Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is there a way to set carrara to untick that 'u wrap' custom thingee by default?

• UncleZeeUncleZee Posts: 20
    edited March 2017

ignore

Post edited by UncleZee on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Interesting reporting bug issue.  See the following post.  Make of it what you will.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2276236/#Comment_2276236

Diomede said:

Ouch.

I reported this to DAZ as a bug.  And they agreed and passed it on.  However, part of the response was : "Unfortunately, since Carrara isn't being updated at the moment...., we can't guarantee when this will be updated but our Dev's will look at a fix for this bug" 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Note - I've tried editing out the Daz_Spooky quote box as it is unrelated but it won't delete from the top.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    Milo said:

But yeah, we'd all like them to show even a fraction of the same love towards Carrara. And Bryce. And Hexagon...

Daz management team has no love in their hearts, none whatsoever, except for the love of money of course.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    argus1000 said:
    Milo said:

But yeah, we'd all like them to show even a fraction of the same love towards Carrara. And Bryce. And Hexagon...

Daz management team has no love in their hearts, none whatsoever, except for the love of money of course.

Yeah, it would certainly be nice if DAZ showed some love to Carrara. But unfortunately I think it's clear that regular users don't expect to pay for software anymore. Businesses do I guess, but us regular people don't. It's all free.

And if DAZ can't make money by selling their software, because nobody wants to buy software, then the only way to make money is to give it away free to hook users to buy their figures and clothes and stuff. Like they do with the Studio. And Studio already serves that purpose, so why bother with Carrara?

And I think the Studio is free isn't it? And Blender is free. And I think you can even get a free version of Maya. And all of those have a lot more exciting features than Carrara. But I'm not familiar with Bryce and Hexagon. Are they like Carrara?

Maybe if it was my company I'd do the same. You know what they say, love doesn't pay the bills :) :)

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    ebergerly said:
    argus1000 said:
    Milo said:

Yeah, it would certainly be nice if DAZ showed some love to Carrara. But unfortunately I think it's clear that regular users don't expect to pay for software anymore. Businesses do I guess, but us regular people don't. It's all free.

And if DAZ can't make money by selling their software, because nobody wants to buy software, then the only way to make money is to give it away free to hook users to buy their figures and clothes and stuff. Like they do with the Studio. And Studio already serves that purpose, so why bother with Carrara?

And I think the Studio is free isn't it? And Blender is free. And I think you can even get a free version of Maya. And all of those have a lot more exciting features than Carrara. But I'm not familiar with Bryce and Hexagon. Are they like Carrara?

Maybe if it was my company I'd do the same. You know what they say, love doesn't pay the bills :) :)

You have hit the nail on the head. Even a large installed Carrara/Bryce/Hexagon base would not really add so much to DAZ content sales compared to DAZ Studio, which is the heart of their income.  Besides the trend is not towards a single universal 3D but the inter-operation of specialized 3D tool.

• Then why did they buy the rights to the software if they weren't going to support it???

I think there's many reasons a company would buy rights to software, and then not support it. Maybe because management changed its mind when the market changed. Maybe they thought people would spend a few hundred $$ for 3D software, and then Blender came along. Or maybe they changed their business model and decided not to sell software anymore. Or maybe they bought it to ensure nobody else could buy it and compete. Or maybe a little bit of all those things. Who knows?

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited May 2017

I think there are companies who care about the software they produce, like Auto desk and Adobe (and consumers are willing to pay dearly for it), and there are companies who don t care about the software they have, like Daz, who only use it to sell their content. And when they don't sell enough content, like Carrara, they are being dumped, like garbage. DAZ is not about producing good software, they are about selling content. Have you seen the day where there isn't a sale at Daz? 

Post edited by argus1000 on

Yeah, I don't know enough about DAZ and Carrara and stuff. Do you think if they spent a ton of money on Carrara and really cared about it that everyone would be willing to pay for Carrara so DAZ could make money on it? I mean, if they spent like a million $$ to upgrade Carrara would people pay for it so DAZ doesn't lose money and go out of business? With all the other free 3D apps out there (DAZ Studio and Blender and probably some others) would people pay for Carrara?

Heck, if it was me, I'd have a hard time paying $100 or more for Carrara when there's so much free stuff out there. I think Autodesk and Adobe have lucked out with the right apps designed for people who are willing to pay big bucks. Mostlly professionals I think who can pay the subscriptions. I don't own any of that stuff cuz I can't afford it. But that's probably why they care about their software, cuz people will spend big money on it.  

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

ebergerly,  I believe that nearly all Carrara users would be happy to pay for upgrades for it.  Since Carrara 4 I have only missed/skipped upgrading to Carrara 7.

Daz Studio I look at as a 3D content selling app for DAZ... you can't do much in it without buying a lot.  Just before DS 4.9 came out I dedicate quite a few months to finally learning it... so many times I ran into needing something in a scene that I can make easily in Carrara that I change course and have been spending more time the Carrara's Model Room making objects and later putting entire scenes which required not buying a thing.  I still buy much Daz content though simply because the content is cool, on sale or perhaps free.

Carrara, Blender and others are designed for content, scene render creation among many other things... all or rather nearly all 3D apps are also the source of 3d content sales at DAZ and others.

Together Daz Studio and Carrara work great together... especially if you are creating clothing and want to give it bones for a DAZ figure... among other things. Shaders are different as are others that I can't list right now.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

well I paid higher prices for all my upgrades.

I did however start out with a free version of C5 on a magazine disc.

I may not have ever gotten into Carrara if not for that, I was an iClone 3 user which I also got into using  the free watermaked limited version of initially.

After liking stuff I buy it generally, endless tries of various releases of Vue PLE has not gotten me to buy that yet!!!!

Poser 7 very cheap has led me to being consistently a version of Poser  behind with cheaper upgrades ever since.

carrara bundle has the
    genesis starter essentials and the
    genesis2 starter essentials.

for the symmetry,
    genesis 3 starter essentials in carrara d/loads would be nice.

any progress on geografts in carrara?

not from DAZ AFAIK

you or someone else may need to solve it.

th3Digit said:

not from DAZ AFAIK

you or someone else may need to solve it.

the trick is making it distribbleble preset, Double Doh

holey stagnation batman.

in the DC universe aquaman always been my favie 

edited July 2017

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2913066&#msg4310041

well that's it then

they want us to all just curl up and die angry

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

the 'not logged in' price is still up there, 285.00

notloggedinprice.JPG
    1094 x 733 - 116K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited July 2017

Where is the PDF manual to Carrara 8.5 Pro? When I open the manual in Carrara 8.5 Pro I get instead a PDF manual for Carrara 7.

As far as ever updating Carrara they may or they may not. I only know that when Genesis 8 was debuted that we were told 'big surprises' were in store for second half of '17 so sometime in Jul '17 - Dec '17.

So either they follow though on that or if they think 'surprise' means more nearly naked armor and more monster models, well the 24/7 Naked Lady Horror Theme is anything but new and surprising.  

** OK, I found a 8 year old Carrara 8 0.2 Beta Manual in another thread in this forum section so I'm guessing that's the most recent manual. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 305
    edited July 2017

There are tons of 3D software out there free or paid and I have tried couple of popular ones but still somehow Carrara seems pretty good, easy and fast 3D Product to me although it has not seen updates for last couple of years ( probably since 2014). Carrara is not alone; LightWave also has not seen new major version after LightWave 2015. I am just hoping that DAZ will come back to Carrara once they are done with roadmap for DAZ Studio.

It is very challenging and expensive to continue to maintain and upgrade giant 3D software products with limited resources. Looks like DAZ Studio is currently the main focus and hopefully Carrara will get its turn soon therefore I have decided to start learning DAZ Studio as well.

I noticed that some introductory paid or free 3D videos criticized Carrara a lot and praised Lightwave and others. At that point I almost stopped using Carrara but came back to it after trying out other software. Carrara still has its place in 3D world.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/154116/may-be-a-version-of-daz-studio-as-daz-studio-ultimate/p1

Post edited by Samuel S. on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited August 2017

Happy Four Years Anniversary

nothing since!  crying

'bout sums it up.

DZ_jared said:

After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Carrara 8.5 Pro is priced at $285.00 for a limited time. Carrara 8.5 Standard is priced at $149.95.

Current owners of Carrara will receive a 50% discount on either product for a limited time. Platinum Club members get an additional 40% off, which means it's never been a better time to join the Platinum Club.

Carrara 8.5 Pro
    Carrara 8.5 Standard

Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $250 worth of Genesis content.
    Carrara 8.5 standard ships with the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Starter Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $140 worth of Genesis content.

Here's a quick look at some of the new features:

Native DSON Importer means seamless integration of:
    - TriAx™ Weight Mapped figures (Genesis, G2F, G2M)
    - General Weight Mapped figures
    - Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
    - DSON presets
    - Scenes
    - Scene Subsets
    - Wearable(s) Preset
    - Character Preset
    - Properties Preset
    - Shaping Preset
    - Pose Preset
    - Hierarchical Material(s) Preset
    - Material(s) Preset
    - Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
    - Camera(s) Preset
    - Light(s) Preset
    - Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)

Native AutoFit functionality means:
    - Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAx™ weigh mapped figures
    - Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure's shape.
    - Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
    - Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.

Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
    - New keyboard shortcuts to:
    - Play/Stop animation
    - Advance the frame
    - Preview a frame
    - Key Frame Filters
    - Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
    - Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
    - Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
    - Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
    - Easily adjust timing
    - Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
    - Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
    - Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.

Smart Content and CMS Integration
    - Carrara can now access the CMS database; PostgreSQL or Valentina.
    - New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
    - File
    - Category
    - Product
    - File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
    - Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.

Parameters Actions
    - Zero, Memorize and Restore:
    - Figure
    - Figure Shape
    - Figure Pose
    - Selection
    - Selection Shape
    - Selection Pose
    - Selection Tree
    - Selection Tree Pose
    - Selection Tree Shape
    - Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
    - Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model's current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.

Improved Fit to Functionality
    - Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx™ Figures
    - No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx™ figure onto items conformed to the figure.

Improved Viewport Avatars
    - Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

Post edited by Stezza on
    Stezza said:

Happy Four Years Anniversary

nothing since!  crying

'bout sums it up.

DZ_jared said:

After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Carrara 8.5 Pro is priced at $285.00 for a limited time. Carrara 8.5 Standard is priced at $149.95.

Current owners of Carrara will receive a 50% discount on either product for a limited time. Platinum Club members get an additional 40% off, which means it's never been a better time to join the Platinum Club.

Carrara 8.5 Pro
    Carrara 8.5 Standard

Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $250 worth of Genesis content.
    Carrara 8.5 standard ships with the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Starter Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $140 worth of Genesis content.

Here's a quick look at some of the new features:

Native DSON Importer means seamless integration of:
    - TriAx™ Weight Mapped figures (Genesis, G2F, G2M)
    - General Weight Mapped figures
    - Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
    - DSON presets
    - Scenes
    - Scene Subsets
    - Wearable(s) Preset
    - Character Preset
    - Properties Preset
    - Shaping Preset
    - Pose Preset
    - Hierarchical Material(s) Preset
    - Material(s) Preset
    - Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
    - Camera(s) Preset
    - Light(s) Preset
    - Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)

Native AutoFit functionality means:
    - Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAx™ weigh mapped figures
    - Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure's shape.
    - Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
    - Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.

Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
    - New keyboard shortcuts to:
    - Play/Stop animation
    - Advance the frame
    - Preview a frame
    - Key Frame Filters
    - Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
    - Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
    - Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
    - Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
    - Easily adjust timing
    - Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
    - Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
    - Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.

Smart Content and CMS Integration
    - Carrara can now access the CMS database; PostgreSQL or Valentina.
    - New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
    - File
    - Category
    - Product
    - File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
    - Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.

Parameters Actions
    - Zero, Memorize and Restore:
    - Figure
    - Figure Shape
    - Figure Pose
    - Selection
    - Selection Shape
    - Selection Pose
    - Selection Tree
    - Selection Tree Pose
    - Selection Tree Shape
    - Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
    - Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model's current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.

Improved Fit to Functionality
    - Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx™ Figures
    - No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx™ figure onto items conformed to the figure.

Improved Viewport Avatars
    - Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

Happy Happy!

possible this may not be true ?

"- General Weight Mapped figures"

• Love how people are still commenting on this thread, thinking its gonna accomplish anything, Just get it through your heads people, Carrara and Bryce are dead, Move on 

and I have to remember there is a reason some are on ignore and not click view

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

They are not dead        No program is dead that has a thriving Community like both Bryce and Carrara do.

heartheart  update 8.5.2 ???

need a png update to support new png formats, to support the .png make ups for Olympia 8.

• BarzoffBarzoff Posts: 95
    Chohole said:

They are not dead        No program is dead that has a thriving Community like both Bryce and Carrara do.

Okay, Bryce and Carrara are not dead. Let's say they are cryogenized until the end of this century.laugh

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Barzoff said:
    Chohole said:

Okay, Bryce and Carrara are not dead. Let's say they are cryogenized until the end of this century.laugh

laughlaugh