjust something and everything crashes including the results of a long export to fiberwhatever/.

This is exactly why I passed on the cute squirrels, foxes, wolves and everything else that uses LAMH. I bought  Lord of Snow for M4 last year by Lady Little Fox. Gorgeous outfit, was very excited to render it with fur and LAMH presets. I've never gotten it to work right- in the player and the full version! (Yes, I know you can't have both installed at the same time. Yes, I tried each separately.) I switched computers and had issues with the registration too. It was a nightmare for me, and I work in IT.

Now that I'm more competent in DAZ, I need to revisit this problem and see if I can get it working. But until then, I'm not buying more items I know I can't use, no matter how awesome they look.

Post edited by Llynara on

Just a heads up, since it's impossible for us to all surf exactly the same threads- if you're wondering about the dojos- and I have hers- Charlene is updating the old one to include Iray materials. If you have hers, popping in and saying thank you would be a nice thing to do. I appreciate vendors who take the time to surf the threads and go above and beyond to address conversations. Thank you @bluebird3d  

This discussion has been closed.