JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

As long as July Szark? Things sound pretty bad. Still, perhaps you can still tease us with your Blender art until your PC is back up and running.

On another note, how has this thread gone six whole pages without a Jack Tomalin art piece? Unacceptable! I shall remedy this problem hence forth.

Link_mini.jpg
    800 x 800 - 548K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

LOL HeraldOfFire Tease...I don't tease do I? I use Blender for modelling. I have dabbled with LuxBlend and Cycles but not enough to make anything yet. Not sure if the Laptop would handle it. I am seriously think Reality 3 for Daz Studio when it comes out later this year. My timing should be good unless Paolo has delays. The point being with waiting longer I will be able to afford a computer that will help with using Reality etc. I wanting one of the hair plug-ins eventually. With waiting I will see who wins out in terms of easiness to use and the results it gives. I am still on the fence at the moment.

Nic pic. Love the colour contrast...don't see this type of thing that often.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL HeraldOfFire Tease...I don't tease do I? I use Blender for modelling. I have dabbled with LuxBlend and Cycles but not enough to make anything yet. Not sure if the Laptop would handle it. I am seriously think Reality 3 for Daz Studio when it comes out later this year. My timing should be good unless Paolo has delays. The point being with waiting longer I will be able to afford a computer that will help with using Reality etc. I wanting one of the hair plug-ins eventually. With waiting I will see who wins out in terms of easiness to use and the results it gives. I am still on the fence at the moment.

Nic pic. Love the colour contrast...don't see this type of thing that often.

Thanks, I'm experimenting with new styles lately. I'm interested to see what Reality 3 will bring to the table, especially with regards to specific skin shaders, though it'll be a long while before we see a version available for Daz Studio, and my existing copy of Poser is too out of date to use Genesis figures, so no joy with the March release for that either.
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,114
    edited December 1969

As long as July Szark? Things sound pretty bad. Still, perhaps you can still tease us with your Blender art until your PC is back up and running.

On another note, how has this thread gone six whole pages without a Jack Tomalin art piece? Unacceptable! I shall remedy this problem hence forth.

Nice :) interesting tone there!

edited December 1969

Realtiy 3 for Daz Studio is tabled for June/July which is not long at all really :)

edited December 1969

Not at all, considering January is almost done and dusted!

Thats like nearly 9 months married now .. wtf!! lol!!

Gah, anniversary present!

edited December 1969

LOL Funny. I just had this vision of Jack sitting at his computer, to the side is a wall with a series of tally marks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, cross, that's one week and counting.

edited December 1969

I wish! lol.. it's flying by at a rate I can't even comprehend at the moment!

edited December 1969

You think it is bad now give it another 10 years, blink and a few months go by in a flash. Yep when I was so much younger 6 months was a life time to wait now it a breeze to do. :)

But Jack consider the hours you work. That must play its part on how time seems to fly by. I have noticed when I am in Blender concentrating and getting in to the zone, hours pass like it was 10 mins. I have zoned out so much 5 hours I was modeling without a break, without a fresh cuppa or any pickme up. Didn't realise the time until I came up for air. That happened often towards the end of last year.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

I've done the same thing. I think all modelers have ran into it. You get started on something and get so into it the world around you doesn't exist.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You think it is bad now give it another 10 years, blink and a few months go by in a flash. Yep when I was so much younger 6 months was a life time to wait now it a breeze to do. :)

But Jack consider the hours you work. That must play its part on how time seems to fly by. I have noticed when I am in Blender concentrating and getting in to the zone, hours pass like it was 10 mins. I have zoned out so much 5 hours I was modeling without a break, without a fresh cuppa or any pickme up. Didn't realise the time until I came up for air. That happened often towards the end of last year.

Yea, going onto 'autopilot' is fatal..!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Yea, going onto 'autopilot' is fatal..!
    Only when you're flying. :-)

Seriously though, I've found myself doing the same whether I'm modelling or setting up a scene. All of a sudden I'm hungry because it's time for dinner, and I'm wondering where the heck the day went. ~shakes head~

edited December 1969

I had dinner at 3pm today because I didn't realise how much time had passed since I started on my work. The first notice I got that perhaps I'd left it too long is my stomach making growling sounds above 100 decibels.

edited December 1969

That's an early dinner time. We don't eat till 5:30

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Some people have Dinner at Lunchtime, and Tea or Supper in the evening, so I would thing HoF was late for his Lunch rather than early for Dinner as you would see it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Well, it's a bit too late to consider it 'lunch' so it's more like a dinner and lunch combined by that point... supper at 7!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Some people have Dinner at Lunchtime, and Tea or Supper in the evening, so I would thing HoF was late for his Lunch rather than early for Dinner as you would see it.

AH, yeah I forgot about that

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well, it's a bit too late to consider it 'lunch' so it's more like a dinner and lunch combined by that point... supper at 7!

Now that's a point. If you have a late breakfast, which could be an early lunch it is called "Brunch" so what is a late lunch/early dinner called, would it be a Lunner ?

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Dinch... or Dunch... sounds more judgemental ;-).

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You think it is bad now give it another 10 years, blink and a few months go by in a flash. Yep when I was so much younger 6 months was a life time to wait now it a breeze to do. :) .

There is a perfectly logical explanation of that. The longest period of time the human brain can possible grasp the reality of is a 1/7 of the lifetime the person have lived.

When you are seven, one year is forever!
    When you are 50 seven years are forever!
    When you are 70, ten years are forever!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Okay you great bunch of guys (&gals;) this is a bit off topic (sorry Jack) but after 35 years of smoking cigarettes, I've decided I'm gonna quit ... I'm trying the vapor replacement ...and this is day 2 of no cigarettes ....... hoping to be able to even give up the vapor(nicotine) by July.
    Could use thoughts ,ideas,encouragement , what the heck do people who don't smoke do when they are bored?frustrated?mad?I used a cigarette to get through alot of those ....now .....ummm I'm stumped .....

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Okay you great bunch of guys (&gals;) this is a bit off topic (sorry Jack) but after 35 years of smoking cigarettes, I've decided I'm gonna quit ... I'm trying the vapor replacement ...and this is day 2 of no cigarettes ....... hoping to be able to even give up the vapor(nicotine) by July.
    Could use thoughts ,ideas,encouragement , what the heck do people who don't smoke do when they are bored?frustrated?mad?I used a cigarette to get through alot of those ....now .....ummm I'm stumped .....

I gave up some years back, after around 20 years of smoking. Happily I was able to just stop. It was the second time I had 'stopped', the first time was de-railed by job moving, house searching, meeting old friends (who smoked) and, probably, not really the will to stop. The seconf (and final!) time I had decided to stop (on a particular date) as I was damned if the government was going to dictate to me the where and whens I could smoke. There was also the monetary consideration - it is scary when you work out how much per year you spend on the wretched things - at the time I think I was spending around 20-25 pounds per week, but that equates to over a grand a year!

The main thing is 'the will'. You really need to want to give up, not just think 'oh, this would be a good idea'. Beware of 'habits'. I found the need for a cigarette was not only tied to the addiction but also to habits - finish a meal; grab a coffee and spark up ... get a pint, and spark up ... have a knotty problem to think about, and spark up ...

Be wary of 'substitutes' - having something in your mouth can be a great distractor from some of the 'craving's, but be careful of then getting 'addicted' to sweeties and biscuits!

Tell your friends and family to keep tabs on you and ask them for moral support - even if it's 'just' to keep your mind off the need to have a cigarette. I have to admit I am not sure about this one as I didn't actually tell anyone I had quit until they started noticing I wasn't as I am bloody minded enough to not want to rely on others.

Above all - as I said, want to give up. Think of what you'll be able to buy yourself with the money you are saving. Think about your clothes not reeking of smoke - this will amaze and worry you - after a while you will spot other smokers when they enter a room, just by the whiff of smoke. You (and others) smell like that now!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited January 2013

Reinstall (and reorganise) all your content ;-).

Post edited by M F M on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

I gave up some years back, after around 20 years of smoking. Happily I was able to just stop. It was the second time I had 'stopped', the first time was de-railed by job moving, house searching, meeting old friends (who smoked) and, probably, not really the will to stop. The seconf (and final!) time I had decided to stop (on a particular date) as I was damned if the government was going to dictate to me the where and whens I could smoke. There was also the monetary consideration - it is scary when you work out how much per year you spend on the wretched things - at the time I think I was spending around 20-25 pounds per week, but that equates to over a grand a year!

The main thing is 'the will'. You really need to want to give up, not just think 'oh, this would be a good idea'. Beware of 'habits'. I found the need for a cigarette was not only tied to the addiction but also to habits - finish a meal; grab a coffee and spark up ... get a pint, and spark up ... have a knotty problem to think about, and spark up ...

Be wary of 'substitutes' - having something in your mouth can be a great distractor from some of the 'craving's, but be careful of then getting 'addicted' to sweeties and biscuits!

Tell your friends and family to keep tabs on you and ask them for moral support - even if it's 'just' to keep your mind off the need to have a cigarette. I have to admit I am not sure about this one as I didn't actually tell anyone I had quit until they started noticing I wasn't as I am bloody minded enough to not want to rely on others.

Above all - as I said, want to give up. Think of what you'll be able to buy yourself with the money you are saving. Think about your clothes not reeking of smoke - this will amaze and worry you - after a while you will spot other smokers when they enter a room, just by the whiff of smoke. You (and others) smell like that now!

Well I think I have the will to quit,I've been told I'm stubborn:smirk: ,but I do agree it's not just the addiction to the nicotine ,but the habits ,and I think those are the hardest ,the finish a meal - cig ,and the just before going to bed - cig .......... well at least I don't have to worry about the after sex - cig,:roll: (gave that up as a bad habit already) already working on the light-up as soon as I get in the car ...... and even though I'm useing the e-cig ,I'm trying to make myself wait before giving into the urge.I suppose the biggest plus is I've always been pretty much housebroken ,and didn't smoke inside the house ........
    MFM .......umm yeah been there done that ,it made me want to smoke more!!;-) Soooo I think I'll hold off on that for a bit anyway.
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:

Can't say I've ever smoked, so won't give you any real advice - but I want to just say good luck and stick with it.. it's better for your health, after all!

I've heard of people putting the money they would spend on cigarettes into a jar, so you can visually see the fruits of your hard work.. and more money will mean more 3D content! Which is much better for your health, lol

edited December 1969

I'm just glad that the only addictions I currently have are a craving for chocolates and a love of video games. Though, some of my good friends would argue that they aren't doing my health much more good than cigarettes either.

edited December 1969

I'm just glad that the only addictions I currently have are a craving for chocolates and a love of video games. Though, some of my good friends would argue that they aren't doing my health much more good than cigarettes either.

Well, you can offset those risks with a bit of exercise.. sadly with smoking, you can't really do much to mitigate the effects. :)

edited December 1969

Carrie just replace the brown horrible plant with the green one in your vapouriser and you want even think about brown plant of doom again.

Ok seriously I smoked and so did Christine and cold turkey for us was the only way to go. Two days and the nictotine addiction goes so that just leaves the habit side as Simon has already talked about. Jack's idea of putting your cig money in to a jar does work depending on how much you smoke and what your finaces are like as a norm.

I just thought about my health and the health of others around me...money was a secondary bonus...though I only smoked less then ten a day for a large number of years it was still hard and needed a lot of positive mental attitude.

Good luck

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Szark said:
    You think it is bad now give it another 10 years, blink and a few months go by in a flash. Yep when I was so much younger 6 months was a life time to wait now it a breeze to do. :) .

There is a perfectly logical explanation of that. The longest period of time the human brain can possible grasp the reality of is a 1/7 of the lifetime the person have lived.

When you are seven, one year is forever!
    When you are 50 seven years are forever!
    When you are 70, ten years are forever!

Perfect Totte.....LOL

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Perfect Totte.....LOL

It's from an article in Scientific American by a professor in neurology so it do bear some relevance I think.
This discussion has been closed.