Making Fake Ads using DAZ characters

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Who is George Michael ?

Seriously? :gulp:

One of the hundreds of websites click here.Not all of us remember Wham. I do, but I'm not sure I want too.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    chohole said:
    Who is George Michael ?

Seriously? :gulp:

One of the hundreds of websites click here.

Not all of us remember Wham. I do, but I'm not sure I want too.

Wham, is that close to the thud I get when my club lands ?

And this convo is seriously derailing Jake's thread. Sorry Jake.

Back to the normal prgram now.
  • Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

And this convo is seriously derailing Jake's thread. Sorry Jake.

Back to the normal prgram now.

No, its kind of funny. Which character looks like George Michael? The one on the left or the Harley Davidson one?

edited August 2012

I don't know about this George Michael character, but the one on the Harley image looks like my brother used to when he was younger, and riding HDs only he was much slimmer in the body. He was never the sporty or body building type, only thing he ever did was ride bikes (Pedal cycles) when he was young and then onto Bikes a soon as he was old enough to hold a licens. He still is a biker,

Also looks a little like my younger son a few years ago, again he is a lot slimmer though, but he always did look like his Grandad, as did my Bro look like his Dad.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,124
    edited December 1969

Poster Board promo for a Up-coming Underground Arena Fight
    Karate Girl vs American Ninja

This a real promo for a animation I am doing part of my "Karate Girl Adventures" Series. should be done in a couple of weeks. Don;t miss it get your sub-tickets now :)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0BED8C486F8E9C55&feature=plcp

KC_vs_AN_-_ultimate_warrior_-_promo1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 340K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I never thought to use Daz this way. Opens up a whole new world of opportunities. :-D Brilliant renders, by the way.

edited August 2012

Turned an experiment with the new football uniform I bought a week ago. Turned it into a Sports Illustrated magazine cover.

Sport-Illustrated2.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 1M
    Post edited by Jake_35533 on
    edited August 2012

Here is another one I turned into a National Geographic Magazine cover. This was hard to figure out what it could be, but it seems to fit NG cover exactly.

National-Geography.jpg
    1111 x 1615 - 2M
    edited August 2012

He looks like he is not keen on what he did find under his mansion, if that is Dr Mike on the cover.

I love seeing your "Ads", keep them coming.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Looking through some old stuff today I came across this and thought it worth posting.
    Bottle drawn in Bryce
    Bottle Label designed in Illustrator
    Snake (from the EF Zodiac series) posed in Poser

Rendered in Bryce.

Oil-Bottle2.jpg
    565 x 800 - 98K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    He looks like he is not keen on what he did find under his mansion, if that is Dr Mike on the cover.

I love seeing your "Ads", keep them coming.

I have to admit, i rushed the NG cover. I will see if i can add "what" he found under his mansion.

edited December 1969

Looking through some old stuff today I came across this and thought it worth posting.
    Bottle drawn in Bryce
    Bottle Label designed in Illustrator
    Snake (from the EF Zodiac series) posed in Poser

Rendered in Bryce.

How long did that take to render. Bryce is notorious for slow glass renderings. Now i know how you make yor letterings. I have illustrator but haven't learned how to use it. I only know photoshop right now.

edited December 1969

Hi Jake, Bryce is notorious for slow renderings regardless of what's being rendered. :lol:
    I did that picture last year and if I remember correctly, it took between 45 minutes to an hour to render.
    It was rendered at a relatively small size though and using the most basic render settings... That plus the simplest of lighting set ups can shave valuable time off renders.

As for using Illustrator, if you've got it, it's well worth investing some time to learn.
    I tend to use what ever does what ever job I'm doing best, so really most of the time I add words to my renders in Photoshop.
    But mostly when I'm designing real packaging and labels I use Illustrator so it seemed the best solution in that situation.

Illustrator also has some basic 3D mapping functionality. So you can design your label/package etc and then map it on to basic 3D shapes you've created in Illustrator using extrusion of 2D shapes and rotation of linework (like a lathe).

This whole ad including all the product was done in Illustrator (apart from the photo montage in the center of the board and on the box which were put together in Photoshop first).

Gothopoly.jpg
    595 x 846 - 101K
    edited December 1969

Hi Jake, Bryce is notorious for slow renderings regardless of what's being rendered. :lol:
    I did that picture last year and if I remember correctly, it took between 45 minutes to an hour to render.
    It was rendered at a relatively small size though and using the most basic render settings... That plus the simplest of lighting set ups can shave valuable time off renders.

As for using Illustrator, if you've got it, it's well worth investing some time to learn.
    I tend to use what ever does what ever job I'm doing best, so really most of the time I add words to my renders in Photoshop.
    But mostly when I'm designing real packaging and labels I use Illustrator so it seemed the best solution in that situation.

Illustrator also has some basic 3D mapping functionality. So you can design your label/package etc and then map it on to basic 3D shapes you've created in Illustrator using extrusion of 2D shapes and rotation of linework (like a lathe).

This whole ad including all the product was done in Illustrator (apart from the photo montage in the center of the board and on the box which were put together in Photoshop first).

45 minutes is not long. All my renderings using reality plugin take 5 to7 hours to render. I used to use bryce until i got daz studio. I learned how to do 3d with bryce when i was young, i used this daily. Now that i discovered e-on vue, bryce is limited to me.

I have been using photoshop for 10 years. I thought i could learn illustrator since it seems similar to photoshop but its totally different. I tried learning it but i gave up. How did you learn how to use it?

edited December 1969

I've been using Adobe Illustrator for 20 years, I just taught myself originally (it was a much more simple application back then), but working in many professional environments I picked up a lot from other people too. Now I work on my own usually from home so I'm back to experimenting with new features by myself, but as I spend nearly 100% of my awake time in front of the computer using these programmes, I get a lot of practice. :-)

Bryce rendering... yup again it's practice with render settings, lighting set ups and materials that can reduce render times.
    I've done renders that have taken days to complete. Vue renders things very quickly from my limited experience of it.
    When I first downloaded Vue (the most basic free version with no extra modules) I was very impressed. But then as I started to work out the cost of the additional modules to really make it sing and dance, I couldn't justify spending that amount of money.

It would be a different kettle of fish altogether If I got a good paying animation job to do, It'd be high on my priority list to purchase then.

edited December 1969

New Magazine Cover.

Peoples.jpg
    1111 x 1438 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Here is a movie poster. This is actually one of my very first serious renderings using the then just released Daz Studio 3, switching over from Poser.

Jack_in_space_MOVIE_POSTER.jpg
    666 x 950 - 496K
    edited August 2012

Another new Magazine Cover.

Moneys.jpg
    1111 x 1438 - 1M
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited December 1969

Fun thread. Thought I'd add this to the fray - a concept and render I did this weekend for the Member's Only RRRR 'back to school' contest. What's interesting about creating these 'fake' ads is the amount of back story you have to come up with. The writer in me found it extremely fun and plan on doing more. And having to work with four specific products you pull out of a hat (more or less) is even more of a challenge.

Thanks for starting this great thread!

Poster.jpg
    800 x 1113 - 467K
    tvguide.jpg
    315 x 200 - 33K
    edited August 2012

I had the VW Beetle model out again (for use in Bryce) yesterday and in the process, I came across this fake double spread I did for Squid Fishing Monthly.
    There is a complicated back story here, which I wont go into except to say that it was done in response to someone who reported a UFO over Lake Windermere in Canada and he described the UFO as being about the size of a VW Beetle and travelling faster than sound.

Spread.jpg
    891 x 595 - 132K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    Fun thread. Thought I'd add this to the fray - a concept and render I did this weekend for the Member's Only RRRR 'back to school' contest. What's interesting about creating these 'fake' ads is the amount of back story you have to come up with. The writer in me found it extremely fun and plan on doing more. And having to work with four specific products you pull out of a hat (more or less) is even more of a challenge.

Thanks for starting this great thread!

Wow. That is cool. I was laughed hard when I saw this one. Did you win the contest?

edited August 2012

Contest is still going on until next month ($125+ in prizes ;) I was one of the lucky winners last month so helping to sponsor prizes this month. Thanks for the kind words.... Because of this thread I'm working on another movie poster. Really enjoyed doing it. Thanks.
    s

Post edited by bohemian3 on
    edited December 1969

I had the VW Beetle model out again (for use in Bryce) yesterday and in the process, I came across this fake double spread I did for Squid Fishing Monthly.
    There is a complicated back story here, which I wont go into except to say that it was done in response to someone who reported a UFO over Lake Windermere in Canada and he described the UFO as being about the size of a VW Beetle and travelling faster than sound.

That is super cool. That looks very professional. You must really like UFOs. It seems to be a main theme in all your works. You must be a writer because you weave a deep story through all your "fake" posters and ads. You go deeper than real ads would usually go. How long does it take for you to finish one of these?

edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    Contest is still going on until next month ($125+ in prizes ;) I was one of the lucky winners last month so helping to sponsor prizes this month. Thanks for the kind words.... Because of this thread I'm working on another movie poster. Really enjoyed doing it. Thanks.
    s

Where is the contest?

edited August 2012

That is super cool. That looks very professional. You must really like UFOs. It seems to be a main theme in all your works. You must be a writer because you weave a deep story through all your "fake" posters and ads. You go deeper than real ads would usually go. How long does it take for you to finish one of these?

Thanks, glad you like it.

Well I started off many years ago believing in Aliens in flying saucers (I blame Close Encounters of the Third Kind for that as I saw it at a very impressionable age). But as I learned more I became totally sceptical of all such claims and became a UFO investigator.
    I've spend a lot of time on the internet in forums examining UFO footage, researching UFO stories and arguing with people who believe them. So yes, I have a great interest in aliens, UFOs and crop circles etc. :-)

Bearing in mind that there a rich seam of material to draw from, they can be done in anything from a few hours to a full day, though sometimes I can spend a few days mulling the idea over in my head before I start them.

edited December 1969

Where is the contest?

Members only forum... Part of the Platinum Club benefits.
  • crewsiecrewsie Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

bohemian

your work is amazing, your lighting is perfect, i wish mine were as good,

picturistic.deviantart.com

you can check out my comic covers and more, and any advice about lighting would be great, my predator movie poster could use some real work as its hard to see the creature to me

edited August 2012

Here's a quick one for tonight.

Character is James from Poser 6 with bog standard suit and tie. Hat was a freebie from the internet (can't remember where), umbrella is from Cyberworks. Posed in Poser and exported as an .obj file to import into Bryce.
    Lamp post I made very quickly using Bryce primitives and the background is Mega City 1 from Sparkyworld.
    Rain is one of David Brinnens "Pro Materials" for bryce.

Type added in Photoshop.

Inspired by the great British weather. :roll:

Singin-in-the-rain.jpg
    450 x 600 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick one for tonight.

Character is James from Poser 6 with bog standard suit and tie. Hat was a freebie from the internet (can't remember where), umbrella is from Cyberworks. Posed in Poser and exported as an .obj file to import into Bryce.
    Lamp post I made very quickly using Bryce primitives and the background is Mega City 1 from Sparkyworld.
    Rain is one of David Brinnens "Pro Materials" for bryce.

Type added in Photoshop.

Inspired by the great British weather. :roll:

Wow. That rain looks like a super downpour in a thunderstorm. And the water looks like its flooding the city. I think that guy should be heading for cover not singing. It should be called Singin' in the Storm!

edited December 1969

Here is a Character I was using in one of my ebooks I am working on. Its actually going to be a photo of his father that the main character will be looking at. I added the magazine cover around it to see how it would look. Turned out to be a perfect Army magazine cover.

Army-Life.jpg
    1111 x 1438 - 1M