CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• edited December 1969

pretty much every project was put on hold to design and build a trike for a friend that lost the lower 1/2 of his right leg
    and now im trying to leanr poser so most major works will be delayed until i do

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

Since I can't find a decent drag strip anywhere, I'm having to make my own.

dragrace00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 367K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Looks pretty close to one Betsy. There is a whole drag strip on the sketchup site. It has bleechers, advertisement banners, signs and a center part...it is huge and looks awesome. The only problem is that the artist did not paint or texture both sides of the parts he made, so the normals flip on export and about 98% of it is all white. That is why when you make a model in sketchup, you group each part you make so when you apply a color or texture, flipped or not, it will still hold the color or texture. Mine always export perfectly.

SP...I sure will be glad when you get back to the 40 coupe, and the 32 roadster. I was hoping to get a copy of each from you...hehehe.

OK....Here is a very cool find. While surfing the net for cars, I came across a site that has high poly cars. They offered this 1961 Ford Econoline for free as a sample of their cars. Most all the cars sell for $100.00-$200.00. The mesh is awesome and perfect. I had to register to get it, but the registration was very simple and small, and it gave me the link immediately after I registered. It also gave me a cool kind toon looking car with eyes on the front, but every part of the car itself looks realistic. Also a perfect mesh. Looks like a 59 Plymouth Belvedere or a 59 Caddy. I will render it next. I think they change up what they give from time to time. Well worth registering to get these. They come in .3ds, .lwo, .C4d, .obj, .fbx and .max formats. You get to choose which formats you want...one, two or all if you like. I just got all of them because I have 3dmax too.

The green and black is the default color, but I also did one in red. The engine is in the back with a blower setup. It is part of the mesh, so I am going to open it in 3dmax or blender and edit it out along with the bed cover to get a nice standard Ford version with the engine in the front.

:-)

1961FordEconolineSceneDaz2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 139K
    1961FordEconolineSceneDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 143K
  • CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Looks pretty close to one Betsy. There is a whole drag strip on the sketchup site. It has bleechers, advertisement banners, signs and a center part...it is huge and looks awesome. The only problem is that the artist did not paint or texture both sides of the parts he made, so the normals flip on export and about 98% of it is all white. That is why when you make a model in sketchup, you group each part you make so when you apply a color or texture, flipped or not, it will still hold the color or texture. Mine always export perfectly.

SP...I sure will be glad when you get back to the 40 coupe, and the 32 roadster. I was hoping to get a copy of each from you...hehehe.

OK....Here is a very cool find. While surfing the net for cars, I came across a site that has high poly cars. They offered this 1961 Ford Econoline for free as a sample of their cars. Most all the cars sell for $100.00-$200.00. The mesh is awesome and perfect. I had to register to get it, but the registration was very simple and small, and it gave me the link immediately after I registered. It also gave me a cool kind toon looking car with eyes on the front, but every part of the car itself looks realistic. Also a perfect mesh. Looks like a 59 Plymouth Belvedere or a 59 Caddy. I will render it next. I think they change up what they give from time to time. Well worth registering to get these. They come in .3ds, .lwo, .C4d, .obj, .fbx and .max formats. You get to choose which formats you want...one, two or all if you like. I just got all of them because I have 3dmax too.

The green and black is the default color, but I also did one in red. The engine is in the back with a blower setup. It is part of the mesh, so I am going to open it in 3dmax or blender and edit it out along with the bed cover to get a nice standard Ford version with the engine in the front.

I use to drive one of those where I worked many years ago.....late '60.... What's the link to the site?

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

I started looking around after your post and found it. Thanks music.

edited December 1969

Would love to see it on the car patio!

:-) :-) :-) :-)

edited December 1969

Yep, I got it too, now to see what I can do with it!

edited December 1969

I really prefer using shaders on it, or for that matter, on just about any car, the textures that came with it don't do it any justice, I used the 3DS model and reworked it in Blender, I also downloaded the obj, however, its less than satisfactory when loaded into DS, I have much more control if I rework it in Blender.

econoline2.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 516K
    econoline1.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 586K
    econoline.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 582K
    edited December 1969

The best results I got was the .lwo format converted in Poseray to an .obj file. It is super smooth.

I tried to import the .3ds file into Sketchup, and it loaded fine. I deleted the rear wheelie bar and the engine top and bed cover. I then made a wooden floor and inner sides and front bed for it. It looked really nice, but when I tried to export it back to a .3ds or an .obj file, I got a bug splat and Sketchup shut down. Either the mesh is just to detailed, or some other reason caused it. I even tried to seperate and download parts one at a time...still got a splat and shutdown. So, I am going to export the bed I made for it, then tale the main model into Bryce and see if I can delete the parts and export it from there, then put the bed liner in it in Daz. We will see what happens.

edited December 1969

Here is the Econoline on the Car Patio. I downloaded the obj file, opened it in UVMapper Pro, got rid of that engine and bed cover, added the bed from a Ford F-1 pickup, remapped the headlights and added a texture. Can't decided if I'm got to do anything else to it yet.

Econoline.jpg
    1147 x 884 - 148K
    edited December 1969

Well if your going to make it stock, it does need front and rear bumpers!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:

Yeah I know and door handles, FORD on the front, park lights. no side trim, and stock wheels and tires.

edited December 1969

I debated on bumpers also. I tried a tube bumper, a flat bumper, a wood bumper, a brush guard, etc. None of them looked as good as it does without one. So, lets just say, it has a reinforced steel one under the grill plate. Like new cars have.

I took the .3ds file into Cinema4D and removed the engine top and cover. I had already made the bed for it in Sketchup earlier today. So I exported the main car out as an .obj, then exported the bed out as a .3ds, then through Poseray to .obj. Imported it into DS 3 and made the chrome bed strips. I am happy with the results. Since I have dropped a "Boss 302 cu.in." in it, I chose to paint it the well known Mustang Boss 302 Orange and Matt Black.

1961FordEconolineStreetDaz3.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 100K
    1961FordEconolineStreetDaz2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 123K
    1961FordEconolineStreetDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 132K
    edited January 2013

betsy662 said:

Since it is a custom, some bucket seats and console would look cool.

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I debated on bumpers also. I tried a tube bumper, a flat bumper, a wood bumper, a brush guard, etc. None of them looked as good as it does without one. So, lets just say, it has a reinforced steel one under the grill plate. Like new cars have.

I took the .3ds file into Cinema4D and removed the engine top and cover. I had already made the bed for it in Sketchup earlier today. So I exported the main car out as an .obj, then exported the bed out as a .3ds, then through Poseray to .obj. Imported it into DS 3 and made the chrome bed strips. I am happy with the results. Since I have dropped a "Boss 302 cu.in." in it, I chose to paint it the well known Mustang Boss 302 Orange and Matt Black.

That bed turned out looking good.

edited January 2013

Since we are doing "Econolines" here, it reminded me of one I did many years ago in Photoshop before I got into 3d modeling. This is a 1966 Dodge Econoline that I took and customized it in Photoshop 7. I turned it into a UV van. Here is the original and then the one I made.

( notice...no bumpers here also! )

1966_DodgeEconoline_1.jpg
    800 x 551 - 122K
    1966DodgeEconolineOriginal.jpg
    800 x 551 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that would look cool, unfortunately, you took the engine out of the bed, along with the cover, now a center console would have to be just for the six cylinder engine that would be right under the center of the cab!

edited December 1969

Okay, so a funny thing happened on the way to do some shopping at possibly Rendo, so I get there, I'm thinking, okay, maybe N7's new 4 Door Caddillac, or maybe even one of his nice Model T Ford's, then it dawned on me, I hadn't really given Dreamland's Car Patio a chance, so I go and look at it, for sure its one of the best items for the buck, and what you get really is a lot for the money, so I broke down and on impulse, just like a US Congressman, spent the money on the Car Patio, I couldn't however, use anything as mundane as a Ford Econoline for my first render using the Car Patio, no, I have to do with something far more exciting than that!

setting_up_the_shoot00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 500K
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Okay, so a funny thing happened on the way to do some shopping at possibly Rendo, so I get there, I'm thinking, okay, maybe N7's new 4 Door Caddillac, or maybe even one of his nice Model T Ford's, then it dawned on me, I hadn't really given Dreamland's Car Patio a chance, so I go and look at it, for sure its one of the best items for the buck, and what you get really is a lot for the money, so I broke down and on impulse, just like a US Congressman, spent the money on the Car Patio, I couldn't however, use anything as mundane as a Ford Econoline for my first render using the Car Patio, no, I have to do with something far more exciting than that!

More exciting than a Ford Econoline?....GIRLS!....AH YES!...hehehe.

Just a tip here...if you get too close with the camera and you have a very reflective surface on your paint job, and the lighting is just right, you will see a heavy grain in the paint on the car from the concrete reflecting back. So be sure your light and camera angles are right or your render will look like an unbaked Reality render...lol.

I love the car patio!

edited December 1969

I like it too, I'm still trying to figure out how to make it appear wet, like after a rain, can't do that with the 81 City Blocks either, even though the materials are included, those only work in Poser, I want something that works in DS!

edited January 2013

I made this one using a flat sheet morphing plane I got from trekkiegrrrl'site, then used the opacity setting to make it transparent, morphed it into some bumps and put it down under the patio floor. Used Lakeworks mirror shader on it, Then sized it way up. Worked for me.

http://trekkiegrrrl.dk/mpp3.htm

3rd from bottom.

DougMasons55ChevyDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 284K
    edited December 1969

I'll look into using that method, where do I get the shaders you mentioned?

edited December 1969

Well! I tried that method, I initially started the first time using a chrome shader, that didn't work too well, since chrome is too reflective, however, the mirror glass shader from Schurby's 65 GTO worked real well, now to figure out how to do different coloration of the distinctive concrete tiles in the car patio, there are texture files that work fine, but I want to be able to reflect this on wet concrete.

bettie_o_the_month00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 594K
  • edited December 1969

i havent been doing any renders or modeling lately but came across what could be a killer backdrop for a classic car render and had to play with it
    its for blender 2.63+ and is very high poly but i think i can use the basics to make a low poly scene that can be used in poser and studio in short while
    the renders i did are realy gariny because they were done in cycles with the integrator set at 50 but tonight ill rerender it at 2000
    but heres the results

diner2.jpg
    1146 x 720 - 148K
    diner1.jpg
    1143 x 664 - 176K
    edited December 1969

i havent been doing any renders or modeling lately but came across what could be a killer backdrop for a classic car render and had to play with it
    its for blender 2.63+ and is very high poly but i think i can use the basics to make a low poly scene that can be used in poser and studio in short while
    the renders i did are realy gariny because they were done in cycles with the integrator set at 50 but tonight ill rerender it at 2000
    but heres the results

The 50s diner...I have that model. It has been around for years. I think the one I have was originally done in Bryce, then converted to .lwo and .obj files.

That looks pretty good Betsy. The shader I used is by Lakeworks...it is just called a mirror shader. Yours looks just as good. I love the trees behind the patio.

I found this Ford at the sketchup warehouse. It is very detailed. Best I've seen yet. I ripped it apart and saved many parts as .obj files to use on different cars. The motor is just a small 4 cylinder, but I plan on dropping a big one in it. Gonna make a hot rod from it too. I got another one also, a 1934 Ford Sedan Hot Rod. Chopped and channeled. The detail on it is incredible. I think the guy who is making the blue 32 Roadster made this one too. The detail on the engine is fantastic. Every nut and bolt is there. I am gonne use the frame and engine, the 32 Roadster body, and pick some tires and wheels for it.

ModelTBestDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 266K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    but heres the results

The 50s diner...I have that model. It has been around for years. I think the one I have was originally done in Bryce, then converted to .lwo and .obj files.

That looks pretty good Betsy. The shader I used is by Lakeworks...it is just called a mirror shader. Yours looks just as good. I love the trees behind the patio.

I found this Ford at the sketchup warehouse. It is very detailed. Best I've seen yet. I ripped it apart and saved many parts as .obj files to use on different cars. The motor is just a small 4 cylinder, but I plan on dropping a big one in it. Gonna make a hot rod from it too. I got another one also, a 1934 Ford Sedan Hot Rod. Chopped and channeled. The detail on it is incredible. I think the guy who is making the blue 32 Roadster made this one too. The detail on the engine is fantastic. Every nut and bolt is there. I am gonne use the frame and engine, the 32 Roadster body, and pick some tires and wheels for it.

What you have there is a 1929 Ford Model A coupe, done up bone stock, it looks like a nice model, I can't seem to find it at the warehouse, you wouldn't happen to know where the link to it is would you?

edited December 1969

Okay, finally found the Model A, its done by PAV, the same guy who made the 32 Chopped Chevy sedan, the Bugatte Type 59 and several other really nice cars, will let you know how it comes out.

edited December 1969

Okay, found it, downloaded it, and worked it in Blender, that car is about 46 MB right out of Sketchup, so loading it in blender takes a little bit of time, the material zones are a mess for sure, so I've had to separate the wheels/tires from the car, and the bumpers from the car, as well as the radiator front from the car, and had to load those parts separately in DS in order to get a decent halfway materials set up on it, the detail is staggering for a model out of sketchup, but is very nice to be sure, from the looks of how the materials are set up, I will have to separate the whitewalls from the wheel backs, the hubcaps from the wheels, and so on and so forth, but overall, this car is worth the extra effort for sure!

29_Ford_Coupe00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 499K
    29_Ford_Coupe.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Here is what I have found working with sketchup models. Each face of a series has two sides. If you group the faces together making an object, then you color it, it will apply the color to the entire object, both sides of the faces. If you do not group them, then you have to color both sides of the faces. If you do not do that, sometimes the faces flip during exporting the item, and it takes on the color of the back side of the face. This is what has happened with the tire whitewalls. It took on the lavender color that is on the back side of the face. If you go real close in Sketchup with the camera, you can go inside the tire and see the color is lavender. So, just keep opening the edit up until you get down to one strip of the tire (it is duplicated many times to make the tire) and color it white, all the other strips will color with it. Then when you export it, the whitewalls will be white...simple! Same with the radiator...go up close, go inside the radiator and see the back side of the front part is lavender (or white...I can't remember) then just select it and edit it down and color it black. Then the entire car will be the correct color on export. I have to do this a lot in Sketchup. Many do not know this. They just color the outer face and don't know why it comes back with no color! Group...then color. I do that and have never had a single complaint on any of my models I make and give away. Tons of them.

Just a tip for ya.

This discussion has been closed.