Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Those cats totally belong in a children's book. Those look like really wonderful illustrations. If I found those in a children's book my jaw would drop and I'd think that they where done by an illustrator and took MANY MANY hours to draw and paint. 

Most excellent work! 

Thanks, Diva - it means a lot. I feel satisfied with everything the algos are producing on a wide variety of scenes, but continue to struggle with how to get volumetrics into the mix. The shader and script to produce a volumetric pass have been written for a while now, but how to get the algos to draw lines based on that volumetric pass continues to be a mystery to me. I keep waiting for that eureka moment, but it never comes lol!

- Greg

The algos are producting amazing reslults! I'm very much looking forward to working with them if I can! :D

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

I had a blast playing with the nik filters on this.  This is one of my favorites.  I do want to start learning how to do the LineRender 9000, I have it but haven't tried it. I would kind of like to take an image and make a good line drawing out of it and then go into photoshop and paint the whole thing.  I really enjoy painting line drawings, so if I can make my own line drawings and paint them, I would be very pleased.

More dragons! Please ;)

- Greg

A render with Will's new art shaders (with post work in PS). 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I had a blast playing with the nik filters on this.  This is one of my favorites.  I do want to start learning how to do the LineRender 9000, I have it but haven't tried it. I would kind of like to take an image and make a good line drawing out of it and then go into photoshop and paint the whole thing.  I really enjoy painting line drawings, so if I can make my own line drawings and paint them, I would be very pleased.

More dragons! Please ;)

- Greg

Thank you!  I do love dragons....

A render with Will's new art shaders (with post work in PS). 

She's cute!

Been a while since I've posted any NPR in this thread, so here's a couple black & white algorithms I've been honing (featuring Wormlip wearing Strangefate's incredible Kadis Armor):

I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment, but once things settle down a bit, I'll do a short animation . . . it's alive!

- Greg

I seriously love this and would love to see it animated.

Here's a rerender of something I worked on before.

You know, this might just ... steal me away from PWToon and similar, because it works at least as well, and just as fast. This render was at 2160x2160, took 7 minutes. And I could probably have stopped it at 3 or 4 minutes, I just got distracted by something.

I want to color this....Very cool

I need to read this thread from the beginning again.  And take notes.  I got behind and still haven't caught up.

@Ice Dragon Art Thanks, Sonja! :D 

I look forward to seeing more of you work. I agree with Greg, more dragons please! :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Playing around with my Iray art shaders.

Rendered two passes; color with flat light, sketch with directional (mostly) light. Sketch uses flat white/outline geoshell for Hiro, and Graysketch for the rest. (I find sometimes I want firm outlines, but for terrain and such, the simpler approach of Graysketch works fine).

Flattened the color range; color layer, copy/paste it as a new layer. Top layer: Overlay mode, invert color, make B&W, set Opacity to 75% (so it's not COMPLETELY flat, which can do weird things to colors).

Sketch on top. Adjust brightness/vibrance (I found it useful to brighten the heck out of the color layer)

Hiro Stance Toon.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M

The shading looked too realistic, so I tried again, gave the outline layer a Photoshop filter (angled strokes, one of a few that I really like for this sort of thing.)

Hiro Stance Toon.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
  • The shading looked too realistic, so I tried again, gave the outline layer a Photoshop filter (angled strokes, one of a few that I really like for this sort of thing.)

I agree – the sketch filter made all the difference in the world. 

BTW: Thanks again for the info on using your shaders. I read the whole thread last night, and coupled with your PH I finally got some of the shaders to work for me. Now I just need to practice with them a bit to see what kind of results I can get.

I did find it necessary to double the size of the image to get the right sketch effect, because I couldn't get the sketch fill fine enough at 1080x1080. But... it was easy. Double size, sketch filter, half size. Woo.

Played around a bit with the B&W layer only. This time I found it necessary to go up to 4320x4320 to get the filters to look right.

Hiro Stance Sketch.png
    667 x 1080 - 885K
  • Played around a bit with the B&W layer only. This time I found it necessary to go up to 4320x4320 to get the filters to look right.

Yup. That's why I work with images at huge sizes. To get good results, you've got to have enough pixels to work with. I routinely work with images in the 4000-5000 pixel range. The nice thing is, when you're working with black and white, you can render images quickly. And the same for processing the image in Photoshop.

This looks pretty good, BTW.

Thanks! Yeah, it's Iray renders, but it takes maybe a few minutes, tops. Not needing exotic SSS or fine detail or whatever, it zooms.

And with B&W, I'm generally dumping all the textures that might hit the cap, too.

Some comments returned me to poking at art shaders some more, and developed WT Focus Color (over in my freebies). It 'averages' a texture map's color with a focus color you define, so it can somewhat flatten the variation of the original color. It's basically like a Multiply with adjusting the result down, but more powerful.

Here is the result. The only postwork was adding the backdrop.

(WT Focus Color on Darius, plus WT Outline on a geoshell on him and the sword)

Darius toon.png
    667 x 1080 - 570K

Some comments returned me to poking at art shaders some more, and developed WT Focus Color (over in my freebies). It 'averages' a texture map's color with a focus color you define, so it can somewhat flatten the variation of the original color. It's basically like a Multiply with adjusting the result down, but more powerful.

Here is the result. The only postwork was adding the backdrop.

(WT Focus Color on Darius, plus WT Outline on a geoshell on him and the sword)

Great reander. The shader looks like it's going to be really helpful for NPR renders. Thank you, Will!

This started using my Graysketch/Outline stuff, then I ran it through Edges filter in FilterForge to make the lines pop.

I found it useful to start render at 4320x4320, run filters, then compress to 2160x2160 to make it look cleaner.

Thankfully, art shaders run faaaast. I think it was a five minute Iray render. Heh.

Zenith sketch3.png
    2160 x 2160 - 3M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,160

This started using my Graysketch/Outline stuff, then I ran it through Edges filter in FilterForge to make the lines pop.

I found it useful to start render at 4320x4320, run filters, then compress to 2160x2160 to make it look cleaner.

Thankfully, art shaders run faaaast. I think it was a five minute Iray render. Heh.

That's very impressive for a 5 minute render, Will. Keep showing us more.

This is what the render output looks like, for reference (though at half size for load sake)

Zenith sketch2.png
    2160 x 2160 - 2M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,160

This is what the render output looks like, for reference (though at half size for load sake)

I actually like that one even better, Will!

• barbult said:

I actually like that one even better, Will!

Although i agree with you that the second one is very attractive on its own, I'm VERY impressed with the first image. The lines are crisp and clean – this would be very easy to use for a technical illustration or in comic book art. So far, though, I'm NOT getting results like this. :-(  Guess I just need to practice more.

Well, those required me using a Filterforge filter. Appropriately named 'edges and'... something.

I had to play with it, but it did a great job capturing edges.

Originally I was trying to use Find Edges in Photoshop, but it just looked... bad. Muddy indistinct.

• I used to use this method in photoshop which worked well although I haven't needed to do it in a while.

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/tutorials/toon_ink/toon_ink.html

edited February 2017

Another something toony. :) Iray render, post work in Photoshop (PS filters and Nik Collection filters).

Here's the original render:

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

This is what the render output looks like, for reference (though at half size for load sake) ...

That is looking great. It is the look, I am looking after, when thinking of NPR images.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

A render with Will's new art shaders (with post work in PS). ...

Very impressive, Diva. Just wonder, how much postwork was involved in creating your image.

Yeah, I'm torn between more line-heavy vs. more shaded. Heh.

I have got to make the time to try those Will they look really impressive. 

Cute renders Diva!  I'm not really into toons but yours are always lovely.

This discussion has been closed.