Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited January 2013

Nothing earth-shattering - just putting the finishing touches on an Empire carpet texture; this is a high-res (700x1400 - yeah, I'm a little nuts!) JPG; I would suggest experimenting with the U_scale and V_scale settings in the Advanced tab to get it properly-proportioned (for the "Floor" texture in the TOS quarters, for instance, those settings are .010 and -.018). The scales used will depend on the surface to which you apply the texture - always fun to play around with ;).

MirrorUniverse_Carpet2s.jpg
    700 x 1400 - 202K
    Dorm011_sample.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 223K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

The Galileo and Crew are now available over at Trekmeshes.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Not sure how I missed this one for so long, a tutorial on how to model the Enterprise in Lightwave. Not that I have Lightwave, but many ideas could cross platforms to other programs.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2012/05/02/free-lightwave-3d-tutorial-a-beginners-guide-to-modelling/

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Thank you ;-)

• celticarchiecelticarchie Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

You beauty!!! :lol:

Si ;-)

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

ope everyone had a good new year. anyway just another look at my bsg unidorms ( duty uniform-maint-pilot) attempting to make therm for v4 but having no luck

uniformn_bsg.jpg
    800 x 800 - 111K
  • wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Cool , Thank you !!!
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

WOW PTROPE Love that carpeting! Talk about really going to the dark side! Between the emblem on the doors and the carpet you really gave this the Mirror Universe treatment, I can't wait to get my hands on it and let my girls go crazy in there! I am not forgetting you either Matty! Thanks for the shuttle it is great, I love the crew members to fill out the inside and give it that extra bit of realism. I can't wait to see the NX01 that you are working on. You commented about a small and larger one with the larger one not being to scale, any way of resizing the larger one since you kind of mentioned that it had better detail, I think.

edited December 1969

When I worked on the Galileo, I found info online stating it was 8.5 meters. So I scaled it down using the same method I do for the starships where 1cm - 1M. When i did that, I found the Shuttle was way to big for the shuttle bay. At least that is how it looked to me. What you will have to do is reduce the shuttle down to what looks right to you.

Sorry for the delay on the NX-01. It should have bee finished now but I have been concentrating on PA work a lot lately.

edited December 1969

Not sure how I missed this one for so long, a tutorial on how to model the Enterprise in Lightwave. Not that I have Lightwave, but many ideas could cross platforms to other programs.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2012/05/02/free-lightwave-3d-tutorial-a-beginners-guide-to-modelling/

Great! Thanks - looking forward to going through these, seeing what I can learn :).

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

hope everyone doesnt mind a little bsg just like palying around with it

maint.jpg
    800 x 746 - 146K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I sure don't! That's great! Would love to get my hands on that scene and light the thing! It could use a bit more atmosphere, but it's a great scene!

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2013

crownlion said:
    hope everyone doesnt mind a little bsg just like palying around with it

You're picture's good- considering what you had to use. For me personally, it would've been better with the real Battlestar's Viper.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    I would suggest experimenting with the U_scale and V_scale settings in the Advanced tab to get it properly-proportioned (for the "Floor" texture in the TOS quarters, for instance, those settings are .010 and -.018).

Can anyone suggest what these values might become in DAZ|Studio? After a look at the MAT files and a quick fiddle with my calculator I tried the existing floor tile with values of x=50 and y=50, and that looked pretty much OK. But doing the same thing with the tile on the "gold foil" window cover, pillow and blanket just plain didn't work, I had to plug in different tiling values until I got something at least consistent, if not actually "right". Ideas, anyone?
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Nothing earth-shattering - just putting the finishing touches on an Empire carpet texture; this is a high-res (700x1400 - yeah, I'm a little nuts!) JPG; I would suggest experimenting with the U_scale and V_scale settings in the Advanced tab to get it properly-proportioned (for the "Floor" texture in the TOS quarters, for instance, those settings are .010 and -.018). The scales used will depend on the surface to which you apply the texture - always fun to play around with ;).

Thanks Ptrobe, This is just perfect for the flooring on the bridge of the ISS Immortal :-) :-)

At_the_helm.jpg
    1600 x 929 - 301K
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

a little BSG Viper Mk1 - original series

viper-mk1-2-sml.jpg
    1450 x 832 - 244K
    edited January 2013

Ptrope said:
    I would suggest experimenting with the U_scale and V_scale settings in the Advanced tab to get it properly-proportioned (for the "Floor" texture in the TOS quarters, for instance, those settings are .010 and -.018).

Can anyone suggest what these values might become in DAZ|Studio? After a look at the MAT files and a quick fiddle with my calculator I tried the existing floor tile with values of x=50 and y=50, and that looked pretty much OK. But doing the same thing with the tile on the "gold foil" window cover, pillow and blanket just plain didn't work, I had to plug in different tiling values until I got something at least consistent, if not actually "right". Ideas, anyone?

Well, I don't know how D|S's tiling works, compared to Poser's, but I would think it would have an equivalent amount of sense involved (OTOH, a lot of things about D|S make no sense to me ;) ). Most of my UV-mapped materials involve the entire map, rather than putting a number of different textures onto a single JPG. So the starting point would be a scale of 1.0, or 'full size." With the things like the blanket, pillow and window cover, however, it didn't make sense to make a huge map with all those little tiny squares, so I made a section of it, and then the scaling allows it to tile. If "1" is 100% of the mapped area, then ".1" is 1/10 of that area, meaning it needs to tile 10 times to cover across. The carpet tile I posted is 2x as tall as it is wide - if the area it covers is square and set to "1", then it would have to stretch out twice as wide as it should be in order to fill, so you would set the U_scale - for the width - to .5 if you wanted to tile it twice across and leave the height; if you wanted to tile it 4 times across and 2 tall, and still keep its original 1:2 w:h ratio, then you'd set the U_scale to .25 (1/4) and the V_scale to .50 (1/2). The MU carpet texture, at U=.010 (1/100) and V=.018 (1/55.56), means it is 100 tiles across and about 55 1/2 vertically - the denominator is the number of times the image is tiled (the area being covered, obviously, is not quite square).

It sounds like, from what you posted, that D|S uses the denominator outright - if X=50, then it tiles 50 times horizontally, and y=50 = 50 times vertically; in Poser, those would be U_scale=.02 (1/50) and V_scale=.02 (also 1/50). It's essentially the same thing - Poser wants to know how large to make the image before tiling, with a default of 1:1, and it sounds like D|S wants to know how many copies to make in either direction, also with a default of 1:1.

So to match up the blanket, pillow, window cover, whatever, just take the Poser scale, make a fraction of it (1 divided by .XXX), and then apply the result as the number of times to tile in D|S :).

Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

I've uploaded the new center wall/doors/insert, along with the door and carpet materials (MT5) to ShareCG :).

Starship Cabin - Bonus & MU

Enjoy!

Dorm012_sample.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 164K
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Looking good PTROPE!!! Grabbed it and loaded it right away. Going to have to post a Thread friendly render to show off the detail. Thanks for creating this freebie and sharing it with all of us

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,250
    edited December 1969

turbosquid has some nice, free modern furniture .objs that can be used to dress Ptrope's great sets

seating_1.png
    772 x 617 - 332K
    eames1.png
    772 x 617 - 402K
    bellini1.png
    772 x 617 - 337K
  • edited December 1969

I don't know if I just missed this, or what, but while downloading the Galileo over at Trekmeshes (STMC), I noticed there is a Poserized version of the Genesis device. :-)

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    turbosquid has some nice, free modern furniture .objs that can be used to dress Ptrope's great sets

Those definitely have potential! :)

One thing that just kind of hit me - the seats in Galileo are pretty similar to the armed briefing room chairs (also Saarinen, as well. I haven't popped open Mattymanx's new conversion yet to see how they look, but that's also a possibility.

edited December 1969

Starwulf said:
    I don't know if I just missed this, or what, but while downloading the Galileo over at Trekmeshes (STMC), I noticed there is a Poserized version of the Genesis device. :-)

I believe Catherine did that last year.

edited December 1969

a few more

VitraChair.jpg
    772 x 617 - 165K
    Shelf.jpg
    772 x 617 - 226K
    edited December 1969

Ohhh, I need that bookshelf in real life ;). Need to get rid of as many horizontal surfaces as possible ... :D

edited December 1969

we should do a contest: Pimp Ptrope's Quarters - set dress with a character backstory in mind

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

I like that idea!

Now, if I could just come up with an idea on how to do it . ..

edited December 1969

Sounds like a great idea :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    So to match up the blanket, pillow, window cover, whatever, just take the Poser scale, make a fraction of it (1 divided by .XXX), and then apply the result as the number of times to tile in D|S :).

That's what I thought too, at first, but when I did the sums for the two Window Cover materials, the tiling didn't match up with each other, or the blanket or the pillow, and it wasn't square. I had to play around with the settings for a while.

BTW, what sort of material is that for a blanket on a bed? I've been wondering since the first time I saw an episode that gave us a good look — It doesn't look comfortable, and it doesn't look particularly warming.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

It's a powered blanket: heating and cooling. Settings via Bluetooth. [grin]

This discussion has been closed.