Making Fake Ads using DAZ characters

Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
edited August 2012 in Art Studio

My side hobby is to make fake Magazine covers and Ads using DAZ characters. Here are three of them. (I didn't know that BOSS cigarettes were a real brand until I googled it much later. I guess I can't submit this to the main DAZ gallery since it is considered an advertisement or "product shot" as they said). Would these images be rejected in the main gallery because they advertise something (even if they are fake ads?) I want to do more, have any ideas?

All images were made in DAZ Studio with Reality/LuxRender and Photoshop

GQ_ad.jpg
868 x 1123 - 498K
LE_MANLI.jpg
901 x 999 - 920K
BOSS_MAN_(FINAL)_2.jpg
1162 x 873 - 961K
Daz_health_magazine.jpg
1087 x 1354 - 2M
Daz_fashion_Mag_copy.jpg
869 x 1179 - 805K
Post edited by Jake_35533 on

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2012

Your picture links aint linking to any pictures. :-)

Here's some of mine done over the years.
    Thought I'd start with a good old fashioned pro smoking one.
    (as you will see from my avatar, I like smoking)

The other two are fake mag covers I regularly do for a sceptic forum I post on.

Squid-Mag5.jpg
    510 x 752 - 106K
    Squid-Mag-1.jpg
    510 x 753 - 112K
    TopHat-Cigarette2.jpg
    807 x 576 - 63K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited August 2012

I just realized the links are bad. I copied this from my old post hoping the images were intact. I will re post teh images later on today. This new forum has deleted all my gallery images too. Your first image is almost exactly like the idea i was going for with mine. The other two are really good. Did you make these recently and did you do anymore?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

I think I've seen your stuff on the old forum. They were very good as I recall. I hope you get them posted again.

@Savage64: Love those also, very cool ideas.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

I just realized the links are bad. I copied this from my old post hoping the images were intact. I will re post teh images later on today. This new forum has deleted all my gallery images too. Your first image is almost exactly like the idea i was going for with mine. The other two are really good. Did you make these recently and did you do anymore?

The galleries aren't working at the moment. We were told, back on the old archived site, that galleries would be added, but would be the one of the last things they would work on, after getting the store and forums sorted out.

We were also tole that no images would be deleted, unless they were in the gallery that was linked with the forum, the one where you could only upload small images.

Any images the you uploaded in your thread in the Art Studio on the old archived forum can be retrieved with a modicum of manipulation.

like this

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_2_3380866.jpg
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Did you make these recently and did you do anymore?

Thanks.
    Yes, I've got hundreds, but mostly not using Daz and usually not adverts... I've got lots of fake parody movie posters that have bits of 3D renders in them... this kind of thing:
    Attack-Poster.jpg
    510 x 753 - 138K
    Alien-Bikers-Poster.jpg
    510 x 753 - 130K
    Apocalypse-Not-Poster.jpg
    510 x 753 - 134K
    Zombie-Alien-Poster.jpg
    510 x 753 - 104K
    Phoenix-Poster.jpg
    510 x 753 - 122K
    edited December 1969

I just found this other 'smoking' one, and another 'alien' one I did. :)

Alien-Stomper.jpg
    500 x 541 - 68K
    TopHatCigarette.jpg
    807 x 576 - 59K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    edited December 1969

TheSavage64, love those last two!

edited August 2012

I just found this other 'smoking' one, and another 'alien' one I did. :)

Here is the smoking one I was talking about. (Finally uploaded the pictures at the beginning). Your posters are very cool. I see you're an alien fan. Those are far more detailed than my ideas. I was thinking about doing a movie poster but never got around to doing it.

BOSS_MAN_(FINAL)_2.jpg
    1162 x 873 - 961K
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Satire is always good if done well. I like this kind of work.

• edited August 2012

Lol Jake at the third image... if your new body is easy I want to meet it.

Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
  • CaptainMARCCaptainMARC Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

"Alien Bikers versus the Daleks" !!!!

That's just brilliant!

My compliments...

Post edited by CaptainMARC on
    edited December 1969

Here's a couple of fake Playstation games I designed... I then made up the ads for them and posted them on a website along with a fake letter of disgust from a concerned parent because their child had got these two games for Christmas. :lol:

Some riveting discussion took place with people who believed the 'hoax' and didn't bother checking any of the "facts" I'd posted.

Beat-The-Crowds-Ad.jpg
    450 x 637 - 67K
    Drunk-Driver-Advert.jpg
    450 x 637 - 72K
    Bar-Room-Brawl-Game.jpg
    500 x 587 - 75K
    Drunk-Driver-Game.jpg
    500 x 587 - 83K
    edited August 2012

Here's a couple of fake Playstation games I designed... I then made up the ads for them and posted them on a website along with a fake letter of disgust from a concerned parent because their child had got these two games for Christmas.

Your game ads are really thought provoking. You did a good job making them authentic looking too. I doubt ubisoft would create those games, it would more likely be rockstar games (they have already made controversial games similar to these, especially grand theft auto, which has stuff like this in the game already).

I also did a fake Playstation 4 game cover for Uncharted 5. You have mastered the poster making. I am just an amateur and mine are not as professional looking as yours. How did you get the lettering that way? Do you have a background in graphic design? About that discussion about your fake game covers, where was it, that seems interesting to read. Also that would be so cool to try that myself on a forum and see what happens.

Uncharted_5_edited-1.jpg
    683 x 888 - 467K
    Album-Blu-ray-Case_20090686485.jpg
    999 x 809 - 557K
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Lol Jake at the third image... if your new body is easy I want to meet it.

The ad is actually for "Digital Men". Its like if people lived in a computer, and Daz3D was a clothing store or something, men would go there and buy their new body by buying muscle morphs like we do at the DAZ store. That's the idea I was going for.

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Satire is always good if done well. I like this kind of work.

This is actually the most common satire on the internet. Also political comics do this all the time.

edited December 1969

Yes Jake I've been a graphic designer for about 30 years (since before computers were used!), I got into doing 3D work because I do a lot of packaging design and it's handy to apply the flat design to a 3D model to present to clients... and of course 3D stuff is a load of fun to use and abuse to illustrate points in internet discussions too. :)

The discussion was on a UFO forum (that closed at the beginning of the year)... I'll see if an archive of it exists and post a link later if it does.

Chewits_Ad.jpg
    596 x 843 - 94K
    edited August 2012

Is Chewit a real product you did for a client? Was this in a real magazine or is this fake?

Here is another Daz ad I made just before Daz closed the gallery to update the site. This was a test render for the new Michael 5 I got that day.
    The second one is actually my first attempt at a photo real image. It was part of my portfolio. It looks like a "got milk?" ad so I just added that part an hour ago to see how it looks.

Screen_Shot_2012-08-13_at_6.21_.26_AM_.png
    797 x 1027 - 989K
    daz_gallery.jpg
    928 x 1200 - 700K
    edited December 1969

Yes Chewits are a real product. :)

And the advert design was one that I presented to the client but sadly wasn't picked for publication in the end.

You've got some good realism in your skin textures and lighting in your renders BTW. good stuff.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What a great thread, Jake, Savage, I especially like the look of those movie posters, very nice - I love the look you got to them :-)

Anyway, posted to get notifications and to ask if you have any good "Apple Greed" type stuff?
    If ever a parody needed to be popular it is that one, so you must have one - even if you're an Apple customer.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    What a great thread, Jake, Savage, I especially like the look of those movie posters, very nice - I love the look you got to them :-)

Anyway, posted to get notifications and to ask if you have any good "Apple Greed" type stuff?
    If ever a parody needed to be popular it is that one, so you must have one - even if you're an Apple customer.

I actually am a Mac fan. I have owned or used almost every Apple product ever made. I even made a Powerpoint presentation of the history of the iPod. I actually have personal jokes about Apple and Microsoft but never tried to make a parody using Daz Characters. Besides, isn't it too early to make a Parody like this after Steve Jobs passing away?

edited December 1969

Same here Jake, I've also been a Mac owner for the last 20 odd years (my first one was the IICX which had a massive 40mb hard drive and 2mb of RAM and cost me £2200 second hand!!). I've still got it and it still works though (not that I ever use it).

Of course that doesn't stop me from parodying Apple at all... And I'm not sure that Steve's untimely death is really reason to prevent parodying of Apple, though I would say it's not in good taste to directly parody him, his illness or his death and in that respect, please bear in mind that I made this one long before he died.

iWantone.jpg
    700 x 438 - 13K
    Pea_Pod.jpg
    546 x 600 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Of course that doesn't stop me from parodying Apple at all... And I'm not sure that Steve's untimely death is really reason to prevent parodying of Apple, though I would say it's not in good taste to directly parody him, his illness or his death and in that respect, please bear in mind that I made this one long before he died.

Wow, what haven't you made into an ad? You seem to have a library of these things. The first Apple ad is hilarious. Did you do anything using Daz characters?

edited December 1969

Lol, yes, some people would say I have too much time on my hands. :)
    I guess it's the end result of when I've finished designing stuff for work, I design more stuff just for laughs.

No, I realise we're getting a bit off topic, but I haven't done any Apple related stuff using 3D characters.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

In response to the iWantone ad, here's an ad from people who certainly do not want one.
    Exactly the same style as yours, opposite opinion.

Think.jpg
    600 x 375 - 36K
    Post edited by DAZ_bfurner on
    edited August 2012

The first one is an illustration for a book I'm writing. Since he had a soda on the truck hood, it was re-imagined as a coca cola ad.

The Second one is the inside article of the GQ magazine cover I made.

The third one is just a random ad I made. Didn't know what to do with it so I made it into a Harley Davison ad. Its kind of weird because if I printed out most of these ads and binder them together, it would make a real Magazine, minus 50 or so pages.

Amry_scene_2_co.jpg
    2000 x 1462 - 1M
    almost_final.jpg
    2000 x 1372 - 2M
    BIKER_MAN_(FINAL)_harley_ad.jpg.jpg
    1315 x 817 - 662K
    edited December 1969

Not an ad but something I did yesterday.

Football_men_(FINAL).jpg
    1500 x 1453 - 2M
    edited August 2012

The third one is just a random ad I made. Didn't know what to do with it so I made it into a Harley Davison ad. Its kind of weird because if I printed out most of these ads and binder them together, it would make a real Magazine, minus 50 or so pages.

This one, the figure has a strange ressemblance to someone I know, well facially anyway, when he was younger, and indeed riding HDs
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    This one, the figure has a strange ressemblance to someone I know, well facially anyway,

You know George Michael? :ohh:
    edited December 1969

Who is George Michael ?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Who is George Michael ?

Seriously? :gulp:

One of the hundreds of websites click here.