Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2017

Added under Tips in Reference post of this thread (second post)

Mocap Animations- Free

SubD- How To Add It.

So when you want to find it, go to the M's and S's. It's by topic.

Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,693

I have a lot of questions I'm embarrassed to ask in the Commons or even the Newbie section because I've been here a year now. Is it OK to ask them here? Like is there a way to put the generic Genesis characters (1,2,3) in an easily accessible place so you don't have to look for them each time? And during autofit when it asks what character the outfit was originally for, is there a way to know without having to look it up on the Daz site? (A lot of outfits don't say.) And I had a bunch more questions earlier but my brain is fried... And then there are more advanced things, I'd love to know and I REALLY wish someone would write a full comprehensive manual! It's like Daz is keeping most of its software's functionality a secret just like its keeping the green banner a secret. I just don't get it...

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited March 2017

You can right click on each thumbnail in your Content Library and create a custom action.

This will create a new entry in Scripts. Now you can quick load the figures there.

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2017

Posted on my thread, thought I'd add it here too: 

Some great DSON stuff on sale today that works well both forwards and backwards- bring it forward for Genesis 2 and 3, or backwards for Generations 3 and 4. Some even have fits going back to V3! A few I picked up very cheaply: 

• Skychaser- Very cool action suit with fits for Generations 3, 4 and 5. Looks like it has multiple material zones for lots of customization. Will verify that soon.
    • The Time Traveler- really cool sci fi outfit with funky helmet and fits for Generations 3, 4 and 5
    • Dark Raven Reloaded- Huge multi piece action bodysuit set with weapons, poses and fits for Generations 4 and 5
    • Lorella Elf Bundle- character and a gorgeous fantasy outfit that has many fits for Generations 4 and 5

A few others I picked up for kit bashing and flexibility (since Genesis fits both men and women:)

• Stalker Girl Hair- long hair style for anyone
    • Space Age Behemoth- another great customizable body suit, fitting the largest and smallest characters in your runtime
    • Gladiator- nice items for kit bashing, good lines for retexturing
    • Horned Barbarian- lots of pieces for kit bashing, looks cool
    • The Executioner- awesome pieces in this outfit, unique, hot yet kind of creepy too. Could work for fantasy, historical and horror renders
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Playing with Melody. Let's see if I can upload this.

Hmm... No idea how to upload an animated .gif and have it work.

Rats....

Wow, so cool! Did you do actual choreography on it? That is amazing! Another thing I still have to learn, animation...

Mixamo.com has thousands of mocap animations. Adobe bought them out and made everything free. You can create a animation for any character A3/H3-G2F/G2M, last time I tried I couldnt get G3F/G3M to work due to the different skeleton. (I create a separate aniamtion for each morph/character, because it works better, with the exception that Mixamo can't handle Melody directly, so I used Aiko3, her base.)

Anyway, tons of great mocaps of almost everything you can think of totally free. Makes me sorry I bought so many aniblock packages for Animate2. Because I haven't used a single one in animating a video game project, and I have a LOT of animations between all the game characters. Mixamo is WAY better than the aniblocks, imo, much better movement and did I mention there were thousands of different animations? Free is also fantastic!  

Long story short: You export an .fbx of your character from DAZ Studio, upload to Mixamo, find the animation you want, apply it to your character, export the animation from Mixamo and download, import that to DAZ Studio, then use MCasual's pose/animation copy script to apply it to your DAZ character. You can create an aniblock from that animation or use it raw if you don't plan to re-use it in other scenes. Mixamo stores each character, so you only need to upload it once. There's a chrome console script that lets you grab all the animations for each character you've uploaded to Mixamo. Then you just download them as you need them. 

The details are more detailed, lol. Which reminds me, I have to update my notes for myself. Maybe I'll sleep first. ;)

is the program itself free?

@wonderland please don't ever be afraid to ask anything.  I have been here for a year and a half and I am constantly running into all kinds of things I don't know, don't understand, or have no idea what it is or what it does.  The only way to find out is by asking.  I do that a lot lol.  Fortunately everyone here (as in all of the different areas of the forums) has been and continues to be a set of the most helpful and patient people I have ever run into.  This program has soooo many different options and things to learn I have a feeling I will still be asking a lot of questions for the next several years lol!

edited March 2017

The thread is to showcase products, get tips, and get help. Ask away! yes  I've been here since 2012 and I haven't ever used LIE. I'm just now trying the joint editing tool. It's not how long you've been here, it's what you've bothered to use, or want to use. And if you don't use something, you totally forget HOW. (Like GenX. Sigh, I'm going to have to start from scratch on that thing- again.)  Be sure and check out the References, second post, because I started putting things in that for ME because I just can't remember what all these things do. You won't get anyone laughing at you on this thread, believe me, because there's too much to remember unless you use it ALL the time. (Edit- and a lot of the real pros (including vendors) surf this thread since it's been around for years, and are SO nice to help out.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Playing with Melody. Let's see if I can upload this.

Hmm... No idea how to upload an animated .gif and have it work.

Rats....

Wow, so cool! Did you do actual choreography on it? That is amazing! Another thing I still have to learn, animation...

Mixamo.com has thousands of mocap animations. Adobe bought them out and made everything free. You can create a animation for any character A3/H3-G2F/G2M, last time I tried I couldnt get G3F/G3M to work due to the different skeleton. (I create a separate aniamtion for each morph/character, because it works better, with the exception that Mixamo can't handle Melody directly, so I used Aiko3, her base.)

Anyway, tons of great mocaps of almost everything you can think of totally free. Makes me sorry I bought so many aniblock packages for Animate2. Because I haven't used a single one in animating a video game project, and I have a LOT of animations between all the game characters. Mixamo is WAY better than the aniblocks, imo, much better movement and did I mention there were thousands of different animations? Free is also fantastic!  

Long story short: You export an .fbx of your character from DAZ Studio, upload to Mixamo, find the animation you want, apply it to your character, export the animation from Mixamo and download, import that to DAZ Studio, then use MCasual's pose/animation copy script to apply it to your DAZ character. You can create an aniblock from that animation or use it raw if you don't plan to re-use it in other scenes. Mixamo stores each character, so you only need to upload it once. There's a chrome console script that lets you grab all the animations for each character you've uploaded to Mixamo. Then you just download them as you need them. 

The details are more detailed, lol. Which reminds me, I have to update my notes for myself. Maybe I'll sleep first. ;)

Yes. No charge for Mixamo at all. Free account; free animations. But I'm using the script to add all the animations for each character under my owned assets on my Mixamo account in case they decide to start charging one day.

MN-150374 said:

You can right click on each thumbnail in your Content Library and create a custom action.

This will create a new entry in Scripts. Now you can quick load the figures there.

Oh, great, thanks! 

Novica said:

The thread is to showcase products, get tips, and get help. Ask away! yes  I've been here since 2012 and I haven't ever used LIE. I'm just now trying the joint editing tool. It's not how long you've been here, it's what you've bothered to use, or want to use. And if you don't use something, you totally forget HOW. (Like GenX. Sigh, I'm going to have to start from scratch on that thing- again.)  Be sure and check out the References, second post, because I started putting things in that for ME because I just can't remember what all these things do. You won't get anyone laughing at you on this thread, believe me, because there's too much to remember unless you use it ALL the time. (Edit- and a lot of the real pros (including vendors) surf this thread since it's been around for years, and are SO nice to help out.)

Great, thanks! I've had Gen X for a while now and still haven't tried it because my brain is already exploding. And  today I looked at all the choices under camera and lenses and am so curious what they do-- stereoscopic lens? Can we make renders that will look 3D with glasses? Or The ability to create side by side images that would work for VR in a Google Cardboard headset? That would be so cool.  If I had a GPU computer, I'd experiment with all these things but with my so sloooooow rendering, I can't just poke around and see what happens like the way I taught myself Photoshop (although there are still tons of stuff I can still learn there too.) But, I suppose, if nothing else, learning all this stuff, constantly learning new things, will hopefully prevent Alzheimer's later in life LOL. Still just wish they would make a damn manual! 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

@Wonderland, there's a good tutorial on youtube on how to use GenX - makes it look incredibly easy. I've used it myself. I'll find the link and post it for you. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited March 2017

Found it: very easy to follow 

https://youtu.be/cYCapNih-A4

Post edited by jakiblue on
    jakiblue said:

Oh great, thanks! 

edited March 2017
    jakiblue said:

Thank you, Jakiblue! Added the link to the GenX-Tutorial list: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2178136/#Comment_2178136

LOL or you could have used MY REFERENCES in the second post of this thread,  which has the post with the links. Been there for ages. 

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

LOL or you could have used MY REFERENCES in the second post of this thread,  which has the post with the links. Been there for ages. 

If you are aware of more GenX tutorials keep them coming. I will try to collect everything GenX related there. wink

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Novica said:

I would love to learn how to use the joint editor. I don't understand that thing at all, but am trying to fix a collar on an M4 shirt that gets broken when it autofits to a G2M. The outfit is The Marquis by Uzilite, and it's gorgeous, but that collar crinkles up terribly and I have to Photoshop it to fix it. And of course, Hugh insists on wearing THAT one on my next Black Kat book cover. I've tried a dozen outfits. Nope. The Marquis is the one, and Hugh refuses to be anything other than a G2M, LOL. Story people are a pain in the butt!

Yes. No charge for Mixamo at all. Free account; free animations. But I'm using the script to add all the animations for each character under my owned assets on my Mixamo account in case they decide to start charging one day.

Thanks!  I didnt think I was going to be interested in animations... But I can see trying it in the future, so I may have to set up a folder just in case lol...

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I have a lot of questions I'm embarrassed to ask in the Commons or even the Newbie section because I've been here a year now. Is it OK to ask them here? Like is there a way to put the generic Genesis characters (1,2,3) in an easily accessible place so you don't have to look for them each time? And during autofit when it asks what character the outfit was originally for, is there a way to know without having to look it up on the Daz site? (A lot of outfits don't say.) And I had a bunch more questions earlier but my brain is fried... And then there are more advanced things, I'd love to know and I REALLY wish someone would write a full comprehensive manual! It's like Daz is keeping most of its software's functionality a secret just like its keeping the green banner a secret. I just don't get it...

I've been lurking and buying stuff for a few years, but only using DAZ seriously for a few months. I kept starting, managing a primitive project or two, and quitting due to frustration and a lack of time. It would be awesome if there were a manual, but this time around, I'm spending a LOT of time on the forums, and I've been asking questions when I get stuck if I couldn't find a previous forum thread. Getting help from others has made all the difference, and I feel as if I am finally making progress, although still a major newbie. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2017

Here is a Little Contest - Win a $5 GC

I will award a $5 Daz Store Gift Card to the first person who correctly identifies the head shaping preset I used in these images. Both renders use the same shape, with different materials on the character. I purchased the product in the Daz Store. The contest will end when somebody figures it out, or on Tuesday, March 28 at 23:59:59 local DAZ time. What is your guess?
    (Novica gave me permission to run this little contest in her Art Studio. Thanks, Novica!)

Edit: Clues added 3/25/2017 9:05 pm EDT

Clue 1: The base character I used is a female and one of the Genesis generations (Genesis, Genesis 2, or Genesis 3, you figure it out).

Clue 2: The product containing the shaping preset is made for that female base. No cross gender or cross generation tools were used.

Edit: Clue 3 added 3/26/2017 at 12:06 am EDT

Clue 3: The product does not come with a skin. It is a shaping only product for Genesisi 3 Female. That should eliminte an awful lot of products! It is not a "character".

Edit: Clues 4 and 5 added 3/36/2017 at 1:08 pm EDT

Clue 4: The product contains more than one shaping preset. The main product promo shows a different one than the one I chose. You have to look at the additional product promo images to see the preset that I used. You can't just skim through the store pages and look at the main product thumbnail.

Clue 5: The first letter of both the vendor name and the product name are in the last half of the alphabet.
    Edit to clue 5: Oops - there are multiple vendors listed. Not all are in the last half of the alphabet.

Contest Closed - We have a winner!

@Ferretmania correctly identified the product as UltraGenesis Faces of G. I used the Gumdrop Granny preset.

Who am I 1.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Who am I 2.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Umm, you? (I actually have no idea if you're a man or woman or how old you are LOL)

Umm, you? (I actually have no idea if you're a man or woman or how old you are LOL)

No, I am a woman, but that is not me. It is a shaping preset I bought in the Daz Store.

barbult said:

No, I am a woman, but that is not me. It is a shaping preset I bought in the Daz Store.

Oh, I was thinking it was FaceGen...

edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Oh, I was thinking it was FaceGen...

Oh! Smart guess!!! But nope, try again. I did not use Facegen or One Click or any of those things.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Here is a Little Contest - Win a $5 GC

I will award a $5 Daz Store Gift Card to the first person who correctly identifies the head shaping preset I used in these images. Both renders use the same shape, with different materials on the character. I purchased the product in the Daz Store. The contest will end when somebody figures it out, or on Tuesday, March 28 at 23:59:59 local DAZ time. What is your guess?
    (Novica gave me permission to run this little contest in her Art Studio. Thanks, Novica!)

FW Joanie? This looks like it could be her.

https://www.daz3d.com/fw-joanie-hd

IMG_3881.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 446K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
    dawnblade said:

No, one uses her skin, but not her morph.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I'm guessing George?

This discussion has been closed.