Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thank you Kendall for your reply.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Thank you so much for the advise Alessandro! I had the hair count at 5,000,000 originally, which is why my poor 5 year old laptop crashed Daz, so I brought it down to 10,000, and successfully exported and rendered it in 3Delight..

5 million???? No wonder it crashed. The render you've shared is very nice, btw. ;)

• Acudia4151Acudia4151 Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Love the plugin had a try with it in reality thx for the info had a hard time figuring out how to get it into lux.

Amber.png
    1538 x 912 - 521K
  • RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

There is an issue when exporting an LAMH object to .obj for use in Reality/Lux.

The map filename is written with back slashes, which Lux does not recognise and causes the map not to be found.

Eg, a typical filename from LAMH in the Daz Studio material editor looks like:

C:/Users/Rhale/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio\lookatmyhairAM\geometry\sphere_TMap_0.jpg

Note the forward slashes in the first part of the directory structure (ie, my regular save library) and then the switch for the LAMH part. This causes an "Error hashing file" in Lux and the map fails to load.

(Windows Vista 64bit)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:
    There is an issue when exporting an LAMH object to .obj for use in Reality/Lux.

The map filename is written with back slashes, which Lux does not recognise and causes the map not to be found.

Eg, a typical filename from LAMH in the Daz Studio material editor looks like:

C:/Users/Rhale/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio\lookatmyhairAM\geometry\sphere_TMap_0.jpg

Note the forward slashes in the first part of the directory structure (ie, my regular save library) and then the switch for the LAMH part. This causes an "Error hashing file" in Lux and the map fails to load.

(Windows Vista 64bit)

This has been remedied in the update coming soon. All paths within LAMH now use the proper Posix '/' character.

Kendall

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Nice one, thank you.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

My first from scratch hair-style that I'm happy with.

Also the first lamh render that I'm happy with. I haven't being getting on at all well with the default shaders but I remembered someone on one of the threads mentioning Fisty's Sparkles and they work brilliantly for hair!

lamh-short-with-fringe.jpg
    675 x 1080 - 116K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Any way to copy and paste a Shave group, or mirror it to the other side?? I've also got Symmetry enabled and found it to not work as expected. If I have the camera facing the front as well as the figure (currently a sphere) shouldn't that be where the symmetry should start?

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Here is my first simple hair style successfully exported to .obj and into Reality and rendered in LuxRender.....had the hair set to mat here, with no shaders. Will be using a shader next time and set material to glossy to see how that looks.....

LAMH_Reality_Male_Model_Wild.jpg
    833 x 610 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Also the first lamh render that I'm happy with. I haven't being getting on at all well with the default shaders but I remembered someone on one of the threads mentioning Fisty's Sparkles and they work brilliantly for hair!

In addition to the builtin shaders for LAMH, other shaders can also be used. We have used BishounenTaurus' VisualStyle Shaders to good effect. Also, bitmap texture shaders can be used, as can the UberHair shaders. Metal Shaders can also be used to very nice effect, especially with hairs of a greater diameter.

In the 1.1 update that is imminent, Alex has coded a Human Toned shader for glossy hair into the default shaders.

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Out of interest (not having a computer is so frustrating) has anyone used Uber Hair Shader on the hair?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

er actually i just mean brush it out a bit ..haha. I've never experimented with smooth/linear, or I did and didn't think I needed it...

When I clump very strongly (as I tend to do as I'm impatient, hee hee), it can make some of the hair crimp up, so I usually have to brush it out- by that, just grab the end of the hair (the point, where I clumped at the hair tip) and pull it down, that will smooth out any disgruntled hair. LOL.

If you have a particular style you'd like me to try, Larsmidnatt, please let me know. I may not make it exactly (for copyright reason) and level of my ability :P
    I am starting to work on a mix and match set... I think it would be useful no matter what style hair (real, anime)

A mix and match set sounds interesting. I'm not looking for any style in particular, just trying to see if I can figure out what I'm missing.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,489
    edited December 1969

I often use fisty's velvet shaders, or Calida shaders (like jewels, metals, and scaled), as nice hair shaders.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Nice render willowfan, as 1.1 will be ready, there will be a new shiny shader to play with.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Any way to copy and paste a Shave group, or mirror it to the other side?? I've also got Symmetry enabled and found it to not work as expected. If I have the camera facing the front as well as the figure (currently a sphere) shouldn't that be where the symmetry should start?

Hi Richard, there is not yet a function do duplicate shave groups. What you can do in current version though is to duplicate or split a shavegroup area into a new one.
    Symmetry editing should be working just as you describe it: have a sphere facing front, grow some guide, enable symmetry and combing on the left side should mirror the change on the right side as well.

edited December 1969

Yes that would be me, I am a huge fan of Fisty's sparkles on everything!!! Haha. ^^looks nice!

I'd suggest having the front fringe overlap by one row with the main hair. You can thin it with density painting, but it helps blend that white line. that's what I've done with the previous fringes I've done, and on my anime hair. :)

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited January 2013

Never thought of overlapping the shave groups. Good tip!

Though I have seen hairstyles with a scalp line like that on occassion, though admittadly a bit higher up.

Post edited by willowfan on
    edited December 1969

Woo finally got a pic done!

Hair was exported as an object, uses Fisty's shaders (as usual) :D
    I think this shows some of the flexibility you can use with this hair, and some of my visions for using it!! :D
    My only regret on this picture is that i put some hitomi morph in Genesis to get the more petite body shape, and forgot to negatively-dial the hitomi morph on the head, because it looks weird with a realistic texture, so her head looks a bit goofy to me. Le Sigh!

don't forget folks, if you export the hair as an object, you CAN apply smoothing and collision if you use them in DS4. this is great to fixing small mistakes you might have made if you were rushing a hair style. :D

Here's my picture... I was trying to do a mysterious lady who came out of the sea.... :)

2sm.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 701K
    edited December 1969

Awesome render Alia, thanks for sharing it and also for giving details on workarounds also for the collision.
    She's indeed a misterious lady, maybe a mermaid that during a "human" transition? :)

edited December 1969

Elle was so kind to give us the permission to show her beautiful “Lioness in the grass” render, furred in Look at my Hair, exported and rendered in Lux/Reality (click here to see the full size image at DeviantArt).
    Amazing result Elle!
    Elle is an artist producing excellent pictures, be sure to take a look at her DeviantArt Gallery , lot of creative work there!

lioness_by_elle_arden-d5rhe2o.jpg
    1100 x 726 - 332K
    edited December 1969

First try at this..... I read there is a way to fatten the roots?? Also really confused about the shaders area. How do I make the roots black and the tips a bit lighter??

Wolvey.jpg
    908 x 869 - 273K
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    First try at this..... I read there is a way to fatten the roots?? Also really confused about the shaders area. How do I make the roots black and the tips a bit lighter??

Hi Richard, you can set root and tip width in the material setup window (manual page 14-15). Mind you, that in current version the root/tip width settings will only be accounted upon rendering, and not in the LAMH preview.
    Same goes to set root and tip colors: in the same material setup window, at the top you can click on the root/tip/specular square buttons and pick a color. Again, also in this case those won't be accounted in the preview window but only upon rendering.
    That is something we're going to add in upcoming 1.1.

If you need more help, or I wasn't clear please ask more.

edited December 1969

Ah. OK.. thanks so much Alex! :-)

edited December 1969

OK... not understanding this still. The density, if I choose to fill still renders very thin in the DS port. I don't see how to change the color of the mapping at all. I don't see where on the interface to change the brush size and linear to smooth. Not finding this area intuitive at all. Sorry Alex. I might also suggest expanding the symmetry to the paint area to cover areas faster on either side of the model. I found that having to select the head, the face and then the neck to paint not good either. There should be a way to shift and select the parts one wants so that painting seamlessly over the desired area is doable.

edited December 1969

OK... found where to change the colors in the Surfaces tab. You have to expand the hair down in the Scene tab and then Ctrl Select the 3 nodes to get them to show up to get equal values but the hair still looks like baby fine hair to me. :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

indeed switching painting from a surface to another can be improved (and infact we are redesigning so that it will be global and will be used not only for painting density maps).
    About the hair, please check that you are exporting at least 100,000 hairs (I'd suggest 120,000, since that's the human average hair count).
    So, when you trigger the export dialog, be sure to enter 120,000 for the hair quantity, press enter, export and render. That will give you the proper density.
    Let me know if that works...

edited December 1969

Ramwolff, did you read the manual? It explains a lot of those things.
    Three things affect the mass of hair when it's exported- density, the hair number when you export, and the hair size. If density is not helping, you can try to increase hair size or the hair number when you export.
    To change brush size, HOLD DOWN the space bar, and then use the mouse to move the sliders for size/intensity and tick linear or smooth. To change color, click on the small cog-wheel like icon on the upper right side of the interface, next to the + sign that is beside the group list. you will have to change colors for each group individually as well as hair size.
    Personally, unless its an animal texture, i don't mess with it. I wait till i export the hair and then apply a shader on it.

edited December 1969

I'll give it a try. I got a crash to desktop so not sure what happened there. Another suggestion would be to please have a way to undo some of the steps in the Tilt Roots and Curl. I was trying everything to get the hair more dense and after I did that I saw no way to undo those steps and well... it no longer looked like my beloved Wolverine style I was working on! :-(

edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

indeed switching painting from a surface to another can be improved (and infact we are redesigning so that it will be global and will be used not only for painting density maps).
    About the hair, please check that you are exporting at least 100,000 hairs (I'd suggest 120,000, since that's the human average hair count).
    So, when you trigger the export dialog, be sure to enter 120,000 for the hair quantity, press enter, export and render. That will give you the proper density.
    Let me know if that works...

To expand in this, the hair quantities need to be set for EACH shave group. You can vary the hair coverage on a ShaveGroup by ShaveGroup basis.

Kendall

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    I'll give it a try. I got a crash to desktop so not sure what happened there. Another suggestion would be to please have a way to undo some of the steps in the Tilt Roots and Curl. I was trying everything to get the hair more dense and after I did that I saw no way to undo those steps and well... it no longer looked like my beloved Wolverine style I was working on! :-(

Hi Richard, you should be able to undo Tilt, Curl and other deformer effects pressing