CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    betsy662 said:
    Heres my last one for 2012! I promise, I won't start setting another scene until after midnight!

READY SET GO!

Love the backdrop scene...what is it?

:-)

Thats just a photo of West Texas pasted onto a plane.

edited December 1969

Bettie of the Year 2012.

bettie_of_the_year_2012_00._.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 505K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

I noticed that 40 ford is the same one Cherokee has in his render. The front bumper tips and the chrome headlight frames. Is that a GTA convertion, or did you guys get it somewhere else?

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I noticed that 40 ford is the same one Cherokee has in his render. The front bumper tips and the chrome headlight frames. Is that a GTA convertion, or did you guys get it somewhere else?

Thats the gta conversion.

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    music2u4u said:

Thats the gta conversion.

Yeah, it sure is and that car is awesome. Even the headlight glass is modeled to look like a headlight.

edited January 2013

I have downloaded it a few times and everytime I try to open it in ZModeler, any version, the chassis and interior polies are exploded all over the place. I have tried to work with it but no go. I did save the body and doors and hood as .obj files, but I would love to have the whole car load right. I really want it bad...lol.

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I have downloaded it a few times and everytime I try to open it in ZModeler, any version, the chassis and interior polies are exploded all over the place. I have tried to work with it but no go. I did save the body and doors and hood as .obj files, but I would love to have the whole car load right. I really want it bad...lol.

I don't remember what I did to get it to work but I do remember, back in this forum when we started working with it, Betsy was using Blender to convert it. I tried that but the material file name were not what I was used to using so I didn't go that route and for the life of me, can't remember what I did to get it working the way I needed.

edited December 1969

Most of the cars do convert fine in Blender, not all of them however, some will convert fine, show up fine in Poser, but then won't even work in DS, but that one was one of the best ones for sure..

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

Okay, I converted that one in Blender, in Blender, once you load the .dff in Blender, then alt.+ H, that will open up or make visible all of the DAM files, simple matter of deleting those, just like you would in any other program, I'll go out on a limb here and say its possible that what your seeing when you open it in Zmodeler might just be the DAM files, because those often do come up exploded, turned around and and often sitting below the car, plus the DAM files you find within the doors, windows, hood and truck lid, as well as the bumpers, I simply delete all those extra files, make copy after copy of the wheels n tires, that is if I'm not using a differents set of wheels, like I did on the 55 and 56 Chevy's, then in order to see if it will even load in DS, I will usually export the whole car as a wavefront obj, once I see that it works in DS, then I will export it in parts in order to do the work on it in Poser to make it somwhat animated.

edited December 1969

Heres a shot of both 40 Fords, the one on the left is from Nationale7, the one on the right is the gta converstion.

two_fordy_fords.jpg
    1900 x 882 - 308K
    edited January 2013

It's not the DAM files, I delete them all to begin with. After deleting each regular file, it is the file called "Chassis" and the one called "int" for interior. I have Blender but have never used it. I will try to open it in Blender and see what I get. I got it from the GTA site that has all the cool old cars. It's called "Gta-worldmods.de". It's the first file they show as it has just been added to the site. Maybe I can find it on another site done by someone else. This one is a very new conversion. It had to be unlocked as well. Most all the cars from that site are locked and I will assume it is a Denmark site so maybe the language has something to do with it not reading correctly.

edited January 2013

I downloaded it again from a different site. The file is the same (by Hustler) and it opens all exploded too. I tried opening them in Blender 2.60 but I do not see an import for .dff files so I opened the file after I converted it to an .obj file. I have included a quick screenshot of what the chassis .obj file looks like so you can see just how bad it is! That point at the top is the small roof antenna.

So...how do you get a .dff file to open in Blender?

40FordChassis.jpg
    847 x 482 - 42K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I downloaded it again from a different site. The file is the same (by Hustler) and it opens all exploded too. I tried opening them in Blender 2.60 but I do not see an import for .dff files so I opened the file after I converted it to an .obj file. I have included a quick screenshot of what the chassis .obj file looks like so you can see just how bad it is! That point at the top is the small roof antenna.

You have to download the plugin for Blender to open .dff files, I don't have the link myself, but it is a few pages back in this thread, it came up about the time that we were all discussing how Zmodeler had come down in price, but you do need the plugin in Blender in order to open Renderwear.dff files.

edited December 1969

YAY, a little bit of google-fu and I was able to find a free solution for importing dff files into blender! I searched for "gtatools for blender" which lead me to a site in japanese, but it looks like it was released/updated 08-12-2012 so very recent. Be aware, the imports can take a few seconds/min during which time windows might think blender has become "unresponsive" but just wait it out and poof there it is. You still have to go through and delete all the extra junk that comes in but that is pretty easy to do via the scene pane. This ONLY works with dff files but there are tons of them out there to download for free!

As for there only being one wheel on conversion, from what I can see in blender, the whole model consists of "dummy" objects most of which contain both the real object and the collision object. The wheels all have dummy objects but only one of them has an actual wheel object in the few I have opened up so far.

Now I just need to learn a bit more about blender so that I can duplicate & place all the wheels in their proper places prior to exporting it as an obj. I'm not sure if the "dummy" objects are anything to worry about since they don't seem to have any textures or anything...

Okay, this is how I found the gta tools for Blender, I had to do a search for it, but I did find it, as said earlier, you do need a plugin for .dff files to open in Blender.

• RNR_DV8RNR_DV8 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=522492

the 0.9.2 works fine in blender 2.65a, it imported that ford fine except with only one wheel, lol.

edited December 1969

ok...I found the Japanese page you guys were talking about, but I have no idea which of these things to download, there are lots of them.

I got one called "gta tools for Blender", but where the heck do I put the contents from the .zip file? I am just lost! I am not even sure I got the right script.

Someone PLEASE help me get this thing working. I have Blender 2.60 and 2.65a.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    ok...I found the Japanese page you guys were talking about, but I have no idea which of these things to download, there are lots of them.

I got one called "gta tools for Blender", but where the heck do I put the contents from the .zip file? I am just lost! I am not even sure I got the right script.

Someone PLEASE help me get this thing working. I have Blender 2.60 and 2.65a.

if it is the Japanese one with the gui there will be a folder space3dview something or other....just move that folder into \blender-2.65a-windows32\2.65\scripts\addons then start blender and go to file/user preferences/add ons/ look in left column 3d view click it then tick the box and also the save as default and your all set., the gui will be on the blender main page left column under object tools at the bottom.

edited December 1969

I got the 0.9.2 one you put the link up for. I went through the user preferances/addon thing and installed it. It shows in the import now as renderview .dff. I clicked it and went to the Ford .dff file, clicked it and Blender went black and said not responding, so I waited and waited and finally it loaded...whew! I'll let you know what I have later.

edited December 1969

Ok you'ze guyz!

I got it all working now. I had to go into Super Modeling Man mode. I have never even opened Blender before tonight and had to learn the entire interface in like 30 minutes...I did!

I also discovered that on the right upper corner there is a model hiarchy tree. I can click it open and it lists all the parts like it does in ZModeler. I was able to go to each DAM file and delete each one (the alt+H didn't work BTW, it did nothing at all.)

with this I figured out how to delete all the parts except the part I wanted to export as an .obj. This way I can export the doors and the hood and trunk and each tire as seperate objects, making them movable. Once I import each part into Poser, and they do load in place, I can set the point of origin for rotation and make them open and close with limits so they stop perfectly in place and only open as far as they should. Then I can save the entire car as a .pp2 file with all the parts working perfectly.

The texture files should load into place. Each part has a number now, and all in series. So I can just write down which series goes to which part of the car, as these also show in the hiarchy tree under the part.

I was able to duplicate the tire fast and import what I have into DS3.1. Here is a quick OpenGL render of what I have now. Next...textures.

I have learned ALL this in under an hour. Start to finish. Am I Super Model Man or what?....hehehe.

1940FordDeluxeRaw1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 294K
    edited December 1969

Here is a screeshot of the hiarchy tree in Blender.

Hiarchy.jpg
    410 x 609 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Nice work, I am impressed, I've used blender before and about all I can do is import and export and I struggle with that. I tried exporting it straight out as an obj and it melted, so I exported it as an fbx and it exploded, lol. Anyway I have it sort of under control now except I have to align the hood trunk and doors. I think in blender h is hide and alt h is unhide, but I may be wrong. I have extra dented parts I guess I'll just delete....?

edited January 2013

So I finally finished it. When I first exported it as an .obj file, took it into DS3 and applied shaders and texture maps, it took a while because I had to guess at which texture went where...lots of them. I started seeing a pattern of them and it went faster. I had to make my own transmap for the letters on the hubcaps as they had a white square backing. Then when I got all textures in place, I tried a render with the included 3Delight render engine. The entire car came back black! OMG!

So, I then tried a quick low quality OpenGL render and you could see it all, but no gloss and chrome was black. I went back through the advanced settings and noticed there were many zones that had a blue image under reflections, so I removed all of them. Still black.

So here is what resolved it...I re-exported it from DS3 as an .obj file and had it save the maps with it. I then imported the new .obj file back into DS3 and all the chrome was bright white. The chrome shaders did not export with the file, but DZFire's real paint ones did. So I then re-applied all the chrome shaders same as before and did a 3Delight render again in DS3. BINGO! That fixed it. Don't know why it kept rendering back black, but it must have had something to do with the Blender exported .obj file into DS3.

Anyway...here is the final model. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. This was brain straining...lol. I need 8 hours sleep now. I was impressed with Blender 2.65a. Never used it before. I thin I might play with it some more and learn it real good. Maybe render something in it.

oh...betsy....how do you rotate the camera in Blender? I never could figure that out. Not the model, but the camera so I can look at the car from different angles when I am working on it without moving the car.

1940FordDeluxeDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 118K
  • edited December 1969

music do you want to rotate the camera or the viewport????
    there is a diference
    the camera is mainly for the render but the main viewport is is the viewport
    depending on desired rotations CTRL+ALT+ RMB(middle right mouse button)
    or SHIFT+ALT+RMB
    now wait until you get into the integrator settings for the diferent cameras
    and then we add in the options for the occlusions

edited December 1969

I'll give both a try. Thanks SP.

edited December 1969

Here are a few more I did in Blender today. Don't know why they all render black until I resave them as .obj files in DS. Then they are fine.

JunkyardTruckDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 126K
    60sXKEJaguarDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 97K
  • edited December 1969

i just realised that i wrote RMB and then middle mouse button
    it is the scroll wheel or middle mouse button depending on the mouse or device you are using
    as for why they render black id need to see the materials settings that you are using and also the lights layout

edited January 2013

Default DS lighting, none added. Material settings stay the same after I re-export it as an .obj file. Nothing changes. .obj to .obj.

I do know that it is similar to when I open a .3ds file in Poseray, and then hit groups/flip normals. The entire object turns black the same way. Flip it again and it clears up, etc. so maybe this is what is happening. I do know that when I import the Blender .obj file into DS, it loads with all the letters backwards. I have to change the "X" from 100 to -100 for it to be correct. Always exports backwards. Writing on tires is backwards, on dash guages is backwards, steering wheel is on wrong side, etc.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Just a post to jog the notifications back into action

edited December 1969

HULLO?....anyone home?

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    HULLO?....anyone home?