• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited February 2017

I had a lot of fun with this one. Photoshop and one Nik filter

Mermaid Niko V4 3.png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Artini said:

A render with Will's new art shaders (with post work in PS). ...

Very impressive, Diva. Just wonder, how much postwork was involved in creating your image.

Not a whole lot, here's the original. 

I have got to make the time to try those Will they look really impressive. 

Cute renders Diva!  I'm not really into toons but yours are always lovely.

Oh thank you!  :D That's sweet of you to say. 

That's cool - I love her tail! The Nik collection is awesome, isn't it? :) 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited February 2017

I thought I'd share the best of what I did with some playing around with G'Mic in Gimp.  Or, at least, it's my favorite of what I did in there anyway. 

Graphic Novel effect:

Oil Painting effect:

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I picked up some Topaz filters and FilterForge last night and sat down tonight to start figuring out various filter blends I liked. This one is my favorite. It turns out I really like saturation, even more than lines. (Although I started the evening playing with Will's new shaders, then got distracted on FF looking for the Edges filter he mentioned and....)

edited February 2017

Will's greyscale shade + sketch-and-color from filter forge.

ETA a couple more variations. Thinking hard about how I want the art to look in a project of mine. Rendering with Will's shader w/ dfifuse colors applied works sooooo well in these filter sets. I dunno if I'm totally subverting the point of the shader, but....

WTP tommie bw.png
    834 x 1080 - 1M
    Clean Cartoon + FF Watercolor Merge.png
    1545 x 2000 - 2M
    Impressions Spillustration.png
    1545 x 1909 - 2M
    Post edited by dreamfarmer on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

The point is making art you like, so sure. ;)

Have you seen the Focus Color shader? It has some nice possibilities for using existing textures.

That's cool - I love her tail! The Nik collection is awesome, isn't it? :) 

Yes it really is!

This uses Focus Color to 'mute' the colors a bit, plus Outline, and then some basic contrast adjustment in Photoshop.

I was going to try using Edges and Tones in FilterForge, but... ended up deciding I liked the look of this better.

Painted Lilith.png
    668 x 1080 - 590K

Focus Color looks pretty cool! I'm not sure if it's best for the sort of watercolor look I'm currently working on but it opens up a lot of possibilities, especially on  a material-by-material basis.

It's my best solution for trying to make existing textures more art-like.

Early on, I'd replace skins (say) with a flat color. But that meant I had to add eyebrows back in, mess with lips, and black people just look wrong (palms, for example).

Then I tried a Posterizer. And that looks absolutely godawful, most of the time.

This was somewhat of an outgrowth of the Posterizer idea. It's particularly dramatic when you have a texture with lots of very high contrast fine details, and then you don't have to fight in post between trying to smooth THOSE details and not blurring out fine lines and such.

This uses Focus Color to 'mute' the colors a bit, plus Outline, and then some basic contrast adjustment in Photoshop.

I was going to try using Edges and Tones in FilterForge, but... ended up deciding I liked the look of this better.

Where is the "Focus Color" setting?

I uploaded it on page 3 of my freebies ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/141136/will-s-freebies/p3 )

but here it is again.

It will be in WTP4, whenever I get that together.

The settings are 'Focus Strength' and 'Focus Color.'

Strength controls how much the Focus Color dominates; at 0 there is no effect. I find values of .5-1 are sufficient.

duf
    duf
    WT Focus Color.duf

Another thing I was hoping for was a way to smooth out skydome images. I kept getting nice, somewhat toonish figures and then either a blank sky or a detailed clouds and sun.

I uploaded it on page 3 of my freebies ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/141136/will-s-freebies/p3 )

but here it is again.

It will be in WTP4, whenever I get that together.

The settings are 'Focus Strength' and 'Focus Color.'

Strength controls how much the Focus Color dominates; at 0 there is no effect. I find values of .5-1 are sufficient.

That works great! Thank you. :D Now I don't have to switch out my mats to try and find more "toon" type textures. Thank you, Will! 

Welcome!

If you look at the link and the Darius face, it's probably the most impressive demonstration of how it works; Darius skin has a LOT of wildly varying colors/brightness.

I saw that. I think a couple of Wills shaders actually do a couple of those effects. :)

The big thing mine don't do is the sketchy stuff in particular. No idea how DT managed that, but kudos. ;)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited February 2017

Anyone try PaintsChainer with a lineart from Daz?  I saw one only on the twitter...

They say its a colorizer using Neural networks...???  You give it hints and it paints your pic.  Be interesting to see how one turns out!

http://paintschainer.preferred.tech/

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Will's greyscale shade + sketch-and-color from filter forge.

ETA a couple more variations. Thinking hard about how I want the art to look in a project of mine. Rendering with Will's shader w/ dfifuse colors applied works sooooo well in these filter sets. I dunno if I'm totally subverting the point of the shader, but....

Realy like this!

• Will's greyscale shade + sketch-and-color from filter forge.

Realy like this!

I really like how the hair turned out in that last one @dreamfarmer.  Nice!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I thought I'd share the best of what I did with some playing around with G'Mic in Gimp.  Or, at least, it's my favorite of what I did in there anyway. 

Graphic Novel effect:

Oil Painting effect:

Knittingmommy, beautiful! A very memorable picture. Especially, I love the top one.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

Oooh . . . other people using neural nets for NPR - woot! Thanks for posting the link, 3DOutlaw!

- Greg

• djigneodjigneo Posts: 283
    edited February 2017
    3dOutlaw said:

Anyone try PaintsChainer with a lineart from Daz?  I saw one only on the twitter...

They say its a colorizer using Neural networks...???  You give it hints and it paints your pic.  Be interesting to see how one turns out!

http://paintschainer.preferred.tech/

I just fiddled a little with some line art I had lying around. Thanks for the link, it's pretty cool stuff!

Original black & white (LineRender9000 output)

Colorized output:

lien portrait bw_small.png
    800 x 960 - 258K
    lien portrait colorized.jpg
    512 x 576 - 65K
    Post edited by djigneo on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

That's cool, I am going to have to try it!  :)  Seems like it would work well with the Manga Shaders.

• video combining an ambient occlussion Octane pass with Carrara's NPR

second part just the NPR

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

Back after attempt on recovering files from my other PC (and work). Here's a Cover for my graphic novel :)

16487528_2183726195186580_429345700391411406_o.jpg
    640 x 960 - 134K

I used one of the filters in photoshop, I had no idea this was there lol.  Pretty happy with it, I don't do a lot that uses thsi look but I may be doing more after this one. There was a fair amount of painting and the flames were added in post.

This discussion has been closed.