Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

If any one needs another weapon I just posted this over at DA. It is in .obj format

http://jaguarry3.deviantart.com/art/Imperial-Phase-Rifle-346719134

It is an extrapolation of the Enterprise era phase pistol enjoy

Promo.jpg
    1375 x 975 - 277K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

You should give that thing a very mean looking bayonette :)

• blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

since we are coming up on the one hunderdth page, may i request the next incarnation of this thread be called

amok runtime

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Or Runtime Amok. We certain do run amok with our runtimes here. [grin] But if no one likes my suggestion, I'll cheerfully second yours.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Or Runtime Amok. We certain do run amok with our runtimes here. [grin] But if no one likes my suggestion, I'll cheerfully second yours.
    You beat me to it!
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I'm all for the title.

Next question.. Do you guys want me to head up the next thread and continue to running the freebie list?

-Paul

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

As others have already stated about Gorn vessels, nothing with distinct detail ever appeared onscreen in the original cuts of any series, from TOS through Enterprise. But let me append my statement with some quasi exceptions.

A design WAS proposed during the production of "Next Generation" or "Deep Space Nine" but was never used. It can be seen in the link below. (Note: You may have to copy and paste the URLs into the address window to properly view them.)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/uesbounty/TNGgorn.jpg

When "Arena" originally aired, the Gorn vessel was never actually seen. As relayed by the dialogue, it was so far ahead of the Enterprise that it could not be imaged upon the viewscreen. However, when the series was "remastered" and placed into syndication once again in the mid 2000s, a digital model was constructed. It was never textured as it was only depicted on the viewscreen as a nearly indistinct "blur". However, these images later surfaced at least showing the geometry.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/gorn-4views.jpg

Finally, during the "dry years" of the mid 70s, a gaming system called "StarFleet Battles" gave its own interpretation of a Gorn vessel.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/uesbounty/g-ca-c.jpg

So, I guess it boils down to selecting one of these or concocting a design of your own. Since nothing was ever "clearly" shown on the tele', it's up to interpretation.

Personally, I think the CGI model for the "remastered" Arena is a bit too detailed for something that might have been built as a "one off" had it been constructed in 1967. Simplify some of the surfaces and it might blend better with the expediency of the Romulan design or the DY-100 sleeper ship. (The Klingon cruiser was as fancy as it was because the production intended to use it multiple times.)

Sincerely,

Bill

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    I'm all for the title.

Next question.. Do you guys want me to head up the next thread and continue to running the freebie list?

-Paul

Paul, if you're willing to sacrifice your time and energy to do the job, I'd be delighted to see you continue. Otherwise, perhaps some similarly generous individual will step forward.

edited December 1969

Will it be called FreebiesAmok?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    As others have already stated about Gorn vessels, nothing with distinct detail ever appeared onscreen in the original cuts of any series, from TOS through Enterprise. But let me append my statement with some quasi exceptions.

A design WAS proposed during the production of "Next Generation" or "Deep Space Nine" but was never used. It can be seen in the link below. (Note: You may have to copy and paste the URLs into the address window to properly view them.)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/uesbounty/TNGgorn.jpg

When "Arena" originally aired, the Gorn vessel was never actually seen. As relayed by the dialogue, it was so far ahead of the Enterprise that it could not be imaged upon the viewscreen. However, when the series was "remastered" and placed into syndication once again in the mid 2000s, a digital model was constructed. It was never textured as it was only depicted on the viewscreen as a nearly indistinct "blur". However, these images later surfaced at least showing the geometry.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/gorn-4views.jpg

Finally, during the "dry years" of the mid 70s, a gaming system called "StarFleet Battles" gave its own interpretation of a Gorn vessel.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/uesbounty/g-ca-c.jpg

So, I guess it boils down to selecting one of these or concocting a design of your own. Since nothing was ever "clearly" shown on the tele', it's up to interpretation.

Personally, I think the CGI model for the "remastered" Arena is a bit too detailed for something that might have been built as a "one off" had it been constructed in 1967. Simplify some of the surfaces and it might blend better with the expediency of the Romulan design or the DY-100 sleeper ship. (The Klingon cruiser was as fancy as it was because the production intended to use it multiple times.)

Sincerely,

Bill

speaking of games, Star Trek Online has Gorn vessels, which I believe are loosely based on the Star Fleet battles games (computer versions of them) .

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Has anyone seen or heard from Mylochka lately? I hope she's not sick again...

edited December 1969

If no one else minds, I'll try my hand at running the groups freebies and group for one more round.

-Paul

geordi-polarity1.jpg
    899 x 1200 - 707K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok its not really a reptile, but its as close as I could get with genesis to a gorn with what I have so far.

Gorn-Test.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 305K
  • edited December 1969
    IsolinearChips01.jpg
    200 x 184 - 49K
    edited December 1969

chips posted in freebie section.

thanks for the toys! Definite use for the next Mirror Novel.

By the way all...the next book is done rendering...just adding the word balloons and credit's list page (thanks Catherine for pointing out I missed that the last book. )

-Paul

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

I vote for Paul as well! Maybe the guy I vote for this election will win! Unless that wildcard Shadowhawk1 runs then I would have to cast my vote with him.

Love your image for the next thread title I love the Runtime Amok idea and the image is awesome.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the Chips :)

oh and as for the Gorn , bridge commander has gorn ships in the game
    and they can be downloaded and converted if anyone wanted

edited December 1969

here is a quick render of the Gorn Tyrannus class

showing from sorta front and sorta back

gorn-tyrannus.jpg
    1400 x 806 - 237K
    edited December 1969

Hey, now...I rather like that design! If you mentally take away the bold colors, the overall shapes look like something Matt Jefferies might have designed for the original series.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited January 2013

Rareth said:
    ok its not really a reptile, but its as close as I could get with genesis to a gorn with what I have so far.

Looks good! I did always hate that the gorn just wears leather... when I finally break down and get that reptilian I'll probably do something with the Supersuit for him to give him a good look...

If no one else minds, I'll try my hand at running the groups freebies and group for one more round. -Paul

That's flipping amazing! All we need is for JLP to say something profound and ominous from behind his desk in the readyroom...

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

Gorn cruiser from bridge commander

gorn-cruiser.jpg
    1450 x 835 - 199K
    edited January 2013

one last gorn ship

the cobra class

gorn-cobra-class.jpg
    1450 x 835 - 192K
    Post edited by MotoTsume on
    edited December 1969

The cobra class looks like the destroyer from Star Fleet Command.

Here's a page that shows the design from Star Fleet Battles (from which Starfleet Command was derrived)
    http://www.starfleetgames.com/Starline 2500 Gorn.shtml

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Another visor, this one is by BlackMouse: http://www.sharecg.com/v/66690/gallery/11/Poser/ST-Visor

edited December 1969

Another visor, this one is by BlackMouse: http://www.sharecg.com/v/66690/gallery/11/Poser/ST-Visor

Updated to freebie list. Thank you.

And for everyone. The cover to the next Mirror Universe story.

Slide1.jpg
    1287 x 1800 - 892K
  • blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969
    thumb_68805.jpg
    200 x 200 - 7K
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

I was always rather fond of the Raptoid Figure myself. Quite easily adapted to look like a Gorn except for the tail

Gorn_Buddy.jpg
    1000 x 786 - 304K
    edited December 1969

Yet another revision upon my TimG inspired recovery ward depicted earlier in these two posts...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/204270/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/205056/

This time I'm using my edited version of the Google grabbed vital signs readout displaying the "He's dead, Jim" stats. I also added divider screens from Ptrope's Pike quarters which added a hopefully interesting shadow effect.

Then, I updated the recovery beds with XCalPro's later versions. My earlier renders used his older attempt. This version has the pivoting bed monitor. Please note: one should shrink XCalPro's latest version of the recovery bed down to roughly 85 percent. This makes the width and height of the bed similar to his earlier model. It also corrects the length. His first attempt was so long that it was best suited for Ruk the android. ;-)

Finally, I made the material setting for the existing mattress and pillow "invisible" and positioned 2 copies of EnglishBob's free "morphing mattress" in their places. It's not demonstrated in this render since there is a shroud draping a dead body (implied by the shape), but 'Bob's mattress has 45 spots (5 across by 9 along its length) that can be "depressed" one by one wherever you position a figure. A rather clever alternative to using Dynamic cloth or "magnets"

Sincerely,

Bill

Trek-Morgue-J-3.jpg
    1387 x 822 - 236K
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Man, they just get better every time! :D

edited December 1969

Much of the thanks should be directed towards you since you have shared many well crafted set elements that can be readily "mixed and matched".

Sincerely,

Bill

This discussion has been closed.