Fancy Metalized Glass Shaders for DS (Commercial)

Comments

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

I am afraid that setting the two parameters as you suggested doesn't seem to have made any difference.

(I am using the default DAZ rendering settings)

g28b3-1.jpg
    901 x 965 - 82K
    edited December 1969

Here is a test render using the light setup I usually use.

It does look like there is a light plane being reflected on the surface.

I will do another render of the armour with a different light setup.

g28b3-1c.jpg
    901 x 965 - 60K
  • Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

There's probably no need to completely change the lighting. It just looks like there may be some bright piece of geometry in your frame which the surface is reflecting. Can you maybe use the perspective view camera to see if there is a glowing plane or something behind your rendering camera?

edited December 1969

I think what is probably happening is that there is a large white object in front of and/or below your backdrop which is showing up in the reflections.

Included are a few renders with and without a white plane in front of the backdrop and a render from above showing where the plane or object would be located to cause the effect.

Have a look at the items in you scene and see if there is some light colored object in this general area.

The reason this might not show when using the RDNA shaders could be because they may not use ray traced reflections, their reflection strength is very low or maybe their index of refraction is low which causes reflections to be weaker on polygons facing the camera.

ArmourTestC.jpg
    500 x 650 - 28K
    ArmourTestB.jpg
    922 x 1081 - 160K
    ArmourTestA.jpg
    922 x 1081 - 168K
    edited January 2013

To cut a long story short, I discovered that the white source of the rectangles on the torus in my test scene, and assumed also to be the source in my original render, were caused by a long white 'tongue' that sticks out in front of my backdrop caused by the bitmap not covering the whole base.

Because when I either removed the backdrop or covered the 'tongue' with a black plane the reflections disappeared.

So at least I now know 'a' solution and am back on track.

I have also decided that I urgently need to go through this new DAZ/Dreamlight tutorial set to get a better overall grasp of Studio.

Much thanks for your help.

Post edited by gabu on
    edited December 1969

OK, here is a proof of concept for an angel.

g28b3-2b.jpg
    901 x 965 - 98K
    edited January 2013

Cool! I'm glad you got it working.

Funny thing is I had something similar happen in real life. I kept seeing this faint red glow coming from a shelf near my desk. First time it caught my eye I was just slightly curious. Each time I noticed it I got more curious until I eventually had to shut all the lights off in the room then move my and hand around the shelf trying to find where the glow was coming from.

Turns out it was a crystal candle holder reflecting and refracting a red LED on my phone charger which was some distance away, behind my monitor where I cant see the LED directly.

Point is, reflection and refraction can bend light in crazy ways and it is often difficult to figure out exactly what we are seeing. The bright spots in your renders did look like displacement/normal artifacts to me at first too. It wasn't until DZFire suggested it might be a reflection of a bright scene object that I started looking at it differently.

Post edited by Age of Armour on
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

Glad everything worked out.

edited December 1969

my first (almost) finished work using the shaders:

g28b3-3g.jpg
    901 x 965 - 97K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited May 2013

...apologies for breathing life back into this thread.

I just installed these only to discover that the user manual is online. My workstation is a standalone without permanent net access, and I never work on a project while online due to the extra processor/memory load of the browser & such.

Is there a downloadable version of the manual available that can be accessed offline?

Or is there a site where it can be accessed outside of the Daz Studio application (so I can have it up on my notebook to refer to while working)?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

No worries Kyoto,

I never understood why people sometimes have issues with thread necromancy hehe. Seems like it is good to keep all the relevant info in one spot.

I can relate to keeping the 3d machine offline. Mine is offline also. I tried converting the doc to PDF just incase people wanted to view it offline but it looked really bad and frankly I detest PDFs.

Now do you have a browser on your offline machine? If so you can just go to the online doc ( http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/tutorials/AoA_metalized_glass_shader_help.html ) with your web computer and right click - save as. It should download with images and all. You can then move it over to your 3d computer and view it offline.

Will that suit your needs?

edited December 1969

...yes that worked. Thank you very much.

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

Age of Armour, if you need a high quality pdf of the manual for use with your product let me know a email address and I send you the one I made for my personal use.

edited December 1969

...again thanks for the tip. Playing with them now.

edited December 1969

...OK, here is something I had been wanting to do for some time with the Apteromata Flight wings. When I saw some of the early pics in the WIP thread for this item, the panels were transparent and I thought how cool if there was a glass shader for them. Well, now I have one.

Started as just an experiment with the shaders...

...ended up being quite a kitbash in the end.

The dress is not Apteromata Finery as the skirt distorted too much with Autofit so I used Manga Hart which worked quite well with the wings and harness.

Fabricator for the top using a freebie texture, Silkessence for the skirt with opacity slightly reduced.

The headdress is from The Ice Princess also retextured with The Metalised Glass Shaders

The boots are from Roxana Yaroslavna, Vampire Lady For Genesis again retextured with the Fabricator and posed to hide the spike heels.

The streetlights are from Le VIllage.

The Zepplin Star uses DZ Fire's Real Metals (green copper) for the frame with reflectivity reduced as well as changes to the Diffuse colours for other parts to give it a more "Steam Punk appearance.

Flames, smoke and steam effects from Jepe's FLamez and StemaZ.

Several of AntFarm's Never series sets.

...and all topped off with AoA's Atmospheric Effects Cameras (smog preset), using a Cloud9 Sky/Light dome.

...oh and the character is SMay's Stalker Girl with The Teen Ashley Skin Map and base SSS Shaders.

Render time 18 min @ 1200 x 900.

Title: Angel of Steam and Science.

angel_of_steam_and_science_B.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 859K
  • Zig ZagZig Zag Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Hi Age of Armour,

I have a few suggestions for these amazing shaders. I use them to create realistic looking water. See for example on this page:

http://www.enjoy-swimming.com/breaststroke-kick.html

However, once I have applied the shader to the water surface, in the OpenGL preview I can't see the swimmer's limbs when the camera is positioned above the water surface. That's where an Opacity slider would come in handy, so that I could make the water somewhat transparent in the OpenGL to pose my figure. And once the figure is posed, I would slide the Opacity back to 100%.

Oh and a preset for water would also come in handy, where only the refraction is preconfigured and all other settings turned down.

edited December 1969

Zig Zag said:
    Hi Age of Armour,

I have a few suggestions for these amazing shaders. I use them to create realistic looking water. See for example on this page:

http://www.enjoy-swimming.com/breaststroke-kick.html

However, once I have applied the shader to the water surface, in the OpenGL preview I can't see the swimmer's limbs when the camera is positioned above the water surface. That's where an Opacity slider would come in handy, so that I could make the water somewhat transparent in the OpenGL to pose my figure. And once the figure is posed, I would slide the Opacity back to 100%.

Oh and a preset for water would also come in handy, where only the refraction is preconfigured and all other settings turned down.

Hi Zig Zag,

I may do an update for the glass shaders when I get a few other pressing things crossed off the list. I'll see what I can do about improving the look in the viewport.

About water... I have had an animated water shader in the works for several years now. It is something I was about to release a few years back but then there was a short lived raytracing bug in either DS or 3delight that caused it to render too slowly. That bug was fixed but, by the time I got back to working on the shader, I thought it needed a better wave formula so I remade the shader from scratch.

When I was about done with that version, something popped up in the store with a lake or water or something. I can't remember what it was but I didn't want to step on any one's toes so I put it on hold again. Then, earlier this year I decided to remake it again from scratch. Only a few days into version 3, Ocean Wide came out ( http://www.daz3d.com/ocean-wide ). At that point I started thinking "Humm, maybe this is s sign I should not work on the water shader any more" haha.

Here is a WIP video if version 1 that sent to DAZ a few years back. www.youtube.com/watch?v=saZXkSXuUeM

• Zig ZagZig Zag Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Oh man now I want that water shader badly. :-)

Procedural caustics? There's no one else offering something that comes close to it in the store... I would put it to good use for my swimming-related renders, that's for sure... And when I see how people struggle to get realistic-looking water, I think that I wouldn't be the only one interested in it.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Please do go ahead with this water shader! It's stunning, and something I'm totally looking for. I was already hoping you were going to do such a shader, and certainly my hopes were reinforced when you released rocks and grass, I also had hopes you'd target metals especially aniisotropic reflections/specular but I can see that's 'a tread on toes' subject for now. The water shader however has huge potential and your not locked to water models. Love the demo btw! It seems to have all the needed ingredients, particularly like the depth and caustics, the animate feature is WOW

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

:bug:

Please, please, PLEASE do that shader.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just have to add AoA to my people so skilled I hate them list. Not that he had not made it before I just not updated it in awhile, now moved to the top of the list so it will not slide off anytime soon.
    Build this Shader, take my money, get it over with before I put all my projects on hold waiting on the one shader that I would really love to have had in my content last year sometime.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Just make all the things. All of them. And then make your amazing promos that I just love to death.

It was funny to see this thread pop up with me saying "I have no use for this product but it looks awesome". It's funny because I use it ALL THE TIME. I use the Antique Mirror for jewellery, studs on armour...anything that I want to be metal. Also, I use the environment sphere for a lot of my renders, even just basic portraits....I use it too much. It just makes everything look nice. o_o

Just watched the water video - your shaders look amazing!

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Build this Shader, take my money, get it over with before I put all my projects on hold waiting on the one shader

LOL I think I already have done that :lol:

edited December 1969

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'll see what I can do about wrapping up the water shader.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'll see what I can do about wrapping up the water shader.

Please do! That WIP video nearly knocked me out of my chair. I especially liked the use of it on the human figure; I can really use that.

edited December 1969

...totally floored by that video. Even for stills, it would be a major leap in quality over what we have now as it is a shader, that can be applied to anything.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

The water shader looks awsome. It would only enhance the other water and ocean products for DS already in the store.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Here is a WIP video if version 1 that sent to DAZ a few years back. www.youtube.com/watch?v=saZXkSXuUeM

Just take my money.. :-)

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

On the original subject of the metalized glass shaders, I'd just like to say how impressed I am with them, and I'm, among other things, a glassworker and glass collector.

edited December 1969

...indeed, made for an interesting wing panel texture.

angel_of_steam_and_science_B.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 859K