Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited January 2013

David’s grass tut.,...love the second image down as it shows a mix of grasses and weeds?, and takes away from the monotonous grassy feel, which sometimes occurs when viewed over wide areas. Doing such works (as with trees, too) can be very frustrating I’ve found in the past, as that you have so much that looks the same, the image becomes overwhelmed by too much greenery (too many trees etc.,).

The contrasting of lighter grass groups (trees, or even objects, too) against darker backgrounds and vice-versa - as David shows - breaks up the monotony, while the tips/tops of some grasses/weeds catching upper light adds to the reality. Don’t be too disappointed, then, if grass or tree renders don’t work, as they are very, very tricky.

Jay
    (grass and tree expert...wishing to digitise his weedy lawn to a grassy one :) )

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Indeed, often the grass looks better when it is only partially rendered than when it is finished.

Would it be an option to exclude the grassy object from the AA-pass? Faster render, better looking? Just a thought.

That is partially what turning the AA threshold up achieves, but what I meant was even before the final render pass it can look better, when it is excessively pixelated.

Jay, thank you yes, the whole process is one of continuous rescaling of the components to get the balance correct. Getting just the right level of irregularity but not so much as it no longer looks congruent. I'm no fan of gardening myself, but then again, I don't get on with pollen, so it's no surprise I don't want to spend much time out in the company of plants during the summer.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2013

@Horo yes structure synth is alot of fun to play around with, all the objects I've done lately have come from it,

@everyone, thanks for the great comments, I'm having alot of fun comming up with Bryce Scenes to work with the objects it's really getting the imagination flowing.

Here's one from last night was a 9 hour render.

The Shadows are coming.

shadows-coming.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 160K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969
    Underwater_gel_light_v4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 232K
    Underwater_gel_light_v3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 194K
    Underwater_gel_light_v2.jpg
    637 x 850 - 190K
    Underwater_gel_light_v1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 257K
    Underwater_gel_light_v0.jpg
    1244 x 700 - 519K
    edited December 1969

David the underwater effect looks amazing,

The shadow image is using the Crab Nebula volumetric texture on a very large cube thats well away from the camera.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

The Shadows are coming.

OMG Rareth, my all time favorite sci-fi show!!! An Excellent representation of the Shadows!! :coolsmile:
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: These latest underwater scenes are great. I feel as though I'm actually underwater. Really nice job.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,130
    edited December 1969

And if anyone is interested how that collaboration went on for 20 projects, here you can find how things developed from the idea to the finished render. http://nibor.horo.ch/

edited December 1969

Horo said:

And if anyone is interested how that collaboration went on for 20 projects, here you can find how things developed from the idea to the finished render. http://nibor.horo.ch/

Those pictures on that site are awesome. nice job.

edited January 2013

On somewhat a 'similar' watery theme to those above but from above (another one for my oriental theme started sometime back). Was going to disable the sun, however, the double shadows, I felt, added structure.

Title: “Ducktails”

Jay

ducktails1.jpg
    1200 x 723 - 980K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    On somewhat a 'similar' watery theme to those above but from above (another one for my oriental theme started sometime back). Was going to disable the sun, however, the double shadows, I felt, added structure.

Title: “Ducktails”

Jay

Nice

edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - Nice, indeed. I like the camera angle.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Now I had got this process written down in a forum thread somewhere, but... this forums search capabilities are somewhat limited and I can't find the thread any more. So that just makes life a little bit more difficult. As I recall the key words were "shell" and "offset" so if anyone can figure out how to get the search here to boolean two words in the advanced search then the thread might be found.

Just google for phrase:
    shell offset site:www.daz3d.com/forums/

edited January 2013

dwsel_ said:
    Now I had got this process written down in a forum thread somewhere, but... this forums search capabilities are somewhat limited and I can't find the thread any more. So that just makes life a little bit more difficult. As I recall the key words were "shell" and "offset" so if anyone can figure out how to get the search here to boolean two words in the advanced search then the thread might be found.

Just google for phrase:
    shell offset site:www.daz3d.com/forums/

Thank you Dwsel!

Dave,

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12144/

Nice work Jay. Nice work Jay - Edit, see, I'd have not been able to resist the temptation to try and show the bottom of the pond. But I don't think that would have helped, but I'd just be tempted.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Rareth. Horo and David...always nice, and love doing these minimalistic works (less is more attempts...etc.,). Plus, they don't take too long to do in Bryce.

Cheers ;)

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Here is my latest: rock, glass, stairs. ( Stairs is an item I bought and downloaded, I'm not skilled enough to create my own.) I've added the wireframe, overhead view.

spheres30b.png
    964 x 885 - 153K
    spheres30.png
    1754 x 915 - 849K
    Post edited by GeroblueJim on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Indeed, often the grass looks better when it is only partially rendered than when it is finished.

Would it be an option to exclude the grassy object from the AA-pass? Faster render, better looking? Just a thought.

@Rareth - Thanks again for the tip about the option to export objects from Structure Synth. The city is a Structure Synth object (example Navla Systems with Seed set to 6), the backdrop is from David and my Deep Space 1 HDRI. Still a WIP.
    Always watching Stargate Atlantis, is it? LOL

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    @Horo yes structure synth is alot of fun to play around with, all the objects I've done lately have come from it,

@everyone, thanks for the great comments, I'm having alot of fun comming up with Bryce Scenes to work with the objects it's really getting the imagination flowing.

The Shadows are coming.

I thought they were defeated in Season 4 of Babylon 5 ;)
    Nice shadows.
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

The Shadows are coming.

I thought they were defeated in Season 4 of Babylon 5 ;)
    Nice shadows.
    Hmmmm, was it Season 4? I can't remember. One of these days I have to buy all the seasons on DVD. I'd like to watch them all again. :-)
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Did the allowable size of posted images get smaller recently?

step2f.png
    803 x 598 - 889K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: That's a very nice image.

@Geroblue: Like the look of that image, it's very interesting.

@mx: That image has a great mood. Nicely done.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thank you David, but sadly no good to me, I don't use Daz Studio. :)

edited January 2013

mx42b said:

If I'm not mistaken, image size doesn't matter, but file size does. 399,999,999 Bytes or 381.4 MB. Nice picture, by the way.

@GeroblueJim - interesting picture.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

mx42b said:

2000 x 2000 pixels. It is the largest image upload size we have ever had on the site. It is then auto resized for the forum, but clicking on the image will give the full size version.

We do prefer that you keep the kb size to a reasonable figure, as really large files will clog page loading speeds for those with less than optimmum specs, however even that size is generous, because you will notice it says max 9999 kb. That of course is the combined upload size of the permitted 5 attachments maximum per post.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2013

chohole said:
    mx42b said:

2000 x 2000 pixels. It is the largest image upload size we have ever had on the site. It is then auto resized for the forum, but clicking on the image will give the full size version.

We do prefer that you keep the kb size to a reasonable figure, as really large files will clog page loading speeds for those with less than optimmum specs, however even that size is generous, because you will notice it says max 9999 kb. That of course is the combined upload size of the permitted 5 attachments maximum per post.I always reduce the quality a bit to be not such a burden for the forum.
    BUT I must say attaching is full of weirdness.
    I tried to attach an Image in a PM to someone and the software refused accepting the image although it was smaller than 250 kB.
    Here the image, it should not be too big.
    PS: here it seems to work but not in the Private Messenger.

macr2_(1200x800).jpg
    1200 x 800 - 207K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

@mx42b
    I like the shapes of that woman :coolgrin:

@Horo
    I like the Stargate Atlantis city render,very nice, i'm a fan of Stargate movies :coolsmile:
    I tried something related to the Stargate too, you can see bellow the result :A Goauld Planet :lol:

@David
    Ty for feedback for my "Lost in the Horizon" scene with the sun rays :)
    The light gel used on your underwater scenes makes them complete and perfect.
    I might start a new project with the image posted bellow as reference and i won't challenge you because i will lose :lol:
    (at the moment i'm working on modelling/texturing a big mossy river stone)
    Reference image from an youtube videoclip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94HYEe1bOFU

A-Goauld-Planet.jpg
    910 x 516 - 366K
    Suggestion_scene.jpg
    1114 x 768 - 286K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    mx42b said:

We do prefer that you keep the kb size to a reasonable figure, as really large files will clog page loading speeds for those with less than optimmum specs, however even that size is generous, because you will notice it says max 9999 kb. That of course is the combined upload size of the permitted 5 attachments maximum per post.

I always reduce the quality a bit to be not such a burden for the forum.
    BUT I must say attaching is full of weirdness.
    I tried to attach an Image in a PM to someone and the software refused accepting the image although it was smaller than 250 kB.
    Here the image, it should not be too big.
    PS: here it seems to work but not in the Private Messenger.

Yeah we are experiencing some weirdness at the moment with images not attaching in PMs, nor as Avatars or banner images in signature lines. We have flagged it up to DAZ 3D, and hope they can investigate the issue

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

Since the subject is open and related to forum displaying issues , i want to ask admins or moderators:
    Is it possible to change the forum images displaying mode by admins so we can add a comment between images ?
    Sometimes we (might) need to add a comment for the next image but seems this is not possible.. :down:
    (i'm using google chrome)
    Thank you.

Edit: Oh, ok, thank you very much for the reply Cohole and i'm sorry if this has been asked before on daz forum, im not a power user of the forums at the moment but this option would be awesome if was possible

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

No not something that can be done with this software, unfortunately.

edited December 1969

It all started innocently enough with making the companion files for this tutorial...

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - object cubic and spherical mapping - a 30 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

However... with mapping modes, nothing is as straight forwards as it seems - or as internally consistent as it should be.

So... I think the initial problem relates to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4UGZEjG02s if you want to get technical about it. Otherwise you do what I did and spend several frustrating minutes turning arrows around and around.

The practical upshot is this, some patterns wrap nicely around spheres and some do not. The key is either being cool with the fact that there are poles. Or hiding them in the pattern. But this is just the warm up. Things are going to get knotty.

Cubic_parametric_spherical_mapping_v5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 352K
    Cubic_parametric_spherical_mapping_v1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 410K
    Cubic_parametric_spherical_mapping_v0.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 399K
This discussion has been closed.