Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Stezza said:

Feathered Wings for ALL - except Carrara users

heads up - this latest 3DU product doesn't work in Carrara crying

prolly needs to be converted to blended.  think they all using 'general' by default
    conversion fixed the muscle car

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Stezza said:

that was close indecision

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    MistyRara said:
    Stezza said:

prolly needs to be converted to blended.  think they all using 'general' by default
    conversion fixed the muscle car

How does one do that?

• 3D Universe3D Universe Posts: 327
    Stezza said:

In all fairness, this product isn't marketed as "for all applications". It is clearly marked as a DAZ Studio product. 

Stezza said:

In all fairness, this product isn't marketed as "for all applications". It is clearly marked as a DAZ Studio product. 

as is nearly everything the past year 

this thread is here for Carrara users to know from others who have tried so they can make an informed decision 

some things can be fixed for carrara others not

since the move to the dual Q weightpainting occurred many but not all things no longer work

some things the morphs do not work but creating obj morph targets manually is the fix for that.

I love your products personally and even buy stuff I know will not work in Carrara to use in D|S and iClone but this thread is what it is, do not take it personally heart

edited March 2017
    Stezza said:

99% of Daz products for Genesis works in Carrara, but this doesn't so the methods used these days for G3 are being used for Genesis products as well which makes the product not work..

Daz should update Carrara if they want to sell G & G2 products.
    The problem is the bones won't connect to the mesh... as Wendy says, love your products but as Daz won't update Carrara more products these days are being returned for refunds.

fwings3du.jpg
    1192 x 674 - 123K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • 3D Universe3D Universe Posts: 327
    edited March 2017
    th3Ddigit said:
    Stezza said:

as is nearly everything the past year 

this thread is here for Carrara users to know from others who have tried so they can make an informed decision 

some things can be fixed for carrara others not

since the move to the dual Q weightpainting occurred many but not all things no longer work

some things the morphs do not work but creating obj morph targets manually is the fix for that.

I love your products personally and even buy stuff I know will not work in Carrara to use in D|S and iClone but this thread is what it is, do not take it personally heart

I was commenting on the play on my product name. I was merely pointing out that the name was not referring to applications as was insinuated by the original comment. "Feathered Wing for All" is named that way because the wings will work on all figures supported by DAZ Studio.

I'd love DAZ to support more DS content in Carrara, but that's not in our hands.

:-)

Post edited by 3D Universe on
    Stezza said:
    Stezza said:

99% of Daz products for Genesis works in Carrara, but this doesn't so the methods used these days for G3 are being used for Genesis products as well which makes the product not work..

Daz should update Carrara if they want to sell G & G2 products.
    The problem is the bones won't connect to the mesh... as Wendy says, love your products but as Daz won't update Carrara more products these days are being returned for refunds.

the bones not connecting to mesh is the binding method.

load the winges in DS, select the wings,
    from menu, Edit, Figure, Rigging, Concert triax/general to Blended.
    File, save as, subset.
    Should fix it.  
    Didnt buy the wings, can't test it here. 

assuming is not a geograft? says for all

Thanks @MistyRara

that fixed the rigging problem.. I'll cancel my refund request

@3D Universe maybe a simple fix for future products to expand your selling base to include Carrara users... took all of 2 minutes to do ( once you know )

Heads Up..

Blue2 works in Carrara yes

Blues2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 151K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Thanks for the HU Stezza, you've actually given me an idea. . . .  (btw, do you happen to know if the Nuggets character by the same PA also works?)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 785

I purchased "Genesis 3 Female for Genesis 2 Female(s)" (http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s) thinking that I could use G2F with G3F clothes since they load into Carrara. It didn't work at all. Normally, I'd get the autofit window to pop up when I fit clothing to the wrong figure, but nothing. It works well in DAZ Studio to I figure it's loaded OK. I was able to fit G3 clothes to G2 in DAZ Studio, save as DUF, import into Carrara, but there's a lot of pokethrough and the clothes don't fit well. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks for the HU Stezza, you've actually given me an idea. . . .  (btw, do you happen to know if the Nuggets character by the same PA also works?)

I don't know... haven't got that one yet. 

Stonemasons Winter Castle

I created a mixer using the mask  in the operator and the rock and snow shaders

it sort of works, added normal maps as I checked each shader

I made a copy of the terrain and deleted bits for the rock distribution, its not the same but bearable

Octane render

Winter castle.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 621K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2017

The first time after loading Abatement looked like this:

This is how it looks after an hour of tweaking textures and lighting:

Abment_1try.png
    1000 x 650 - 960K
    Abment_repaired.png
    1500 x 975 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I have a general product question (rather than asking about a specific product).

I have several clothing and hair items that have "handles," those little balls that are supposed to help with adjustments.

Are handles supposed to work in Carrara?

I know you are not supposed to bump threads. 

But I would really like to know the answer.

Should I ask it in a separate thread?

Where is Dart when you need him?smiley

I have always just rotated the bones myself AFAIK those handles don't work

edited March 2017

Thanks!  I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something.

Except Dart.  I miss Dart.

This board seems awful quiet when he is not posting.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
    edited April 2017

I was having trouble with some of the items for 3DUniverse toon base figure.  The aviator shoes were not conforming correctly and I could not use Carrara's weightmapping tools effectively to address it.  I solved it by going in Studio, converting the base figure to triax weights, loading the problem shoe geometry, and using the transfer utility to convert the shoe mesh to a conforming figure.  The steps are here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2312921/#Comment_2312921

Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

thanks Diomede :)

edited April 2017

Impossible Images can work in Carrara with some fiddly adjustments..

The shading domains need readjusting for Carrara ( the DS shaders don't work, yet ) and the object location is a bit fiddly to get into the right camera position as it doesn't load in position.

impimage.jpg
    640 x 480 - 122K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Thanks, Stezza!  I had no idea that such a product existed.

I love impossible images.  Here is the impossible box from the late Jerry Andrus, who I knew very well:

cool hey.. couldn't get over how much Jerry looks like my dad in that video.. when it first started I thought WhatThe!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

I purchased "Genesis 3 Female for Genesis 2 Female(s)" (http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s) thinking that I could use G2F with G3F clothes since they load into Carrara. It didn't work at all. Normally, I'd get the autofit window to pop up when I fit clothing to the wrong figure, but nothing. It works well in DAZ Studio to I figure it's loaded OK. I was able to fit G3 clothes to G2 in DAZ Studio, save as DUF, import into Carrara, but there's a lot of pokethrough and the clothes don't fit well. Any ideas? Thanks.

The first thing that comes to mind is something I've gleaned from Misty:

Some Genesis 3 clothing doesn't like Carrara until we convert to "Blended Weights" in Daz Studio first.

I don't know if this is the case, but that's where I'd start.

The first thing that comes to mind is something I've gleaned from Misty:

Some Genesis 3 clothing doesn't like Carrara until we convert to "Blended Weights" in Daz Studio first.

I don't know if this is the case, but that's where I'd start.

save it as a support asset after autofit in D|S for Carrara

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 785

Thanks Dart and Wendy. I'll give those a try. I sort of gave up on trying G3 clothes on G2 once I purchased Misty's Janette and Jonathan. So far they've worked with most G3 clothes I've tried. It's an amazing product. It's got me buying in the store again. 

does the krampus figure work?  is modeled fur?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    Mistara said:

does the krampus figure work?  is modeled fur?

Should include a linky! ;) I haver a strong feeling you're talking about this Kampus instead of this one by RawArt for Genesis 3, in which case I don't have high hopes since his (sixus1) Blind Demon was reported to Not work in Carrara. Not sure though.

Carrara does work with DUF, but it is very possible to create DUF files that won't work in anything except Daz Studio.

Bummer if it doesn't, but it's common for artists to adopt a 'way of doing things' when building their stuff, so if one is built to not work in x software, it's likely that the next won't either, but that's certainly not always true - habits can and do change.

Some of his Poser figures have certainly caught my eye - been thinking about adding them to my Monster Manual. I bet those work in Carrara, but I'm not sure on that either.

no

none of Josh Crocket's standalone DAZ studio figures do even after converting to blended weights

Other Sixus figures do.