Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

David
    All the scenes are great but the 4th got my attention because of that light ring.I guess that can be used as a light trail for the Tron Bike if i can get a bike on bryce as obj .Maybe i missed something, is there a tutorial or which material is used on that light ring? Ty.
    For those who want to play with a Tron Bike here is a free bike http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/549520 unfortunately in .blend format for blender but with textures .
    And here is another free Tron Bike http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-ma-mode-tron-legacy-light/712498 but unfortunately in .mb for Maya without textures and under STUDENT LIcense (free Maya version for students) which means can not be redistributed as a model on that form.
    First blender model image with the light trail :

tron_bike_blender.jpg
    600 x 373 - 59K
    Post edited by cris333 on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 - 04 January 2013 02:09 PM

@ eireann.sg:
    Did you use ChaosPro to make the cube for the image you posted here?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9770/P1485

I ask because I just saw it on their website:
    http://www.chaospro.de/features.php?PHPSESSID=80cf095b9d0c51696bfc6b54b06915fe

I used Wings.for that cube.

Ok, thanks.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

well its freezing here, so I thought I do an appropriate Bryce image.

ice_castle2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 650K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

That's gorgeous!! I like that a lot!!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    David
    All the scenes are great but the 4th got my attention because of that light ring.I guess that can be used as a light trail for the Tron Bike if i can get a bike on bryce as obj .Maybe i missed something, is there a tutorial or which material is used on that light ring? Ty.
    For those who want to play with a Tron Bike here is a free bike http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/549520 unfortunately in .blend format for blender but with textures .
    And here is another free Tron Bike http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-ma-mode-tron-legacy-light/712498 but unfortunately in .mb for Maya without textures and under STUDENT LIcense (free Maya version for students) which means can not be redistributed as a model on that form.
    First blender model image with the light trail :

The rings are for a demonstration of something not working, but the effect is interesting. The video to go with these specific files has not yet been made, I'm still at the experimenting/planning stage. However, the effect is also covered here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-o5LsuL9WI

If you want to capture the effect in mid air, you could use a material that is both transparent and diffuse - that way it only shows up where light hits it. Much like the same process with shadow capture for HDRI - but turned on its head - indeed it is easier to capture light than it is to capture shadows. The shadow capture videos are in the list over at Bryce Tutorials, as the one listed above.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003
    edited December 1969

@ Stuart – now that’s a cool idea, Rubik’s Cube for beginners. I have ChaosPro but never realized I would export as an object. Thanks for posting the link. I will have a look and see if I can export them as objects.

@ David – your various experiments are every inspiring.

@ Rareth – I like all your images, I like doing fractals too. The last one – freezing is lovely. The clouds are awesome

@ Dan – that’s one great image.

@ Cjreynolds – I like both your images. David also did a video on the first. I remember seeing the video but did not do the tutorial.

@ Dave – very nice work.

@ Eireanne – I like your enthusiasm to try new things. Thanks for sharing.

@ Keryna – very nice silvery/topazy abstract.

@Cris333- nice render

edited December 1969

Thank you all for the nice comments about the Fractals,

The one with the crystaline structure in space the object is 1.2 million polygons, so I kept the scene simple.

the "Ice Castle" I really like it, it turned out great. once again a fairly simple scene due to the geometry of the fractal object,
    I did a 2nd render of it with terrain objects added to break up the ground a bit, it also turned out well. but for some reason DAZ is now telling me my standard resolution I use for my Bryce Renders is too big to post here, (didn't use to be that way).

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

@Mermaid
    Oh no, that tron bike is not my render, is just a web image, a blender render, which i posted it here as reference to remind or to show how it looks the light trail from the Tron Bikes and to get an answer if its possible to get this in Bryce.However you can see bellow a scene with rays using the lit rays material.

Thank you very much David
    I thought that the ring is a solid object with some kind of material applied but i saw the tutorial and now i see there is just a light sphere effect.I will try what you said here and in tutorial on a future project to see if i can get a nice result.
    I thought its simple similar to "lit rays" material from MATERIALS>Misc>Lights>Lit Rays which i used it on the scene bellow to create the sun rays through a (yours i think) slab from a free content scene in Bryce and the terrain from the eolian generators scene.

lost_in_the_horizon_wireframe.jpg
    1002 x 547 - 345K
    lost_in_the_horizon.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 330K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

2nd render of the Ice Castle

ice_castle2-daz.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 690K
    edited December 1969

Those streaming light rays look good, cris333. Credit where credit is due, a fellow called Frozencry on Bryce5.com came up with this idea, indeed, his original images and source material is available there.

Today then? Grass companion files.

Bryce grass terrains - a 25 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Remixes and experiments.

Grass_v4.jpg
    750 x 487 - 213K
    Grass_v3.jpg
    974 x 487 - 300K
    Grass_v2.jpg
    770 x 500 - 293K
    Grass_v1.jpg
    750 x 487 - 319K
    Grass_v0.jpg
    750 x 422 - 236K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Mighty fine grass David - yet another tutorial I need to find the tome for LOL.

edited December 1969

@David - I agree with Dan. Wonderfully realistic grass. :-)

@Rareth - I like the second render of your Ice Palace, but somehow I like the first one better. Not sure why as the other objects on the ground do add some more interest, but there's something about the pristine ground in the first version that just fits perfectly with the "Ice Palace" title.

edited December 1969

Thank you Miss B and Dan, well the thing is... it's not really real... here I've used more of an painters trick than a 3D artists. Back in the dim dark distant past when pixels were not just a twinkle but giant pavings stones and rendering was only for super computers, and artists used paint. It wasn't really practical to paint every blade of grass (but clearly these days we could - given the right tools and some time, render every blade of grass). However, Bryce doesn't quite have the right tools, so what I've tried to create here is the impression of grass. Grassishness - if you will. By simulating what the eye sees when it takes in grass as a whole. If you look closely at any part of the grass here, it's a mixture of semi transparent ovals of different colours and scales. The impression though, is easy on the eye I find. Possibly better, depending on the subject, than exact simulation - for "artistic" reasons. And that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mighty fine grass David - yet another tutorial I need to find the tome for LOL.
    Can only concur. The pics are small, so it must have taken long to render them.
    edited December 1969

Thank you Miss B and Dan, well the thing is... it's not really real... here I've used more of an painters trick than a 3D artists. Back in the dim dark distant past when pixels were not just a twinkle but giant pavings stones and rendering was only for super computers, and artists used paint. It wasn't really practical to paint every blade of grass (but clearly these days we could - given the right tools and some time, render every blade of grass). However, Bryce doesn't quite have the right tools, so what I've tried to create here is the impression of grass. Grassishness - if you will. By simulating what the eye sees when it takes in grass as a whole. If you look closely at any part of the grass here, it's a mixture of semi transparent ovals of different colours and scales. The impression though, is easy on the eye I find. Possibly better, depending on the subject, than exact simulation - for "artistic" reasons. And that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
    I noticed at first glance that it is an illusion, but very convincing and well made.
    edited December 1969

Another Fractal influenced image

shattered-veil.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 416K
    edited January 2013

Rareth said:

Has someone already tried Gnofract 4D?
    Under Features it says:
    Popular and widely used. Over 30,000 downloads to date.
    http://gnofract4d.sourceforge.net/features.html
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Under Features it says:

looks like a nice fractal generator, but it doesn't look like it exports to .obj or as 3d models.

edited December 1969

Ahhhhh, I hadn't noticed that, and probably never would have if you hadn't mentioned it. Nicely done sir! ;-)
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    @Mermaid
    Oh no, that tron bike is not my render, is just a web image, a blender render, which i posted it here as reference to remind or to show how it looks the light trail from the Tron Bikes and to get an answer if its possible to get this in Bryce.However you can see bellow a scene with rays using the lit rays material.

My misunderstanding, i thought you did this in blender, don't know much about this program except that it is mentioned a lot on the forum.

I like the your rays render. Thanks for posting the wireframe view as well. It helps beginners like me to see both views.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Under Features it says:

looks like a nice fractal generator, but it doesn't look like it exports to .obj or as 3d models. What caught my eye was:
    over 30k downloads....so, very popular. :)

edited December 1969

@ Rareth - I like the new Fractal render.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: Love what you're doing this time around. But I like those types of images anyway. Nice job.

@cris: That is a lovely image. And love the look of the light rays. Great job.

@David: I had to go back and really look before seeing construction was different than using terrains. I like the results.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2013

Am making a start on the Peter the Polar Bear valentines images but thought I'd start with something slightly more realistic, so I came up with this:

PolarBearReal.jpg
    639 x 567 - 197K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Am making a start on the Peter the Polar Bear valentines images but thought I'd start with something slightly more realistic, so I came up with this:

Bear looks real. How are you handling the fur?

David,
    Amazing sort of grass. It plays with the viewers unconscious mind, the viewer fills in the missing information based on the clue provided, understanding the noise to be grass.

This is brilliant, and a step toward surface replicators which should in theory be able to cover any surface of any size with grass and ground level plants. I know the render time is slow, so only the most basic lighting can be used and animation is out of the question.

Raytracing, while accurate, takes too long to render with blend transparency. Most of the time spent in my Bryce renders is due to shadows and their calculations. In Bryce 8 I hope we are given the option to produce raster soft shadows, should speed rendering considerably especially for things like blend transparency grass blades.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Thanks, @mermaid010!

Yah, David has a heapin helpin of tutorials - on pretty much everything I've tried or even heard of and then some, LOL! I feel fortunate to have found a place with folks like him and others here :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2013

Bear looks real. How are you handling the fur?

Thanks Rashad.

It's kind of trickery. It's just a normal bump map .tiff, the trickery part is rendering it so there's just enough noise included to keep it rough looking... I think David does the same thing with his grass.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,126
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - the polar bear looks indeed very real - and cute, too.

@Rareth - nice fractal.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: I had to go back and really look before seeing construction was different than using terrains. I like the results.

Well, it sort of is and it isn't Jamie. If you think of it this way, the pattern of the grass in the material if it were rendered volumetrically would be like lots of closely packed straws weaving this way and that. But... this would be very slow to render indeed, also it wouldn't look very much like grass. So what the terrain does is present random 2D slices through this volume. Because although the material is only a surface type, it still exists in 3D space, it's just that the surfaces don't occupy all that 3D space. What seems to happen when a material is rendered as a volume is that it whatever solid it is applied to is subdivided into slices (the number dependant on the quality setting in the material lab) - so by using a terrain this is a sort of compromise between a flat surface and a 3D material.

The problem as Rashad correctly identified (thank you Rashad for your kind remarks) is that as Dan has previously observed there is some issue with the way transparency is handled in Bryce which causes long render times particularly on the AA pass (even with a high threshold) - hence as Eireann indicated, small resolution images = long renders. But also, this is one of the few occasions where the material has to be scaled to the output resolution of the image rather than to match the scale of the objects in the scene. Since this grass is more illusion than actual geometry, the perception of the pattern is critical. Indeed, often the grass looks better when it is only partially rendered than when it is finished. So strongly is the illusion dependant on pixel scale. I find this interesting, but obviously it is not an ideal solution.

Dave might try, if he has the inclination for such an experiment, in DS there is a control that allows the creation of a shell taken from your model that can be offset by a bit... unfortunately this tends to turn smaller things inside out - like ears and such. However, if used craftily, it could be used on your bear to create a fur effect layer. Now I had got this process written down in a forum thread somewhere, but... this forums search capabilities are somewhat limited and I can't find the thread any more. So that just makes life a little bit more difficult. As I recall the key words were "shell" and "offset" so if anyone can figure out how to get the search here to boolean two words in the advanced search then the thread might be found.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,126
    edited December 1969

Indeed, often the grass looks better when it is only partially rendered than when it is finished.

Would it be an option to exclude the grassy object from the AA-pass? Faster render, better looking? Just a thought.

@Rareth - Thanks again for the tip about the option to export objects from Structure Synth. The city is a Structure Synth object (example Navla Systems with Seed set to 6), the backdrop is from David and my Deep Space 1 HDRI. Still a WIP.

SpaceCity04.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 349K
This discussion has been closed.