Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Also, as was discussed elsewhere a while ago, realistic lighting or unbiased renderers are all good and well if you want to render buildings and cars and I guess people as realistically as possible. But that's all you can say for it really. Biased renderers like 3Delight allows you to create the impossible so to speak thereby giving you free artistic rain over how an image will look.

Each has its purpose and each does what they're meant to do equally well.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

And here's a hair I made for V4.2.... I know not EVERYONE is into Genesis! (or cute/amazing furry animals)

I had this fantasy style hair that I wanted for V4 but could never quite find.... more like wings than just pointy hair.... It was AMAZING to finally make it! And it only took me half an hour!!! *happy dance*

Will be sharing the preset if anyone is interested :)

RavenHairA_sm.jpg
    733 x 1100 - 775K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

And here's a hair I made for V4.2.... I know not EVERYONE is into Genesis! (or cute/amazing furry animals)

I had this fantasy style hair that I wanted for V4 but could never quite find.... more like wings than just pointy hair.... It was AMAZING to finally make it! And it only took me half an hour!!! *happy dance*

Will be sharing the preset if anyone is interested :)

Thanks for sharing, I see you have presets up. Can't wait to look them over and hopefully learn something. I have another toon to work on tonight, hopefully I'll finally get to use LAMH in a render.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited January 2013

Thanks Alia, really a cool render. I'll be curious to see how those hair will look with our new glossy hair shader coming in 1.1.

Thanks also for making those presets available for everybody!

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah I definitely can't wait for the new shaders! Making hair is SOOOOOOOOO addicting! I was jealous of hair style artists (AprilYSH??? YES YOU!) and while I am no where near that level..... probably wont be for a long time... now i can finally aspire to hair creation.

BLISS.

Larsmidnatt, the anime hair is HEAVY RESOURCE. I suggest waiting for my split preset.... i'm breaking that preset into 2 parts..... you'd have to prep your scene first, including pose, then load the first half hair preset, style it, and export, then load 2nd half hair preset, style it as well, and export. It's not as ideal, but it will help on a slower computer. it even gave my computer (16 gb ram) a bit of a challenge to render. :P

I will try to make a simpler one soon that is less intensive. :)

edited January 2013

Oh yeah I definitely can't wait for the new shaders! Making hair is SOOOOOOOOO addicting! I was jealous of hair style artists (AprilYSH??? YES YOU!) and while I am no where near that level..... probably wont be for a long time... now i can finally aspire to hair creation.

BLISS.

Larsmidnatt, the anime hair is HEAVY RESOURCE. I suggest waiting for my split preset.... i'm breaking that preset into 2 parts..... you'd have to prep your scene first, including pose, then load the first half hair preset, style it, and export, then load 2nd half hair preset, style it as well, and export. It's not as ideal, but it will help on a slower computer. it even gave my computer (16 gb ram) a bit of a challenge to render. :P

I will try to make a simpler one soon that is less intensive. :)

Too late for the warning, I crashed a few times but I figured a lot out. Thanks so much for the help. Looking at your setup I see a few things I wasn't doing, that I should have pieced together myself from experimentation but for some reason didn't get.

BTW everyone else should know the Anime hair that Alia shared is not system resource heavy with renderman curves. Daz only needed about 850 mb of ram to run. It renders pretty fast as renderman curves.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    . I also found a freebie hair shader in my runtime, can't remember where I got it, but will try that also......

If your hair shader is called Holiday Hair, it is the one I gave out for the PA Christmas freebie this year. If that is not the one you have, go grab it from the holiday freebie thread. The link should still be active. I would like to know if anyone has tried my hair shader set with LAMH yet. I know they will not be as realistic as the ones Alex is working on, but they should be good for toons. I would try myself but I am having issues getting the plug in installed. Kendall is is being really generous in trying to help me figure out where the issue lies.

Great work so far everyone. I'm looking forward to when I can try this out too.

edited December 1969

Destiny, I did not try your shader yet but gosh I will go do so! Actually I happen to think that toon shaders look BETTER on the Look at my hair... er not like, with outlines but more simple things. For example, I did a render using one of cookie's hair textures (by little fox) and it looks awesome!!!)

Speaking of Little fox and Awesome, I've been working on a preset for her darling Melody.... just having some issue with spots on the upper arms that won't accept fur.... last time I had that problem, the character had reversed something... like the "face" was pointing in side the mesh so the hair went inwards instead of out.

I am not sure if that is the case with Melody but its frustrating because she sure is one ADORABLE furry critter! ^^

• davidturennedavidturenne Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just asking before buying, can you load skin textures in 'look at my hair'? For exemple if I want to make eyebrows. Since they come in various shapes, would like to use the skin texture as reference to where placing the hair.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Just asking before buying, can you load skin textures in 'look at my hair'? For exemple if I want to make eyebrows. Since they come in various shapes, would like to use the skin texture as reference to where placing the hair.

Hi david no the textures dont go accross to LAMH not sure if Alex will implement it into an update or a future version, But you can load the texture into Gimp,Photoshop or paintshop and create a density map I can make a video on how you can do this and then load the desity map into lamh so only hair will be placed where there is red.

Hard for me to explain If I make a video it will be without sound and made with Paintdhop Pro X3 though I am sure photoshop and gimp will be easy to use just to get where the eyebrows are ect.

Steve

edited December 1969

Btw, any of you have Melody or Micah by LittleFox from RuntimeDNA?

I think Melody looks amazing, wearing the fisher cat texture and LAMH fur ;)
    Still have a problem with it though....

Melody.jpg
    636 x 846 - 544K
    edited December 1969

Btw, any of you have Melody or Micah by LittleFox from RuntimeDNA?

Still have a problem with it though....

Beautiful render Alia, maybe you could randomize the length a bit more so that it gets a more diversified look?

edited December 1969

don't worry i plan to do a bit more styling, just that its nearly 8 am and i'm a bit tired now :P what can i say tho, this is so addicting! FUR ALL THE THINGS! Fur ALL the things??

YES.

(sorry, had to meme a bit there) LOL.

sorry, runnin' on fumes!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• davidturennedavidturenne Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Understand what you mean, no need to make a video but thanks.

Post edited by davidturenne on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

FLUFFY!!! :cheese:

Very nice — have to try some of the spotted or striped textures I have, when I've got the time to spare for experimenting.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,144
    edited December 1969

My little attempt. Thanks Alex for all the help!

Bruno morphs and skin by me.

Bruno-WolvieHair.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 381K
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Looks cool ramwolff just a tip after you export the hair to Daz Studio dont forget to change genesis back to high resolution. ;)

Steve.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Looks like Wolverine, Richard! :bug:

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

My second LAMH image. A 3D scan from Ten 24.
    Notice the beard and eyebrows are postwork.

Rendered in LuxRender.
    The model doesn’t have bump or displacement, all wrinkles and pores are polygonal, so between the guy and the hair the scene almost reached 2 million polygons. But it behaved fine except for some slow down on the viewport.

I still need more practice with long hair, but this short one took me some 5 minutes or less. I love the OBJ export. I was afraid but it exported and rendered really fast.

SOTO_3DScan.jpg
    746 x 1000 - 299K
    edited December 1969

WOW... looks like a photograph! NICE!

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

So I've got this idea to try and replicate Merida from the Brave movie, but can't seem to figure out how to twist the hair so that it looks like the curls in the picture below. Anyone have any ideas....?

brave_indomable_pixar1.jpg
    590 x 418 - 222K
    edited January 2013

RAMWolff said:

Thanks to you for your patience Richard.
    Is this render done in Lux? It looks really cool! :)

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    My second LAMH image. A 3D scan from Ten 24.
    Notice the beard and eyebrows are postwork.

Rendered in LuxRender.
    The model doesn’t have bump or displacement, all wrinkles and pores are polygonal, so between the guy and the hair the scene almost reached 2 million polygons. But it behaved fine except for some slow down on the viewport.

I still need more practice with long hair, but this short one took me some 5 minutes or less. I love the OBJ export. I was afraid but it exported and rendered really fast.

Awesome work HellBoy. Just a tip: before exporting OBJ to Studio, I usually set the Studio drawstyle to "Bounding Boxes" so that the interface is more responsive and I can easily pan or rotate the camera.
    Also, as I had occasion to try myself, when exporting to OBJ you might want to shrink root/tip widths to 70/30, in order to get even finer hair.
    With Kendall we are improving OBJ export routines: I am not allowed to tell more at this time, but I'm sure it will greatly appreciated by Lux/Vue/other apps users...

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

I guess I can add my first attempt at playing with this.
    It may not be brilliant...but even being able to do this with just an hour of playing around is cool to me :)

Rawn

mohawk1.jpg
    674 x 886 - 178K
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    So I've got this idea to try and replicate Merida from the Brave movie, but can't seem to figure out how to twist the hair so that it looks like the curls in the picture below. Anyone have any ideas....?

Hi Stevie, I think what you could try to do, is to setup the project with 25 or maybe also 30 hairpoints (you can access that setting from the blue button on the UI bottom right); after that I'd try to spherize and shape the hair a little, use the curl deformer, and after that apply some clumping to the hair.
    That should give you a similar result.

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I guess I can add my first attempt at playing with this.
    It may not be brilliant...but even being able to do this with just an hour of playing around is cool to me :)

Rawn

Thanks for sharing it RawArt, and I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'll certainly be interested in see what you can achieve with LAMH!

• jthicksjthicks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can I have two Genesis figures active in DAZ Studio at the same time for use in LAMH? I have a scene with two Genesis figures, and when I use LAMH, it shows both Gensis in the selection box, but which ever one I select I only get the same figure in LAMH. I can tell because of the poses applied to the figures. Any suggestions?

edited December 1969

jthicks said:
    Can I have two Genesis figures active in DAZ Studio at the same time for use in LAMH? I have a scene with two Genesis figures, and when I use LAMH, it shows both Gensis in the selection box, but which ever one I select I only get the same figure in LAMH. I can tell because of the poses applied to the figures. Any suggestions?

Hi jthicks, while you can switch using different figures and models, current 1.0 version will not allow to switch between two identical figures.
    This is a bug that has already been addressed in upcoming 1.1 update, along with a new multi-figure implementation.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Thanks to you for your patience Richard.
    Is this render done in Lux? It looks really cool! :)

Hiya Alex,

No, it's I that's been ever so thankful for all your help and your patience with me for all my questions. I simply can not wait for the update though. I don't use Reality. I used Photoshop for a little bit of filter magic. I'm a huge Photoshop fan. Have some pretty nice upscale plugins for it from Alien Skin, Topaz Labs and Flaming Pear.

The one thing I see that would put more of an advantage to getting realistic curly hair as what Stevie wants is, from what I can see when trying to just get the strands to curl slightly, is that there are not many sections per strand. Perhaps for curly hair there can be a way to simply put a slider there to add more sections to the hair. Might cause longer render times but compared to transmapped hair .... you get the picture.... Some of that hair takes FOREVER to render.

Dearly looking forward to the shaders. I read that others here are already importing shaders but I'm not seeing how to do that. Can you explain how that's done? If it's down at the paint section that means that's where my suggestion comes in to where it would be nice to have a way to check off all the areas we want the shader to affect without having to select one body section at a time to apply the shader too.

edited January 2013

You can add more sections to the hair by clicking the blue button on the bottom of the plugin. There are two buttons at the bottom and one of them lets you change a few settings including how many sections hair can have.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on