Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited January 2013

Cymbidium said:
    You're so very welcome!! Aren't they adorable at that age - I remember well when my two boys were little and oh so cute! They're grown men now.....:)......no longer cute, but still nice to have around (most of the time, lol). Maybe you could get him a toy cat instead of a real one? ;)

Oh he does have a toy cat, that sings :P It runs around on wheels... only one of the wheels broke recently so cat is no more. He loved that cat tho, its what got him walking :D He'd hug it and pet it. hehehe. Er I suppose i would be correct in saying he no longer has a pet cat. I should see what there is now for a 2 year old.

That explains why he so loves cat images! :) My eldest son used to zoom around the house on a toy 'police car' long before he could walk and has had a lifelong interest in cars - well both of them have in fact. Hope you manage to find a suitable cat 'pet' for him.

Post edited by Cymbidium on
  • RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Thanks. It doesn't matter if I send a Genesis figure or just a simple cube, the OSD won't appear in the comb function. Weird huh?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Also, to other folks...

I am making some anime styled hair presets, and when when i change the head shape of genesis very much (as with Aiko or hitomi or mavka) it messes up the styling. Currently I was working with 50% Hitomi, 50% Satsuki but I could probably change it.

Keepin the shape relatively simple what base anime genesis shape would you prefer?

I'm still struggling getting a convincing anime look myself. I'm fine with a 50% hitomi, 50% satsuki mix. Can't wait to pick apart your preset to see what I haven't been able to figure out.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Should be up soon :) Clump tool, and smooth, it's your friend :D

edited December 1969

thx for sharing.

I did a lot of clumping I assure you. And smooth too. The guides looked close to what I wanted and even the preview in LAMH wasn't to bad. But when it got to studio it was yuck. I tried several export options and it just never worked out.

If it wasn't the fact the character I'm working on really needs a stylized hair style I wouldn't keep trying. Mundane real world looks really aren't going to work for her and she needs extra long hair and I only have one long hair anime hairstyle in my runtime and I used it recently so I can't re-use just yet.

edited January 2013

BTW, is there a way to bulk update shave groups? Like I changed my hair color and hair thickness but I've been going into all 8 shave groups to manually update them.

WHen you split a shave group up, it would be nice if the newly generated shave group copied over the settings from the original. This would be a time saver.

Also would be nice if the cursor provided some feedback as to whether you are currently mousing over a hair guide or not. Sometimes especially with smaller brushes I think I am over hair and turns out I'm not so I end up rotating the figure.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

larsmidnatt, those are some good ideas.... especially the ability to specific group settings en masse! Or set a default for them.

What do you think of this hairstyle?

LongHair2.jpg
    467 x 729 - 283K
    LongHair1.jpg
    541 x 851 - 452K
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

BTW, is there a way to bulk update shave groups? Like I changed my hair color and hair thickness but I've been going into all 8 shave groups to manually update them.

WHen you split a shave group up, it would be nice if the newly generated shave group copied over the settings from the original. This would be a time saver.

Also would be nice if the cursor provided some feedback as to whether you are currently mousing over a hair guide or not. Sometimes especially with smaller brushes I think I am over hair and turns out I'm not so I end up rotating the figure.

Good points, I will discuss these with Kendall! Thanks for the feedback...

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

OK, bought LAMH, was loving the ease of the interface, had a great first hair style, but, unfortunately, did not save the first render :(....Then I tried to export as an .obj, and got an error message stating error during export, and Daz froze and crashed. Now, every time I try and render the hair, I get an error message stating there was an error during render, and Daz freezes and crashes. Luckily I saved the hair as a preset, so I keep re-opening Daz and trying again. No luck. Went into LAMH log file, but only the successful export is listed.....see image.....Please advise.....maybe I need to increase the RAM in my laptop.....? Oh, PS, I wasn't running anything else on the laptop at the time.....

LAMH_Log_01-11-2013.jpg
    1300 x 768 - 266K
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    OK, bought LAMH, was loving the ease of the interface, had a great first hair style, but, unfortunately, did not save the first render :(....Then I tried to export as an .obj, and got an error message stating error during export, and Daz froze and crashed. Now, every time I try and render the hair, I get an error message stating there was an error during render, and Daz freezes and crashes. Luckily I saved the hair as a preset, so I keep re-opening Daz and trying again. No luck. Went into LAMH log file, but only the successful export is listed.....see image.....Please advise.....maybe I need to increase the RAM in my laptop.....? Oh, PS, I wasn't running anything else on the laptop at the time.....

Hi Stevie, if you are rendering to RenderMan curves please remember to keep LAMH open during this process (this will be addressed in upcoming 1.1 update).
    It the issue occurs exporting and rendering to .OBJ, you should give me more information about your system: is it a 32 or 64bit OS? How much RAM? Are you sure you have at least 20-30GB of free disk space?

edited December 1969

StevieC said:

Hi Stevie, if you are rendering to RenderMan curves please remember to keep LAMH open during this process (this will be addressed in upcoming 1.1 update).
    It the issue occurs exporting and rendering to .OBJ, you should give me more information about your system: is it a 32 or 64bit OS? How much RAM? Are you sure you have at least 20-30GB of free disk space?

I have 197GB of RAM left on my laptop (out of 584GB), and it's a 64bit OS.....had major crash problems with Garibaldi as well.....getting set to go out and purchase extra external hard drive to dump a bunch of files in to free up space in my laptop, maybe that will help.....

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    I have 197GB of RAM left on my laptop (out of 584GB), and it's a 64bit OS.....had major crash problems with Garibaldi as well.....getting set to go out and purchase extra external hard drive to dump a bunch of files in to free up space in my laptop, maybe that will help.....

That is your hard drive space. To find your RAM:
    Start button> right click on computer> Properties
    or
    Start button>left click on computer> look down at the bottom

edited December 1969

Here you go.....

Computer_Specs.jpg
    1079 x 663 - 96K
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

larsmidnatt, those are some good ideas.... especially the ability to specific group settings en masse! Or set a default for them.

Nice job - has a real nice anime look to it. I'm impressed with the different ways people are using this product.

edited December 1969

Very cool the lines are clean and simple which is great. Good color too :)

• alanb11alanb11 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am familiar with the clump tool, but I don't know what you mean by smooth. Can you explain what that is.

Thanks

edited December 1969

alanb11 said:

I am familiar with the clump tool, but I don't know what you mean by smooth. Can you explain what that is.

Thanks

I believe she is referencing the option you get when you hold the spacebar to bring up the OSD. you can slide a dial to make the comb tool smooth instead of linear.

edited December 1969

er actually i just mean brush it out a bit ..haha. I've never experimented with smooth/linear, or I did and didn't think I needed it...

When I clump very strongly (as I tend to do as I'm impatient, hee hee), it can make some of the hair crimp up, so I usually have to brush it out- by that, just grab the end of the hair (the point, where I clumped at the hair tip) and pull it down, that will smooth out any disgruntled hair. LOL.

If you have a particular style you'd like me to try, Larsmidnatt, please let me know. I may not make it exactly (for copyright reason) and level of my ability :P
    I am starting to work on a mix and match set... I think it would be useful no matter what style hair (real, anime)

edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Here you go.....

Hi Stevie, from your system information I see that there are less than 4GB of RAM available. That might get you into trouble when dealing with large amount of data. Rendering or exporting to .OBJ a very dense fur might consume easily that 3GB of RAM, swap to disk and possibly crash the application.
    My suggestion, given the quite affordable price, is to expand your system memory (RAM) to possibly 12 or 16GB. That will allow to mangle large amount of data.

edited January 2013

Finally I was able to introduce a new shader that will account for light scattering from human hair fibers.

This shader, which is almost complete and integrated for upcoming 1.1 update, will compute transmission and reflection for each hair fiber allowing to produce visually distinguishable highlights.

The renders included in this post are done with mid quality settings and not even with the latest shader version (which is calculating also azimuth range and attenuation from the hair root).

So these are only the first test renders done so far with this new cool feature, I'll make sure to post more images as they get done by me and the testers!

This is only one of the features that we've been working on and that will be brought to your attention very soon.

copper.jpg
    790 x 868 - 319K
    blond.jpg
    790 x 868 - 310K
    blonder.jpg
    790 x 868 - 307K
    red_brown.jpg
    790 x 868 - 307K
    light_brown.jpg
    790 x 868 - 312K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited January 2013

And two more from the same set...

Besides having standard presets, this shader features 33 parameters, which allow to define scatter area widths/color/range/blending in so many ways.

light_brown_3.jpg
    790 x 868 - 298K
    light_brown_2.jpg
    790 x 868 - 301K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • patty_b8f1b37508patty_b8f1b37508 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

I just bought Look At My Hair because I want to make some furred aliens.

(OK scratch the previous question, I found the code)

I registered, but as soon as I click create new Look At My Hair Object, DAZ crashes. I can't even open the plugin

This is the error code:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Windows\system32\ig4icd64.dll" at 0033:000000000AF79C80, DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries()+2216432 byte(s)

Post edited by patty_b8f1b37508 on
    edited December 1969

mikandra said:
    I just bought Look At My Hair because I want to make some furred aliens.

(OK scratch the previous question, I found the code)

I registered, but as soon as I click create new Look At My Hair Object, DAZ crashes. I can't even open the plugin

This is the error code:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Windows\system32\ig4icd64.dll" at 0033:000000000AF79C80, DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries()+2216432 byte(s)

Hi minandra, that's caused by an outdated Intel graphic driver. Please go here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true , click "CONTINUE" and it will scan and update your Intel GFX drivers.
    Once that's done, reboot your pc and you should be OK. Let me know if that works...

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
    edited December 1969

Wow... I love it! I have the feeling, that I have to learn still much but I get today some furry cloth, I wish to do for sooooo long ;)

Here is my render "Jon Snow"

JonSnow4a_kl.png
    650 x 701 - 601K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

And two more from the same set...

Besides having standard presets, this shader features 33 parameters, which allow to define scatter area widths/color/range/blending in so many ways.

Nice Alex. The shine really makes the hair more real. Looking forward to getting the update!

edited December 1969

Juju said:
    Wow... I love it! I have the feeling, that I have to learn still much but I get today some furry cloth, I wish to do for sooooo long ;)

Here is my render "Jon Snow"

Cool render Juju! Take your time to learn and experiment: if you need help doing or understanding something please ask.

edited December 1969

A quick example about using the stamp tool to quickly setup a custom shaped shave group in Look at my Hair.

Null the density map, load a custom .png brush, click on a spot while in 3D Paint. Done.

Here is a test render done after using a "spider" brush...

spider1.jpg
    800 x 842 - 418K
    LAMH_spider.jpg
    1320 x 1112 - 407K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Can we make the hair strands thinner as nearly every image I have seen the hair seems too thick to be realistic enough for me. Yeah I am doing my homework first. :)

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the advise Alessandro! I had the hair count at 5,000,000 originally, which is why my poor 5 year old laptop crashed Daz, so I brought it down to 10,000, and successfully exported and rendered it in 3Delight......then I also successfully exported it as an .obj, and launched Reality....it's now cooking in LuxRender......I'll post it when it gets to 1,000 s/p......Thank you sooooo much for this wonderfull plugin! So much easier to use than that (clears throat) "other" plug in.......being a former hairdresser who did a lot of wild and crazy styles for hair shows many years ago, I can now reproduce my award winning styles in 3D! Thank you Alessandro and Kendall! Here's my first "simple" hair style......

LAMH_Male_Model_Wild.jpg
    905 x 566 - 214K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Can we make the hair strands thinner as nearly every image I have seen the hair seems too thick to be realistic enough for me. Yeah I am doing my homework first. :)

Yes. The width of the strands is settable at both the root and tip.

Kendall