Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

In case you are curious, here is the same render with reflective cubes.

More_on_mapping_v13.jpg
    600 x 600 - 222K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

and here we have a wholely Bryce manufactured scene, 100% Bryce no added fillers, by products, or preservatives.

artsy-thingy.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 169K
    edited December 1969

In case you are curious, here is the same render with reflective cubes.

outstanding stuff David, lots of great information to absorb there.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    something different from the space images.. the outcome of randomly clicking on things with structure synth.

Very nice. The backdrop looks quite similar to the Indoor HDRI that came with the Bryce content. Or like the Wings3D building in this tutorial http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/online/tut14/minitut14_en.html but of course, it can be something different.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Rareth said:
    something different from the space images.. the outcome of randomly clicking on things with structure synth.

Very nice. The backdrop looks quite similar to the Indoor HDRI that came with the Bryce content. Or like the Wings3D building in this tutorial http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/online/tut14/minitut14_en.html but of course, it can be something different.

nope its one of yours, found it when browsing through the presets,

I haven't tried any that came with Modo, at least I haven't tried them in Bryce..

edited December 1969

I used my trusty Spherical Mapper but if you don't want to part with any money, you can achieve the same results by assembling six cube faces. Horo has a tutorial on his website. It's a bit fiddly that way, but the results are slightly more accurate. Then again, re my comment above. Ease of use wins out for me.

Ahm - actually, this tutorial comes with the content of Bryce 7.1 Pro, along with 3 other methods. Since there ain't no such thing as a free lunch (tanstaafl), it is more labour intensive than the Spherical Mapper. Whatever comes easier to you - money or time ;)

edited December 1969

@Rareth - the latest one is also very nice. Thanks for the clarification about the backdrop.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Had an "Oooh Shiny" moment when I saw this. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14776/#214872

Now could we do that in Bryce I wonder.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Had an "Oooh Shiny" moment when I saw this. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14776/#214872

Yes but... combined with fancy lighting... render times are going to be... significant.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2013

David...this sperical mapping technique looks very promising. I'm still uncertain as to what it can do as it looks very techy for my limited experience in Bryce, but are you saying that it is now possible to sperically map something like a 2D, grayscale bump map onto a sphere, which would then render as a 3D version? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    David...this sperical mapping technique looks very promising. I'm still uncertain as to what it can do as it looks very techy for my limited experience in Bryce, but are you saying that it is now possible to sperically map something like a 2D, grayscale bump map onto a sphere, which would then render as a 3D version? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Jay

Yes you could do that too. One of the problems we all face with rendering is that as the complexity of the render and the render method increases so does the render time. Being able to turn 3D space into 2D space and then project it back into the scene and make it look 3D is a good way to save time - but always as a compromise. Spherical mapping is one way of achieving this, before I've used the spherical maps as backdrops to scenes, but in this case, I thought it was an interesting experiment to put them inside the scene and at the same time explore a bit how reflection mapping works. I admit it is a bit of a mind bending exercise if you come to the topic cold, but hopefully I'll be able to turn the process into a method that does not really require any understanding. Just an ability to follow the steps.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I've made a start, mat needs tweaking, as it was included in the pro content.

glass-dolphin.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 107K
    edited January 2013

David...aha...that looks very promising - will have to look into it more then as it's something of interest to my needs. Many thanks. Off now to watch your Nuts and Bolts vid.

Jay

edited December 1969

2nd try with the Dolphin

glass-dolphin2.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 105K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    2nd try with the Dolphin

Coming along well.

edited December 1969

not sure what he means by metalized glass, still working on the shader mat in bryce..

meanwhile I had to do the Chrome Dolphin,

chrome-dolphin.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 103K
    edited January 2013

Rareth said:
    not sure what he means by metalized glass, still working on the shader mat in bryce..

meanwhile I had to do the Chrome Dolphin,

yes I was wondering about that. Metals have the property of tinting the reflection, glass and other "non metals" do not do this and their reflections relate to the colour of the object light being reflected and is unmodified. If you want to make a glass reflection behave more like a metal reflection then you can tint the reflection with the metallicity. This takes the colour of the diffuse channel and uses it to modify the colour of the reflected light. There may be some glasses in the real world that have a metalic coating? I don't know. Like baubles for example? Anyway, that's a possibility.

Image1.jpg
    687 x 558 - 132K
    Image2.jpg
    674 x 561 - 129K
    Image3.jpg
    660 x 523 - 130K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

There may be some glasses in the real world that have a metalic coating? I don't know. Like baubles for example? Anyway, that's a possibility.

Baubles are painted (often) from inside with thicker paint layer. I'm always thinking of them as a metallic spheres with coloured glass (or transparent glass with another semi-transparent) coating. There's also a material that is called 'iridescent glass' - which have thinner (sometimes uneven) layer on top that is like an oil spill coating.

I'm posting a quick test:
    - render per each image channel (RGB)
    - along with varying IOR for each channel (dispersion) I'm also changing specular halo
    - I've put 'rainbow noise' in diffuse channel (could be also transparent colour channel) for one of images
    - 90% refraction, 10% reflection, 0% metallic
    - glossy reflections and glossy refractions on
    - TIR on

- it could be a nice idea to put noise in specular halo (glossiness) channel and shift the noise pattern for each of renders (it could be a different type of iridescence)
    - playing with anisotropy per RGB channel

13_irid_glass.png
    375 x 300 - 163K
    12_multicol_glass.png
    375 x 300 - 160K
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: Dolphin looks nice.

I thought about trying this image not long after completing the entire scene. But CRS kicked in and it just now left, thank goodness. :lol: Anyway, I've moved the camera in close to the temple, so a bit of the stone in the center of the dome and details of the temple can be seen. I like how the temple turned out with this view, but I'm not real happy how the mountains rendered. Seems to me the cragginess of them would be more pronounced with the camera setting closer. I tried editing he terrain, rotating the material, but still not happy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

@David: I keep forgetting to ask, in the basket weave images, do I understand that is mapped material on those objects? I like their look, and was wondering how the weave was accomplished.

Canyon_13.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Rareth: Dolphin looks nice.

I thought about trying this image not long after completing the entire scene. But CRS kicked in and it just now left, thank goodness. :lol: Anyway, I've moved the camera in close to the temple, so a bit of the stone in the center of the dome and details of the temple can be seen. I like how the temple turned out with this view, but I'm not real happy how the mountains rendered. Seems to me the cragginess of them would be more pronounced with the camera setting closer. I tried editing he terrain, rotating the material, but still not happy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

@David: I keep forgetting to ask, in the basket weave images, do I understand that is mapped material on those objects? I like their look, and was wondering how the weave was accomplished.

the lighting on the temp looks great

edited December 1969

ok last try on the material before bedtime

irridesence-dolphin.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 120K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Rareth – the skyscraper is very nice. I agree with GussNemo 5 minutes for someone who knows Booleaning. ;-) I like the dolphins, the last one is superb.

Michael – another stunning image.

David – your experiments are very informative. One day, I hope in the near future, I will understand it all.

GussNemo – the lighting is cool, nice camera position.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: Thanks. I was rather surprised how well the lighting turned out, once I moved the camera closer to get the latest image. And I think the color you've chosen for your latest dolphin is by far the best. Not only does it give the sort of dolphin color but a glass appearance as well. That's a real nice image.

@mermaid: Thank you. The lighting was a surprise after moving the camera closer. And it took a few starts/stops until I like the camera position.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

OK, no problem, I started with a repeating pattern that is a square. (first image) And built a cube out of 2D faces with each of these faces with this pattern on.

I then placed the Spherical Mapper inside that cube and created a spherical map of the six cube face pattern. (second image)

This is the height map. This can then be spherically mapped onto the objects shown before. Grab the images if you want to experiment.

The coloured image was produces in a similar fashion, but obviously involved a bit of colouring too.

weave_height_mirror.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 615K
    weave_Height_Map.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 224K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok last try on the material before bedtime

That does look good.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The lost Marble.
    OK, and now I go and watch Coronation Street :)

bloop_087.jpg
    1078 x 712 - 275K
    edited January 2013

Rareth...must be my weird sense of mat choice but I liked your first (crystal) dolphin most...but keep experiementing - you might change my views :)

Dwsel...there's something about the specular effect (and diffusion effects, too) in works I like - think it adds something different to an image at times.

Guss...don't know if it is the lighting or colour of light in your recent work that looks great, but this temple is somewhere I'd love to be visiting. Now, where again in the world is it at? ;)

Eireann...Coronation Street...haha...that brings me back (can't look at the show now...a little bit like Eastenders also...just too many argumenting). The Big Bang Theory is the show for now...Basinga ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

Rareth – the skyscraper is very nice. I agree with GussNemo 5 minutes for someone who knows Booleaning. ;-) I like the dolphins, the last one is superb.

David – your experiments are very informative. One day, I hope in the near future, I will understand it all.

as I said, there are no booleans in that skyscraper, just stacked primatives

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited January 2013

Rareth said:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't stacking some sort of boolean too. I really need to go back to the basics.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't stacking some sort of boolean too. I really need to go back to the basics.

No stacking is just like playing with kids building bricks, but in a 3 d world. Pile one on top of the other. :)

This discussion has been closed.