Making Fake Ads using DAZ characters

1235»

Comments

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Fake ads? I did a lot of them years ago, mostly for my friends in the Rendo Bryce Forum. Here are a few. Let me know if you'd like to see more.

Good to see some more people that do fake ads. Lets see some more. I'm surprised to see Bryce used in this way. I ONLY use it for space scenes and landscapes only. I'm a DAZ Studio fan forever (until I learn how to use my other programs like Maya, ZBrush, etc)

My favorite is the Alien-like poster. Are all of your ads for Bryce forum?

edited December 2012

Just a big version of a Harley model I've been playing with in Bryce.

I still don't own a motorcycle model. Did you buy this from Daz? Did you render this in Bryce too? It looks really good with the reflection.

Post edited by Jake_35533 on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I still don't own a motorcycle model. Did you buy this from Daz?
    No, it's a freebie that came with Poser as far as I remember.
    If you want a reasonable freebie motorbike, there's this one (see attached image), that can be downloaded from here (though you may have some work to do on it when you get it into DS (I spent a day re-mapping all the materials so they were Bryce procedural ones).

Did you render this in Bryce too? It looks really good with the reflection.

Thanks and yes I've used Bryce exclusively for my renders for at least the last 6 months. Sometimes prior to that I used Poser too but I've not been using it recently except for exporting models into Bryce.

The reflection comes from the HDR backdrop and the subtle lighting on the bike comes also from the same HDR in the IBL lighting feature... Render time for it was four and a half hours.

ChopperGirlBig.jpg
    1159 x 906 - 590K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Fake ads? I did a lot of them years ago, mostly for my friends in the Rendo Bryce Forum. Here are a few. Let me know if you'd like to see more.

Good to see some more people that do fake ads. Lets see some more. I'm surprised to see Bryce used in this way. I ONLY use it for space scenes and landscapes only. I'm a DAZ Studio fan forever (until I learn how to use my other programs like Maya, ZBrush, etc)

Thanks! Mostly for the Forum, yes.

file_379625.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 272K
    file_382837.jpg
    512 x 768 - 158K
    file_968991.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 245K
    file_976643.jpg
    800 x 600 - 163K
    file_274843.jpg
    490 x 768 - 90K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    tjohn said:

Thanks! Mostly for the Forum, yes.

The easter bunny ad made me laugh!! That was a really good one.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

The wet paint ad wow'ed me. The thought of doing something like that so seamlessly in daz...:ohh:

The K9P and the Easter Bunny ad :lol:

edited December 1969

The reflection comes from the HDR backdrop and the subtle lighting on the bike comes also from the same HDR in the IBL lighting feature... Render time for it was four and a half hours.

I've never used the HDR feature. Now I understand why the renderings look good. I'm curious, do you have a powerful computer? I know that Bryce takes a lot to render things, thats why I only use it for landscapes.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

Wrong. Up until a couple of months ago I was using Bryce ( older version) on a 6 year old single core machine with only 1gb of ram.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_239/file_2384955.jpg

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2012

I've never used the HDR feature. Now I understand why the renderings look good. I'm curious, do you have a powerful computer? I know that Bryce takes a lot to render things, thats why I only use it for landscapes.

Not particularly powerful no.
    It's a 7 year old 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook (the new Macs won't run Bryce, or more accurately the new OS that comes with the new Macs wont run Bryce).
    It is possible when using the premium features in Bryce to end up with ridiculous render times, but extreme ones are mostly the result of not setting things up correctly. For instance with the bike, I tried a test render using the "Regular" quality mode and it was estimating twice as long (and the Bryce estimatefor Regular mode doesn't include the anti aliasing which can add a further third to the render time), so the estimate was 8 hours (in reality that would have been over 10 hours). So it was actually more economical to use the "Premium" quality mode and utilise soft shadows and True Ambience instead of relying entirely upon the IBL light to give a similar result. This meant I could set the IBL to only supply the reflection and light the bike using a soft shadowed sun and a few soft shadowed radial lights and render in half the time. It also helps that the bike has no transparent or volumetric materials on it as both of those can vastly increase the render process, so using True Ambience allows you to set the shadows to 100 instead of the default 90% which basically makes all materials a bit transparent in order to let 10% of the light through.

OK, now I'm just rambling and getting maybe too complex... If you're interested, check out some of David Brinnen's excellent tutorials, he tries to find ways to utilise premium features in a way that maximises their use without maxing the render times. :)

ETA: @ tjohn, great work there. Personally I'm loving the EscherSketch because I'm a big fan of Escher... great idea! :-)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Not particularly powerful no.
    It's a 7 year old 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook (the new Macs won't run Bryce, or more accurately the new OS that comes with the new Macs wont run Bryce).

I thought I was having problems with my computer. (I have a 2.5 GHz Intel quad core i7 Macbook pro with 16GB of Ram and OSX Lion). I stopped using Bryce because it crashes all the time. Even DAZ studio 4.0 crashes once in a while. There was another program that requires OSX Lion so I was forced to leave the more stable Snow Leopard. Switching to Lion also broke half my programs like Daz Mimic and some of my older downloads that use the old installer. When will they update Bryce and Mimic to work with OSX Lion?

edited December 2012

It is possible when using the premium features in Bryce to end up with ridiculous render times, but extreme ones are mostly the result of not setting things up correctly. For instance with the bike, I tried a test render using the "Regular" quality mode and it was estimating twice as long (and the Bryce estimatefor Regular mode doesn't include the anti aliasing which can add a further third to the render time), so the estimate was 8 hours (in reality that would have been over 10 hours). So it was actually more economical to use the "Premium" quality mode and utilise soft shadows and True Ambience instead of relying entirely upon the IBL light to give a similar result. This meant I could set the IBL to only supply the reflection and light the bike using a soft shadowed sun and a few soft shadowed radial lights and render in half the time. It also helps that the bike has no transparent or volumetric materials on it as both of those can vastly increase the render process, so using True Ambience allows you to set the shadows to 100 instead of the default 90% which basically makes all materials a bit transparent in order to let 10% of the light through.

OK, now I'm just rambling and getting maybe too complex... If you're interested, check out some of David Brinnen's excellent tutorials, he tries to find ways to utilise premium features in a way that maximises their use without maxing the render times. :)

I understand most of what you said. That is why I basically abandoned Bryce. I could never get the rendering times to work. I would set up a scene and then it would render forever and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. This almost never happens with my other programs I use (like e-on Vue, which is still a little complex for me right now).

(Its sad I have to abandon it because Bryce is my very first program I ever used when I was 12 years old and it was the springboard for my trek into 3D. But now that I see what is possible, I may need to get back to it) I went from Bryce (using it elusively in school for my projects, to Poser (which was good but a little strange to me because DAZ started making stuff and it became clear that Daz Studio was the better choice. Then I landed on Daz Studio 2 (which was very weak), then Daz studio 3 (which was much better but very buggy and barely usable), then the Reality plugging for Daz, which caused me to totally abandon Poser for good. Then Daz studio 4 (which is by far the best and most stable version). I can't use Daz studio 4.5 because it broke some of my files made with 4.0 (it made the characters distorted and twisted and there was no way to get them normal). So I am stuck at 4.0.

Is anyone else having problems with 4.5 braking their files made with 4.0?

Post edited by Jake_35533 on
    edited December 1969

Well the word from Daz about updating Bryce is it will happen eventually, but we're not holding our breath as they don't even presently have anyone on contract who could do it. Meanwhile, I'll be hanging onto my old MacBook and Leopard so I can continue to use Bryce.

I don't know anything about Daz Studio, as I don't use it.

In other news; I've been using Bryce to make some heart shapes because someone posed the question down in the Bryce sub forum.
    I've ended up with this pic, which I guess also qualifies as a fake ad.

ChocBox2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 364K
    edited December 1969

Well the word from Daz about updating Bryce is it will happen eventually, but we're not holding our breath as they don't even presently have anyone on contract who could do it. Meanwhile, I'll be hanging onto my old MacBook and Leopard so I can continue to use Bryce.

In other news; I've been using Bryce to make some heart shapes because someone posed the question down in the Bryce sub forum.

Another simple but impressive render. I have to check out the Bryce forum. I didn't know all that stuff is happening over there!

edited December 1969

Made a little "Bryce Candy" myself. :)
    file_366480.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 264K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Made a little "Bryce Candy" myself. :)

Sorry TheSavage64, Tjohn's candy is a little more tasty :)

• thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Here's one i had in the old gallery. Can't think of what ad this could be for.

Maybe for something like this...
    fenistil-scratch.jpg
    1191 x 842 - 98K
    edited December 1969

fasttam said:
    Here's one i had in the old gallery. Can't think of what ad this could be for.

Maybe for something like this...

OK, that's one of the funniest renders I've ever seen! :lol: :lol:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited April 2013

chohole said:
    Who is George Michael ?

Seriously? :gulp:

One of the hundreds of websites click here.
    ...and here, I always thought he was the host of The George Michael Sports Machine on NBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC3RQsGitg

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...anyway Just saw this thread after linking to it from another. Looks like fun.

Here's two I did a while back:

The first for a B-Movie poster themed challenge

The Second for a Rosie The Riveter themed Challenge.

rosie_sign_final.jpg
    850 x 1035 - 483K
    vampire_butterfly_women_UC.jpg
    880 x 1115 - 388K
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
    8359265883_603432d3cf_c.jpg
    800 x 600 - 288K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

ha ha ha ha .. that is creative right there.now ..lol good one

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

ha ha ha ha .. that is creative right there.now ..lol good one

Even longhaired Llama's needs their shampoo, you know. I think they dislike dandruff... :lol:

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

I happened across this thread in a Google search for something else.  Great artworks.  heart   Miss Chohole... sad

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

WandW said:

I happened across this thread in a Google search for something else.  Great artworks.  heart   Miss Chohole... sad

WandW,

You might find this forum thread interesting: Book Covers.

Cheers!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 1

Remembering Chohole.  heart.  RIP.

When I was first migrating from Carrara to Daz Studio, I picked a few vintage ads as sample projects.  Here is a side by side with an old Microsheen shoe polish ad.  One observer said mine looked like Santa had hung himself.  LOL.  (Gallows humor - right?)

metasheen parody.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 167K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094

Yes, sometimes it is good to bring a thread back to life. I never saw this one, was good for a laugh. :)