Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Novica said:

Check out FD Odelle over at Renderosity. She's a gem for an older texture for G3F.

Thanks for the tip ... she's now wishlisted. :)

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    edited March 2017

Great sale today. Hard to beat G3 Pro Bundles at $25. Found several items purchased earlier in March were a better deal today, so I have a few credits coming. My 22nd item in the cart was AntFarm's Woodland Kobold and little does he know what a busy little boo he is going to be. I know he has no idea of his fate because he's opening his arms as if to say come to papa. Poor Kobold.

Edit: Kobold is screaming and kicking. Send me back. Whew! Thank god for duct tape!

2017-03-29-1e.JPG
    1281 x 968 - 71K
    2017-03-29-1g.JPG
    273 x 112 - 16K
    2017-03-29-1f.JPG
    970 x 1067 - 136K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

I was going to start another one of those "what is this outfit" threads, but then I thought "I know who has everything!" The people that do all the reviews. :D Soooo any one know what the outfit is?  https://www.daz3d.com/defender-poses-for-genesis-3-female-s

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2017

Here is a render of almost all of the vehicles I own. I've got an ATV and the Double Decker bus... I might have two of them... and some that are just objects that I have to export and texture by hand.

​So, I'm not an adult who plays with Virtual Barbie dolls...

​I also collect virtual Hot Wheels.

hotwheels.jpg
    1011 x 915 - 485K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Thanks for the outfit link Donovan. That is a lot of cars! I think I have one, I bought that rusted up old fashioned pickup truck, but I haven't had time to play with it yet. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    Novica said:

@dreamfarmer  Thanks for showing those and the explanation. It will help people determine what they need.
    @icedragonart   Appreciate the Knights of Valor  (and @bluebird3d   ) 

If anyone has Simple Elegance hair, does it take FOREVER to render? The image I posted above still looks pretty much the same but now at 3 hours and 42 minutes still showing 0%!!! I can't imagine what else it would be...

What size render is that? Over 1000 px? 

Yes, I think the height is 1200 px. It is STILL rendering! 14 hours and 27 minutes now up to 3%! This is just one G3 with the Simple Elegance hair and Slinky Suit outfit, no background.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,314
    ArtAngel said:

Great sale today. Hard to beat G3 Pro Bundles at $25. .......

I'm not sure how you are getting them for $25. I'm a bonus buyer and the lowest I can get the is $42.51 with 3 new releases in the cart.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Anyone pick up Virtual Reality Gear? Am curious how many mat zones the headphones have - whether it's all one zone, or more. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@donovancolbert   That's a great collection of cars and buses!  

@jakiblue   Unfortunately I am headed out the door to the barn so I can't test it, but I'm sure someone will step up and help you. Wow, the prices today. Thank you so much to the wonderful vendors for participating, we'll be sure and showcase them (and since they're such a great deal, I would appreciate some help in rendering those first. Share the love back to the vendors for today!) 

Yeah... if you're seeing G3 Pro Bundles below $40, you're experiencing one of the few glitches of this sale, I think. 

I just picked up VR Gear. Give me a second to download it and I'll check out the material zones on the earbuds. 

The car collection came from wanting to do a render with an every day car, and finding it very difficult to find one. It took me a long time to find cars that didn't look either ultra-luxury, old and stylized or super science fiction. 

Those couple of economy cars, the Z4, the Charger, the Range Rover... the VW Golf looking car... those are the ones I really like best - I'd like a BMW 3 series or a Camary... but when you find those models, they're always around $100 or more. 

There is a VW Bug that I see rendered all the time, and I don't know where to find it. I think it is old and no longer offered. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

There is a VW Bug that I see rendered all the time, and I don't know where to find it. I think it is old and no longer offered. 

There is one offered by Vanishing Point at Rendo and their site that has Iray shaders,

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506

I'm not sure how you are getting them for $25. I'm a bonus buyer and the lowest I can get the is $42.51 with 3 new releases in the cart.

It's 6.30 am here and I haven't had a coffee yet but I think the sale is over (it was yesterday) but I do know the price went higher when I removed one of the items I was waivering on. Just buying new didn't work for me yesterday. I had a higher price until I scoured the page several times to hunt down the targeted newly mad items. I did buy several unrelated new releases and also bought some items offered via an email. The price was 25 and some change. The lowest I have ever gotten pro bundles for was G1 for $6 and change, G3 for 14 and change. The most I ever paid was for Kenji 7 at  76.93 back on December 3rd. He was supposed to be free with this and that or dirt cheap, but when I checked out at 11 my time (12 Daz time), I didn't notice the price rolled up at the submit stage, until it was too late to get a refund, so if 25 plus was a glitch I'll call it even. I have learned to keep close tabs on everything and I check out immediately when a deal seems too good to be true because sometimes it is (prices can change, sometimes for the better or worse). Because during Christmas the Pro bundles hit an even lower price than yesterday, I am expecting tomorrow, Black Friday, or early April, may have similar sales.

Yup. There were a lot of things that had decent discounts this time around I didn't buy, because I'm waiting for epic discounts. 

If they never come, I'll never get that content. :) 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited March 2017

I just got this in the recent MM vehicle sale: 1955 EU Auto. Maybe not an exact VW but very close. This is a 50's version, the 60's had a bigger rear window and the late 60's had the super beetle with a curved front window (the car my wife owned when we met).

1955 Euro car.png
    838 x 826 - 394K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

That would work. The one at Vanishing Point, which I had never known before, was only $10. 

Vanishing Point has relatively affordable prices on realistic every day cars, compared to a lot of other places. 

@Jakiblue

Headset has material zones 

Band
    Bracket 1
    Bracket 2
    Ear Backs
    Ear Covers
    and Pivots

So you should be able to do anything you want with shaders. 

Here is a render of almost all of the vehicles I own. I've got an ATV and the Double Decker bus... I might have two of them... and some that are just objects that I have to export and texture by hand.

​So, I'm not an adult who plays with Virtual Barbie dolls...    ​I also collect virtual Hot Wheels.

Nice! I have a bunch myself.

The car collection came from wanting to do a render with an every day car, and finding it very difficult to find one. It took me a long time to find cars that didn't look either ultra-luxury, old and stylized or super science fiction. 

This is a big problem for making city scenes. There's just a handful of ordinary cars, then you have a bunch of luxury, specialty and race cars as you mention. They're OK for some scenes but not for ordinary, everyday life.

edited March 2017

This is a big problem for making city scenes. There's just a handful of ordinary cars, then you have a bunch of luxury, specialty and race cars as you mention. They're OK for some scenes but not for ordinary, everyday life.

Or for suburban neighborhoods - Middle America's driveway isn't full of Bentleys and limos and Lamborghinis. :) 

I think the problem is that cars are really detailed objects, they're protected intellectual property as far as design and trademarks are concerned, and their 3D models have commercial professional value - so if you can model a good, convincing one - there isn't a lot of incentive to make it a $10 or less prop - but folks like you and I don't want to spend more than that to create a population of vehicles for our average city streets. 

RockStar Games could probably make some significant extra revenue if they released a package of their cars from GTA inexpensively for 3D modeling in Poser and DAZ. 

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited March 2017
    jakiblue said:

Anyone pick up Virtual Reality Gear? Am curious how many mat zones the headphones have - whether it's all one zone, or more. 

VR Gear surfaces.JPG
    1078 x 1283 - 94K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Or for suburban neighborhoods - Middle America's driveway isn't full of Bentleys and limos and Lamborghinis. :) 

I think the problem is that cars are really detailed objects, they're protected intellectual property as far as design and trademarks are concerned, and their 3D models have commercial professional value - so if you can model a good, convincing one - there isn't a lot of incentive to make it a $10 or less prop - but folks like you and I don't want to spend more than that to create a population of vehicles for our average city streets. 

RockStar Games could probably make some significant extra revenue if they released a package of their cars from GTA inexpensively for 3D modeling in Poser and DAZ. 

If you're mainly looking for cars to fill in the background, Powerage makes a set of 20 lorez vehicles over at the R place, I use them for background all the time. They're not rigged or anything, no doors open, no wheels turn, but they do the job and take very little memory. I paid $8.50 for the whole set on sale. 

lorez-vehicles.JPG
    1786 x 1040 - 344K
    edited March 2017
    DSDT said:

If you're mainly looking for cars to fill in the background, Powerage makes a set of 20 lorez vehicles over at the R place, I use them for background all the time. They're not rigged or anything, no doors open, no wheels turn, but they do the job and take very little memory. I paid $8.50 for the whole set on sale. 

I've looked at those a couple of times but hesitated after looking at the promos. They look pretty good in your image.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited March 2017
    RGcincy said:
    DSDT said:

I've looked at those a couple of times but hesitated after looking at the promos. They look pretty good in your image.

They look even better when you use them a little further out with depth of field to soften the focus. I did change a couple of the textures in photoshop, if I remember the bus had a white top, which I thought looked strange, and one of the passenger cars was pink. 

Here's a quick render of 2000 vehicles, 100 instances of 20 vehicles, the render took 33 seconds to finish.

2000 lorez-30 seconds.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by FrankTheTank on

Thanks for showing, those can really fill out an area

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

Some one asked for a render of the Knights of Valor for Gen3M.

Edited to add, the poke through at the top on the torso armor is my fault as I did not dial the morph for Darius 7 into the clothes. There is a morph there and it works perfectly, I just forgot to do it.  Once i did it fit over the the other parts perfectly.  Also, the only reason his head is at that angle is because its part of the pose I picked lol.  Has nothing to do with the neck its find when his head is in a normal position.

Thanks for posting this. I'm relieved to see that the sword and other metals bits look, well, metallic. In the product's own promo pics they look like they're grey plastic - almost like a Lego knight instead of a real one. Are there morphs to stop the skirt flying up in the gravity-defying way it does in the promos? 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

The skirt pieces do have movement morphs that work well.  And I was a bit worried as well because in the render view port while setting up the scene, they also look very matte and plastic.  But clearly, the shiny bits render shine as they should

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Thank you Barbult!! 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

That would work. The one at Vanishing Point, which I had never known before, was only $10. 

Vanishing Point has relatively affordable prices on realistic every day cars, compared to a lot of other places. 

Hi donovancolbert!

Just be cautious about buying the VanishingPoint cars at RMP-- not all of them will work as expected in DazStudio.

Some models made for POSER seem to work fine in DazStudio but of course will need texture and shader adjustments since glass, chrome and other stuff set up for Poser won't look good in DS.  Nationale7's 1961 Lincoln Continental is an example of a car I bought at RMP that is POSER-ONLY and states not tested in or supported for  DazStudio, but after I re-did the mats for 3DL/DazStudio it worked super, and then later when Iray hit, I updated that car to Iray shaders/mats and it is great.

After that good outcome, I bought VanishingPoint's PT CRUISER thinking it'd be the same deal.   That car DOES NOT work correctly in DazStudio. 

When I got it I was using (i think) DS vers 4.6 and when you'd open the doors or hatchback etc, the door swings open correctly, but the opening fills in with body-colored material, as if the skin of the car simply streches like spandex, letting the door or hatch move but keeping the edges all seamlessly connected to the rest of the car's body.  Just now I tried to load an old scene from when I was trying to re-Texturize/shader this car and the newer dazStudio v4.8 I'm currently using does the exact same thing still.  This model seemed oddly made even when I got it and was using it in DS4.6; not just the stretching membrane effect on opening doors/hatches---   all the body panels and detail parts were persistently outlined in solid black edges, which made it look like a drawing or illustration. Even using new shaders and removing tx maps left outlines which I could never figure out how to eliminate, like they were baked into the model somehow.  

So, I wouldn't recommend this model for DazStudio, unless you're content to use it as an "extra" to fill a scene and not as a "star" and can live without opening the doors and hatch when using it in DS.  I would be cautious about other VP vehicles, for the same reasons.   As i recall from looking through their catalog a while back, some of their vehicles "look" similarly outlined and suggest they're made the same way or in same software/process as the PT Cruiser, and would be similarly not great in DS, but some of their models "look" different and may be okay.  I personally haven't been inclined to play roulette.  By now, with the rise of Iray, they may be making DS compatible models, so that'd be okay when they specifically state that. (and to be clear, I'm not throwing shade here at VP because of this PT Cruiser model because I knowingly bought it despite it being labeled POSER only, and was willing to take the chance so VP bears no blame to me.)

To illustrate: first picture is #DL RENDER from DS4.6-- I may have changed difuse color of the car, maybe started messing with the glass, but basically this is how it came into DS4.6 when I got it.

I started re-TXing it to be more DS/3DL kosher so the rest of these images show paint and chrome wip.  The Next image is the car in the DS4.6 workspace showing the car's hierarchy- body, chassis, doors etc.

Next picture shows car's PARAMETER TAB with DOOR open/close control and the DOOR OPEN in the preview in the DS4.6 workspace.

Last, a 3DL RENDER from DS4.6 of the car with DOOR OPEN showing the "membrane-stretching" effect that happens when you open (regardless of how much or little, btw) a door or the hatchback. You can also see, despite the new paintjob and who knows how many frustrating hours spent trying to eradicate them, the colored outlines instead of actual gaps between the doors and panels etc, though with the more DS-specific paintjob, they are not quite as objectionable as they were before but still aren't right.

As I mentioned, I tried this in the newer DS4.8 I use nowadays and the same thing happened. I have not installed DS4.9 so I can't confirm or deny it but expect the same results in that version as these older 2 versions.

Anyhow... this experience disabused me of the notion that any model that worked in Poser would work just the same in DS, just would need new mats. :)

Hope this is of interest to you, and any others who like cars in their runtimes that have maybe been kicking the tires of some POSER-ONLY products. :)

--- Gen

1 - VP ptCruiser in DSv4pt6.jpg
    480 x 742 - 107K
    3- VP ptCruiser in DSv4point6 workspace.JPG
    1003 x 833 - 99K
    4- VP ptCruiser in DSv4point6 workspace.JPG
    1026 x 823 - 111K
    5- RENDERcrop vp PTcruiser re-tx wip ds4pt6.jpg
    681 x 742 - 446K
This discussion has been closed.