Fancy Metalized Glass Shaders for DS (Commercial)

Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
edited January 2013 in The Commons

Just released;

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/metalized-glass-shaders-for-daz-studio

A couple years ago I desperately wanted some iridescent, antiqued glass surfaces. The DS default shader and Ubershader have a lot of great features but there were a few more, special controls I needed. I sat down and made a new shader specifically designed for coated, highly reflective glass.

The project turned out to be much more challenging than I had anticipated but I kept with it, improving it a little at a time over the years.

Some of the features include colored shadows (with raytraced shadows only), procedural surface imperfections, opalescence and per-surface ray depth sliders. Additionally, separate index of refraction controls for both reflection and refraction can be used to simulate coated or metal plated glass.

The set comes with the base shader code, 60 presets and 65 partial presets for you to create your own, mix and match, glass.

Have a look at the online documentation to see a complete list of controls and features.

Post edited by Age of Armour on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

Ohhhh very shiney

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

This looks great!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Ohhhh very shiney

Shh Scorpio! If iKyoto sees them he will be derailed for an unseen future ;-)
    Btw, they look great!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Nice 'n shiny! (^/\^)... a definite must-buy. It's good to see a complete documentation page - too many of our toys have deep potential but sadly very shallow descriptions of what is "in the box", leaving it to trial and error and forum posts to work out what can be done with them >_<.</p>

Just a few random thoughts -

How does the shader behave on spline hair (eg that produced/controlled by the Look at my Hair plugin)? or is the surface area of the hair strands too small for it to be able to do anything spiffy with?

With an appropriate bump/displacement map (and perhaps reducing the refractive stuff to 0), does it produce an upholstered leather sofa look? (the sort of old shiny "smoking chairs" that Sherlock Holmes was inclined to relax in).

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

That render looks amazing!! Sounds like a great idea and looking forward to seeing more previews......:)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Oh my. I am assuming that this is the usual glass shader paradigm which needs to be inside a skydome to work properly.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Oh my. I am assuming that this is the usual glass shader paradigm which needs to be inside a skydome to work properly.

Since this does not use refelction maps, it will need an environement to reflect. So something simple as being inside a room or just having a skydome will work.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Wow! This is awesome! Love what you've created...

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

I have no use for them whatsoever but it looks like a must have! So pretty...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

For something this gorgeous I'll find a use. That's looking splendid, AOA. :-)

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited January 2013

Looks stunning, definitely a must have. But here is the kicker in my case...are they DS4.5 only or will they also work in DS3?

**updated**

Ack...perused the online docs...looks like DS4+ only

Post edited by cipher_X on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

I'm with SickleYield here - too wonderful not to have, a use will be found! :)

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I'm seriously impressed!

I'll be launching the Second Annual Kit Bashing Contest soon with a new props section. If your product makes it into the store in the next few weeks it might be a good opportunity for people to show off what they can do with it.

BTW still waiting for your water shaders...

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    ... BTW still waiting for your water shaders...

Did you see SickleYield's shaders?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sy-waters-for-daz-studio/94426

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Marieah said:
    ... BTW still waiting for your water shaders...

Did you see SickleYield's shaders?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sy-waters-for-daz-studio/94426

Yes,I have those. William was working on something a little different...

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

For something this gorgeous I'll find a use.

That makes 2 of us . . . er 3 of us. Sorry Simon, I didn't see your post there for a minute.
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

looks interesting :)

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

color me interested

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

M F M said:

How does the shader behave on spline hair (eg that produced/controlled by the Look at my Hair plugin)? or is the surface area of the hair strands too small for it to be able to do anything spiffy with?

With an appropriate bump/displacement map (and perhaps reducing the refractive stuff to 0), does it produce an upholstered leather sofa look? (the sort of old shiny "smoking chairs" that Sherlock Holmes was inclined to relax in).

I haven't tried it on the curves hair just yet but my suspicion is that it would render very slowly.

These would not be appropriate for something like the leather chair. This shader is really designed for glasses, minerals and metals.

Sorry about the slow reply. The flu suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks so I crashed out right after posting.

popup_3.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 112K
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous and definitely useful.

Hope you're feeling better - this year's flu has been pretty awful!

edited January 2013

cipher_X said:
    Looks stunning, definitely a must have. But here is the kicker in my case...are they DS4.5 only or will they also work in DS3?

**updated**

Yes these are DS 4.5.1.56 and higher only. They were originally made in DS3 but then DAZ added some cool stuff in DS 4.5 which made them a little easier to use and allowed for people to make their own presets and share them.

That second aspect was the main reason to convert them. My hope is that people will make their own setting variations and share them. DS 4.5 allows for shader presets to save just the settings and omit the shader code. This means that those owning the base shader will will be able to load presets created by other people.

To save a distributable preset just add your custom dialed shader to a DS content folder using the + button at the bottom of the browser and select "Shader Preset"... but NOT "Depreciated - Shader Preset" please.

Post edited by Age of Armour on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Something that would be useful to me personally would be an option to do cracked or worn glass

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

OMG OMG OMG! *grabby paws* I want these SO BAD

edited December 1969

cipher_X said:

**updated**

Yes these are DS 4.5.1.6 and higher only. They were originally made in DS3 but then DAZ added some cool stuff in DS 4.5 which made them a little easier to use and allowed for people to make their own presets and share them.

That second aspect was the main reason to convert them. My hope is that people will make their own setting variations and share them. DS 4.5 allows for shader presets to save just the settings and omit the shader code. This means that those owning the base shader will will be able to load presets created by other people.

To save a distributable preset just add your custom dialed shader to a DS content folder using the + button at the bottom of the browser and select "Shader Preset"... but NOT "Depreciated - Shader Preset" please.

Er... so we have to use beta software in order to be able to use these things? Or is 4.5.1.6 an official release?

edited December 1969

JOdel said:

Er... so we have to use beta software in order to be able to use these things? Or is 4.5.1.6 an official release?

Opps! I misspoke, these work in DS 4.5.1.56 which I believe is the current public release.

I'll go correct my previous post and the online docs.

edited December 1969

That is a relief.

Still have to go and install an update, but nevertheless, a relief.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I was at a friend's house on Monday, and was watching Antiques Roadshow for a few minutes while they were discussing two vases made of iridescent glass, though only one was semi-transparent. Even so, I liked the vases, and now you're coming out with these shaders. If that isn't timely, I don't know what is. ;-)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:

Opps! I misspoke, these work in DS 4.5.1.56 which I believe is the current public release.

I'll go correct my previous post and the online docs.

They work in DS 4.5.1.6 on my machine.

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I want. Very, very nice.

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,230
    edited December 1969

Looking very cool!!!