Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I used one of the filters in photoshop, I had no idea this was there lol.  Pretty happy with it, I don't do a lot that uses thsi look but I may be doing more after this one. There was a fair amount of painting and the flames were added in post.

This looks amazing, Ice :D

• I used one of the filters in photoshop, I had no idea this was there lol.  Pretty happy with it, I don't do a lot that uses thsi look but I may be doing more after this one. There was a fair amount of painting and the flames were added in post.

Sonja, excellent effects filter choice.  You color choices work really well too.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

RawArt's awesome EleBeast for Genesis 3 Male.

Color me impressed! What filter program did you use?

I used FotoSketcher. I combined 3 different effects from that program with layers in Photoshop. :)

I used FotoSketcher. I combined 3 different effects from that program with layers in Photoshop. :)

Thanks. I'll check it out. Lately, I've been playing with PhotoDonut and also FilterForge, a lot.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

Awesome, Diva! Is this the full resolution version?

- Greg

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Ack! Something else to try out. And here I thought I was going to get some work done today... laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you very much!

Diva that's very cool! And I agree with Tobor, something else to check out lol. 

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Hmmm.... I tried the "portable" version, and it just hung up after starting it. Was something supposed to happen???

It might have been Avast. Sometimes it intercedes and stops everything for five minutes before deciding the file is okay.

Awesome, Diva! Is this the full resolution version?

- Greg

Thank you! :D 

Yeah, that's the full size. The original render was just a test render of EleBeast so I didn't render it very large. 

Thanks. I'll check it out. Lately, I've been playing with PhotoDonut and also FilterForge, a lot.

It's free, so you might give it a go. :) I find it fun. It doesn't do a whole lot, but the few filters it has are pretty cool and customizable. 

Thank you very much!

Diva that's very cool! And I agree with Tobor, something else to check out lol. 

It doesn't do a lot, just a hand full of filters, but I find it fun. Layering the different filter types in Photoshop can give some cool effects, imo. :)

Tobor said:

Hmmm.... I tried the "portable" version, and it just hung up after starting it. Was something supposed to happen???

It might have been Avast. Sometimes it intercedes and stops everything for five minutes before deciding the file is okay.

I only have the full version, so I don't know. I've never had issues with it. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

oooh - neat! cool impressionistic edge going on with your technique, and the subject matter ties the graceful pose to a very rough character - great choices!

--ms

mindsong said:

oooh - neat! cool impressionistic edge going on with your technique, and the subject matter ties the graceful pose to a very rough character - great choices!

--ms

Oh thank you! :D He's a lot of fun. I wanted to put him in a graceful pose as a juxtaposition to his size. Many people have an idea of a larger character being lumbering and bumbling - but grace can come in many shapes and sizes. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Holy poot, Fotosketcher is _amazing_.

I haven't seen better results from any other application, and most of those other applications cost money. Whoa.

This early test took almost no effort. Just, load, wait, there it is.

Transformation_FotoSketcher.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • wow isn't it

I grabbed it yesterday and was playing with my photos!!

I had done http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Hiver2-Promenade-IToon-658684219 with my art shaders.

Ran it through Fotosketcher to get the linked image.

Nice, because while my art shaders can get flat colors and outlines, it in no way handles brush/pencil sketchiness.

Hiver Promenade Sketch2.png
    1080 x 1080 - 987K
  • Love seeing Hivers (or any Traveller race) in art. smiley I don't recognize the cloven-hoofed minor race, though. A new Hiver client species?

The Fotosketcher treatment does an amazing job of making it look just like it could've leaped out of one of the Little Black Books.

Yeah, really sends me back to the 1980s. Heh.

and it was just something I came up with.

The hiver should be smaller, I think, but I liked the look.

And more stuff.

The metalloid skin has a certain painted quality to it that struck me earlier, and this just really brings it out.

Metalloid Tentaclehead Watercolor.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Beauty at the diner oil sketch.png
    2160 x 2160 - 6M

Some Vampire inspired ones.

Vlad Paint.png
    1335 x 2160 - 2M
    The Hunt.png
    2160 x 2160 - 7M
  • I have been working on a photoshop action that creates a nice diffusion that remindes me  of anime I am getting closer to what I think is a good animated look.

equestrian.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 636K

Refining this style for a project I'm working on.

Hiro Stance Illo.png
    1335 x 2160 - 6M
  • And more stuff.

The metalloid skin has a certain painted quality to it that struck me earlier, and this just really brings it out.

The painted effect on the skin is quite striking. I don't have time right now to go back through the thread and read what effects/filters you're using, but this is GOOD.

Not sure what effect you were going for on the diner: she just looks a little soft focused.

edited March 2017

Yeah, the diner thing didn't work as well-- the brush strokes are too small/perfect so it just ends up looking like, well, soft focus.

The metalloid image uses FotoSketcher with ... one of the water colors, I forget, now.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • dvyddvyd Posts: 33

Hi folks,

I'm new to DAZ and to NPR. I was planning to export DAZ characters to Blender for rendering but apparently the "HD morphs" I'm using are difficult to export. So, I'm starting to look into 3Delight more seriously. The work on this thread is simply amazing! Could anyone recommend some sources of information to better understand how to achieve some of these effects? Is there a public shader library available to experiment with and dissect? I purchased the PWtoon shader which has many options and seems promising but I'm not sure what is going on under the hood. The 3Delight manuals on the DNA site are specific to Maya and other applications (not DAZ)--but I assume they are still relevant? Generally, I'm finding DAZ documentation a little sparse.

-d. vyd

I'm having a LOT of fun with the new Sketchy program in the store! I love it! 

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    dvyd said:

Hi folks,

I'm new to DAZ and to NPR. I was planning to export DAZ characters to Blender for rendering but apparently the "HD morphs" I'm using are difficult to export. So, I'm starting to look into 3Delight more seriously. The work on this thread is simply amazing! Could anyone recommend some sources of information to better understand how to achieve some of these effects? Is there a public shader library available to experiment with and dissect? I purchased the PWtoon shader which has many options and seems promising but I'm not sure what is going on under the hood. The 3Delight manuals on the DNA site are specific to Maya and other applications (not DAZ)--but I assume they are still relevant? Generally, I'm finding DAZ documentation a little sparse.

Hi!

There is no DS-ready public shader library, but there is a number of generic RSL toon shaders that are fairly neat. You can find some in the Mosaic distro: https://github.com/aqsis/RIBMosaic - the plugin itself doesn't seem to work anymore sadly, but the .sl files are okay =)

Then there is this shader: http://swinproductions.com/Toon.html

They work okay in 3Delight. To get these into DS you will need to use the Shader Builder plugin. In my signature there is a link to the 3Delight Laboratory thread where we will gladly help you (and I also have a number of tutorials online, but it's best not to derail this thread with technical stuff - so please welcome to the lab =))

Then there is this product which will help you get shader-independent outlines - it uses the 3Delight built-in "inker" that you may have seen referenced in the docs on the DNA site:

www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/116791/linerender9000-commercial/p1

It also comes with a number of toon cameras that give interesting effects.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186

Quick question for those using Linerender9000, I've just been playing with it for a short while and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Combined with the Visual Style shaders I'm starting to get some comic book style look that I'm quite happy with. I have a comic project in mind and this is starting to get to pretty close to the output I want straight out of DAZ. I'm no stranger to Photoshop and don't mind doing postwork on my renders there, but as I'm trying to start on a comic project I'm conscious of the impact on workflow and the closer I can get straight from DAZ for this project the better.

What I'm wondering is if there's any way in Linerender9000 to make the shadows more of a crosshatch or pencil style, or otherwise just not quite so solid? I'm having decent luck overall with the shadows by using the Visual Style shaders and just rendering the shadows with the shadow opacity camera but I'd like to get a bit more of a drawn/line style to the output from that and I've not yet figured out how to do that.

I'd be curious about that, myself. Even some variation in the line so it's not mechanically precise.

One idea I've considered is using some sort of 'sketch' filter on a line pass to break it up a little, but... yeah.

This discussion has been closed.