Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

No. The whole Linerender 'color ID' thing? Sketchy doesn't do that at all.

Some of the other edge detection, like fresnel, not really. Sketchy can suffer from the 'all near parallel surfaces turn completely black' like a lot of similar products do, while, again, ColorID-based lines in Linerender will avoid the problem.

That SAID, you can always combine the two products and Sketchy does most of the needed stuff REALLY well.

Another thing that most people might not have picked up on... the sketchy uses a texture map. Which means, if you want, you could replace it with some OTHER texture map, if you wanted, to create different artistic effects.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Ty for the info! :)

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited March 2017

Something non-toony.  This is just a re-render of one I did last year.

moniqque_sketch2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 854K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • lain105_eckomarslain105_eckomars Posts: 95
    edited March 2017

Something non-toony.  This is just a re-render of one I did last year.

wow, she looks fantastic!

Post edited by lain105_eckomars on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I'm having so much fun with this!

That's cool, and she looks cute... positively supa!

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    edited March 2017

I'm going to need some practice with this one I think, some of the results her on this thread are incredible!! For what it's worth though, I wasn't too displeased with my first usage:

SketchyTest.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    Post edited by KA1 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Question was raised about speed and GPU and CPU and so on.

This is Winter Hall, an environment that I've had ENORMOUS trouble trying to render in Iray, since it has about 19 billion maps and makes my card go 'WTF, dude?'

So, made it all Sketchy.

Also, as a further test, I gave it a 5 minute time limit and CPU only.

I'm... pretty darn happy with how it worked out!

I have an Alienware Area-51. 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.3 GHz (12 CPUs)

Looks great, Will! I haven't tried backgrounds yet, but it looks like this is going to work really well on backgrounds! 

nicstt said:

I'm having so much fun with this!

That's cool, and she looks cute... positively supa!

haha Thank you! :D She's a mix of Star 2.0 and SF Ball Joint Doll. :)

edited March 2017
    KA1 said:

I'm going to need some practice with this one I think, some of the results her on this thread are incredible!! For what it's worth though, I wasn't too displeased with my first usage:

That's adorable! :D Nicely done!

By the way, what outfit is that?

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited March 2017

This is a fun product & everyone has done some cool images -  Here is my test using the cat from "the other store"

cartooncat-bb.png
    800 x 800 - 465K
    Post edited by Tottallou on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    KA1 said:

Thank you, the outfit is Spring2Come for G3F and Mangatastic Satsuki with the sneakers switched out for Gothic Boots for G3F and Mangatastic Satsuki both by EdArt3D from the other render related site :)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

Question was raised about speed and GPU and CPU and so on.

This is Winter Hall, an environment that I've had ENORMOUS trouble trying to render in Iray, since it has about 19 billion maps and makes my card go 'WTF, dude?'

So, made it all Sketchy.

Also, as a further test, I gave it a 5 minute time limit and CPU only.

I'm... pretty darn happy with how it worked out!

I have an Alienware Area-51. 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.3 GHz (12 CPUs)

Cheers for the info will probably get the product and give it a try, be interesting to see how long it takes on my system which is in my sig..

KA1 said:
    KA1 said:

Thank you, the outfit is Spring2Come for G3F and Mangatastic Satsuki with the sneakers switched out for Gothic Boots for G3F and Mangatastic Satsuki both by EdArt3D from the other render related site :)

Thanks, KA1. :)

Tottallou said:

This is a fun product & everyone has done some cool images -  Here is my test using the cat from "the other store"

Kitty! :D Very cute!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

One more try at the Sketchy Shaders.  Not real crazy about the lines on the arm.  I would have liked something a little more subtle.  I'll have to play with it some more but I'm getting there, I think.

Original straight out of DS:

A little bit of postwork:

Gallery Link

One more try at the Sketchy Shaders.  Not real crazy about the lines on the arm.  I would have liked something a little more subtle.  I'll have to play with it some more but I'm getting there, I think.

Gallery Link

Looking good, KM! :) I agree about the lines on the arm - I find that with the skin, it's best to use the solid line shaders, rather than the textured ones. 

Old content, 'cloud city.'

Was iffy on using the fog, so got rid of it.

Cloud City sketch.png
    2160 x 2160 - 3M

Re: Lines on skin

Things that I've found helpful:

Using tri-planar projection

Using a finer scale

Gallery Link

Looking good, KM! :) I agree about the lines on the arm - I find that with the skin, it's best to use the solid line shaders, rather than the textured ones. 

Thanks, Diva!  At this point, I'm still just clicking presets to see what I like and what I'm not crazy about and trying to figure out why.  I'll have to take a look as I'm not sure which are the solid line versus the textured ones.  By textured, do you mean the ones with the dots?  I think what I used on the skin was one of the cross hatch ones, not sure if that is what you meant by solid lines.  If solid lines are something else, please tell.  I may not have found those yet.  There's just SO much there to play with!  I do know I need to get that update installed that DT posted.  I fixed the UV on this girl so many times.  But that was my own darn fault cause I downloaded the thing.  I just didn't install it yet.  I'll have to do that before I play with it again.

Old content, 'cloud city.'

Was iffy on using the fog, so got rid of it.

Nice, Will.  I like what you've did with this and Winter Hall.

Gallery Link

Thanks, Diva!  At this point, I'm still just clicking presets to see what I like and what I'm not crazy about and trying to figure out why.  I'll have to take a look as I'm not sure which are the solid line versus the textured ones.  By textured, do you mean the ones with the dots?  I think what I used on the skin was one of the cross hatch ones, not sure if that is what you meant by solid lines.  If solid lines are something else, please tell.  I may not have found those yet.  There's just SO much there to play with!  I do know I need to get that update installed that DT posted.  I fixed the UV on this girl so many times.  But that was my own darn fault cause I downloaded the thing.  I just didn't install it yet.  I'll have to do that before I play with it again.

Yeah, the ones with the basic outlines are called "Shader Basic" - it looks like you're using "Shader Sketch" or "Shader Cross Hatch". 

I have a fondness for weirdly cyclopean cityscapes and so on rendered in sketchy lines. Heh.

A tip for working with this product:

I generally find it good to apply one of the presets, then turn off Toon Outline (I think that's subfolder 4), get the diffuse outline to where you want it, then switch toon outline back on and play with that.

I have a fondness for weirdly cyclopean cityscapes and so on rendered in sketchy lines. Heh.

A tip for working with this product:

I generally find it good to apply one of the presets, then turn off Toon Outline (I think that's subfolder 4), get the diffuse outline to where you want it, then switch toon outline back on and play with that.

This sounds interesting. How do you change/move the diffuse outline?

03 subfolder handles Diffuse outline modifiers.

The first series of presets (01) in the subfolder basically just darkens the diffuse color.

The second series (02) changes the edge weight, the next changes the contrast, then normal strength, and then some color stuff.

Most of the time I only play with 02 and 03. 02 makes the outlines higher weight, while 03 handles how far 'in' the shading goes. I usually go back and forth between these two values.

With special shading (crosshatch, etc), it can be helpful to play with the scale (in subfolder 05, Draw styles), to make it large enough so you see the effect when playing with it. Once you get it mostly how you want, you might want to slowly step down the scale until it looks appealing.

That is, I usually want larger scale, obvious stuff to dial into where I want it, then tighten everything up to look smoother.

The first series of presets (01) in the subfolder basically just darkens the diffuse color.

The second series (02) changes the edge weight, the next changes the contrast, then normal strength, and then some color stuff.

Most of the time I only play with 02 and 03. 02 makes the outlines higher weight, while 03 handles how far 'in' the shading goes. I usually go back and forth between these two values.

With special shading (crosshatch, etc), it can be helpful to play with the scale (in subfolder 05, Draw styles), to make it large enough so you see the effect when playing with it. Once you get it mostly how you want, you might want to slowly step down the scale until it looks appealing.

That is, I usually want larger scale, obvious stuff to dial into where I want it, then tighten everything up to look smoother.

Excellent! Thank you for the tutorial. :) I feel a bit more solid about what does what now. I'm still learning, but your explination helps a lot. Thanks, Will! :)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
    edited March 2017

Well I bit the bullet and bought it, and my first test of it so it is still so so.. A lot of fiddling around but it does look good..

Day Out 1.jpg
    480 x 800 - 329K
    Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • pdspds Posts: 593

Great summary and explanation, Will! Since I read previously that you think you'll basically switch over to IRay now even for toon style work, may I ask what approach you'll take to achieving similar diffuse effects as done with pwToon?

edited March 2017

Well, I didn't do a lot of cartoon shading. To achieve really flatten shading to be more 'cartoon-like,' the biggest thing is just lighting, really.

I HAVE been attempting to find a good way to do really flat, cell-type artwork in Iray, and I haven't had a lot of success, other than making sure to have a lot of light.

One possibility is to use a Material ID canvas, but the problem is transparencies. (Like, transmapped hair just Doesn't Work)

Another possibility is to have two renders, and on the color pass use postwork to flatten the color.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

First Sketchy, then adding stuff to Fastgrab.  Very sneak way to drain my bank account on your products...!  cheeky