Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

I also just found out that Polygon Pictures which has a couple well known 3d anime on Netflix uses a their own render engine build on 3Delight

http://www.ppi.co.jp/news_release/ppipr20170310_maneki/

http://maneki.sh

Maneki looks just plain out awesome. And Paolo Berto has been using the "photosurrealism" (mixing NPR with PBR) term for a while already, it's a lovely style.

• FaxMisherFaxMisher Posts: 102
    FaxMisher said:

Here's something I've been working on for awhile - but I decided to try and go for a NPR render this time. ( I rendered it in 3DL and than did postwork in Photoshop )

I like the image itself (and the expression is GREAT). Not sure I'm a big fan of the grainy dots, though. Of course, that could just be my preference, and no reflection on the work itself. 

Yeah, I went back and forth on the dots too. I just started using PS CC in the last couple months and the interface is all crazy. Plus there's so many new tools that've been added, I don't know where to go or what to use. I'm used to CS 6, and I've been focusing on 3D modeling for about a year now, so my 'shopping skills have dulled in the meantime. Since I'm learning about creating and editing textures now, PS is on my syllabus and I figure experimenting with some NPR's is a good exercise. Cool thread.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Starfire from DC comics.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

Starfire from DC comics.

Beautifully done!

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    edited March 2017

I've been watching this thread for awhile and trying to take notes.

These are my first successful attempts at using LineRender9000, with different postwork effects. It started out as Joan of Arc, but then morphed into this... Rendered in Daz 4.9, 3DL. Postwork using Painter Essentials 5 and OnOne.

I'd appreciate some constructive feedback on general style, use of LR9k, postwork, composition, or anything else. I'm trying to learn. Thank you!

The Elven Dragon Huntress

DH illustrated.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 553K
    DH oil.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 518K
    DH pastel.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 480K
    DH watercolor sketch.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 538K
    dragon hunter copy.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 630K
    Post edited by Holloko on
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Holloko, very nice work, I can't offer much as It looks great to me.  I will let others with a more critical eye offer up advice.  Is LR9K used in all of the images uploaded?  Thanks for sharing!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    edited March 2017

I've been away from this thread for a while and just looked through the last several pages and am seeing some amazing work! I personally prefer postwork in Photoshop rather than rendering because I just don't understand DS well enough yet to have control of what I'm doing.  This was an IRay render that took forever on my CPU only computer and looked pretty photorealistic but then I just went postwork crazy...  I'm really thinking of going back to Poser and V4 for a while until I can get a box for my Mac with an NVIDIA card. It seems silly to waste so much time on a photorealistic render, then just destroy it in Photoshop LOL. This was not a grainy render and then I made it grainy in Photoshop. Go figure!

I know this is a little out there but I think it was like 4:00AM...

IMG_3855.JPG
    868 x 1008 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Y'all have some amazing pictures. :)

edited March 2017
    Holloko said:

These are my first successful attempts at using LineRender9000, with different postwork effects. It started out as Joan of Arc, but then morphed into this... Rendered in Daz 4.9, 3DL. Postwork using Painter Essentials 5 and OnOne.

I'd appreciate some constructive feedback on general style, use of LR9k, postwork, composition, or anything else. I'm trying to learn. Thank you!

That one is my favorite. The lines look great and it has a really nice illustrated/painted look. Well done! 

By the way, that's really outstanding composition! Your eye is drawn to her face first due to the high color contrast there (orange against blue) and how well lit the face is, then the curve of her weapon draws your eye to the threat, the dragon, and then the shape/curve of the dragon's wings draw your eyes down to her mount. But the curves of the armor spikes on her mount keeps your eyes from "falling off" the page and back up. With the direction that the mount's ears are pointing in and the direction of the spikes of it's armor it leads the eye back to the character. I don't know if you did that on purpose but it really came out beautifully composed! 

Post edited by 3Diva on

Starfire from DC comics.

Beautifully done!

Thank you! :D That's nice of you to say!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    edited March 2017

No, I'm not on drugs, but I may have a fever... Feeling under the weather today so took a simple render of Cookie through like 8 iPad art/filter apps LOL.  Overkill probably, well, most likely...

IMG_3872.JPG
    800 x 1200 - 225K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

No, I'm not on drugs, but I may have a fever... Feeling under the weather today so took a simple render of Cookie through like 8 iPad art/filter apps LOL.  Overkill probably, well, most likely...

That's really cute! :D I like it! 

I hope you feel better soon. 

edited March 2017
    Holloko said:

That one is my favorite. The lines look great and it has a really nice illustrated/painted look. Well done! 

By the way, that's really outstanding composition! Your eye is drawn to her face first due to the high color contrast there (orange against blue) and how well lit the face is, then the curve of her weapon draws your eye to the threat, the dragon, and then the shape/curve of the dragon's wings draw your eyes down to her mount. But the curves of the armor spikes on her mount keeps your eyes from "falling off" the page and back up. With the direction that the mount's ears are pointing in and the direction of the spikes of it's armor it leads the eye back to the character. I don't know if you did that on purpose but it really came out beautifully composed! 

@Holloko I'm still blown away at how lovely your image is and your excellent composition. I hope you don't mind my chicken scratches on your image, I just wanted to illustrate what I meant by the eye flow:

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited March 2017
    I hope you don't mind my chicken scratches on your image, I just wanted to illustrate what I meant by the eye flow:

I kinda wish that meaningful constructive feedback of the sort you did to Holloko's image was more commonplace online.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
    I hope you don't mind my chicken scratches on your image, I just wanted to illustrate what I meant by the eye flow:

I kinda wish that meaningful constructive feedback of the sort you did to Holloko's image was more commonplace online.

People on DeviantArt used to do it quite a bit. Sadly, it's kind of uncommon these days. I think there are people who will still give critique if you ask. :)

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

+1  Much kindness to leave such helpful feedback. :)

People on DeviantArt used to do it quite a bit. Sadly, it's kind of uncommon these days. I think there are people who will still give critique if you ask. :)

I wish I knew anyone like that. Most good artists are so busy they don't even reply to most of the comments on dA.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

By the way, that's Agreereally outstanding composition! Your eye is drawn to her face first due to the high color contrast there (orange against blue) and how well lit the face is, then the curve of her weapon 

Agreed! There's more to rendering a good NPR than just making it look like a drawing. The composition on this one is very good, with just about everything done right.

Always wanted to say your Starfire render is excellent. The more these don't look like they were simply filtered through Photoshop, the better.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

This is a (minor) character I made up 20 years ago. Eagle-Killer is a more impressive name when you realize the eagles of his dimension are big. Very big.

Eagle-Killer.png
    667 x 1080 - 504K

This is a (minor) character I made up 20 years ago. Eagle-Killer is a more impressive name when you realize the eagles of his dimension are big. Very big.

haha Cool character. Needs more pantalones. Even eagle killers should protect their family jewels. :P

Tobor said:

By the way, that's Agreereally outstanding composition! Your eye is drawn to her face first due to the high color contrast there (orange against blue) and how well lit the face is, then the curve of her weapon 

wanted to say your Starfire render is excellent. The more these don't look like they were simply filtered through Photoshop, the better.

Thank you. I did quite a bit of post work on it, so that's probably why it doesn't look TOO filtered. Least that's the goal, not sure how close I got to the goal. *shrug* It was a fun image to work on though, so it's all good. :)

+1  Much kindness to leave such helpful feedback. :)

Thank you. Hopefully the feedback was helpful. :)

I wish I knew anyone like that. Most good artists are so busy they don't even reply to most of the comments on dA.

Yeah, I know how that goes. Real life can get in the way of a lot these days. I'm happy to leave feedback if asked though, if I can. I don't know a whole lot, but I've studied art a bit, so happy to share what I know if asked. ...Not that I know a whole lot or anything. lol I'm always still learning and growing. :)

I've been away from this thread for a while and just looked through the last several pages and am seeing some amazing work! I personally prefer postwork in Photoshop rather than rendering because I just don't understand DS well enough yet to have control of what I'm doing.  This was an IRay render that took forever on my CPU only computer and looked pretty photorealistic but then I just went postwork crazy...  I'm really thinking of going back to Poser and V4 for a while until I can get a box for my Mac with an NVIDIA card. It seems silly to waste so much time on a photorealistic render, then just destroy it in Photoshop LOL. This was not a grainy render and then I made it grainy in Photoshop. Go figure!

I know this is a little out there but I think it was like 4:00AM...

I really like the style - "a little out there" works. I have a difficult time moving from simple portrayals of characters to the more stylized, artistic forms. 

edited March 2017
    Holloko said:

@Holloko I'm still blown away at how lovely your image is and your excellent composition. I hope you don't mind my chicken scratches on your image, I just wanted to illustrate what I meant by the eye flow:

That was intentional, so I'm gald it actually worked! I tried to use the Fibonacci spiral to accomplish this. Thank you for the good feedback; it is much appreciated.

DH with spiral.jpg
    1001 x 618 - 549K
    Post edited by Holloko on

Indeed.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    Holloko said:
    Holloko said:

That was intentional, so I'm gald it actually worked! I tried to use the Fibonacci spiral to accomplish this. Thank you for the good feedback; it is much appreciated.

Mmmm . . . tasty math . . . zoom in on that fractal, baby!

- Greg

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    Holloko said:

Someone should pin this post to show how it's done!

I know (or think) we can overlay a golden thirds grid in D|S, but is there an option for the golden (Fibonacci) spiral? Would be handy, even though after a while it becomes second nature. It's still good to have guides.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Tobor said:
    Holloko said:

Someone should pin this post to show how it's done!

I know (or think) we can overlay a golden thirds grid in D|S, but is there an option for the golden (Fibonacci) spiral? Would be handy, even though after a while it becomes second nature. It's still good to have guides.

One of the overlays for the Golden Rules Camera Prop is the Fibernacci spiral.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

There is extensive commentary on how much the Fibonacci spiral is the basis for symmetry and perfect form.

There is extensive commentary on how much the previous notion is a steaming pile of nonsense.

But, at the end of the day, having SOME, ANY organizing principle probably makes for better composition, so go nuts. ;)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I was playing around with the Sketchy shaders today on an image that I liked but I thought was lacking somewhat with just the regular Iray shaders.  I decided to do some more experimenting with Sketchy.  I like what I came up with.  I did a lot of experimenting with the different shaders and came up with a mix that I liked.  Once I settled on the shaders, I did some experimenting more with tone mapping and lighting.  This was my favorite of the batch but it is interesting to see how lighting and tone mapping changed the look slightly.  There more images on my Lab thread if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I Have Arrived

Gallery Link

This discussion has been closed.