Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

OK... got Genesis loaded. I had saved my Wolverine preset. Now it's telling me that "This preset doesn't match the model it was designed for, or if you have a Triax figure, make sure it's set at Base Resolution"

It's set to Base, it's Genesis so it's Triax and of COURSE this preset was designed for Genesis. SO not understanding what the heck's wrong. :-(

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

indeed switching painting from a surface to another can be improved (and infact we are redesigning so that it will be global and will be used not only for painting density maps).
    About the hair, please check that you are exporting at least 100,000 hairs (I'd suggest 120,000, since that's the human average hair count).
    So, when you trigger the export dialog, be sure to enter 120,000 for the hair quantity, press enter, export and render. That will give you the proper density.
    Let me know if that works...

To expand in this, the hair quantities need to be set for EACH shave group. You can vary the hair coverage on a ShaveGroup by ShaveGroup basis.

Kendall

I'm make this preset with only one shave group

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I'll give it a try. I got a crash to desktop so not sure what happened there. Another suggestion would be to please have a way to undo some of the steps in the Tilt Roots and Curl. I was trying everything to get the hair more dense and after I did that I saw no way to undo those steps and well... it no longer looked like my beloved Wolverine style I was working on! :-(

Hi Richard, you should be able to undo Tilt, Curl and other deformer effects pressing

Tried that, didn't work!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Make sure you have the figure selected in Daz Studio (and only the figure) and imported in LAMH when you try to load a preset, if its not selected you'll get that error. See if that fixes it?

edited December 1969

Thought I'd show off a hairstyle, made for V5 and modeled by the gorgeous Xiao Wen:

CharlieHairSM.jpg
    927 x 1000 - 563K
    edited December 1969

Make sure you have the figure selected in Daz Studio (and only the figure) and imported in LAMH when you try to load a preset, if its not selected you'll get that error. See if that fixes it?

I tried that and even rebooted the computer to see if that would make a difference. Same issue. File is corrupted somehow. I did over write it as I was going along and improving the style so perhaps that had something to do with it. I got the style redone but I'm scared to save it out again for fear of loosing all the work all over again.

I did forget to add the Alt key into the Ctrl + Z key to undo so that DOES work. My bad.

Got your info into my brain about changing brush sizes and what not so that's good. Kinda fidgety here and there but perhaps the update will improve things in that way. I like that the Ctrl key controls lengthening the hair strands where the mouse is using the mouse motions (I use a Marble Mouse by Logitech so using the ball moves the hair length up and down easily).

I got using the scroll to zoom in and out but is there an easier way to pan the scene easier? That little move icon being so close to the edge allows for very limited panning, more like scootch, then scooth, then scootch.... :P

Screen grab shows the visible hair settings for this redo. Shows the cursor to the side there where the edge of the UI stops the mouse dead in it's tracks. I think there's a way in the code to allow for the mouse to continue after it hits the edge so that the end user can continue to move, zoom or pan.

Scoothing.jpg
    1234 x 1013 - 472K
    edited December 1969

OK... exporting the hair at 120,000 still is giving me a very thin haired render. Bringing up the Materials Setup I set the roots to 240 and the tips to 190. So this is the area that's going to confuse folks. Even the PDF doesn't help me there too much.

ExportSettingsLAMH.jpg
    375 x 473 - 38K
  • swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

Can you reveal if this update will allow more than one of the same figure in a scene to be able to have LAMH hair applied to it and styled.??

Cheers,

S.K.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    OK... exporting the hair at 120,000 still is giving me a very thin haired render. Bringing up the Materials Setup I set the roots to 240 and the tips to 190. So this is the area that's going to confuse folks. Even the PDF doesn't help me there too much.

Hi Richard, please enter 120000 (and press enter) and not 120,000 as I believe that will actually be understood as 120...
    Eventually post a render so that I can see what's going on :)

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

I tried that and even rebooted the computer to see if that would make a difference. Same issue. File is corrupted somehow. I did over write it as I was going along and improving the style so perhaps that had something to do with it. I got the style redone but I'm scared to save it out again for fear of loosing all the work all over again.

I did forget to add the Alt key into the Ctrl + Z key to undo so that DOES work. My bad.

Got your info into my brain about changing brush sizes and what not so that's good. Kinda fidgety here and there but perhaps the update will improve things in that way. I like that the Ctrl key controls lengthening the hair strands where the mouse is using the mouse motions (I use a Marble Mouse by Logitech so using the ball moves the hair length up and down easily).

I got using the scroll to zoom in and out but is there an easier way to pan the scene easier? That little move icon being so close to the edge allows for very limited panning, more like scootch, then scooth, then scootch.... :P

Screen grab shows the visible hair settings for this redo. Shows the cursor to the side there where the edge of the UI stops the mouse dead in it's tracks. I think there's a way in the code to allow for the mouse to continue after it hits the edge so that the end user can continue to move, zoom or pan.

Hi Richard to pan the camera right click and move the mouse, that will do. In 1.1 update we fixed the issue about the mouse "limited" to the preview screen...

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Hi Richard, please enter 120000 (and press enter) and not 120,000 as I believe that will actually be understood as 120...
    Eventually post a render so that I can see what's going on :)

Rendered with 120000 for export.

Still looks very thin to me.

rendered_with_120000_for_export.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 186K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Richard would you like to email me the .lmh file, so that I can take look? Eventually my email is: info_alessandromastronardi.com
    Thx.

edited December 1969

Sending them now. Going to also send you the original Wolverine that errors out on me when trying to load it.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Ramwolff, when you open the hair settings again are they at 250 or something else? How many groups does the hair have? Are you exporting as curves or obj? Just wondering. We'll figure this out :) The hair density, is it set at full? the slider all the way to the right?

edited December 1969

Ramwolff, when you open the hair settings again are they at 250 or something else? How many groups does the hair have? Are you exporting as curves or obj? Just wondering. We'll figure this out :) The hair density, is it set at full? the slider all the way to the right?

Settings below.

Groups? You mean Shave Groups? I only have one for the whole thing. Rather than splitting them up I just use the Ctrl and mouse to shorten and lengthen hairs. Exporting as curves. Tried the Obj and that looked really weird, like little snakes coming out the head.

Materials_Setup.jpg
    656 x 151 - 37K
    edited December 1969

And what is the group density set at?

edited December 1969

Where do I look for that setting?

edited December 1969

You mean the Density slider? that's all the way to the right

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    You mean the Density slider? that's all the way to the right

Ramwolff

When you export the hair to daz studio there is a box to enter a number in the Hair Quantity the number you enter there is how dense your hair will be when you render in DS.

Hope this helps mate!

Steve

edited December 1969

Ah, well the numerical setting is 120000 as Alex suggested.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi Ramwolf,

When you enter the Hair Quantity make sure that you press ENTER afterwards, whilst the cursor is still in the quantity box, otherwise LAMH will not register the hair quantity valye that you have entered.

Then just export as normal..

Hope that helps.

S.K.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Ah, well the numerical setting is 120000 as Alex suggested.

I just looked at your Screenshot you posted and you have 120,000 in the box try 120000 I am sure the , don't need to be there. so it could be placing just 120 maybe? because the comer is messing the number up. this is just me thinking haven't had much time lately to do anything.

Steve

edited December 1969

Hmmm, I guess entering Enter after the 120000 number worked. Weird!

edited December 1969

Now to figure out the shader system. The advanced is a bit overwhelming for now... I tried the Occlusion one but even my system came to a crawl so no go on that one. Trying to achieve a very nice natural looking hair sort of shader effect with the light (one Distant light) shinging on it but hair shine, for the most part is not just an even shine, it's actually broken up, sort of like fine noise. Can't get that so far....

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Now to figure out the shader system. The advanced is a bit overwhelming for now... I tried the Occlusion one but even my system came to a crawl so no go on that one. Trying to achieve a very nice natural looking hair sort of shader effect with the light (one Distant light) shinging on it but hair shine, for the most part is not just an even shine, it's actually broken up, sort of like fine noise. Can't get that so far....

RAMWolff-I'm just in the process of finishing a render, and trying some post render shader tricks to get the hair looking more realistic. My idea is to combine a Reality render with two 3Delight renders of the hair, both set at default shader setting, one with shadows, and one without. Will post in a few hours when it's done. I wasn't totally pleased with any of them alone, so I'm blending them altogether for now, until Alessandro releases an updated version, in which he's posted that he will include more shaders. I also found a freebie hair shader in my runtime, can't remember where I got it, but will try that also......

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Even though I exported the LAMH as .obj into Reality successfully, I wasn't completely happy with it, so I combined the Reality render with two 3Delight renders of the hair, both set at default shader setting, one with shadows, and one without. I wasn’t totally pleased with any of them alone, so I’m blended them altogether, and here is the end result. I think once I find some more realistic hair shaders, I won't need to do any post render work. Unfortunately, I don't have the uber surface shader for hair, and can't afford it right now. As Alessandro has already mentioned, he will be including more shaders in the next LAMH release, so I shall be patient.....Hope you like.....

Recombent_Repose.jpg
    926 x 520 - 346K
    edited December 1969

Looks fabulous. I don't use Reality. Bought it, played with it for a few weeks and then gave up. For those that love it more power to them. I stick with good old 3Delight. Hey, if production studio's like Pixar uses 3Delight then it's good enough for me! :-) It IS though a matter of finding the right shaders for LAMH though.

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Looks fabulous. I don't use Reality. Bought it, played with it for a few weeks and then gave up. For those that love it more power to them. I stick with good old 3Delight. Hey, if production studio's like Pixar uses 3Delight then it's good enough for me! :-) It IS though a matter of finding the right shaders for LAMH though.

Not true! Pixar's renderman and 3delight are totally separate render engines. Also the version of 3Delight Studio uses is the crippled free version. Both versions use use faked lighting unlike Reality/Lux. It all depends on the results that satisfy you.

You might want to check this out........ http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-800082.html

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited January 2013

RAMWolff said:

Not true! Pixar's renderman and 3delight are totally separate render engines. Also the version of 3Delight Studio uses is the crippled free version. Both versions use use faked lighting unlike Reality/Lux. It all depends on the results that satisfy you.

You might want to check this out........ http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-800082.html

Both of your assertions are incorrect.

3Delight and PrMan are both FULLY RiSpec. Each has their own proprietary extensions, but they are *EQUIVALENT* when it comes to "renderman." It is true that Pixar ONLY uses PrMan for their work... it is their product after all.

The only thing missing from the DS shipped version of 3Delight is the network rendering.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Regardless... 3Delight works for my needs. That's all I'm saying...